2015 - 2016 Zags Thread

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Let's have some Gonzaga talk this year!

Lots of talk about playing the 3 big guys all at once. Sounds good in theory, but I doubt they'll all be on the court for long stretches. Karnowski is coming off illness, so he might be slowed to start the year. Sabonis has quickly become my favorite player, he just needs to play more under control and stay on the court.

We don't know a lot about the young guards, but I really think Josh Perkins will be the true point guard they missed last year.

Overall, I think they will be as good as last year's elite 8 team, maybe even better.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
What kind of game does sabonis have? As a blazer fan i was a big fan of his dads. Is the younger sabonis a skilled big man just like his daddy?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
They definitely have a chance to be as good as last year, but I do think they take a small step back as the backcourt isn't nearly as good with Pangos and Bell gone. I know the kid Perkins has a lot of talent, but Bell and Pangos were one of the best backcourt tandems in the nation last year. Hard to replace.

It will be the same old story for the Zags. A great season that ends somewhere between the round of 32 and sweet 16. I've said it many times before, but this team would be a whole lot better off playing in a power conference. And I know they are unable to because they are a religous private school. But playing a bunch of scrubs for 3 months straight and then having to go play the "big boys" doesn't bode well for them. I'm aware that they try to challenge themselves as much as possible in the non-conference schedule, but that's 3 months removed from the NCAA Tournament.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1fwwiu39 said:
What kind of game does sabonis have? As a blazer fan i was a big fan of his dads. Is the younger sabonis a skilled big man just like his daddy?

He's different than this Dad. Unlike his Dad who was big and bulky, baby Sabonis is much leaner. Like his dad, he is a good post player and is very skilled for a big man. He can handle the ball a bit too. He should be a first round NBA draft pick whenever he decides to go to the NBA. He will be the best Zag prospect since Morrison.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Zags.

The masses of unwashed Spokanites wearing their stained discount Bulldogs crap means the dark days of Winter are upon us, once again.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":cr3z1ryl said:
The masses of unwashed Spokanites wearing their stained discount Bulldogs crap means the dark days of Winter are upon us, once again.
Correct

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":22ro4lzc said:
He's different than this Dad. Unlike his Dad who was big and bulky, baby Sabonis is much leaner. Like his dad, he is a good post player and is very skilled for a big man. He can handle the ball a bit too. He should be a first round NBA draft pick whenever he decides to go to the NBA. He will be the best Zag prospect since Morrison.

Dad was a true NBA center. Domas should be a 4 in the NBA. He's definitely a better NBA prospect than Wiltjer IMO. Wiltjer can score but plays pretty soft.

Sabonis should translate pretty similar to Kelly Olynyk who was mid 1st round pick. Sabonis could be a double digit rebounder in the NBA.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":30x6o5ha said:
Hawk-Lock":30x6o5ha said:

Dad was a true NBA center. Domas should be a 4 in the NBA. He's definitely a better NBA prospect than Wiltjer IMO. Wiltjer can score but plays pretty soft.

Sabonis should translate pretty similar to Kelly Olynyk who was mid 1st round pick. Sabonis could be a double digit rebounder in the NBA.

Wiltjer is the better college basketball player, but Sabonis makes for the better NBA prospect. I expect Wiltjer to be one of the top players in college basketball this year. He could win the big award at the end of the year (I can't remember the name of it right now....Wooden Award?)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
What illness is Karnowski off of?

Big Zags fan here since I grew up in Spokane. And Hawk-Lock, I could not agree more that they would be a LOT better off in a power conference. Not only does the weak WCC hurt them later in the year after they've sharpened up early in the season playing tough out of conference opponents, but I think they come into the NCAA Tourney a bit off every year because there's like 10 says between the WCC championship game and the start of the NCAAs. That's of course so it can be on TV and that means $ so it ain't gonna change I'm afraid.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
They've tried to move to a better conference, but the Big East couldn't deal with the travel. There has always been hope that WCC teams would step up, but it's been really sporadic. Pepperdine is supposed be be decent this year, but St. Mary's is falling back. Having BYU helps a lot, hopefully they stick around.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Sabonis landed on his back in the exhibition and didn't play much. He may not make the flight to Okinawa.

Overall, the bigs dominated, but the outside shooting was pretty terrible. The game vs. Pittsburgh will be interesting. Gonzaga may be a team that needs a few weeks to figure out its rotations.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2bswzpst said:
They've tried to move to a better conference, but the Big East couldn't deal with the travel. There has always been hope that WCC teams would step up, but it's been really sporadic. Pepperdine is supposed be be decent this year, but St. Mary's is falling back. Having BYU helps a lot, hopefully they stick around.

No chance the Big East would accept a team from the west coast. It wouldn't be fair to the kids who would be stuck on 5 hour plane rides while also having to deal with school. Just too much traveling....and Gonzaga isn't really in the....east.

Pitt won't really be that great of a test for you guys. Sure they have the big name recognition that I'm sure most Zag fans like to hear, but they aren't a good team. They weren't very good last year, and are even worst this year. I'd expect them to finish near the bottom of the ACC. Zags should win easily.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
They will be very solid this year. The guards will improve a ton throughout the year. With that said, they will hold their own and come tournament time have the potential to make some noise. Tournament time all depends on match ups.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":1ba0t3up said:
Zags.

So it's similar to fall Saturdays at Husky Stadium?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Ah the Zags.. basically the Oregon Ducks of college basketball.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":25xzk16q said:

Not true. The ducks have a championship in basketball. My great, great grandpa told me so. (I think it was about the same time UW claimed their last football title). Plus, the zags don't have shiny things like helmets and uniforms and stuff.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":38wn1szh said:
Hasselbeck":38wn1szh said:

Not true. The ducks have a championship in basketball. My great, great grandpa told me so. (I think it was about the same time UW claimed their last football title). Plus, the zags don't have shiny things like helmets and uniforms and stuff.

Touche.

And the Ducks have actually made a Final 4.

:stirthepot:

razgriz737

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2b3uqozy said:
Zags.

This made me weirdly homesick.