Snow wheeling

Chawker

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody is into running the trails in the winter time. I can't wait for the snow to come to me this year, after getting my new 4X4. The only thing is I'm affaid of scratching my baby.

chris98251

Reaction score
That's the problem, if you have a 4x4 these days a trip up the trails will cause a bunch of damage, bodies of vehicles these days can get dented with a good fart. Why I liked my 74 Chev, made of steel and you could buff out scraps from branches and stuff.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I use my Wheeler for hunting. Where we go they went on Wednesday for hunting. There was 8 inches on the ground in the lower areas. Up where we camp a foot was there. I may take the wheeler up for fishing Steelhead as it seemed to work fine for me in one area. If it is for the main road, probably not gonna happen. Pickups are easier for the damage that may occur. And Jeeps, sometime use Jeeps.

Chapow

Reaction score
Chawker":3n3zcetw said:
I was wondering if anybody is into running the trails in the winter time. I can't wait for the snow to come to me this year, after getting my new 4X4. The only thing is I'm affaid of scratching my baby.

If you are talking about actual trails, not just unpaved logging or forest service roads, scratches will be the least of your concerns.

A full size heavy duty pick up truck is an awful choice for a trail rig IMO.

Having said that, I guessing that "running the trails" must mean something totally different to you than it does to me.

Rex

Reaction score
Chapow":1ys4ijlw said:
Chawker":1ys4ijlw said:

If you are talking about actual trails, not just unpaved logging or forest service roads, scratches will be the least of your concerns.

A full size heavy duty pick up truck is an awful choice for a trail rig IMO.

Having said that, I guessing that "running the trails" must mean something totally different to you than it does to me.

A 4X4 full size with enough ground clearance and enough weight over the rear axle, why not other than overall size being large?

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
I know this may ruffle some feathers, but I stay off the back trail because the firefighters and forst service need those roads. Jeeps are too light and just tear up roads, because there owners don't think about others who have too and need those roads in a emergency. Or think of the condition of the ground underneath the snow.
I prefer to let things freeze up good first, then I can run my chains and get the snow up too the top of the hood. (in dry powder) well at least up to the headlights. Its so sweat breaking the trail in 3 to 4 feet of snow at 5 m.p.h. Jeeps can't do this. But for me to do this, it takes a bottom layer of crust. 8 to 10 inch that has melted and re frozen, thats where a heavier rig will go and the lighter jeeps can't get up on top. I've driven in hip deep snow and my 3/4 ton truck will perform just fine.
Respect our roads! and jeeps are for girls.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Chawker":n1ix9dn7 said:
I know this may ruffle some feathers, but I stay off the back trail because the firefighters and forst service need those roads. Jeeps are too light and just tear up roads, because there owners don't think about others who have too and need those roads in a emergency. Or think of the condition of the ground underneath the snow.
I prefer to let things freeze up good first, then I can run my chains and get the snow up too the top of the hood. (in dry powder) well at least up to the headlights. Its so sweat breaking the trail in 3 to 4 feet of snow at 5 m.p.h. Jeeps can't do this. But for me to do this, it takes a bottom layer of crust. 8 to 10 inch that has melted and re frozen, thats where a heavier rig will go and the lighter jeeps can't get up on top. I've driven in hip deep snow and my 3/4 ton truck will perform just fine.

You ruffled a feather. You have no idea what we do with my friend's Jeep. You.....I shall leave it at that.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Sorry, seahawkfan80! We all know jeeps are chick magnets. There are alot of responsible jeep owners out there, but there are also alot of other young drivers (of all makes) that don't care about our forests or there roads. Our forsts can be enjoyed without destroying them.
There is a thanksgiving day run (back road trails for mainly jeeps) planed in Liberty WA. Blewitt pass. If you want more info. on this check out snowtrek.org Cheers

253hawk

Reaction score
Chawker":rn8upxtq said:

Not sure where you're from, but you can't typically do that in WA snow as it's simply too wet and heavy. It doesn't really get powdery here. Most emergency roads and sensitive trails like Naches are closed off during the winter and not opened until they are dry enough to not be torn up during the spring when they're still wet and muddy. With the right gearing and lockers, Jeeps can do just fine. The biggest factor is what's behind the steering wheel.

Rex":rn8upxtq said:
A 4X4 full size with enough ground clearance and enough weight over the rear axle, why not other than overall size being large?

Full size rigs are gonna have a bad day on a lot of the western ORV parks here which were made back in the day for small Toyota pick ups and SWB Jeeps. Trails are heavily rutted and off-camber and are just going to shove you into trees, which offer very little room for error even in small rigs. Central/eastern WA are much more open and friendly for snowy adventures.