Mariners OFF-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Which moves do you want seen made and other Seattle Mariners related stuff.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":2kro6se7 said:
Sports Hernia":2kro6se7 said:

Raul Ibanez or Joey Cora as manager. No more retreads, and I think either one would energize the fanbase, and gladly keep Edgar on staff.
I don't want Cora, but I'd take Raul you are going by the "no retreads" route.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3mp1z3ta said:
A change in ownership and Howard Lincoln dead. Hopefully burning in Hell. I'm done with the Mariners until then. Especially given I have a front row seat to seeing a team in the Mariners current position for 20+ years show EVERYONE how it's done if you actually care about winning over pure money and profit.

Step one..get decent scouts....step two actually keep your good players like Adam Jones and Choo...step three rinse and repeat while letting your baseball people do their jobs like that team across the street....

Crizilla

Reaction score
get rid of every sub .250 hitter, bring in Bogar for manager, get more athletic all around, find good contact hitters, etc

modern day baseball is about base hits and speed. Steroid era is over. The game has changed.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":2d99f2wi said:
get rid of every sub .250 hitter, bring in Bogar for manager, get more athletic all around, find good contact hitters, etc

modern day baseball is about base hits and speed. Steroid era is over. The game has changed.

Like 70% of MLB players hit under .250, who do you suggest we sign after cutting these players?

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1b6hjevi said:
Sports Hernia":1b6hjevi said:
A change in ownership and Howard Lincoln dead. Hopefully burning in Hell. I'm done with the Mariners until then. Especially given I have a front row seat to seeing a team in the Mariners current position for 20+ years show EVERYONE how it's done if you actually care about winning over pure money and profit.

Step one..get decent scouts....step two actually keep your good players like Adam Jones and Choo...step three rinse and repeat while letting your baseball people do their jobs like that team across the street....
I share and understand your frustration. Lincoln is clearly the turd in the M's punchbowl.
My problem is I'm a huge baseball fan.......... I like your solutions.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1715fk5l said:
MizzouHawkGal":1715fk5l said:
Sports Hernia":1715fk5l said:

I share and understand your frustration. Lincoln is clearly the turd in the M's punchbowl.
My problem is I'm a huge baseball fan.......... I like your solutions.
In order to sustain that level of mediocrity over such an extended period of time, it has to go higher than manager/players.

:229031_shrug:

As a fan, though, it is really hard to give up on the team. :|

Subzero717

Reaction score
They gave (allegedly) Dipoto full control on all baseball decisions. I'm okay with seeing if that holds true and what he can do with it. Let's see what he does and where it takes us.

chris98251

Reaction score
If he is good about 5 years winning will happen, then Lincoln will not be able to stand it and want to take control and he will leave like Gillick.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Maulbert":29wfq9bs said:
Sports Hernia":29wfq9bs said:

Raul Ibanez or Joey Cora as manager. No more retreads, and I think either one would energize the fanbase, and gladly keep Edgar on staff.

I will never understand why people are so intent on hiring former Mariners, nor any particular reason to expect either would make a good manager except that they were both well-liked as players. Cora, at least, has coaching experience, and has not been a player for some time. You can be a 'retread' by being a familiar name hired almost entirely for nostalgia and feelgoods.

I don't have a particular favorite managerial candidate, but I hope that the decision will be made based on their baseball philosophy and ability to work with DiPoto, not on whether they were likable players or connected to the M's franchise.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jkitsune":3a40eb9h said:
Maulbert":3a40eb9h said:
Sports Hernia":3a40eb9h said:

I will never understand why people are so intent on hiring former Mariners, nor any particular reason to expect either would make a good manager except that they were both well-liked as players. Cora, at least, has coaching experience, and has not been a player for some time. You can be a 'retread' by being a familiar name hired almost entirely for nostalgia and feelgoods.

I don't have a particular favorite managerial candidate, but I hope that the decision will be made based on their baseball philosophy and ability to work with DiPoto, not on whether they were likable players or connected to the M's franchise.
I want whomever gives the team the best chance to win a World Series. If that is a former mariner or not doesn't matter to me.

Winning cures everything.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":23gupdgt said:
I want whomever gives the team the best chance to win a World Series. If that is a former mariner or not doesn't matter to me.

Winning cures everything.

Agreed. Being a former Mariner shouldn't matter one whit when hiring a manager. I haven't ever seen or heard anything to make me believe Raul Ibanez should be hired to manage a Major League team, other than that he was a popular player. The M's, perhaps moreso than nearly any other franchise, really need to bring new points of view into their organization.

Hawker

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I think we need to address the rotation first. With Edgar's help we clearly saw a team-wide improvement at the plate during the 2nd half of the season, but our pitching faltered. Pitching also got worse late in the year in 2014 as well. Felix-Walker are a great 1, 2 punch. If we resign Kuma, great, but hopefully it is for a 1 year deal (I think he's lost a bit of his edge, with age). We cannot keep hoping Mr. Glass Paxton ever makes it out of April unscathed. We will see what Dipoto thinks of Hultzen/Elias. Will he target a free agent? I wouldn't mind acquiring the likes of Kazmir or better yet, Fister to help round out the rotation.

OF & 1st base are priorities. Would anyone want to pickup Cano's contract? I wish.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawker":1gf30o7k said:
Call me crazy, but I think we need to address the rotation first. With Edgar's help we clearly saw a team-wide improvement at the plate during the 2nd half of the season, but our pitching faltered. Pitching also got worse late in the year in 2014 as well. Felix-Walker are a great 1, 2 punch. If we resign Kuma, great, but hopefully it is for a 1 year deal (I think he's lost a bit of his edge, with age). We cannot keep hoping Mr. Glass Paxton ever makes it out of April unscathed. We will see what Dipoto thinks of Hultzen/Elias. Will he target a free agent? I wouldn't mind acquiring the likes of Kazmir or better yet, Fister to help round out the rotation.

OF & 1st base are priorities. Would anyone want to pickup Cano's contract? I wish.
Really need bullpen help too. And no, no one's gonna pick up Cano's contract. That's an albatross that will hang over this franchise for what, seven more years?

chris98251

Reaction score
They are interviewing hitters above .250 ?

He is a name, former Mariner, but I think he is unknown and Cheap to sign also. He has been tutored by the Red Sox which is good, at least a winning environment anyways.

Thats just one though, I am sure we will see at least 10 potential candidates.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":shwo07ki said:
They are interviewing hitters above .250 ?

He is a name, former Mariner, but I think he is unknown and Cheap to sign also. He has been tutored by the Red Sox which is good, at least a winning environment anyways.

Thats just one though, I am sure we will see at least 10 potential candidates.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gardenhire get a look...

Chapow

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1t7wh0xq said:
Crizilla":1t7wh0xq said:
get rid of every sub .250 hitter

Could the Mariners even field a team then?

:stirthepot:

Nope, and I doubt any other team could either. I highly doubt there is a single team in all of MLB that fielded a team that had every player hit .250 or better over the course of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.