DirecTV and Pac-12

HawksHawksHawks

Reaction score
Why can't they just figure it out????? I have no plans to ever go back to Comcast (at least not for TV service), but come on...at this point you would think cooler heads would prevail and some middle ground would have been identified. I'm getting angry.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Don't even get me started on this. I live in Montana and would love to see every Husky and Seahawk game, but it's just not possible anymore.

In 2010, the last year before they started showing games on the Pac-12 network, I swear I watched all but 1 Husky game on TV because if a major network wasn't carrying the game it would get picked up by a smaller one like Root Sports. Then the Pac-12 network comes along with promises to increase availability so that people can watch all the games. Yay! ...so what happens? Well, the small networks don't pick up any Pac-12 games anymore because the Pac-12 network gets them all, and not a single cable provider in Billings, the largest city in Montana with over 100,000 people in it offers the Pac-12 network. So, thanks to the Pac-12 Network, we now get to see less Husky games. And what really pisses me off is that we looked into getting it the first year it was out, and after seeing that it wasn't available, everything we were told from the Pac-12 and other experts was "Don't worry, it's still in it's first year. You will be able to get it very soon."....well it's now in it's FOURTH year and nothing has changed.

On top of that, all the people (like you) who have Direct-TV because they need Sunday Ticket to watch their favorite pro team are absolutely screwed if their college team is in the Pac-12 because you can't get the network from them. Last I heard (correct me if I'm wrong), the Pac-12 Network is holding out because they want more money or something. Or maybe it's the other way around. Either way, both companies are losing money from lots of people who are willing to switch to Direct TV so they can watch Pac-12 football games. It's like everyone is coming out a loser for no apparent reason.

In an age where we have more than enough infrastructure and technology to stream a game online or offer a network through any provider, all of this is totally ridiculous. We're going in the opposite direction of pleasing fans and customers.

Welp, too late...ya got me started on this. I usually rant about this every year. And it never changes.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Washington, D.C. (September 6, 2015) - As of this morning, DIRECTV has still not agreed to carry the Pac 12 Network. But for the first time in the three-year carriage battle, the regional sports channel has the advantage.

Until recently, the satcaster refused to make a deal with the Pac 12 Network largely because it believed it should be permitted to offer the channel a la carte, meaning subscribers would pay a separate monthly fee rather than getting it in an existing programming bundle.

The a la carte arrangement would allow DIRECTV to pay a smaller carriage fee because fewer subscribers would actually get the channel than if it was included in most programming packages. Consequently, not surprisingly, the Pac 12 Network objected and negotiations have stalled over the years.

But AT&T's recent purchase of DIRECTV has sparked a new set of talks because its TV service, UVerse, has carried the Pac 12 Network in a programming bundle, and AT&T has been a significant marketing partner. Pac 12 Commissioner Larry Scott said earlier this year he believed DIRECTV would add the Pac 12 Network after the AT&T executive team took over because of its strong relationship with the telco.

DIRECTV, however, still had plenty of leverage at the negotiating table -- until a week ago.

DBSTalk.com, a message board long favored and populated by DIRECTV employees, posted that the satcaster was testing the signal for the Pac 12 Network. The company always tests a channel's signal before launching it, which led to immediate speculation on social media sites, and in some publications, that DIRECTV would soon add the Pac 12 Network. Although a test does not always lead to a launch, in most cases it does.

More here:
http://www.tvpredictions.com/directv090615.htm

OP
OP
HawksHawksHawks

HawksHawksHawks

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1r5s9724 said:
Washington, D.C. (September 6, 2015) - As of this morning, DIRECTV has still not agreed to carry the Pac 12 Network. But for the first time in the three-year carriage battle, the regional sports channel has the advantage.

Until recently, the satcaster refused to make a deal with the Pac 12 Network largely because it believed it should be permitted to offer the channel a la carte, meaning subscribers would pay a separate monthly fee rather than getting it in an existing programming bundle.

The a la carte arrangement would allow DIRECTV to pay a smaller carriage fee because fewer subscribers would actually get the channel than if it was included in most programming packages. Consequently, not surprisingly, the Pac 12 Network objected and negotiations have stalled over the years.

But AT&T's recent purchase of DIRECTV has sparked a new set of talks because its TV service, UVerse, has carried the Pac 12 Network in a programming bundle, and AT&T has been a significant marketing partner. Pac 12 Commissioner Larry Scott said earlier this year he believed DIRECTV would add the Pac 12 Network after the AT&T executive team took over because of its strong relationship with the telco.

DIRECTV, however, still had plenty of leverage at the negotiating table -- until a week ago.

DBSTalk.com, a message board long favored and populated by DIRECTV employees, posted that the satcaster was testing the signal for the Pac 12 Network. The company always tests a channel's signal before launching it, which led to immediate speculation on social media sites, and in some publications, that DIRECTV would soon add the Pac 12 Network. Although a test does not always lead to a launch, in most cases it does.

More here:

These reports are what is getting me all fired up! They have been at it for weeks now and no news other than the signal test. My money says nothing happens.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawksHawksHawks":2k5y3vzl said:
KitsapGuy":2k5y3vzl said:

More here:

These reports are what is getting me all fired up! They have been at it for weeks now and no news other than the signal test. My money says nothing happens.
Agree HHH though hope we're both wrong. I've actually considered a return to Crapcast over this.................

Latest posts