Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Mariners season record prediction thread *UPDATE*

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Let's predict the upcoming season before it begins. Last year the team finished 76-86.

I say they improve by 3 games and push .500 all year long. Cano is better this whole season though not incredible and starting pitching remains a strength.

My prediction for final record: 79-83.
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• 85 wins. Lose out in the wild card by a couple games
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• I'll say 85 wins. I think the lineup is going to be the best since the Edgar days, especially if Guti can stay healthy enough to rack up at bats.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I'll say 86 wins.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• 87 wins.

......... and Howard Lincoln will still be a clueless doofus.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:......... and Howard Lincoln will still be a clueless doofus.

Going waaaaay out on a limb with that prediction eh Hernia?
    :D
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• 78 wins
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:78 wins

Yep, that's about what I expect. Last year I fell for the 90+ win talk, this year I'll just wait and see. I fully expect a terrible start to the season, they have the toughest first month of any AL team.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• Im drinking the Kool Aid this year.

91 wins - AL west champs
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

• I drink the Kool-aid every year so i'll say 94 wins.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:......... and Howard Lincoln will still be a clueless doofus.

Not really, he just reiterated it today with his letter to the Seattle City council against the new arena.
    His is so worried about competing against 2 more local teams that he is too stupid/stubborn/ignorant to realize if his team WINS A LOT ON THE FIELD, he won't have to worry about competing with the NHL and NBA teams as people will show up in this town to support a winner, even if you have complete ass clown as CEO.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:......... and Howard Lincoln will still be a clueless doofus.

Not really, he just reiterated it today with his letter to the Seattle City council against the new arena.
    His is so worried about competing against 2 more local teams that he is too stupid/stubborn/ignorant to realize if his team WINS A LOT ON THE FIELD, he won't have to worry about competing with the NHL and NBA teams as people will show up in this town to support a winner, even if you have complete ass clown as CEO.

Guess I should've included a sarcasm emojie. Great post though man. Thanks!
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:

Guess I should've included a sarcasm emojie. Great post though man. Thanks!

Oh no, I got your point. Just pointing out the everlasting stupidity of the "Lincoln log".

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• what makes any of you think we are that much better than last year? coaching yes i think so but i dont think theyve done enough to get offense

i still see serious struggles
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• 100 wins
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler

• No point in planning to watch 250+ hours of baseball (as much the wife's idea as my own) and not be positive going in. I'll say 92 wins.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

• Somewhere in the 70's, hopefully the higher 70's. I still see way too many holes. I think a hole or two that we had previously will now be temporarily filled, which will be nice. I think we're going to regret trading Elias. I'm not at all sad to say I don't expect us to be a playoff team. I'm still more excited for this team than I've been in a dozen years.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• 117 wins !!! My oh my !!! ... I can dream can't i ?
    City Of Reign
    NET Starter

• 92 and a postseason. We're due.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
    FearTheBeak
    NET Veteran

• "........ and Howard Lincoln will still be a clueless doofus."

He isn't clueless.

The failure to generate results is by intent. They succeed just enough to keep interest intact, nothing more.

As is their continued activity to block the growth/opportunity for new sports franchises in the region.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:"........ and Howard Lincoln will still be a clueless doofus."

He isn't clueless.

The failure to generate results is by intent. They succeed just enough to keep interest intact, nothing more.

As is their continued activity to block the growth/opportunity for new sports franchises in the region.

I beg to differ.
    Howard like most CEO's is very short-sighted.
    Like I said in my previous post if the Mariners win, you don't need to worry about "competition".

In late 1980's early 90's worked for a small business that was always worrying and focused on what his nearest competitor was doing, I mean obsessed by it. Instead of focusing on his business, his customers, and his reputation, he was worried about the other guy while neglecting his business. He eventually went belly up after his mommies money ran out.

Decades later I part timed for his competitor, and asked if he ever wondered what the other guy was doing, he simply said "no."
    I asked him why not and he said "If I run my business right, treat my customers well, give them good value for what they are paying for, I have happy customers, that will keep coming back, and I don't have to worry about what some guy down the road is doing."

That train of thought doesn't register with the "Howard Lincoln types" of the world, Sadly.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Maybe, but I know this - roughly 4-5 years ago an associate of mine shared a story about the Mariners - given one of my software contacts was going to get a startup I was advising an in with them. He was fairly connected, having worked with Guy Kawasaki and was building AI & analytics engine which his software company decided to use for scouting.

(Now it had already been used to scout QBs for example the #1 quality we found that a college QB had that tended to indicate success in the pros was 4th quarter comebacks against top 25 teams...even given the subjective nature of how a team gets rated #25 and that good teams tend to have less comebacks in general. The # was % success rate on comebacks in that time period vs # of chances. But I digress...)

His analytics engine could reliably identify key characteristics that players that contribute in playoff runs tend to have, and combined with some of the objective data weighing - it was tremendously successful at taking blind submissions and identifying the star players in the mix based on their college #s. The pitch was the Mariners would be able to identify the kinds of players that would lead to playoff runs.

The problem? The Mariners DID NOT WANT to go to the playoffs. Their goal was to be the top 10 in attendance, but did not want to regularly get too far in the playoffs because players became more visible and would be harder to resign - as they became visible (The Seahawks can tell you about this issue now but I think they would still prefer having gotten the SB). Additionally, performance in the playoffs mattered for arbitration. And they were very clear WHY.

Clearly, I don't think he ended up moving forward.

Either way, the Mariners didn't want to win. Maybe they do now, but I really, really doubt it. People at the top of an organization do not stay that long without delivering results. So if the Mariners never produce on the field, you have to ask yourself what the results they ARE producing that allow them to be so steadfastly supported by the organization.

The experiences shared with me, from sources I trust, suggest onfield performance is not at all a KPI for success for the organization. They want tickets sold, seats filled - and don't care how it happens.

Be aware, dancing groundskeepers are cheaper than closers.....
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:Maybe, but I know this - roughly 4-5 years ago an associate of mine shared a story about the Mariners - given one of my software contacts was going to get a startup I was advising an in with them. He was fairly connected, having worked with Guy Kawasaki and was building AI & analytics engine which his software company decided to use for scouting.

(Now it had already been used to scout QBs for example the #1 quality we found that a college QB had that tended to indicate success in the pros was 4th quarter comebacks against top 25 teams...even given the subjective nature of how a team gets rated #25 and that good teams tend to have less comebacks in general. The # was % success rate on comebacks in that time period vs # of chances. But I digress...)

His analytics engine could reliably identify key characteristics that players that contribute in playoff runs tend to have, and combined with some of the objective data weighing - it was tremendously successful at taking blind submissions and identifying the star players in the mix based on their college #s. The pitch was the Mariners would be able to identify the kinds of players that would lead to playoff runs.

The problem? The Mariners DID NOT WANT to go to the playoffs. Their goal was to be the top 10 in attendance, but did not want to regularly get too far in the playoffs because players became more visible and would be harder to resign - as they became visible (The Seahawks can tell you about this issue now but I think they would still prefer having gotten the SB). Additionally, performance in the playoffs mattered for arbitration. And they were very clear WHY.

Either way, the Mariners didn't want to win. Maybe they do now, but I really, really doubt it. People at the top of an organization do not stay that long without delivering results. So if the Mariners never produce on the field, you have to ask yourself what the results they ARE producing that allow them to be so steadfastly supported by the organization.

The experiences shared with me, from sources I trust, suggest onfield performance is not at all a KPI for success for the organization. They want tickets sold, seats filled - and don't care how it happens.

Great post and 100% true. I don't get an incompetence vibe from Mariners ownership, more just a non baseball vibe. Cano was signed only because the Seahawks won the SB and they needed to not get lost in all our admiration. It was obvious.

Everything they do is to just keep enough interest. That's it. Nothing more or less. They're the model for Jed in the Bay.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• 90 wins if the pitching holds up. The offense will definitely be better.
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• pehawk wrote:
    Great post and 100% true. I don't get an incompetence vibe from Mariners ownership, more just a non baseball vibe. Cano was signed only because the Seahawks won the SB and they needed to not get lost in all our admiration. It was obvious.

Everything they do is to just keep enough interest. That's it. Nothing more or less. They're the model for Jed in the Bay.

240 million over 10 years just to hold casual fan interest?

Imagine if we had ran Lynch from a yard out. M's may have Cespedes.

I get what TH is saying. I wouldn't go as far as saying the M's dont "want" to win. I do believe they are only willing to go so far to do so as it may contradict other interests.

That said, I think they have done almost everything they could have done this off season and am excited for Opening Day.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• These are still the Mariners. I say 75 wins.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• "I get what TH is saying. I wouldn't go as far as saying the M's dont "want" to win. I do believe they are only willing to go so far to do so as it may contradict other interests."

You missed the part where I shared that they felt that reaching the playoffs increased their costs. It was counter to their interests, in fact, one of their goals was to ID what the minimum amount of playoff trips needed to be, and at what intervals, in order to keep ticket sales high.

However, another issue comes forward. Sports is filled with tremendously intelligent people spending massive amounts of money to arrive at the same goal. And, in some respects, it is a zero sum game. Wins on one side translate to losses on the other.

The question needs to be asked, just how you can expect great results EVER from an organization that wants to actively avoid on field success but for in bits & spurts? There are at least a handful, if not more, organizations in the same sport fighting for scarce wins because winning is part of their organizational goals - so how is an organization expected to produce against that when it does not even try to win?

Sports is hard.

Even teams that put everything on the table and go 100% all in, sometimes don't reach don't reach the objective. But the Mariners, who are almost ambivalent about on-field success, might somehow stumble into it? And if they did, considering the organization wants to avoid that visibility - wouldn't the organization then pull back? Especially considering the costs it has to pay just to look like it cares about winning?

Expecting the Mariners to win anything, is expecting them to luck into achievement - to accidentally stumble forward at a time a lot of other teams are giving their all to actually achieve. It isn't reasonable or rational to expect. And the last 20 years of the Mariners, at a minimum, are a pretty solid track record of what you will get.

Franchises rarely just "start" winning with the same owner, the Seahawks did once they changed ownership. The Sonics stopped winning once they changed ownership. The Mariners, with the same ownership, lost repeatedly, got better & tasted winning for a while - did not like it, and have actively avoided it since.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• I didn't miss anything. I just don't buy it to the level you are plying it. Not trying to win is a point you're trying to sell. Sorry, I don't see it.

The team itself is set up to win. They have made changes to their staff and lineup to do so. DiPuto is not an accident. Felix's extension, Cruz, Cano, resigning Seager, are not coincidences. They very well could succeed regardless of what you believe the intentions of the ownership are.

I do not think the M's would go much further than the rather major investment they have made in the squad. They were 11th in salary last year, are 11th this year. By all stretch of logic the team should compete. You want to shout that they are purposefully losing (avoiding success) while maintaining an image of competitiveness. I think that's just hyperbolic assumption. They have a level of which they are willing to push the team. Many franchises have succeeded under a similar philosophy. Your 2015 baseball playoffs are a prime example. One playoff team was in the top 10 in salary. 2 were in the bottom 10.

Seattle has every advantage that those teams had, and maybe some more. Again, I don't see them stretching their salary beyond that. However, that's not trying to lose or avoiding winning.

to each his own. I'll watch the games without you.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si, "NET hottie"??

WTF? How low have the standards gotten here?

I jest. I agree with you that it isn't 'purposeful mediocrity' but no surprise because I don't agree with TH's assertion that trading Max Unger was the sole reason the Hawks didn't win the Super Bowl this past season either. But to each their own. I do agree with Hernia's rant about Lincoln though. My hope is that he leaves DiPoto alone and he's successful in his approach.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Uncle Si, "NET hottie"??

WTF? How low have the standards gotten here?

I jest. I agree with you that it isn't 'purposeful mediocrity' but no surprise because I don't agree with TH's assertion that trading Max Unger was the sole reason the Hawks didn't win the Super Bowl this past season either. But to each their own. I do agree with Hernia's rant about Lincoln though. My hope is that he leaves DiPoto alone and he's successful in his approach.

I have the calves of an ancient Greek marathoner and a jaw line chiseled by the Roman Gods themselves.

M's operations are probably the worst in the city's history of franchises. I don't think they are avoiding wnning however.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• pehawk wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Maybe, but I know this - roughly 4-5 years ago an associate of mine shared a story about the Mariners - given one of my software contacts was going to get a startup I was advising an in with them. He was fairly connected, having worked with Guy Kawasaki and was building AI & analytics engine which his software company decided to use for scouting.

Spot on!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• They got rid of Montero,that ought to be good for 5 more wins alone..90-72
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Yes , but they sent down the Irish guy. Even.
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• My usual prediction of 79 stands until that snake called Howard Lincoln is not only fired, but dead and buried. How somebody so clueless about professional sports and in particular MLB gets to run a franchise is beyond me. Especially since I know the punk personally and have talked baseball and the Mariners position in it face to face.

Hey, here's a hint...take a hint from the Royals and Glass given both teams are at the same market level and start drafting actual players. Also do it like St. Louis and draft right while coaching up right. It sickens me how we are wasting our current talent.

At least I have TWO elite teams in this State and ONE team 15 minutes away that I can't watch on television. I suppose that is still better than the joke you guys have to endure.

Then again you would have to pay me serious money to watch a game at The K if it's beyond April. St. Louis I go to just because that is a pure baseball town no pass go and no $200.

Kansas City is very similar to Seattle in the fact they are Football towns even though they have history of other sports being elite and conquering the pinnacle.
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties

• 95 - this is the year the Mariners become relevant again in the AL West. Post season here we come.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• 81 wins and the bullpen will blow 81 games.
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• FWIW, most sportsbooks have the M's season win total at 82 wins.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:FWIW, most sportsbooks have the M's season win total at 82 wins.

The under has never been so easy.

Except you know, when you took the under for last years team.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Good luck with your season and the American League West. Win em all unless your playing my Jays :)
    soohawk
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:what makes any of you think we are that much better than last year? coaching yes i think so but i dont think theyve done enough to get offense

i still see serious struggles

They've filled 3 or 4 black holes in the lineup with competent hitters and have stressed a lineup that creates fewer outs by emphasizing OBP. The Mariners are going to bring a lot more hitters to the plate than before, and that should result in more runs scored.

My concern is the bullpen, which is paper thin, and a starting rotation which has massive downside. If the Mariners can achieve league average pitching then I'd expect them to be serious playoff contenders. But it could be just the opposite too. Pitching is a serious question mark.
    Last edited by kearly on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• TwistedHusky wrote:Maybe, but I know this - roughly 4-5 years ago an associate of mine shared a story about the Mariners - given one of my software contacts was going to get a startup I was advising an in with them. He was fairly connected, having worked with Guy Kawasaki and was building AI & analytics engine which his software company decided to use for scouting.

I love the story but the premise is silly. Mariners attendance the year after their first playoff berth was 245% higher the year before their first playoff berth. Mariners attendance stayed strong for years thanks to occasional playoff runs in the late 90s. Mariners attendance peaked in 2002 after back to back ALCS appearances, and then slowly dropped from there the further things got from a playoff run. In recent years, attendance has been the lowest since 1995 thanks to an epic playoff drought.

History shows that making the playoffs creates a huge boon for attendance in the years that follow. If their strategy was to miss the playoff on purpose to save some arb money, then they are far dumber than we ever believed.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:Maybe, but I know this - roughly 4-5 years ago an associate of mine shared a story about the Mariners - given one of my software contacts was going to get a startup I was advising an in with them. He was fairly connected, having worked with Guy Kawasaki and was building AI & analytics engine which his software company decided to use for scouting.

I love the story but the premise is silly. Mariners attendance the year after their first playoff berth was 245% higher the year before their first playoff berth. Mariners attendance stayed strong for years thanks to occasional playoff runs in the late 90s. Mariners attendance peaked in 2002 after back to back ALCS appearances, and then slowly dropped from there the further things got from a playoff run. In recent years, attendance has been the lowest since 1995 thanks to an epic playoff drought.

History shows that making the playoffs creates a huge boon for attendance in the years that follow. If their strategy was to miss the playoff on purpose to save some arb money, then they are far dumber than we ever believed.

You said that in a far more PC way than I was going to.

There is zero chance that they don't want to win. Zero. They run it like a business and they want to make money. Winning makes infinite money in baseball. They simply don't know how to win.

I actually have no problem at all with absentee owners. The owner has two jobs. Provide correct funding, and hire the correct baseball people. With the exception of 2001, when they wouldn't approve upping the payroll for another bat, they've provided ample money. However, they haven't hired good baseball people. Bavasi and Jack Z are the reasons we have been terrible, not the ownership. Rather...Montero, Smoak, Ackley, Zunino, Clement, Bedard, Figgins, Beltre, Sexson, Hultzen, Paxton ALL being gynormous busts are the reasons we have been terrible. I can't even blame Jack Z in full for that. Almost all of those had at least a decent chance of working out wonderfully, and every single one of them missed. We couldn't even develop one of them. Not one. That isn't the fault of the owner.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:
    kearly wrote:

You said that in a far more PC way than I was going to.

There is zero chance that they don't want to win. Zero. They run it like a business and they want to make money. Winning makes infinite money in baseball. They simply don't know how to win.

I actually have no problem at all with absentee owners. The owner has two jobs. Provide correct funding, and hire the correct baseball people. With the exception of 2001, when they wouldn't approve upping the payroll for another bat, they've provided ample money. However, they haven't hired good baseball people. Bavasi and Jack Z are the reasons we have been terrible, not the ownership. Rather...Montero, Smoak, Ackley, Zunino, Clement, Bedard, Figgins, Beltre, Sexson, Hultzen, Paxton ALL being gynormous busts are the reasons we have been terrible. I can't even blame Jack Z in full for that. Almost all of those had at least a decent chance of working out wonderfully, and every single one of them missed. We couldn't even develop one of them. Not one. That isn't the fault of the owner.

So let me get this straight. You blame the coaching and scouting and not the fool that has been the lead clown in this three ring circus of epic futility for the last 20 years? Gotcha.

Heads up Tical21, this goes to the organizational level and that organization is both rotten and loser at the core level. They don't even draft right and never have. It should be illegal to allow such incompetence but it's baseball and there isn't any salary cap just stupid ownership. In otherwords 79 wins until the end of time. If they do any better I'd still question it whether it's right before my eyes or not until there is an ownership change top to bottom.
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties

• 62-100
    Kennedyin92
    NET Starter

• 75 wins, and the race for mediocrity is on today with loss number one, Woohoo Ms.... :roll:
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

• We are on pace to go 0-162 :cry:
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• The only team I know that can give up one hit and lose 3-2.
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• Now the question is, will the Ms get over .500 at all this season?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:32 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information