Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

SeatownJay

Reaction score
MLS announced the home openers of every team today. Seattle will begin the season at home against Sporting KC on March 6. The game will be nationally televised on FS1.

Smurf

Reaction score
Leo Gonzalez had departed the club back to Costa Rica (same club he left to come here).

Andy Rose has departed for Coventry City on a free transfer. The contract is for 18 months.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
None of those losses bother me, Gonzalez was good when healthy but was injury prone and getting old. We can do better than Rose in midfield.

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":e7pk9m93 said:
None of those losses bother me, Gonzalez was good when healthy but was injury prone and getting old. We can do better than Rose in midfield.

On this note, It is rumored that Sounders are eyeing a move to a 3 man midfield in some form of 433. With players like Friberg, Ivanschitz, Roldan and Alonso (for now) I like the idea.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I hear the timbers are starting the season with a rematch against Columbus. Kind of a bumber, I was hoping the sounders could experience the unveiling of a championship banner or something.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3ol46wty said:
I hear the timbers are starting the season with a rematch against Columbus. Kind of a bumber, I was hoping the sounders could experience the unveiling of a championship banner or something.

You are the timber fan that people despise. Just ramble on without having the slightest clue about what you are saying.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2dvgy5eu said:
JSeahawks":2dvgy5eu said:

You are the timber fan that people despise. Just ramble on without having the slightest clue about what you are saying.

:lol: thank you sir, mission accomplished. ill leave your thread now, just had to get one shot in.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3qroxqqe said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3qroxqqe said:
JSeahawks":3qroxqqe said:

:lol: thank you sir, mission accomplished. ill leave your thread now, just had to get one shot in.

See ya livinginhawktown.

knownone

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3dmcxaij said:
Morris is turning pro, but it looks like he's not excited about joining the Sounders right now. He's training in Germany.

Maybe that's good for him, but I'd like to see him at least spend one season in Seattle getting his feet wet before going to Europe.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/01 ... der-bremen
I don't believe Morris training in Germany means anything. The Sounders don't start training until February, and a guy training in Europe before signing isn't that uncommon, Ozzie did it the year he became a DP. Until he signs consider the Sounders a strong contender for his services.

**Mod not knowing how to use mod tools**

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":12lyk9z3 said:
Sgt. Largent":12lyk9z3 said:
Morris is turning pro, but it looks like he's not excited about joining the Sounders right now. He's training in Germany.

Maybe that's good for him, but I'd like to see him at least spend one season in Seattle getting his feet wet before going to Europe.

I don't believe Morris training in Germany means anything. The Sounders don't start training until February, and a guy training in Europe before signing isn't that uncommon, Ozzie did it the year he became a DP. Until he signs consider the Sounders a strong contender for his services.

Exactly...there is not a ton going on in the MLS right now, so if you want to get/stay fit you need to find the leagues that are up and running.

Germany just had their holiday break, so he may have been invited to work light with a squad for a few weeks. with games ramping up again he may be back in the states.

idk, it sure seems like training in Germany this week over just waiting a couple weeks to train with the Sounders at the start of their camp tells me Morris is eyeing Europe over MLS.

knownone

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lso7jhi said:
knownone":2lso7jhi said:
Sgt. Largent":2lso7jhi said:

Exactly...there is not a ton going on in the MLS right now, so if you want to get/stay fit you need to find the leagues that are up and running.

Germany just had their holiday break, so he may have been invited to work light with a squad for a few weeks. with games ramping up again he may be back in the states.

idk, it sure seems like training in Germany this week over just waiting a couple weeks to train with the Sounders at the start of their camp tells me Morris is eyeing Europe over MLS.
I don't know whose editing my messages, but I didn't say that last bit after my first paragraph.

I don't see that at all. Going on trial with Werder Bremen gives Jordan a fairly accurate barometer of where he stands in the professional game. Let's face it Jordan is a pretty big deal here in the USA, but in Germany there are hundreds of other kids just as promising, who've actually spent time in a professional academy and professional systems. I don't believe Jordan is ready to be a regular in the Bundesliga and I believe his trial will prove that to him.

That's why I think Seattle has the best chance, Seattle offers him the chance to get acclimated to professional football in a positive no pressure environment and in one or two years he can move on to Europe, or he can take a career risk now and go battle his ways onto a European roster.

hillbillyhawk12

Reaction score
knownone":3akr2228 said:
Sgt. Largent":3akr2228 said:
knownone":3akr2228 said:
Sgt. Largent":3akr2228 said:

I don't know whose editing my messages, but I didn't say that last bit after my first paragraph.

I don't see that at all. Going on trial with Werder Bremen gives Jordan a fairly accurate barometer of where he stands in the professional game. Let's face it Jordan is a pretty big deal here in the USA, but in Germany there are hundreds of other kids just as promising, who've actually spent time in a professional academy and professional systems. I don't believe Jordan is ready to be a regular in the Bundesliga and I believe his trial will prove that to him.

That's why I think Seattle has the best chance, Seattle offers him the chance to get acclimated to professional football in a positive no pressure environment and in one or two years he can move on to Europe, or he can take a career risk now and go battle his ways onto a European roster.

This would definitely be the safest step he could take and the route I hope he chooses. Regardless, it is going to be fun to keep an eye on him and see how he develops. I just pray its with Seattle :mrgreen:

Off topic: How long have you guys been Sounders fans or soccer fans in general? I'm going on two years for both! I live in Kentucky and growing up here the only sports we are really exposed to is basketball and American football, and everything else is generally disregarded. Soccer seems to be picking up major steam here, though. The FIFA games changed everything for me and lead me to fall in love with the sport and Sounders.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":ysz0ji6p said:
Sgt. Largent":ysz0ji6p said:

**Mod not knowing how to use mod tools**

I said it...

I will say this... the MLS is not a feeder/developmental league, and this is something young players realize. Players are not "developed" in the MLS. Most talented players are thrown right into the first team and asked to make an impact in a competitive league, for all intents and purposes, that is still creating itself, its image and its style of play. It's not a league to build yourself in.

the safer play really would be a European club, sitting on the bench for a Mid-tier team in one of the 4 major leagues, training at a high level, getting cup competitions, reserve league matches and the random league game. The MLS will not provide that kind of nurturing for Jordan. He will be asked by the Sounders to play alot, and score goals.

Not saying one is better than the other. Depends on the player.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ksyvg8y said:
I will say this... the MLS is not a feeder/developmental league, and this is something young players realize. Players are not "developed" in the MLS. Most talented players are thrown right into the first team and asked to make an impact in a competitive league, for all intents and purposes, that is still creating itself, its image and its style of play. It's not a league to build yourself in.

the safer play really would be a European club, sitting on the bench for a Mid-tier team in one of the 4 major leagues, training at a high level, getting cup competitions, reserve league matches and the random league game. The MLS will not provide that kind of nurturing for Jordan. He will be asked by the Sounders to play alot, and score goals.

You're exactly right, but IMO Morris is the one college player........maybe ever that's talented enough both physically and mentally to not need the MLS to be the kind of developmental league you're talking about.

IMO starting and playing full 90's for the Sounders > playing very limited for a lower level Euro league (or 2nd division Euro club).

1-2 years max though. If Morris is as talented as we think he is, hanging around in the MLS for more than a year or two would not be beneficial. But one or two years? I don't think that'd be a bad thing.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3afj4jzz said:
Uncle Si":3afj4jzz said:

You're exactly right, but IMO Morris is the one college player........maybe ever that's talented enough both physically and mentally to not need the MLS to be the kind of developmental league you're talking about.

IMO starting and playing full 90's for the Sounders > playing very limited for a lower level Euro league (or 2nd division Euro club).

1-2 years max though. If Morris is as talented as we think he is, hanging around in the MLS for more than a year or two would not be beneficial. But one or two years? I don't think that'd be a bad thing.

Steve Zakuani?

anyways.. I'm not suggesting talents like Jordan Morris play overseas at a low level. He's got enough talent to secure a spot on a very good team in one of the top 4 leagues. Bremen may not be it, but imagine if he landed a spot on Shalke? Valencia? Stoke or Everton?

In terms of development, the MLS is not the place for that. Players are vetted immediately into a frenetic, physical style of play in which tactical and technical play is somewhat limited, and that does not help young players grow.. they learn to adapt to that style. It is very difficult to find players who have left MLS to Europe and found much success. I think there is a reason for that.

But again, that's up to what Jordan wants. Given how long he has taken in this decision I'm fairly certain he is exercising all of the options.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ruh7wkh said:
Steve Zakuani?

anyways.. I'm not suggesting talents like Jordan Morris play overseas at a low level. He's got enough talent to secure a spot on a very good team in one of the top 4 leagues. Bremen may not be it, but imagine if he landed a spot on Shalke? Valencia? Stoke or Everton?

In terms of development, the MLS is not the place for that. Players are vetted immediately into a frenetic, physical style of play in which tactical and technical play is somewhat limited, and that does not help young players grow.. they learn to adapt to that style. It is very difficult to find players who have left MLS to Europe and found much success. I think there is a reason for that.

But again, that's up to what Jordan wants. Given how long he has taken in this decision I'm fairly certain he is exercising all of the options.

Zak?

Dude got his leg broke in exactly the MLS you've described above. If anything, he SHOULD have gone to Europe instead of being baptized into the physical MLS.

I'm selfish, I'd love to see Morris in a Sounders kit. But I won't begrudge him if he stays overseas. Kid's a phenomenal talent, maybe the best ever coming out of college.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1q3ekpfp said:
Uncle Si":1q3ekpfp said:
Steve Zakuani?

Zak?

Dude got his leg broke in exactly the MLS you've described above. If anything, he SHOULD have gone to Europe instead of being baptized into the physical MLS.

I'm selfish, I'd love to see Morris in a Sounders kit. But I won't begrudge him if he stays overseas. Kid's a phenomenal talent, maybe the best ever coming out of college.

That was my point. I would say Zak was as ready if not more to play in the MLS straight out of college as Jordan Morris