Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread
Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:53 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    TorontoHawk wrote:
    TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Awesome Twitter video of players celebrating..........so happy for these guys.

https://twitter.com/SoundersFC/status/8 ... 7282679808

That made my pants tight.

Well I hope they enjoyed it as TFC will shut them down.

Ahhh snap, let the trash talking begin!

What a great match last night, one of the best I've ever seen in any league. Even though I think Toronto is a better matchup for the Sounders, I was obviously rooting for Montreal so the finals could be here.

Let's hope Bradley and Altidore do what they do for the USMNT as of late, nothing.

They still have Gio. I think he'll be more of a problem for the Sounders than Bradley or Jozy would. Sounders defense needs to play its best game. They are very shaky at best. Considering TFC can score, if it gets into a scoring battle...the Sounders are at a huge disadvantage. I don't think the Sounders can match score for score with TFC.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:00 pm
  • Might have to walk over to the stadium and catch the finals. Forecast is a little sketchy right now. Been super warm here the last few days and no where near a typical winter in YYZ.

PM me if any .Net'ers are passionate enough to come out. I will be around.
    YYZHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:03 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    They still have Gio. I think he'll be more of a problem for the Sounders than Bradley or Jozy would. Sounders defense needs to play its best game. They are very shaky at best. Considering TFC can score, if it gets into a scoring battle...the Sounders are at a huge disadvantage. I don't think the Sounders can match score for score with TFC.

For sure, still formidable obviously.

But IMO Montreal has a lot of young fast/quick dynamic players that give the Sounders problems, especially late in games. Toronto is skilled, but more of a direct style with Bradley in the midfield.

What was the injury status of Gio?
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:38 pm
  • judging by how despite the ankle he was pretty mobile after the win, i suspect he should be fine. that is what the media is reporting at least....
    YYZHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:38 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:

For sure, still formidable obviously.

But IMO Montreal has a lot of young fast/quick dynamic players that give the Sounders problems, especially late in games. Toronto is skilled, but more of a direct style with Bradley in the midfield.

What was the injury status of Gio?

Sounds like he'll be ready to play according to this report - http://www.espnfc.com/toronto-fc/story/3009222/toronto-fc-expects-sebastian-giovinco-and-jozy-altidore-both-fit-for-mls-cup
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:01 am
  • Let's get a little pre-game chatter going on. Sounders fans... game is 3 days away.

How do you all see this playing out? That's a strong and dynamic Toronto side.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:27 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Let's get a little pre-game chatter going on. Sounders fans... game is 3 days away.

I think it's going to play out like most of the Sounder's matches down the stretch..........with us losing the possession battle looking a little disjointed for the first 20-30 minutes.

Then as Lodeiro, Ozzie, Morris and Roldan start to wear out the Toronto mids and defenders we'll start to impose our will and the chances will come.

So as long as we can keep a clean sheet and not let Altidore and Gio get good looks at the goal, then this is a match we can and should win 2-0, or 2-1.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:49 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Let's get a little pre-game chatter going on. Sounders fans... game is 3 days away.

I think it's going to play out like most of the Sounder's matches down the stretch..........with us losing the possession battle looking a little disjointed for the first 20-30 minutes.

Then as Lodeiro, Ozzie, Morris and Roldan start to wear out the Toronto mids and defenders we'll start to impose our will and the chances will come.

So as long as we can keep a clean sheet and not let Altidore and Gio get good looks at the goal, then this is a match we can and should win 2-0, or 2-1.

You're that confident the Sounders midfield 3 is better than Toronto's diamond 4? Will be a tall order for Lodeiro to find space, as it was against Colorado while trying to recover and ensure there's not easy distribution to the league's two best scoring forward pair.

I love the diamond mid against a 2-1 mid triangle if the 4 can possess. I don't know enough about Toronto to know if they do a good job of that. Could be the midfield 3 chasing and needing help from the wingers.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:28 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Let's get a little pre-game chatter going on. Sounders fans... game is 3 days away.

You're that confident the Sounders midfield 3 is better than Toronto's diamond 4? Will be a tall order for Lodeiro to find space, as it was against Colorado while trying to recover and ensure there's not easy distribution to the league's two best scoring forward pair.

I love the diamond mid against a 2-1 mid triangle if the 4 can possess. I don't know enough about Toronto to know if they do a good job of that. Could be the midfield 3 chasing and needing help from the wingers.

I don't claim to be a TFC expert, but from what I saw out of their mids in the playoffs is the same thing I saw out of Bradley in our last two USMNT matches, an aging midfield that slows down as the match goes on......and Cheyrou and Johnson are even older than Bradley, and were gassed by the end of that Montreal series.

It's what Lodeiro has done to every opposing midfield since he got here, wear them the hell out. I've yet to see anyone mark him for even a half, let alone an entire 90. So I expect him to do to Bradley and Co. as he did to Beckerman, Jones and Cronin.

My only concern is both Ozzie and Morris took a big knock the last match with Colorado, so hopefully the two weeks off has given them enough time to heal. If not, could spell trouble.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:46 pm
  • http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/06/se ... cup-vs-tfc

Great troll job here and the writer of it continues to troll people who comment on it on Twitter. Apparently we dont stand a chance and are lucky to be there in the first place.

Apparently all they have to do is stop lodeiro and our centre halfs are going to be mismatched against altidore and Giovinco.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:57 pm
  • The Toronto Sun is garbage and I live in Toranah.

It's catering to the alt right sports fan.

Frankly, the weather is horrible for soccer but looks like it's pretty dodgy in Seattle.
    YYZHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:59 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/06/seattle-flying-under-the-radar-ahead-of-mls-cup-vs-tfc

Great troll job here and the writer of it continues to troll people who comment on it on Twitter. Apparently we dont stand a chance and are lucky to be there in the first place.

Apparently all they have to do is stop lodeiro and our centre halfs are going to be mismatched against altidore and Giovinco.

I'm not reading the article but I thought Colorado did a very good job of doing just that in the 2nd leg. They pressed Seattle, limited their possession to lower in zones and kept Lodeiro pretty much quiet. Unfortunately, they could not do anything with the ball when they got it and shot themselves in the foot with a bad release pass that led to the Morris goal.

I'd think Toronto's goal scorers are better, so they might have more joy with the same tactic.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:30 am
  • Teams have been trying to slow down Lodeiro since he got here, with little success..........like I said above their marking mids can hang with him for 30-40 minutes tops, then they fall off because of his superior workrate and tenacity.

Good luck trying to mark this for a full 90

Another side effect of building your match plan around making sure Lodeiro is marked at all times is it disrupts your own tactics, which we saw in the Dallas series. Totally got their usually efficient offense way out of rhythm.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:46 am
  • Colorado did it just fine in the 2nd leg, Sgt.

They had the ball high up the field for the majority of the match. They did not have the goal scoring acumen to make the pressure count.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:06 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Colorado did it just fine in the 2nd leg, Sgt.

They had the ball high up the field for the majority of the match. They did not have the goal scoring acumen to make the pressure count.

Colorado had the #1 defense in the league, so not exactly a good comparison.

Yes Toronto has the #1 offense in MLS, but their defense is middle of the pack, so I don't expect them to be as successful with that gameplan, as Montreal showed scoring 5 goals in the semis.........unless like I said earlier, Ozzie and Morris are gimpy.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:23 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Colorado did it just fine in the 2nd leg, Sgt.

Colorado had the #1 defense in the league, so not exactly a good comparison.

Yes Toronto has the #1 offense in MLS, but their defense is middle of the pack, so I don't expect them to be as successful with that gameplan, as Montreal showed scoring 5 goals in the semis.........unless like I said earlier, Ozzie and Morris are gimpy.

It's not a good comparison? This is about game planning. You can't compare the thought processes of Colorado in setting up for Seattle in the 2nd leg vs. Toronto setting up for Montreal. Completely different scenarios, tactics and philosophies.

First leg Colorado let him roam free and it cost them. 2nd leg they made an effort to stop him and did. Being good at it does not make it a poor comparison if Toronto wants to emulate that.

If Toronto wants to copy that game plan and can do something with the ball when they get it then it will put Seattle in a difficult place. Will they be as effective as Colorado in defending? Probably not. Will they be more effective with the ball? Certainly so.

I would not be too keen on relying on a team to "wear down" in the midfield after 60 minutes as the means to winning. Especially one with that much scoring on its roster.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:30 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    First leg Colorado let him roam free and it cost them. 2nd leg they made an effort to stop him and did. Being good at it does not make it a poor comparison if Toronto wants to emulate that.

It cost them in the 2nd match too, they lost 1-0.............as I hope this match will go.

You're trying to tell me TFC can easily copy Colorado's tactic of slowing down Lodeiro, and I'm saying it's not that easy for a club that doesn't have the defensive mids and backline as good as Colorado's.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:43 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

It cost them in the 2nd match too, they lost 1-0.............as I hope this match will go.

You're trying to tell me TFC can easily copy Colorado's tactic of slowing down Lodeiro, and I'm saying it's not that easy for a club that doesn't have the defensive mids and backline as good as Colorado's.

I never said easy. I said if they choose to they will more than likely make more of their chances even if they are not as effective. Thought it was clear in that post? "If Toronto wants to copy that game plan and can do something with the ball when they get it then it will put Seattle in a difficult place. Will they be as effective as Colorado in defending? Probably not. Will they be more effective with the ball? Certainly so."

And it did not cost them 1-0. They ran a high press, limited service to their opponents top player. What cost them was that they didn't capitalize on their possession (and then passed the ball to a forward from their own defensive 3rd).

They key in my opinion may not be Lodeiro but Morris. If access to and from Lodeiro is limited it will fall on Morris' shoulders (and Valdez) to find alternative release channels.

Also not suggesting this is what Toronto will do. Just an option posed by that article.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:18 pm
  • I'm going with 2-1.

Thinking a Lodeiro free kick against the run of play and a Valdez header.

The defense has been playing really well lately and I think this continues next match.

*knocks on wood*
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:42 pm
  • i was at a lunch today and was trying to lean on some people for some free tickets...

then i forgot i might not even be able to go...woops.

not to mention, sitting by the lake in minus 5 (degrees c... ;-) 0 ) is going be chilly. the wind and cold is not good and the temporary bleachers on the north side are hollow really so that is not going to be much an impediment to the wind.

i don't know how weather will impact either team.

i predict either a high scoring or close game... :sarcasm_on:

at least the snow is for Sunday and Monday.
    YYZHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:58 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote: and a Valdez header.

That'd be amazing for Valdez.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:24 pm
  • Not the news we were hoping for on Alonso.

Injured Sounders Osvaldo Alonso and Brad Evans “will both be involved in the game," per Schmetzer. To what extent? "I can’t tell you that.”
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:52 am
  • Not sure if this was posted yet but FOX will broadcast the game nationally tonight at 8 EST. For those in the Toronto area that's WUTV out of Buffalo via OTA.
    Palmegranite
    NET Rookie

Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:22 pm
  • Sounders will probably roll out in a similar 4231 they have been using.

Valdez
    Nico, Friberg, Morris
    Ozzie, Roldan
    Jones, Marshall, Torres, Mears
    Frei

Nico and friberg will roam on interchange. Morris will push high in the attack. We will play out of the back with Jones and Mears and build from the outside in. The cutting balls of Lodeiro, Roldan and Friberg will put pressure on Toronto's defense.

Toronto, btw, has played a 352 down the stretch and the past several games. They are vulnerable, especially to speed.

One of Toronto's strong points is on set pieces, but I think we counter well with Marshall, Torres and Valdez. Weak link on our side is probably Mears/Jones. They can't lose their mark.

I think our defense will be pretty solid. Torres and Marshall are about as perfect a CB pairing to have against Altidore, and while I think Giovinco is a tremendous player, I think Ozzie and Roldan can lend enough support to keep his influence to a low level.

On the offensive side of play, our most important player is probably Nelson Valdez. He has to be able to hold the ball and build the attack. We'll be dumping a lot of balls up to him in hopes he can hold it long enough to spring Nico or Jordy.

Jordy, Nico and Joevin are probably the most dangerous players for us going forward against the 352. Jordy can pull a CB wide, and hopefully open the space for Nico. Joevin overlapping will release some pressure on Friberg and Nico.

Its a game of space, and I think the Sounders 4231 matches up well against the 352, assuming we can hold Giovinco in check.

It's a massive game, and its going to come down to who manages the space best.

Its gonna be a good game. Tactically very interesting game.

3-2 Sounders win in Extra Time.

Nico Lodeiro, Jordan Morris, and Herc Gomez are your goal scorers.
    Giovinco and Bradley for TFC.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:29 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Not the news we were hoping for on Alonso.

Injured Sounders Osvaldo Alonso and Brad Evans “will both be involved in the game," per Schmetzer. To what extent? "I can’t tell you that.”

Alonso will start. Evans off the bench later. Probably first on, likely for Friberg.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:39 pm
  • Good luck Sounders!!!! Bring home the Championship!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:02 pm
  • What a game!
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:04 pm
  • Champs!!!!
    dumbrabbit
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:05 pm
  • Stefan Frei was amazing tonight, he's the MVP.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:06 pm
  • Seahaaaawks wrote:What a game!

Congrats to the Seattle Sounders and the very loyal fanbase!!!! :2thumbs:
    Pretty damn cool!

2016 MLS Champs!!!! WTG! :irishdrinkers:

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:08 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Stefan Frei was amazing tonight, he's the MVP.

Yep, Outstanding performance!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:13 pm
  • Toronto throwing crap at players as usual...what classy fans they have up there.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:15 pm
  • YESSSSSSSS
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:20 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:Toronto throwing crap at players as usual...what classy fans they have up there.

Yeah, what was that all about???? Is that par for the course for them??

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:21 pm
  • YeeHah!!!!
    :2thumbs:
    The Spirit within me salutes the Spirit in you
    Go Hawks!
    Bill Assumpcao
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:24 pm
  • Congrats, Sounders!
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:53 pm
  • Toronto had their chance to score, but Sherman just denies them with that amazing tip... whoops, wrong football.
    pre·vent de·fense
    n. Football
    A defensive formation in which a team prevents their defense from stopping the other team's offense.
    hannibalking
    NET Rookie

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:58 pm
  • So buzzing. Torres was a rock, what a player. Freis save as well. Holy sh*t.

We bunkered down and kept altidore and giovinco relatively quiet. From last for champions, what a turn around.

Next year we may have dempsey back as well or 2 new dps if they downgrade valdez and clint retires. Thats exciting as hell.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:20 pm
  • Frei was the best player on the pitch with Torres a close second. Amazing second half of the season. Congrats Sounders!
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:12 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    253hawk wrote:Toronto throwing crap at players as usual...what classy fans they have up there.

Yeah, what was that all about???? Is that par for the course for them??

Seems to be. If it weren't for cell phones, they'd probably have taken the batteries out of their cameras to throw as well. I can understand a few isolated incidents, but it was going on all game and got really bad towards the end.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:08 pm
  • To be petty, I'm really glad the Sounders won because Blue Jays fans tend to flood the Mariners home games when their team comes to town and be pretty obnoxious, so I'm glad Toronto folk won't be able to gloat about their soccer team winning the MLS Cup over us.
    pre·vent de·fense
    n. Football
    A defensive formation in which a team prevents their defense from stopping the other team's offense.
    hannibalking
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:21 am
  • Zach Scott posing with the trophy.

Spounge84
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:28 am
  • Creepy, but funny!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:11 am
  • I remember how annoyed I was when Seattle moved on from Gspurning and brought in the injury-prone enigma that was Stefan Frei. Stefan is the only goalkeeper I've ever seen run 20 yards from goal to make an uncontested clearance and somehow clear it directly to an unmarked CM who casually lobbed a 50-yard shot into the wide open net previously vacated by Frei. I remember looking at my girlfriend and saying "this is the guy?"...

Well, it turns out he was the guy, now he's MLS Cup MVP, and the save he made against Altidore is symbolic of what he meant to the Sounders, not only in this game but the season as a whole. Think of all the points Frei saved for Seattle just to have a shot at the improbable chance of making the playoffs. This wasn't just one play, this was a body of work, the save was routine, and now the rest of the world had the opportunity to see what we've seen all season.

Stefan Frei is the best player on the best team in MLS.

Joevin Jones sealed the game for me, he completely telegraphed that penalty and it was COLD BLOODED.
    Evans, Ivanschitz, and Lodeiro's penalties were class.
    Torres... dude faked out the (admittedly terrible) fox broadcast crew - Nuff said.

Enjoy it guys!
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:49 am
  • Spounge84 wrote:Zach Scott posing with the trophy.

That's not the MLS Cup. That is the Western Conference Championship Cup.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:53 am
  • Dont mean to piss on the parade but sounds like some players will be getting exit interviews today due to the expansion draft. I figure Fernandez, Gomez may be some.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:07 pm
  • I don't follow the Sounders at all, but was able to tune in for the end of the game. Congrats to the Sounders!
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:47 pm
  • First soccer match I've ever spent more than 5 minutes on.

I admit, it wasn't easy for me as an American Football fan. I don't understand what's going on.

About the only thing I figured out, is that Seattle has a pretty good goalkeeper. ;)
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:16 pm
  • As someone who doesn't watch a lot of soccer, how do you feel about the championship being determined by a shootout? Doesn't seem like the best team should be crowned by a shootout.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:07 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:As someone who doesn't watch a lot of soccer, how do you feel about the championship being determined by a shootout? Doesn't seem like the best team should be crowned by a shootout.

Completely fine with it. Lost finals by PK's. Won them by PK's.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information