The 2016 Seattle Mariners (Official season edition)

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Seafan wrote:Glad Clevenger got canned and with no pay. This should definitely improve moral in the club house. Go, M's!

No place for a racist jerk on the team.

Oh god and the most overused word in the Englihsh language strikes again. Please explain how anything he said is racist

Take it to the PM's. We will not be having a race/political argument on these forums.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Must win for the M's today. Walker needs to throw a gem.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Gained a game on Detroit, other than that, everyone else won.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• And the M's get it done with a great 4-3 victory to move to 2.5 games back behind Baltimore now. Baltimore's won 3 in a row and are playing really good ball now though. On to Houston!
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Baltimore has 6 away games left, at Toronto then at New York. If we are to get into a tie, we need them to go 3-3, while we go 6-1, Detroit would also have to go 5-2 (or worse) against Cleveland and Atlanta (interleague series to end the year? horrible idea, schedule makers)
    Hawker
    NET Starter

• Our chances aren't great. 2.5 GB with only 7 games left leaves us little room for error. Like Hawker mentioned, we probably have to go 6-1, might be able to get away with 5-2. Hate that Detroit ends with the awful Braves.

For the next week I'm a big M's fan, but also a big fan of the Indians, Blue Jays, Braves and Yankees.

I pretty much know how this will end, very similar to two years ago. Unfortunately you don't get any brownie points for almost making the playoffs. This season would be no different than any of the past 14 duds we've had. And to assume we build off this years success would be premature:

2014: We went 87-75, next year we went 76-86
    2009: We went 85-77, next year we went 61-101
    2007: We went 88-74, next year we went 61-101

That's what is so frustrating about this franchise, it can never put together consistency over consecutive years.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Don't do us dirty Diaz
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• CANO!!! You beautiful human being! Crushed!!! My goodness what a BOMB
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Rookie closer in high pressure situation. Hope he learns going forward. He might have to close a playoff game. ;)
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Great game..Diaz not so much but the kid is a rookie and he will be ok more times than Cishek ever was.GO M'S!!!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• GO MARINERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......Awesome game last night.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Marte sucks so bad. He just cost us two runs. Finding a SS will be a top priority this offseason.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Wow this inning sucks.

2 runs on an error and now bases loaded on an error and no hustle.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Marte sucks so bad. He just cost us two runs. Finding a SS will be a top priority this offseason.

Make that 4 runs now.

If we miss out on the playoffs by a half game I'll remember this inning for a long time. You can't make there mistakes when you are in a playoff hunt.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Marte sucks so bad. He just cost us two runs. Finding a SS will be a top priority this offseason.

Nah they'll keep him. They will say they see "some potential". Just like with Cishek and Vincent. Doesn't seem to matter how bad you are, once you've made the bigs you get all the chances in the world
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Screw marte for not flipping to cano. You don't run to second base from short stop then throw to first. It's like impossible with that kind of momentum. Too tough of a play. I bet cano is laughing on the inside. Also the reply showed Lind got to the base first in 2 of the angles.

Cursed.

Also you can't miss the playoffs by a half game.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

I've been saying Marte is trash all year long. Jim Moore even brought this up on 710 this afternoon.

By the way, the starting SS for next year is already on the roster, and should've been starting for months now. #O'Malley
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Felix has really struggled in big games. He gets 4 runs and can't make it hold up, sad to see him slippin.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Assuming they lose, and considering they're down 4 going into their last at bat it's very likely, this loss is going to hurt even worse cuz the Orioles lost. Could've been one game out. :(
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• We are fortunate the O's have a tough schedule and are playing bad ball in September. Still a chance but we'll need to get to within 1 game before the weekend. Win out...

I hope Marte is benched in favor of O'Malley for the remainder of the season, which hopefully, does not end on Sunday.
    Hawker
    NET Starter

• That was a tough loss. They pretty much have to win out now.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Marte sucks so bad. He just cost us two runs. Finding a SS will be a top priority this offseason.

I've been saying Marte is trash all year long. Jim Moore even brought this up on 710 this afternoon.

By the way, the starting SS for next year is already on the roster, and should've been starting for months now. #O'Malley

He's awful. Everyone loved him early in the season. I think people in Seattle want to root for the kid who came up through the farm system, too bad Seager is the only hitter who has had success through the farm system in the last 10 years for us. This team can't produce an offensive player, period.

Marte just sucks. Look at his numbers. He can't hit for average. Doesn't walk, so he doesn't get on base. He has little to no power as shown by his SLG and OPS. And is an average fielder at best.

Pretty much a must win today. I really like Detroit's chances of making it. While they do play Cleveland now, they finish up against the Braves. Not to mention Cleveland just clinched and are dealing with some injuries to their pitching staff. I think we pretty much have to win out. I don't even know if 4-1 would get us in at this point.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• getnasty wrote:Felix has really struggled in big games. He gets 4 runs and can't make it hold up, sad to see him slippin.

While I don't disagree with your general sentiment that Felix seems to be slipping, as in, not the dominant pitcher he once was, you do realize that 4 of the 6 runs Houston scored in that inning were UNearned runs due to 2 defensive errors?

In other words, not the pitchers fault.

Felix got a hitter to hit into what should have been a pretty easy, routine double play. Unfortunately, Marte blew it. If Marte turns that double play, we are likely having an entirely different conversation today.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Marte sucks so bad. He just cost us two runs. Finding a SS will be a top priority this offseason.

He's awful. Everyone loved him early in the season. I think people in Seattle want to root for the kid who came up through the farm system, too bad Seager is the only hitter who has had success through the farm system in the last 10 years for us. This team can't produce an offensive player, period.

Marte or O'Malley?
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Up 7-1 in the 5th with Paxton pitching so looks like a W today.

EDIT: May have spoken too soon. Now 7-4 bottom of 6, no outs and 'Stros have tying run coming to the plate.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I get the Marte blame but Felix in a game this big has to come through.He is just not the same,I hope the offseason brings clarity as to why that is.I'm pissed that we have given chances away to take that playoff spot.DAMMIT
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Oh todays playing now?GO PAX!!!..GO M'S!!!...PLEASSSSEEE!!!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• 12-4 YESSS!!!Live another day baby......
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• In May when the Mariners were in 1st place, I decided to subscribe to mlb.tv. Unfortunately immediately afterwards they got swept by the Twins and went into a tailspin (my bad, guys). After 3 weeks I canceled it and they suddenly got better. Now I just wake up every morning and check my phone to see if the Mariners won. They seem to win a lot except when Felix pitches.

So with that said, why does it seem Felix really struggles in every big game he pitches in? Happened during the 2014 stretch run too.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

• So I have to be a Yankees fan this weekend?

Baseball sucks.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Great win! The bats really alive today and what a way to battle back following the disappointing loss last night. 1.5 back of Baltimore, 4 to play. Probably need a sweep of Oakland. Going to be very interesting!
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Erebus wrote:In May when the Mariners were in 1st place, I decided to subscribe to mlb.tv. Unfortunately immediately afterwards they got swept by the Twins and went into a tailspin (my bad, guys). After 3 weeks I canceled it and they suddenly got better. Now I just wake up every morning and check my phone to see if the Mariners won. They seem to win a lot except when Felix pitches.

So with that said, why does it seem Felix really struggles in every big game he pitches in? Happened during the 2014 stretch run too.

He's only 30 but because he's thrown so many professional innings since he was 19, his arm is slowly tiring out-which is why he struggled the end of the '14 playoff chase also. He's been very durable but throwing 200+ innings every year for over a decade just takes its toll. Some guys can keep going longer but others can't. Just a physiological thing more than anything else. Koufax was done at 32 after logging similar inning workloads. Nolan Ryan was an anomaly.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Damn, O's with a win in the 9th. That sucks!
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Yup. O's and Detroit both won. Damn damn damn!!! Need them both to lose at least 2 of the next 4 and we have to sweep this 4 game series with the A's. Fingers, toes, arms, legs crossed :?
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• damn...

well, here we go ladies and gentlemen. Same as 2 years ago...need a sweep AND some luck.
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• It can at least happen, think positive.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Crizilla wrote:damn...

well, here we go ladies and gentlemen. Same as 2 years ago...need a sweep AND some luck.

Yeah we will definitely need some luck. Crazy to think we can finish the season 6-1 and still could miss the playoffs. Baltimore coming back to win last night really hurt.

Tbh, I just don't see Detroit falling apart and losing 2 of their last 4. Cleveland is really struggling with injuries, and it seems like they've taken their foot off the gas now that they've clinched.

Orioles I can definitely see dropping 2 of 4, but what good does it do if they drop 2 of 4 but Detroit doesn't.

The NL Wildcard race is the exact opposite. It is as if the Mets, Cards and Giants don't want to make the playoffs. Cards have lost 2 of 3 at home to the awful Reds, and last night they had the game tying run on 3rd with no outs in the 9th, and couldn't get him in.

If we don't make the playoffs i'll be disappointed.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Here is the thing. In baseball it's a 160 game season so it's supposedly no big deal when you lose a few games here or there. Take a look now....those here or there losses count as to whether you get in the playoffs or not.

People have been saying the Seahawks can afford to lose their game Sunday. I say $h!t, it is a 16 game schedule.

Regardless, the M's put themselves in this position for a LOT of reasons.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    Erebus wrote:In May when the Mariners were in 1st place, I decided to subscribe to mlb.tv. Unfortunately immediately afterwards they got swept by the Twins and went into a tailspin (my bad, guys). After 3 weeks I canceled it and they suddenly got better. Now I just wake up every morning and check my phone to see if the Mariners won. They seem to win a lot except when Felix pitches.

He's only 30 but because he's thrown so many professional innings since he was 19, his arm is slowly tiring out-which is why he struggled the end of the '14 playoff chase also. He's been very durable but throwing 200+ innings every year for over a decade just takes its toll. Some guys can keep going longer but others can't. Just a physiological thing more than anything else. Koufax was done at 32 after logging similar inning workloads. Nolan Ryan was an anomaly.

I get the dead arm thing but if there is no damage he can do stuff to make it stronger,I dunno if he really works out by the looks of it.Sandy K is not a good compare.He was pitching with horrible elbow pain for the last 5 years he played
    5 era titles,4 Cy Youngs,4 no hitters..He was throwing major heat till the end and Nolan was too at 46 yrs old.Felix is the best pitcher the Mariners have had for a long time but he doing things that indicate something is wrong like those walks
    and I just hope it can be fixed for next year otherwise it might be near the end.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Tigers game got postponed due to weather.

Orioles beat the Blue Jays.

We need a win to keep pace.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• No score after 3.5 innings. Neither team seem interested in getting anything going offensively. For crying out loud, Ms, anything short of a sweep just isn't going to be enough.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

• Listening on the radio... top of the 9th. If Diaz blows another one, I'd strip him of closer duties. Cishek has been far more consistent this month.

Also, slight knock on Servais... every game is a playoff game - why not have someone warming up in the pen at the first sign of trouble?

Hope Diaz can get out of the jam. Must win.
    Hawker
    NET Starter

• And then Diaz strikes out the side. NICE!

(phew!)

If we win out, we just need Baltimore and/or Toronto to lose their weekend series.
    Hawker
    NET Starter

• Gotta give it to the Orioles for continuing to win as well....so far anyway......
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Hawker wrote:And then Diaz strikes out the side. NICE!

(phew!)

If we win out, we just need Baltimore and/or Toronto to lose their weekend series.

Yeah that was a close one. :laugh:

btw, nunez was warming up, I believe
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Intersting that Toronto is now tied with Baltimore. Toronto has a real tough series at Fenway. Boston is going to be going for home-field advantage. They could very well go 1-2 or 0-3. Who knows what to expect with Baltimore at the Yankees. How crazy would that be if only one team made the playoffs from the AL East. I have a tough time seeing Detroit dropping more than one. They get the worst team in baseball and then a make-up game against the Indians in what could be a meaningless game for them.

Ok Taijuan, don't let us down. Probably one of the biggest games of his career tomorrow. It's really too bad we couldn't beat the Astros on Tuesday. Decent chance that game costs us playoffs.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Good clutch win for the M's tonight. Nice bomb by Zunino and solid pitching from everyone. Need to take care of business and win all 3 left to just have a chance. Elimination number down to 2. They can do it though.

To force at least a game 163 tiebreaker, Balt or Tor need to lose 2 out of 3 and Det needs to lose 1 out of 4. Bizarre things have happened many times before in the final weekend of the season but the M's have to keep fighting and sweep Oak to have any shot. Walker's up next. Get it done!
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, Toronto losing to Baltimore was actually probably better for us. Now we have two teams that we can catch up to.

Sweeping the As would mean that we just need a series loss from one of them. Winning three of four from the As means one of them would have to get swept. Basically, keep winning, and we have a decent shot at getting game 163 out of the season.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:50 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information