Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Snow wheeling

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Snow wheeling
Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:40 pm
  • I was wondering if anybody is into running the trails in the winter time. I can't wait for the snow to come to me this year, after getting my new 4X4. The only thing is I'm affaid of scratching my baby.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2838
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum.


Re: Snow wheeling
Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:09 pm
  • That's the problem, if you have a 4x4 these days a trip up the trails will cause a bunch of damage, bodies of vehicles these days can get dented with a good fart. Why I liked my 74 Chev, made of steel and you could buff out scraps from branches and stuff.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 29950
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Snow wheeling
Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:40 pm
  • I use my Wheeler for hunting. Where we go they went on Wednesday for hunting. There was 8 inches on the ground in the lower areas. Up where we camp a foot was there. I may take the wheeler up for fishing Steelhead as it seemed to work fine for me in one area. If it is for the main road, probably not gonna happen. Pickups are easier for the damage that may occur. And Jeeps, sometime use Jeeps.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9400
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Snow wheeling
Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:45 pm
  • Chawker wrote:I was wondering if anybody is into running the trails in the winter time. I can't wait for the snow to come to me this year, after getting my new 4X4. The only thing is I'm affaid of scratching my baby.


    If you are talking about actual trails, not just unpaved logging or forest service roads, scratches will be the least of your concerns.

    A full size heavy duty pick up truck is an awful choice for a trail rig IMO.

    Having said that, I guessing that "running the trails" must mean something totally different to you than it does to me.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3371
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


Re: Snow wheeling
Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:08 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    Chawker wrote:I was wondering if anybody is into running the trails in the winter time. I can't wait for the snow to come to me this year, after getting my new 4X4. The only thing is I'm affaid of scratching my baby.


    If you are talking about actual trails, not just unpaved logging or forest service roads, scratches will be the least of your concerns.

    A full size heavy duty pick up truck is an awful choice for a trail rig IMO.

    Having said that, I guessing that "running the trails" must mean something totally different to you than it does to me.


    A 4X4 full size with enough ground clearance and enough weight over the rear axle, why not other than overall size being large?
    Rex
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1402
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:33 am


Re: Snow wheeling
Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:55 am
  • I know this may ruffle some feathers, but I stay off the back trail because the firefighters and forst service need those roads. Jeeps are too light and just tear up roads, because there owners don't think about others who have too and need those roads in a emergency. Or think of the condition of the ground underneath the snow.
    I prefer to let things freeze up good first, then I can run my chains and get the snow up too the top of the hood. (in dry powder) well at least up to the headlights. Its so sweat breaking the trail in 3 to 4 feet of snow at 5 m.p.h. Jeeps can't do this. But for me to do this, it takes a bottom layer of crust. 8 to 10 inch that has melted and re frozen, thats where a heavier rig will go and the lighter jeeps can't get up on top. I've driven in hip deep snow and my 3/4 ton truck will perform just fine.
    Respect our roads! and jeeps are for girls.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2838
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum.


Re: Snow wheeling
Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:23 pm
  • Chawker wrote:I know this may ruffle some feathers, but I stay off the back trail because the firefighters and forst service need those roads. Jeeps are too light and just tear up roads, because there owners don't think about others who have too and need those roads in a emergency. Or think of the condition of the ground underneath the snow.
    I prefer to let things freeze up good first, then I can run my chains and get the snow up too the top of the hood. (in dry powder) well at least up to the headlights. Its so sweat breaking the trail in 3 to 4 feet of snow at 5 m.p.h. Jeeps can't do this. But for me to do this, it takes a bottom layer of crust. 8 to 10 inch that has melted and re frozen, thats where a heavier rig will go and the lighter jeeps can't get up on top. I've driven in hip deep snow and my 3/4 ton truck will perform just fine.
    Respect our roads! and jeeps are for girls.




    You ruffled a feather. You have no idea what we do with my friend's Jeep. You.....I shall leave it at that.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9400
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Snow wheeling
Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:38 am
  • Sorry, seahawkfan80! We all know jeeps are chick magnets. There are alot of responsible jeep owners out there, but there are also alot of other young drivers (of all makes) that don't care about our forests or there roads. Our forsts can be enjoyed without destroying them.
    There is a thanksgiving day run (back road trails for mainly jeeps) planed in Liberty WA. Blewitt pass. If you want more info. on this check out snowtrek.org Cheers
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2838
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum.


Re: Snow wheeling
Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:48 pm
  • Chawker wrote:I know this may ruffle some feathers, but I stay off the back trail because the firefighters and forst service need those roads. Jeeps are too light and just tear up roads, because there owners don't think about others who have too and need those roads in a emergency. Or think of the condition of the ground underneath the snow.
    I prefer to let things freeze up good first, then I can run my chains and get the snow up too the top of the hood. (in dry powder) well at least up to the headlights. Its so sweat breaking the trail in 3 to 4 feet of snow at 5 m.p.h. Jeeps can't do this. But for me to do this, it takes a bottom layer of crust. 8 to 10 inch that has melted and re frozen, thats where a heavier rig will go and the lighter jeeps can't get up on top. I've driven in hip deep snow and my 3/4 ton truck will perform just fine.
    Respect our roads! and jeeps are for girls.


    Not sure where you're from, but you can't typically do that in WA snow as it's simply too wet and heavy. It doesn't really get powdery here. Most emergency roads and sensitive trails like Naches are closed off during the winter and not opened until they are dry enough to not be torn up during the spring when they're still wet and muddy. With the right gearing and lockers, Jeeps can do just fine. The biggest factor is what's behind the steering wheel.


    Rex wrote:A 4X4 full size with enough ground clearance and enough weight over the rear axle, why not other than overall size being large?


    Full size rigs are gonna have a bad day on a lot of the western ORV parks here which were made back in the day for small Toyota pick ups and SWB Jeeps. Trails are heavily rutted and off-camber and are just going to shove you into trees, which offer very little room for error even in small rigs. Central/eastern WA are much more open and friendly for snowy adventures.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3261
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:36 am
    Location: PNW




It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests