Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:26 pm
  • MLS announced the home openers of every team today. Seattle will begin the season at home against Sporting KC on March 6. The game will be nationally televised on FS1.
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9568
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 am
  • Leo Gonzalez had departed the club back to Costa Rica (same club he left to come here).

    Andy Rose has departed for Coventry City on a free transfer. The contract is for 18 months.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:22 pm
  • None of those losses bother me, Gonzalez was good when healthy but was injury prone and getting old. We can do better than Rose in midfield.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1088
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:38 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:None of those losses bother me, Gonzalez was good when healthy but was injury prone and getting old. We can do better than Rose in midfield.



    On this note, It is rumored that Sounders are eyeing a move to a 3 man midfield in some form of 433. With players like Friberg, Ivanschitz, Roldan and Alonso (for now) I like the idea.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:24 am
  • I hear the timbers are starting the season with a rematch against Columbus. Kind of a bumber, I was hoping the sounders could experience the unveiling of a championship banner or something.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23292
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:43 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:I hear the timbers are starting the season with a rematch against Columbus. Kind of a bumber, I was hoping the sounders could experience the unveiling of a championship banner or something.



    You are the timber fan that people despise. Just ramble on without having the slightest clue about what you are saying.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3092
    Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:52 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:38 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:I hear the timbers are starting the season with a rematch against Columbus. Kind of a bumber, I was hoping the sounders could experience the unveiling of a championship banner or something.



    You are the timber fan that people despise. Just ramble on without having the slightest clue about what you are saying.


    :lol: thank you sir, mission accomplished. ill leave your thread now, just had to get one shot in.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23292
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:30 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:I hear the timbers are starting the season with a rematch against Columbus. Kind of a bumber, I was hoping the sounders could experience the unveiling of a championship banner or something.



    You are the timber fan that people despise. Just ramble on without having the slightest clue about what you are saying.


    :lol: thank you sir, mission accomplished. ill leave your thread now, just had to get one shot in.


    See ya livinginhawktown.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3092
    Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:52 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:08 am

Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:20 am
  • Morris is turning pro, but it looks like he's not excited about joining the Sounders right now. He's training in Germany.

    Maybe that's good for him, but I'd like to see him at least spend one season in Seattle getting his feet wet before going to Europe.

    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/01 ... der-bremen
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12324
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:21 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Morris is turning pro, but it looks like he's not excited about joining the Sounders right now. He's training in Germany.

    Maybe that's good for him, but I'd like to see him at least spend one season in Seattle getting his feet wet before going to Europe.

    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/01 ... der-bremen

    I don't believe Morris training in Germany means anything. The Sounders don't start training until February, and a guy training in Europe before signing isn't that uncommon, Ozzie did it the year he became a DP. Until he signs consider the Sounders a strong contender for his services.

    **Mod not knowing how to use mod tools**
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1294
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:23 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Morris is turning pro, but it looks like he's not excited about joining the Sounders right now. He's training in Germany.

    Maybe that's good for him, but I'd like to see him at least spend one season in Seattle getting his feet wet before going to Europe.

    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/01 ... der-bremen

    I don't believe Morris training in Germany means anything. The Sounders don't start training until February, and a guy training in Europe before signing isn't that uncommon, Ozzie did it the year he became a DP. Until he signs consider the Sounders a strong contender for his services.

    Exactly...there is not a ton going on in the MLS right now, so if you want to get/stay fit you need to find the leagues that are up and running.

    Germany just had their holiday break, so he may have been invited to work light with a squad for a few weeks. with games ramping up again he may be back in the states.


    idk, it sure seems like training in Germany this week over just waiting a couple weeks to train with the Sounders at the start of their camp tells me Morris is eyeing Europe over MLS.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12324
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:30 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Morris is turning pro, but it looks like he's not excited about joining the Sounders right now. He's training in Germany.

    Maybe that's good for him, but I'd like to see him at least spend one season in Seattle getting his feet wet before going to Europe.

    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/01 ... der-bremen

    I don't believe Morris training in Germany means anything. The Sounders don't start training until February, and a guy training in Europe before signing isn't that uncommon, Ozzie did it the year he became a DP. Until he signs consider the Sounders a strong contender for his services.

    Exactly...there is not a ton going on in the MLS right now, so if you want to get/stay fit you need to find the leagues that are up and running.

    Germany just had their holiday break, so he may have been invited to work light with a squad for a few weeks. with games ramping up again he may be back in the states.


    idk, it sure seems like training in Germany this week over just waiting a couple weeks to train with the Sounders at the start of their camp tells me Morris is eyeing Europe over MLS.

    I don't know whose editing my messages, but I didn't say that last bit after my first paragraph.

    I don't see that at all. Going on trial with Werder Bremen gives Jordan a fairly accurate barometer of where he stands in the professional game. Let's face it Jordan is a pretty big deal here in the USA, but in Germany there are hundreds of other kids just as promising, who've actually spent time in a professional academy and professional systems. I don't believe Jordan is ready to be a regular in the Bundesliga and I believe his trial will prove that to him.

    That's why I think Seattle has the best chance, Seattle offers him the chance to get acclimated to professional football in a positive no pressure environment and in one or two years he can move on to Europe, or he can take a career risk now and go battle his ways onto a European roster.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1294
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:58 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    knownone wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Morris is turning pro, but it looks like he's not excited about joining the Sounders right now. He's training in Germany.

    Maybe that's good for him, but I'd like to see him at least spend one season in Seattle getting his feet wet before going to Europe.

    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/01 ... der-bremen

    I don't believe Morris training in Germany means anything. The Sounders don't start training until February, and a guy training in Europe before signing isn't that uncommon, Ozzie did it the year he became a DP. Until he signs consider the Sounders a strong contender for his services.

    Exactly...there is not a ton going on in the MLS right now, so if you want to get/stay fit you need to find the leagues that are up and running.

    Germany just had their holiday break, so he may have been invited to work light with a squad for a few weeks. with games ramping up again he may be back in the states.


    idk, it sure seems like training in Germany this week over just waiting a couple weeks to train with the Sounders at the start of their camp tells me Morris is eyeing Europe over MLS.

    I don't know whose editing my messages, but I didn't say that last bit after my first paragraph.

    I don't see that at all. Going on trial with Werder Bremen gives Jordan a fairly accurate barometer of where he stands in the professional game. Let's face it Jordan is a pretty big deal here in the USA, but in Germany there are hundreds of other kids just as promising, who've actually spent time in a professional academy and professional systems. I don't believe Jordan is ready to be a regular in the Bundesliga and I believe his trial will prove that to him.

    That's why I think Seattle has the best chance, Seattle offers him the chance to get acclimated to professional football in a positive no pressure environment and in one or two years he can move on to Europe, or he can take a career risk now and go battle his ways onto a European roster.


    This would definitely be the safest step he could take and the route I hope he chooses. Regardless, it is going to be fun to keep an eye on him and see how he develops. I just pray its with Seattle :mrgreen:

    Off topic: How long have you guys been Sounders fans or soccer fans in general? I'm going on two years for both! I live in Kentucky and growing up here the only sports we are really exposed to is basketball and American football, and everything else is generally disregarded. Soccer seems to be picking up major steam here, though. The FIFA games changed everything for me and lead me to fall in love with the sport and Sounders.
    hillbillyhawk12
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 10
    Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:56 pm
    Location: Appalachia


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:41 am
  • knownone wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Morris is turning pro, but it looks like he's not excited about joining the Sounders right now. He's training in Germany.

    Maybe that's good for him, but I'd like to see him at least spend one season in Seattle getting his feet wet before going to Europe.

    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/01 ... der-bremen

    I don't believe Morris training in Germany means anything. The Sounders don't start training until February, and a guy training in Europe before signing isn't that uncommon, Ozzie did it the year he became a DP. Until he signs consider the Sounders a strong contender for his services.

    **Mod not knowing how to use mod tools**



    I said it...

    Exactly...there is not a ton going on in the MLS right now, so if you want to get/stay fit you need to find the leagues that are up and running.

    Germany just had their holiday break, so he may have been invited to work light with a squad for a few weeks. with games ramping up again he may be back in the states.

    I will say this... the MLS is not a feeder/developmental league, and this is something young players realize. Players are not "developed" in the MLS. Most talented players are thrown right into the first team and asked to make an impact in a competitive league, for all intents and purposes, that is still creating itself, its image and its style of play. It's not a league to build yourself in.

    the safer play really would be a European club, sitting on the bench for a Mid-tier team in one of the 4 major leagues, training at a high level, getting cup competitions, reserve league matches and the random league game. The MLS will not provide that kind of nurturing for Jordan. He will be asked by the Sounders to play alot, and score goals.

    Not saying one is better than the other. Depends on the player.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12463
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:30 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    I will say this... the MLS is not a feeder/developmental league, and this is something young players realize. Players are not "developed" in the MLS. Most talented players are thrown right into the first team and asked to make an impact in a competitive league, for all intents and purposes, that is still creating itself, its image and its style of play. It's not a league to build yourself in.

    the safer play really would be a European club, sitting on the bench for a Mid-tier team in one of the 4 major leagues, training at a high level, getting cup competitions, reserve league matches and the random league game. The MLS will not provide that kind of nurturing for Jordan. He will be asked by the Sounders to play alot, and score goals.

    Not saying one is better than the other. Depends on the player.


    You're exactly right, but IMO Morris is the one college player........maybe ever that's talented enough both physically and mentally to not need the MLS to be the kind of developmental league you're talking about.

    IMO starting and playing full 90's for the Sounders > playing very limited for a lower level Euro league (or 2nd division Euro club).

    1-2 years max though. If Morris is as talented as we think he is, hanging around in the MLS for more than a year or two would not be beneficial. But one or two years? I don't think that'd be a bad thing.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12324
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:26 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    I will say this... the MLS is not a feeder/developmental league, and this is something young players realize. Players are not "developed" in the MLS. Most talented players are thrown right into the first team and asked to make an impact in a competitive league, for all intents and purposes, that is still creating itself, its image and its style of play. It's not a league to build yourself in.

    the safer play really would be a European club, sitting on the bench for a Mid-tier team in one of the 4 major leagues, training at a high level, getting cup competitions, reserve league matches and the random league game. The MLS will not provide that kind of nurturing for Jordan. He will be asked by the Sounders to play alot, and score goals.

    Not saying one is better than the other. Depends on the player.


    You're exactly right, but IMO Morris is the one college player........maybe ever that's talented enough both physically and mentally to not need the MLS to be the kind of developmental league you're talking about.

    IMO starting and playing full 90's for the Sounders > playing very limited for a lower level Euro league (or 2nd division Euro club).

    1-2 years max though. If Morris is as talented as we think he is, hanging around in the MLS for more than a year or two would not be beneficial. But one or two years? I don't think that'd be a bad thing.


    Steve Zakuani?

    anyways.. I'm not suggesting talents like Jordan Morris play overseas at a low level. He's got enough talent to secure a spot on a very good team in one of the top 4 leagues. Bremen may not be it, but imagine if he landed a spot on Shalke? Valencia? Stoke or Everton?

    In terms of development, the MLS is not the place for that. Players are vetted immediately into a frenetic, physical style of play in which tactical and technical play is somewhat limited, and that does not help young players grow.. they learn to adapt to that style. It is very difficult to find players who have left MLS to Europe and found much success. I think there is a reason for that.

    But again, that's up to what Jordan wants. Given how long he has taken in this decision I'm fairly certain he is exercising all of the options.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12463
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:56 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Steve Zakuani?

    anyways.. I'm not suggesting talents like Jordan Morris play overseas at a low level. He's got enough talent to secure a spot on a very good team in one of the top 4 leagues. Bremen may not be it, but imagine if he landed a spot on Shalke? Valencia? Stoke or Everton?

    In terms of development, the MLS is not the place for that. Players are vetted immediately into a frenetic, physical style of play in which tactical and technical play is somewhat limited, and that does not help young players grow.. they learn to adapt to that style. It is very difficult to find players who have left MLS to Europe and found much success. I think there is a reason for that.

    But again, that's up to what Jordan wants. Given how long he has taken in this decision I'm fairly certain he is exercising all of the options.


    Zak?

    Dude got his leg broke in exactly the MLS you've described above. If anything, he SHOULD have gone to Europe instead of being baptized into the physical MLS.

    I'm selfish, I'd love to see Morris in a Sounders kit. But I won't begrudge him if he stays overseas. Kid's a phenomenal talent, maybe the best ever coming out of college.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12324
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:58 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Steve Zakuani?

    anyways.. I'm not suggesting talents like Jordan Morris play overseas at a low level. He's got enough talent to secure a spot on a very good team in one of the top 4 leagues. Bremen may not be it, but imagine if he landed a spot on Shalke? Valencia? Stoke or Everton?

    In terms of development, the MLS is not the place for that. Players are vetted immediately into a frenetic, physical style of play in which tactical and technical play is somewhat limited, and that does not help young players grow.. they learn to adapt to that style. It is very difficult to find players who have left MLS to Europe and found much success. I think there is a reason for that.

    But again, that's up to what Jordan wants. Given how long he has taken in this decision I'm fairly certain he is exercising all of the options.


    Zak?

    Dude got his leg broke in exactly the MLS you've described above. If anything, he SHOULD have gone to Europe instead of being baptized into the physical MLS.

    I'm selfish, I'd love to see Morris in a Sounders kit. But I won't begrudge him if he stays overseas. Kid's a phenomenal talent, maybe the best ever coming out of college.


    That was my point. I would say Zak was as ready if not more to play in the MLS straight out of college as Jordan Morris
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12463
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:47 am
  • Neither option is bad for Morris.


    His presence helps the Sounders, but hard to argue with a shot in Germany.

    The Sounders have a lot to lose if he doesn't sign here...not just depth, but financially it would suck.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:21 am
  • I know a lot of people arent watching the Superdraft (on right now), but it is absolutely insane. So many trades. Through 12 picks we've seen 8 or so trades including one swapping the top of the allocation order in a rumor that USMNT player Alejandro Bedoya is coming to MLS.


    Sounders have traded their first round pick and allocation money to the Chicago Fire for a player to be named later. So speculation is hot right now.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:27 am
  • Smurf wrote:I know a lot of people arent watching the Superdraft (on right now), but it is absolutely insane. So many trades. Through 12 picks we've seen 8 or so trades including one swapping the top of the allocation order in a rumor that USMNT player Alejandro Bedoya is coming to MLS.


    Sounders have traded their first round pick and allocation money to the Chicago Fire for a player to be named later. So speculation is hot right now.



    Its as if there are no players worth drafting...
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12463
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:37 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:I know a lot of people arent watching the Superdraft (on right now), but it is absolutely insane. So many trades. Through 12 picks we've seen 8 or so trades including one swapping the top of the allocation order in a rumor that USMNT player Alejandro Bedoya is coming to MLS.


    Sounders have traded their first round pick and allocation money to the Chicago Fire for a player to be named later. So speculation is hot right now.



    Its as if there are no players worth drafting...



    Ouch, those kids have families.


    Also, this class is much weaker than last years from what I've read....so kind of true...
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:17 pm
  • Player to be named later has a name. Its Leftback Joevin Jones.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:32 pm
  • Are kids playing in the NPL or USL eligible to be drafted, or are they purchased?
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12463
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:36 pm
  • CB Tony Alfaro is our second round pick.


    Alfaro is said to be the most technical CB available.

    Should start with S2.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:37 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Are kids playing in the NPL or USL eligible to be drafted, or are they purchased?



    Purchased.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:41 pm
  • Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Are kids playing in the NPL or USL eligible to be drafted, or are they purchased?



    Purchased.


    Might explain why the draft is so slow...

    Been waiting to see if talented, young players bypass college altogether. I know some D1 coaches that are finding recruiting more and more difficult. With the rise of the MLS academies, be even less reason for a. college soccer as a career engine, and b. an MLS draft.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12463
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:48 pm
  • 3rd draft pick: Midfielder Zach Mathers
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:48 pm
  • Speculation is that the Sounders are moving from the 442 into a 433.

    Rumors also swirling that the team is trying to trade Ozzie Alonso....still...
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:30 am
  • New day, new rumors.

    Today:

    Nelson Valdez is looking to exit the club. Talks are apparently on going with a club outside the league.

    Oba Martins has snubbed a loan deal to Aston Villa in part because a different EPL club is after his services.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:32 am
  • I still don't get the "Speculation" around the team's preferred formation...

    Teams change formations all the time, often times throughout a single game.

    Nothing about the current Sounders lineup indicates they have the speed to play with true wingers anyways.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12463
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:55 pm
  • Not sounders related but was hoping you guys could share your opinions on this.

    Timbers have traded for jack mcinerney. The article makes him sound pretty damn impressive, but it's from a timbers slant so obviously it's biased.

    Thoughts?



    http://www.timbers.com/post/2016/01/13/ ... us-crew-sc
    Last edited by JSeahawks on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23292
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:18 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Not sounders related but was hoping you guys could share your opinions on this.

    Timbers have traded for jack mcinerney. The article makes him sound pretty damn impressive, but it's from a timbers slant so obviously it's biased.

    Thoughts?



    He is wildly inconsistent. So he's pretty much perfect for you guys.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:19 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:I still don't get the "Speculation" around the team's preferred formation...

    Teams change formations all the time, often times throughout a single game.

    Nothing about the current Sounders lineup indicates they have the speed to play with true wingers anyways.



    While this is true. Sigi does not. He rarely changes from the main system.


    and to be fair....we lack the speed to play most formations.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:12 pm
  • Valdez wants to jump ship after just 1/2 a season....wow. Oba possibly leaving. Things aren't so rosy with the Sounders. Oba would be a huge loss and Morris signing wouldn't even make up for that one. Oba is the best player on team bar none. I'd rather Dempsey go before Oba.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6715
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:59 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Valdez wants to jump ship after just 1/2 a season....wow. Oba possibly leaving. Things aren't so rosy with the Sounders. Oba would be a huge loss and Morris signing wouldn't even make up for that one. Oba is the best player on team bar none. I'd rather Dempsey go before Oba.


    Valdez said over the weekend that he's not looking to leave and love Seattle...........and Oba is just a loan if he goes somewhere.

    No way we're letting Oba go anywhere unless Morris agrees to play for us. Even then probably not.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12324
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:52 am

Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:28 am

Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:07 am

Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:35 am
  • Great signing if he picks the US. I honestly wouldn't be fussed about moving on from Dempsey and using his salary to strengthen central midfield and defense, especially if Oba and Valdez are here. If Morris development continues hopefully we get 2/3 years out of him.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1088
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:29 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Great signing if he picks the US. I honestly wouldn't be fussed about moving on from Dempsey and using his salary to strengthen central midfield and defense, especially if Oba and Valdez are here. If Morris development continues hopefully we get 2/3 years out of him.


    Why move on from Dempsey if you can afford to fit Morris under our current cap.

    If he does sign it'll be interesting to see what kind of contract he gets. Good news is he's homegrown, so his salary hit won't be as big.

    But yeah, it'd be amazing to have Morris and Oba up top so we can drop back Clint to midfield, or some variation of that to use all three of them.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12324
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:45 am
  • Is there any joy at all in watching Dempsey play any more?

    And playing Oba and Morris up top in a 442 seems a waste of both talents... unless you play an attacking mid right underneath them.

    4-3-1-2....

    If they do set up in a 442 and its a flat midfield with Dempsey out wide then they might as well swap their kits out with Umbro and head back to 1980.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12463
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:27 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Is there any joy at all in watching Dempsey play any more?

    And playing Oba and Morris up top in a 442 seems a waste of both talents... unless you play an attacking mid right underneath them.

    4-3-1-2....

    If they do set up in a 442 and its a flat midfield with Dempsey out wide then they might as well swap their kits out with Umbro and head back to 1980.


    Why don't you like Demspey at the attacking mid spot? He's fantastic at creating, holding the ball and distributing.......and he's got one of the best quick shots in the league. Seems perfect for that underneath mid spot.

    Nothing frustrated me more last year than seeing Clint and Oba up top constantly having to drop back 30-40 yards just to get a touch on the ball because our terrible midfield was getting destroyed in the middle third.

    With the speed of Morris and Oba we need someone underneath to distribute. IMO Dempsey is perfect.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12324
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:45 am
  • I said he's terrible as a wide player. If you're going to keep Dempsey he should be in the attacking spot... but that's it. Even then, I'd say "fantastic" is an enormous reach. He can be creative, at times, when the holding mids win the ball for him and he's free to connect with his striker.

    He would be perfect as a CAM underneath two mobile strikers in 2012. However, in 2016, he is far too slow, in my opinion, to continue to be relied upon as a CAM in the MLS. He did decent last year when Oba played as a target and he could sit under him, let the pressure be absorbed up top, get the drop down passes and run or pass off. When you look at some of the better CAMs in the MLS now, and their skillsets, Dempsey is nowhere near them, not even a top 8-10 player in that position any longer, and getting older everyday.

    Maybe the MLS won't demand much from him and he can still be effective. If I'm a Sounders fan though that entire central midfield needs to be reshaped with younger, more athletic and quicker players
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12463
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:35 pm

Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:26 pm
  • Dempsey has flair and often times that's misrepresented as creativity. I don't know where he fits on this team right now, he'd be best playing behind Oba, yet I believe the team would be better with Oba up top with Valdez playing off him in a hold up role.

    I'm intrigued to see where the Sounders go from here. Landing Morris adds a dimension the Sounders desperately needed, but it also raises a lot of questions. Whose going to be our CM? are they sticking with Ozzie? can Friberg be a consistent starter? are we bringing anyone else in? That's IMO the biggest question going into training. Jordan Morris was a huge win no doubt, but he's joining a team that wasn't exactly lacking in the attacking department and I certainly hope Garth can make one or two moves to solidify the middle of the park or we might be in for a long season.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1294
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:05 am
  • knownone wrote:Dempsey has flair and often times that's misrepresented as creativity. I don't know where he fits on this team right now, he'd be best playing behind Oba, yet I believe the team would be better with Oba up top with Valdez playing off him in a hold up role.

    I'm intrigued to see where the Sounders go from here. Landing Morris adds a dimension the Sounders desperately needed, but it also raises a lot of questions. Whose going to be our CM? are they sticking with Ozzie? can Friberg be a consistent starter? are we bringing anyone else in? That's IMO the biggest question going into training. Jordan Morris was a huge win no doubt, but he's joining a team that wasn't exactly lacking in the attacking department and I certainly hope Garth can make one or two moves to solidify the middle of the park or we might be in for a long season.


    They just signed Farfan, who, despite only starting 17 games last year apparently solidified the midfield (according to the article). And, Smurf mentions movement into a 4-4-2... So Oba is not alone up top and not playing with a drop down CAM.

    And of course that just opens up a lot more questions about the actual midfield formation (flat 4, flat 3 with CAM behind two strikers, diamond 4)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12463
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:21 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I said he's terrible as a wide player. If you're going to keep Dempsey he should be in the attacking spot... but that's it. Even then, I'd say "fantastic" is an enormous reach. He can be creative, at times, when the holding mids win the ball for him and he's free to connect with his striker.

    He would be perfect as a CAM underneath two mobile strikers in 2012. However, in 2016, he is far too slow, in my opinion, to continue to be relied upon as a CAM in the MLS. He did decent last year when Oba played as a target and he could sit under him, let the pressure be absorbed up top, get the drop down passes and run or pass off. When you look at some of the better CAMs in the MLS now, and their skillsets, Dempsey is nowhere near them, not even a top 8-10 player in that position any longer, and getting older everyday.

    Maybe the MLS won't demand much from him and he can still be effective. If I'm a Sounders fan though that entire central midfield needs to be reshaped with younger, more athletic and quicker players


    My point is adding Morris WOULD make Dempsey a more effective attacking CM.

    Two fast forwards like Morris and Oba would open up all kinds of space, instead of just relying on Oba running his ass off trying to stretch the pitch. Defenses couldn't just box Oba in because they know we have no width or quality CM that can distribute (which has been the case for far too long).
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12324
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Next


It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:57 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests