2016 NBA Dunk Contest ... was pretty good :)

byau

Reaction score
Anyone watch it?

It was pretty good this year. A good shootout reminiscent of the 1988 Dominique vs Jordan contest.

While the dunks were better and more athletic, won't match the Nique vs Jordan just because of the star power. Not likely to see that type of star power again in a dunk contest. But as far as dunks go and drama, this one was one of the best. I rate it up there maybe sixth

[youtube]FKFF78tHN_k[/youtube]

p.s. how I rate the dunk contests, of course it seems all the ones at the beginning were the best :)

1st: Nique vs. Jordan (1988?),

Long time coming too since the previous year Nique was injured, and the year before that Jordan was injured. Star power. Drama. The works

2nd: Spud Webb wins (1986?) (Spud vs Nique! Nique won the previous year)

3rd: Jordan wins in Seattle (1987?) (Jordan's coming out party in the dunk contest, no Nique nor Webb)

4th: Vince Carter wins (2000) (his coming out party)

5th: Zac Levine vs Aaron Gordon (2016) (though this would not be as big a deal without #6)

6th: Zac Levine coming out party (2015)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
byau":268t9erj said:
Anyone watch it?

It was pretty good this year. A good shootout reminiscent of the 1988 Dominique vs Jordan contest.

While the dunks were better and more athletic, won't match the Nique vs Jordan just because of the star power. Not likely to see that type of star power again in a dunk contest. But as far as dunks go and drama, this one was one of the best. I rate it up there maybe sixth

[youtube]FKFF78tHN_k[/youtube]

p.s. how I rate the dunk contests, of course it seems all the ones at the beginning were the best :)

1st: Nique vs. Jordan (1988?),

Long time coming too since the previous year Nique was injured, and the year before that Jordan was injured. Star power. Drama. The works

2nd: Spud Webb wins (1986?) (Spud vs Nique! Nique won the previous year)

3rd: Jordan wins in Seattle (1987?) (Jordan's coming out party in the dunk contest, no Nique nor Webb)

4th: Vince Carter wins (2000) (his coming out party)

5th: Zac Levine vs Aaron Gordon (2016) (though this would not be as big a deal without #6)

6th: Zac Levine coming out party (2015)
Boring and not better,just looks that way because you have HD today thats all.More athletic?Lmao

Rob12

Reaction score
Wish I still cared about the NBA. Unfortunately, Clay Bennett and David Stern extinguished that flame when they stole the Sonics.

(Sorry, I know this doesn't add anything of value to the thread, but I really do not like the NBA - at all. Haven't watched a game ever since the Supes bolted.)

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2gv14ffx said:
byau":2gv14ffx said:
Anyone watch it?

)
Boring and not better,just looks that way because you have HD today thats all.More athletic?Lmao

Without a doubt they're more athletic now. That doesnt mean they're better basketball players though (in fact, its probably hurt basketball skills).

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
JSeahawks":c6h9e6t7 said:
IndyHawk":c6h9e6t7 said:
byau":c6h9e6t7 said:
Anyone watch it?

)

Without a doubt they're more athletic now. That doesnt mean they're better basketball players though (in fact, its probably hurt basketball skills).

Very true. I think that's why nothing will ever match the first five contests. Pretty much the Jordan vs Nique was the last great one. The next year Clyde Drexler was the last all-star that entered (Beaten by Kenny Walker, who had some very athletic dunks but in no way was more than just a role player).

The 2000 comeback was nice with McGrady, Francis, and Carter. Since then, even with some stars in it, I haven't really gotten up for it. Same dunks but forced down our throat with way too much showmanship (see Blake Griffin jump over car). Zach Lavine's win last year was the first performance in a long time which I liked. Which helped this year's be one of my top five just because of the creative showdown between the last two

But the dunkers today are definitely not going to keep my interest like the heydey of the 80's with legit hall of famers going at it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1jnil36z said:
IndyHawk":1jnil36z said:
byau":1jnil36z said:
Anyone watch it?

)

You say without a doubt "more athletic" I'm going to ask "how do you figure"?I definately agree they are not better
basketball players,their skills are not as good by far.To be fair I think coaching has a lot to so with it.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1q7c9r2v said:
JSeahawks":1q7c9r2v said:
IndyHawk":1q7c9r2v said:
byau":1q7c9r2v said:
Anyone watch it?

)

You say without a doubt "more athletic" I'm going to ask "how do you figure"?I definately agree they are not better
basketball players,their skills are not as good by far.To be fair I think coaching has a lot to so with it.

The eye test. Every sport has better athletes now then it did twenty years ago. Whether its due to genetics, sports science, nutrition, more specialization from an early age, HGH and steroids, or who knows what. But I think its kind of obvious through out all sports.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
)[/quote]
Boring and not better,just looks that way because you have HD today thats all.More athletic?Lmao[/quote]

Without a doubt they're more athletic now. That doesnt mean they're better basketball players though (in fact, its probably hurt basketball skills).[/quote]
basketball players,their skills are not as good by far.To be fair I think coaching has a lot to so with it.[/quote]

The eye test. Every sport has better athletes now then it did twenty years ago. Whether its due to genetics, sports science, nutrition, more specialization from an early age, HGH and steroids, or who knows what. But I think its kind of obvious through out all sports.[/quote]
It's just funny that it doesn't make them better players and the superstars of the past sure looked like great athetes even compared to now,I'll use Jordan as a prime example.The one thing players today have is way too much unearned money that all they do is train for a few hours every other day and thats it pretty much,they have acess to free equipment,trainers,chefs and whatever else teams provide and it's fair to say that it's unfair to past players who didn't get these things unless they paid and did them on their own time but to your post I'll agree with it besides the better part because thats not so obvious at the highest level(superstar)below that I'll agree to an extent.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
It was approximately the same temperature in Toronto for the NBA all-star weekend as the Seattle vs Vikings playoff game. Just glad this slam dunk was indoors. Otherwise I would imagine worst dunk contest ever.

Tical21

Reaction score
They were really cool dunks, they really were. But if they aren't household names and you don't care who wins, you're basically just watching a bunch of random guys on Youtube performing a bunch of dunks. It just doesn't resonate.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Palmegranite":1fbpo1rs said:
It was approximately the same temperature in Toronto for the NBA all-star weekend as the Seattle vs Vikings playoff game. Just glad this slam dunk was indoors. Otherwise I would imagine worst dunk contest ever.
Do they usually have them outdoors or something?