Worst Contract In Sports Right Now?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The Red Sox just gave David Price a 7 year contract worth $217 million. That's roughly $31 million per year for a pitcher who is already 30 years old and has been really bad in the postseason. I like Price, but I don't even think he is a top 5-7 pitcher right now. When these huge deals get inked, you can almost predict how bad they will look a few years from now.

At least this makes the Cano deal look a little bit better :lol:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2n98u1mm said:
The Red Sox just gave David Price a 7 year contract worth $217 million. That's roughly $31 million per year for a pitcher who is already 30 years old and has been really bad in the postseason. I like Price, but I don't even think he is a top 5-7 pitcher right now. When these huge deals get inked, you can almost predict how bad they will look a few years from now.

He's top 5 in the regular season but definitely not the post season. He sucks in the playoffs. No matter the cost, they're the Red Sox and they print their own money. But yeah, not a good contract. If it were 31 per for 5 years then OK.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Heard on the radio that if he averages the same number of pitches per year as he has been he'll be earning $9,000 every pitch he throws.

TravTex

Reaction score
JSeahawks":wem5ky1m said:
Heard on the radio that if he averages the same number of pitches per year as he has been he'll be earning $9,000 every pitch he throws.

$36,000 for an intentional walk. I'd take that gig.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1c7lpe6p said:
Hawk-Lock":1c7lpe6p said:

He's top 5 in the regular season but definitely not the post season. He sucks in the playoffs. No matter the cost, they're the Red Sox and they print their own money. But yeah, not a good contract. If it were 31 per for 5 years then OK.

He's a borderline top 5 regular season pitcher. But what good is he if he is no better than a #3 starting pitcher in a playoffs rotation? The Jays basically skipped him in the playoff rotation to go with Stroman instead. I'd take Felix, Kershaw, Sherzer, Sale, Kuechel, and Greinke over Price in the regular season. And then it's close between him and guys like Kluber, Lester, MadBum, and Greinke.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Huge contract but in baseball it doesn't really matter to big market teams. Buchholz has ace potential but gets hurt every year like clockwork so they needed a #1. He will pitch very well in the regular season which is probably what they're focused on now since they've been a bottom dweller outside of the WS win far too often for their budget. It still doesn't fix 2-5 in their rotation (3-5 when Clay isn't out 5 months with a stomach ache)

I do like their outfield though. Young up and comers.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
mistaowen":5y6muyum said:
Huge contract but in baseball it doesn't really matter to big market teams. Buchholz has ace potential but gets hurt every year like clockwork so they needed a #1. He will pitch very well in the regular season which is probably what they're focused on now since they've been a bottom dweller outside of the WS win far too often for their budget. It still doesn't fix 2-5 in their rotation (3-5 when Clay isn't out 5 months with a stomach ache)

I do like their outfield though. Young up and comers.

Exactly, with no hard salary cap the amount of money a baseball team wishes to pay any particular player is really only a concern to them.

Everyone is so concerned about the M's contract to Cano... but it's their money. It really only impacts their progress negatively if a. he doesn't perform and b. all the money they have is tied up in him.

I highly doubt b. is the case.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
My nominations for worst contracts in sports right now,

- Kaka (six years 70 million)
- Ryan Howard (five years 125 million)
- Amare Stoudemire (five years 100 million)
- Albert Pujols (10 years 254 million)

Can probably throw in Josh Hamilton with Pujols, I think the Angels are still going to be paying on that contract.

Hawker

Reaction score
As far as ROI goes (return on investment) thus far, Cano should be in the discussion.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawker":2riwj4nb said:
As far as ROI goes (return on investment) thus far, Cano should be in the discussion.

He might be in a couple years if he has another 2-3 years like last year. But IMO too soon to label him "worst contract."

Plus you have to remember we probably wouldn't have gotten Cruz to sign if Cano wasn't here to legitimize the club's commitment to trying to win.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hawker":8mvb18oa said:

The moment Cano signed it was pretty obvious it was going to be a bad contract. 10 years contracts are only good for players who haven't reached their prime like when Giancarlo Stanton signed last year.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Greinke just got 6 years $206 million from the Dbacks. That's roughly $34 million per year. David Price got to be the highest paid pitcher for about 3 days lol.

Rat

Reaction score
I'd call it a tie between Charlie Weis' contract with Notre Dame and his contract with Kansas. He's getting an insane amount of money to not coach two teams. I believe he's in the top five paid coaches still.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1kxwtyq8 said:
Greinke just got 6 years $206 million from the Dbacks. That's roughly $34 million per year. David Price got to be the highest paid pitcher for about 3 days lol.

I love his honesty about not caring where he pitches at all, everything comes down to the money. Hilariously cocky/kinda d-baggy but he produces.

Subzero717

Reaction score
mistaowen":31myd4yd said:
Hawk-Lock":31myd4yd said:

I love his honesty about not caring where he pitches at all, everything comes down to the money. Hilariously cocky/kinda d-baggy but he produces.
I love the honesty. He's a regular person that did what any other person on this board would do and was honest about it.

Latest posts