Rowdy Ronda Rousey beat like a dog

Rocket

Reaction score
Holm showed that a good boxer, not a striker, with a legendary boxing coach can whip an Olympic medalist Judoka who knows how to punch.
Rousey looked unprepared and her strategy sucked ass, she walked into a handful of good punches, her face looked whupped and she was kicked out cold.

Her Momma did say, a week or two ago, that she wasn't happy with Ronda's boxing coach, Tarverdyan(sp?).
Momma's know. Ask Marshawn.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Dang, she caught that foot square on the chin, she was out before she hit the mat. Kinda of reminded me of the "Sean Lee treatment" that Golden Tate handed out where Lee was catching Z's before he hit the C-link turf!

Tical21

Reaction score
I've been telling anybody who would listen for years that a good boxer whoops a MMA "striker" 10 times out of 10.

253hawk

Reaction score
Since all of the streamable links are getting taken down:

IckyScornfulHorse.gif

ygkfouxr5u.gif

knownone

Reaction score
People who thought Rousey was unbeatable are clueless. I hope this serves as a wake up call, as much as I like the girl, she's nothing special.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don't follow MMA/UFC much, but a guy I used to work with that was a huge fan said, "no one is invincible, and anyone can be beat at anytime, and that's the beauty of it" and "champions usually don't have long title reigns". Looks like he is right.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
She won't be getting movies deals if her face keeps taking beatings like that.

Chapow

Reaction score
Tical21":ayn7vw5x said:
I've been telling anybody who would listen for years that a good boxer whoops a MMA "striker" 10 times out of 10.

I think that is far too sweeping and general of a statement to be true and doesn't really reflect what happened in this fight for a number of reasons.

First, Rousey is not a striker. Striking is and always has been the weakest part of her game. Most of her wins are by submission, specifically, by arm bar. She generally takes her opponents down and over powers them on the ground.

Second, calling Holm a "good boxer" is a pretty drastic understatement.

For the record, before bolting for MMA, Holm was the IBA, WBC, WBF, WBAN, IFBA, WIBA, and NABF welterweight champion of the world and had a pro record of 32-2-3 in the boxing world.

She is in the discussion for greatest female welterweight of all time.

Third, while boxing is obviously her strength, she has been training in other disciplines for years now. She is no longer just a boxer, she is an MMA fighter.

Holm uses a variety of kicking techniques, often targeting the body with a fast side kick, pushing back a rush with a low oblique kick, and attacking the head with a left high kick

The knock out blow was a left high kick. Can't do that in boxing.

I think it's fair to say that a good boxer whoops an MMA striker the vast majority of the time in a boxing match. However, IMO, a good MMA striker whoops a good boxer the vast majority of the time in an MMA match.

Remember James Toney? I think with a record of 72-6-3, two no-contests, we can agree that he was a good boxer.

The next time a professional boxer with no mixed martial arts experience considers stepping into the Octagon, he should take a look at what happened Saturday to James Toney at UFC 118.

In the months leading up to the fight, Toney spoke repeatedly of being able to fight from his back. He told anyone who'd listen that he would knock Couture out, standing or on the ground.

"You will see how James Toney boxes. You will see that James Toney hits hard," Toney told ESPN.com recently. "You will see why James Toney hardly ever gets hit.

"As far as takedowns come, I welcome them. If he tries to take me down, it's going to be a short night for him. A very short night."

It was, but not the way Toney envisioned.

No boxer can walk into MMA without spending significant time learning at least one other fight discipline. Toney learned this lesson the hard way -- by having his lights put out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/new ... id=5507475

Last thing I want to say regarding this fight specifically, that was one of the worst strategies I have ever seen in an MMA fight and the exact opposite of what Rousey should have done. I can't imagine what led her to believe that standing and striking with Holm would be anything but bad for her. That is playing to Holms greatest strength and her greatest weakness. Rousey has improved her striking, but she is still severely outclassed by Holm in that category. She and her trainers should have known this and game planned for it. Instead, it looked like the plan was to just go out there and bang with Holm. She, and her trainers, absolutely set her up for failure in this fight. It was ridiculous.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":21pw9suh said:
She won't be getting movies deals if her face keeps taking beatings like that.

She was scheduled to take time off to film Roadhouse 2. Pretty convenient timing huh? :16:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is good for the sport, now Rousey has some competition with all these women coming up younger and hungrier.

Before Rousey and the women's side of UFC was pretty much a novelty with her beating the crap out of her opponents in 30 seconds. If the sport wants any sort of legitimacy, there has to be competition.