Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Husky Basketball

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Husky Basketball
Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:22 am
  • There are 19 hockey threads and 2 JV basketball threads in this forum and no threads dedicated to the most fun season of local, non-JV college basketball this area has had in a long time. It is time for the Dawgs to have their own thread.

Tough loss to USC today. Just couldn't come close to getting any consistent stops. I'm done with this switching every screen BS too. Not wanting to take the time to teach how to play proper screen defense is not an excuse for allowing teams to get their big men on our undersized guards anytime they feel like it. There are 6 ways to defend a ball-screen, and switching every single one is not the answer. I have literally never in my life seen any other team try to do this, primarily because it is completely idiotic. USC's average-at-best big man scored layups at will against us all day long, and if you watch the highlights, you won't see any of our bigs in any of the videos. Andrew Andrews and David Crisp spent all day in the paint defending bigs while our bigs tried to keep up with their quick guards on the perimeter. Then, if they happen to miss their easy shot, they still have a bunch of bigs rebounding under the basket against our guards. It's time to spend some practices on learning how to play pick and roll defense. Okay, rant over.

Still am having more fun watching this team than I have in years. I wasn't a Dejonte Murray fan for the first handful of weeks of the season, but geez that kid is something else. He's going to be a NBA All-Star.

Best part of the whole thing....Rainier Beach, Rainier Beach, Timberline, Eastside Catholic, Hazen.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Re: Husky Basketball
Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:44 am
  • viewtopic.php?f=5&t=109935

^^^ I've been using this as my Husky thread, but lets move it here. Much more straight forward title.

Anyways, the team is awesome. So much fun to watch. Fifth youngest team in the nation and we are shocking the world (well maybe just the country). Picked to finish between 10th and 12th in almost every pre-season media poll.....Only 2 returning players from last year..... And we are tied for second in a pretty good Pac12 conference. It's a pretty amazing story, it's too bad the husky hoops team gets overlooked by not only the national media, but I feel like they get overlooked locally too. Zona comes here on Saturday, Hec-Ed should be rocking. A win against Arizona should get us some attention.

The best thing is, like the Seahawks from 3 years ago, we are just at the beginning of a great journey. Most of these freshman are here to stay. And while losing Andrews next year will hurt, we will be even better with Top 10 recruit Fultz, and a couple big men coming in (freshman from New Zealand and an Auburn transfer).

For those of you who need to get even more excited, look who is projected to go #8 and #9 next year...
    http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:11 am
  • Ive heard this other places, that UW is shocking people. They aren't, UW had the talent coming in everyone knew that. What's shocking is a bad coach was able to get them to play together. If UW had a good coach, with this class, UW would have been picked 4-5 in the preseason.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:17 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:Ive heard this other places, that UW is shocking people. They aren't, UW had the talent coming in everyone knew that. What's shocking is a bad coach was able to get them to play together. If UW had a good coach, with this class, UW would have been picked 4-5 in the preseason.

That's a ridiculous statement. No team would have been ranked that high with only 2 returning players from last year (only 1 that contributes, Andrew Andrews). The recruiting class was very good, but it wasn't even second best in the Pac12. Both Cal and Zona had better recruiting classes (according to Scout). No way were we going to be ranked ahead of Cal, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, and UCLA. And that's not even mentioning other quality teams like Oregon St and Colorado who many were very high on coming into the season.

Unless you are Kentucky, you aren't going to get a ton of respect when your entire team is freshman except for 2 players. Perhaps with a better coach they would have been picked 8th or 9th rather than 11th or 12th. But you're crazy if you actually think this team had a chance to be ranked #4 or #5 with a better coach.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:42 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:Ive heard this other places, that UW is shocking people. They aren't, UW had the talent coming in everyone knew that. What's shocking is a bad coach was able to get them to play together. If UW had a good coach, with this class, UW would have been picked 4-5 in the preseason.

That's a ridiculous statement. No team would have been ranked that high with only 2 returning players from last year (only 1 that contributes, Andrew Andrews). The recruiting class was very good, but it wasn't even second best in the Pac12. Both Cal and Zona had better recruiting classes (according to Scout). No way were we going to be ranked ahead of Cal, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, and UCLA. And that's not even mentioning other quality teams like Oregon St and Colorado who many were very high on coming into the season.

Unless you are Kentucky, you aren't going to get a ton of respect when your entire team is freshman except for 2 players. Perhaps with a better coach they would have been picked 8th or 9th rather than 11th or 12th. But you're crazy if you actually think this team had a chance to be ranked #4 or #5 with a better coach.

I do agree that Lorenzo leaves some to be desired in terms of X's and 0's. However, he recruited the heck out of Seattle. If you look at the twitter feeds of his ex and current players, it really is a family thing. You get the sense that even those living overseas are still close to this program. I believe it is that closeness that brings recruiting classes like this and the next few together. Would a different coach have convinced Chriss to come here and Murray to stay? I dunno. That said, Romar has had his most success with hungry, athletic style teams. If he can get this team to play defense, which is usually the one thing he can do, they're going to be in the top portion of the conference for a while.

The fun part to watch is when we take our undisciplined pace and play against the more deliberate teams like Arizona, Oregon and Gonzaga. Those teams try to execute us to death, and we try to get them out of their game. Fascinating stuff. We can look really silly at times in those battles, but we can also really expose a team that might lack a little athleticism in others.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:25 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:Ive heard this other places, that UW is shocking people. They aren't, UW had the talent coming in everyone knew that. What's shocking is a bad coach was able to get them to play together. If UW had a good coach, with this class, UW would have been picked 4-5 in the preseason.

I do agree that Lorenzo leaves some to be desired in terms of X's and 0's. However, he recruited the heck out of Seattle. If you look at the twitter feeds of his ex and current players, it really is a family thing. You get the sense that even those living overseas are still close to this program. I believe it is that closeness that brings recruiting classes like this and the next few together. Would a different coach have convinced Chriss to come here and Murray to stay? I dunno. That said, Romar has had his most success with hungry, athletic style teams. If he can get this team to play defense, which is usually the one thing he can do, they're going to be in the top portion of the conference for a while.

The fun part to watch is when we take our undisciplined pace and play against the more deliberate teams like Arizona, Oregon and Gonzaga. Those teams try to execute us to death, and we try to get them out of their game. Fascinating stuff. We can look really silly at times in those battles, but we can also really expose a team that might lack a little athleticism in others.

Romar is one of the better recruiters, but in my opinion a below average in-game coach. His strenghts are recruiting and player development. Just look at all the Huskies who are having success in the NBA, and a lot of those guys weren't 4 or 5 star recruits coming out of HS (Isaiah Thomas, Nate Robinson, etc.).

Romar is the only reason why we are getting Fultz to come across the country to play with us. Fultz could play for any team, very rarely do you ever see a 5-star east-coast kid come out West.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:36 am
  • Big overtime win against ASU tonight. DeJounte Murray is the real deal, he had a career high 34 points to go along with 11 rebounds and 6 assists. Biggest UW basketball game in years will be this weekend against Arizona.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:30 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Big overtime win against ASU tonight. DeJounte Murray is the real deal, he had a career high 34 points to go along with 11 rebounds and 6 assists. Biggest UW basketball game in years will be this weekend against Arizona.

Sadly, I think we still get blown out. Andrews looks like he's out of gas, and we just aren't capable of playing the defense necessary to beat a team as good as Arizona. I just can't handle the switching. We spend all game trying to compensate for mismatches. Arizona ripped us apart for it last time and I don't think we have any other plans to try anything different. I think it is only a matter of time before the players themselves start to go off the grid and stop switching everything.

Maybe Murray and Chriss can keep us in it. We're also going to need one of Green, Thybulle or Crisp, who is about out of the rotation, to step up and have a big night. I'm going to be rooting like crazy, but I don't think we're there yet. Man, it'll be huge if we can pull it out though.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:48 pm
  • Recruiting was more important than X's and O's at UDub at one point in time. Also, Romar probably wouldn't be able to recruit if he focused heavily on X's and O's. Just letting players "ball" is a big part of his recruiting excellence.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:51 am
  • pehawk wrote:Recruiting was more important than X's and O's at UDub at one point in time. Also, Romar probably wouldn't be able to recruit if he focused heavily on X's and O's. Just letting players "ball" is a big part of his recruiting excellence.

That's a pretty solid point that I hadn't thought about. Do you think he sells that in the living room?
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:54 am
  • Tough, kind of uplifting loss today. The kids came and tried to go toe-to-toe with Arizona. They got out-seniored a little bit, but gave AZ all they could handle. We gave up 8 offensive boards to Anderson, and at least half of those were direct results of switching screens. I think we win this game if we aren't switching every screen. Arizona knew we were going to do it, Anderson knew he was going to be on little guys all day long, and we just got torched in the paint.

Baby Boy needs to get a midrange game going. He took way too many 1-on-3 layups today and had no plan B.

Thybulle and Chriss were really impressive today. Dickerson's foul trouble really hurt. I'm excited to get another crack at these guys next month.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:54 am
  • Do UW fans think all these Fr will return next year? I heard on the radio that 1-2 of them are in mocks as first round picks.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:12 am
  • None of the current crop of freshmen came in as 'one-and-done' type players. Chriss and Murray both have NBA potential (others may as well, I don't claim to be an expert) and, if they receive indications they would be lottery picks, may well go. But I think the expectation is that all are likely to stay at least one more year.

Fultz, on the other hand, is widely expected to be at UW for only one year.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:41 pm
  • I think if Murray wants, he can probably leave after this year. Obviously he sky rocketed up draft boards the past couple weeks with his hot play. One draft site had him as a lottery pick, it's very hard for players to pass up the guaranteed money that being a lottery pick offers you. Personally, I think Murray needs to spend time at the collegiate level to get stronger. Yesterday was a good example of him not having the strength to finish in the NBA, as Arizona has an NBA-sized frontcourt.

IMO Chriss is still at least 2 years away from being an NBA prospect. The NBA will love his athleticism, but he everything else about him is so raw.

The goal is to have all the freshman stay so we can have one year of all these kids with Fultz, Timmons and Atewe.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:27 am
  • This team has really been fun to watch. Romar is really building something awesome.

As of now I'd say the only two players the dawgs will lose are Andrews (obviously graduating) and Dorsey (I think he will ultimately transfer). Murray is nba ready, but I don't see him leaving quite yet. Chriss is the one that gives me pause. Really hope he doesn't pull a Wroten because he could use another year in college. Losing either of those two would really hamper what this team could do next year. If the freshmen stay, however, that will be a very special team.
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:55 am
  • You just never know with young kids. I think Murray benefits most from staying. He's nothing in the NBA until he develops at least his mid-range game. I think he's got in in him. He's got a decent stroke and the ball comes off his hand cleanly, it is just a confidence and comfort issue at this point. The question is whether or not the best place to develop this is in college, vs. the D-league or the end of a NBA bench. It really is a tough question. He can dominate most college games just by going to the rack, so your fear is that if he stays in college, he's just going to keep doing it. In the NBA, he would probably be forced to develop, unless he wants to end up like Tony Wroten, possibly out of the league already because he failed to develop the rest of his game. However, Murray seems to be having a ton of fun in college, and I can see him staying for that reason.

Chriss to me has amazing NBA potential. Just so many tools. Inside game, outside game, some defense. Legit NBA athleticism. Legit NBA skills. The big issue is maturity. Stay in the game with the right attitude. Don't just dominate in stretches and don't show poor attitude and body language when things don't go your way. He also doesn't seem like he's having as much fun, and almost is treating the college game like it bores him. For that reason I can see him coming out if somebody tells him he'll go in the first round.

I think both are top-20 picks. I think both would benefit from more college. You never know what Jamal Crawford is telling Baby Boy. If they get into the tournament, I think there is a better chance they stay. Gun to my head, I'm guessing Murray stays and Chriss leaves, even though Murray is the better prospect at this stage.

On another only slightly related note, if those two weren't here, and we had vets, we would be so thrilled with Thybulle and Dickerson. Even Green. Those are the kinds of kids that can make teams special as junior and senior role players. This is going to be a lot of fun.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:37 pm
  • Any news on Michael Porter? I heard that his list is basically between us and KU. I heard we have the slight edge. Would be huge if we could land him. I know this isn't likely, but let me dream: Could you imagine a team of Fultz, Murray, Chriss, Porter and all the other young kids we already have? That team would be a final four contender.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:49 pm
  • Chad Ford on ESPN , has Murray at 26 fwiw.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:26 pm
  • As much fun as this team is offensively, I don't know how much more of this defense I can watch. DON'T SWITCH EVERY SCREEN. DON'T SWITCH EVERY SCREEN. DON'T SWITCH EVERY SCREEN.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:23 pm
  • Have they hit the wall?

I think they have to go 3-2 to finish out the year and probably win at least one game in the Pac12 tournament if they want to make the dance. It's very do-able. WSU and Stanford at home should both be wins. At Oregon is most likely a loss. Then they just need to win either at home against Cal or against the Beavers on the road.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:55 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Have they hit the wall?

I think they have to go 3-2 to finish out the year and probably win at least one game in the Pac12 tournament if they want to make the dance. It's very do-able. WSU and Stanford at home should both be wins. At Oregon is most likely a loss. Then they just need to win either at home against Cal or against the Beavers on the road.

It isn't a wall. Opposing coaches finally realized they are two screens away from having four mistmatches every time down the court. After the shot, they turn into mismatches under the rim, and then when we scramble to compensate for the mismatches it leaves shooters open. When you get behind, you can't catch up without getting stops.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:09 pm
  • Must win game tonight vs Cal IMO.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:40 am
  • If they don't make the tournament this year, Lorenzo needs to go. Two first-rounders and a senior scoring 20+ per. We're more talented than just about every team we play. Just so disappointing.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:36 am
  • Tical21 wrote:If they don't make the tournament this year, Lorenzo needs to go. Two first-rounders and a senior scoring 20+ per. We're more talented than just about every team we play. Just so disappointing.

There gonna have to win the Pac-12 tournament to get in, because they don't have one good win to there name, or at least onexpensive that I can think of. Romar can recruit he just can't coach, seems to be the theme at UW of late. Tons of talents nothing to show for it.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:56 am
  • Was looking at Past records of UW coaches,1 final 4 (1953) 1 elite 8 3-4 sweet 16s I don't know if change is better when you look at the history as a whole it's not very good.I just don't know who can do better than Romar,maybe if he just lets his coaches do the in game stuff while he recruits and gets the credit that could be best.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:57 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:If they don't make the tournament this year, Lorenzo needs to go. Two first-rounders and a senior scoring 20+ per. We're more talented than just about every team we play. Just so disappointing.

They won't fire him. They have a top 10 recruit coming in next year who is considered the best recruit in the Romar era. If we fire Romar then we most likely lose Markelle Fultz. If Fultz wasn't coming in, I'd say fire him after this year. But Husky fans need to understand that if we fire Romar, we lose an impact player in Fultz and we probably lose one or two of our really good pieces to transfers.

getnasty wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:If they don't make the tournament this year, Lorenzo needs to go. Two first-rounders and a senior scoring 20+ per. We're more talented than just about every team we play. Just so disappointing.

There gonna have to win the Pac-12 tournament to get in, because they don't have one good win to there name, or at least onexpensive that I can think of. Romar can recruit he just can't coach, seems to be the theme at UW of late. Tons of talents nothing to show for it.

No they don't. If we take care of business at home against Stanford and WSU and find a way to get a split against the Oregon schools then I think we are sitting in good position. Winning on the road against one of the Oregon schools is a big IF though. I think we need 4 wins total between now and Selection Sunday.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:15 pm
  • I think they need to win their next 5.

Why does it matter if Fultz comes here for a year if Romar is still coaching? Another disappointing season? Why? We're just going to waste the talent. What's the point?

The best chance the opposing teams have of beating us is to out-couch us, and it happens every game. Sometimes we win anyways. When the other team gets open shots all game long, and you get none, that is a coaching problem. Has the game passed him by? We shot like 30% last night. Utah shot 67% against us. 67%. That's coaching.

I love Lorenzo, and I'll probably cry when he leaves, but this is the second time in five years where we have had multiple elite, 1st round NBA talent type players, and won't make the tournament. That is REALLY hard for a coach to do. Not even make the tournament! I'm not talking about Sweet 16 or Elite 8. Not even make the tournament. That's difficult.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:30 pm
  • Lorenzo is a good guy.

But as a basketball coach he falls short.

Maybe we can get George Karl.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:33 pm
  • Fultz is most likely one-and-done unless he really disappoints next year. He is a once in a lifetime recruit, I can't see us firing Romar knowing that Fultz will de-commit. The only reason that he is coming here is because of Romar.

Lets keep things in perspective though. This team was picked to finish in between 10th and 12th in all preseason media polls. This team completely over-achieved early in the season. While this team is really talented, they have a lot of flaws. They are very limited upfront with Dime and Dickerson as the only true bigs. We are really young, 4th youngest team in the nation. And we have almost no bench. Dime is the only player who gives us production off the bench. Crisp has been horrible since conference play started and has clearly hit the wall and lost confidence. Green is just too inconsistent and I don't see him being a consistent contributor until his junior year.

If Romar can't get it done next year, then he is gone. And getting to the tournament won't be enough. I'd say Sweet 16 should be the goal next year if we bring everyone back. If Murray and Chriss stay, we likely have 3 first round picks on that team. Don't forget that next year we also get the Auburn transfer Atewe and the big man from New Zealand, Timmons.

If we do fire Romar, who is the replacement? Washington isn't exactly a hotspot for basketball. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:39 pm
  • Fire Romar?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:59 pm
  • yes, the guy can't coach defense. Losing to colorado 81-80 then to oregon state 82-81 is unacceptable. It's been a nice 10+ year run (not really).
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:32 pm
  • I dunno, but our bigs-- Crisp and Murray, got exposed on the glass last night.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:42 am
  • What other school in the country would give Romar another year?

Even with the supposed great class coming in, what confidence do you have that he will suddenly learn to coach like the best of them?

He needs to go, next year's recruiting class be damned.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:07 pm
  • Quack.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:16 am
  • Is d*ck Fain the biggest homer/whiner husky ever? I tuned in to hear what they had to say about the UO game, and it was just another day of crying about the loss to OSU. I bet I could re watch that beav game, and find 3-4 big calls that went the huskies way. Move on d*ck.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:57 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:Is d*ck Fain the biggest homer/whiner husky ever? I tuned in to hear what they had to say about the UO game, and it was just another day of crying about the loss to OSU. I bet I could re watch that beav game, and find 3-4 big calls that went the huskies way. Move on d*ck.

Losing to OSU most likely cost them the chance to make the NCAA tourney.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:15 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:Is d*ck Fain the biggest homer/whiner husky ever? I tuned in to hear what they had to say about the UO game, and it was just another day of crying about the loss to OSU. I bet I could re watch that beav game, and find 3-4 big calls that went the huskies way. Move on d*ck.

Losing to OSU most likely cost them the chance to make the NCAA tourney.

No doubt about it. Our tourney hopes went up in flames on a desperation 3 point shot at the buzzer. Weird how that works out. On a side note, I'd prefer to win a bunch of games in the NIT than get dominated in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:52 am
  • Ducks and dawgs in the tourney today. As a duck fan I'm worried about this game. Uw has everything to play for while the ducks are pretty much locked into a 2nd or 3rd seed in the big dance. I think uw has a lot more top end talent (nba talent) then uo does, but Altman can coach circles around romar. Wish Stanford would have done more to wear your boys down yesterday.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:18 pm
  • Altman is underrated, and you're right, we look so lost against him. Always a step behind. Our hopes with more structured teams like that is that we come out so athletic and so out-of-control that it throws the opposition off their game, and brings them into a streetball game. Seemingly never works against Oregon. They do annoying stuff like back-door us to death and really take advantage of our lack of discipline. God I hate the Ducks.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:00 pm
  • It is so awesome to listen to KC do a game that he has a rooting interest in.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:09 pm
  • Gotta make that dunk! Gotta get that rebound!! ahhhhhhhh
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:14 pm
  • Pac12 basketball officials make pac12 football officials look good. And I'm saying this from the perspective of both teams.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:16 pm
  • Romar has got to go. I'm so sick of his face and lack of defense. Pathetic. Constantly giving up 80+ a game. Get out and never come back you POS.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:30 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:Romar has got to go. I'm so sick of his face and lack of defense. Pathetic. Constantly giving up 80+ a game. Get out and never come back you POS.

Whoa. Dude. I've never been a huge fan of his X's and 0's, and his defensive philosophy failed miserably this year, but there is no place for calling that guy a POS. You may not remember what this program was like before he got here. If nothing else, the pure class he has brought to this program, and the quality of the young men he has helped mold forever prevents him from EVER justly being referred to as a "POS." That's bush.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:35 pm
  • Nope. Sorry. You don't earn my respect with having the 329th ranked defense. He has had plenty of time to figure it out.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:39 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:Nope. Sorry. You don't earn my respect with having the 329th ranked defense. He has had plenty of time to figure it out.

I think what tical is getting at is that the man himself is not a pos. you may not like him as a coach but he's a good dude and seems to do things the right way. No need to call him names.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:55 pm
  • Tough loss, but in the end Oregon was the better and more experienced team. There is a reason why they won the Pac12. We just made mistakes that a freshman team will make. And we didn't make the plays that experienced teams make.

And for those wanting Romar gone, I can guarantee you he will be back. We were picked to finish 11th in the Pac12, and exceeded pre-seaosn expectations. And mostly, we have the highest rated recruit in the Romar-era coming in next year. Axe Romar and Fultz is gone. Next season is the make-it-or-break-it year for Romar.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:08 pm
  • I take it back if it seemed like i was attacking him personally. I am attacking his ability to coach college basketball. It's absurd to me for someone to say "i'm not a fan of his X's and O's but...."

You just admitted his COACHING is crap. What else is there that REALLY matters? Basketball is ALL X's and O's. I don't care if hes a "good guy". He can't coach. Simple as that. Tired of people sticking up for him when he has had so much time to figure things out. Some of the defensive schemes I saw today against Oregon were a joke. Ranked 329 out of 351 defensively is embarrassing. It's not like Romar has gotten the job done prior to this year, either. Completely out coached in 05 by Lousiville when we had a GREAT team (final score was 90 to 70 something), and no Elite 8's. Every year has been an underachievement with this guy.

He. Cannot. Coach. Defense. Throw all the offense you want at him. We were 8th this year. It doesn't matter.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:24 pm
  • I completely agree that he is a poor in-game coach. He excels in recruiting and player development (just look at all the kids he has sent to the NBA). But there is no doubt he struggles with the X's and O'x and making in-game adjustments. But like I said earlier, we can try to wish away Romar all we want, but he isn't going anywhere now. As long as Fultz is committed, Romar is staying. If Fultz wasn't coming in, then I think there is a decent chance the program considers a coaching change.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:37 pm
  • So you guys think Murray and Chriss will be back next season?

This mock has Murray going in the lottery.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Chriss would be a 1st round pick as well. Losing Murray, Chris's and Andrews would be quite a big loss and it wouldn't matter how good faultz is.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Next

It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:55 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information