Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It is finally Masters week!!

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
It is finally Masters week!!
Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:41 pm
  • Oh man, feels like such a long time coming this year. It is finally here! Who ya got??

For no reason whatsoever, and I've said a whole bunch of times that he would never win a major, I've got Dustin Johnson this week.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Re: It is finally Masters week!!
Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:08 pm
  • If his back is healthy, I think Jason Day is the favorite. If not.. then it gets pretty interesting. Could see Bubba Watson making another run. Spieth has been shaky so far but he's still so good you can't count him out. Phil also seems due for a run at a major.

Should be a fun weekend though.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:46 pm
  • As a fellow lefty of course i"ll be pulling for Phil, if not him i hope Dustin Johnson wins. My darkhorse is gonna be Brooks Keopka. Par 3 contest was crazy today.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:55 pm
  • Phil is done. Thank goodness. I'm a lefty too but man I strongly dislike that guy. I will always root for the Filipino Jason Day. I was picking him for these things years before he became fashionable. I think he will be around for sure. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he wins it, but my gut tells me he just doesn't go low enough this weekend. I'm also feeling Louis and Charl. I'm always suckers for them though. I love watching Louis swing a golf club. I miss Eldrick.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:02 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Phil is done. Thank goodness. I'm a lefty too but man I strongly dislike that guy. I will always root for the Filipino Jason Day. I was picking him for these things years before he became fashionable. I think he will be around for sure. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he wins it, but my gut tells me he just doesn't go low enough this weekend. I'm also feeling Louis and Charl. I'm always suckers for them though. I love watching Louis swing a golf club. I miss Eldrick.

Not a big Phil fan either, but its foolish to write him off in the Masters.. he has been in the Top 10 15 of the last 21 Masters. He'll hang around.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:15 pm
  • Plus Phil has been playing really well this year.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:03 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Oh man, feels like such a long time coming this year. It is finally here! Who ya got??

For no reason whatsoever, and I've said a whole bunch of times that he would never win a major, I've got Dustin Johnson this week.

Always around the 1st of the new year I'm thinking, a little over 3 months until the Masters, Can't wait!

Final round Sundays we'll get 18 in and home around noon when the final groups are just teeing off. Order some pizzas and hym and haw at all the great shots we wish we could pull off.

As a favorite, I'd love to see Jordan win back to backs. Will he pull that off I don't know, but I'll say this now, when it's all said and done he'll have more major victories than Tiger. When his flat stick is on, no one putts better. If he can hit fairways and greens. look out.

As a dark horse, well kinda dark, he hasn't won a Major yet, I'm going with Rickie Fowler. If he can conjure up the mental toughness to win in a 3way playoff at the Players Championship like he did at Sawgrass last year, he's got a chance.
    400WattHPSHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:42 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Wee Rory to finally get over the hump. He has to show up with his putter though. Rest of his game has been great this year so far, but his putter keeps letting him down.

I can't in my right mind believe he has any kind of chance while putting cross-handed. That is Freddy Couples type desperation. His head isn't in a good place with the putter. Your feel and touch has got to be immaculate at Augusta, and putting cross-handed is something you kind of do to take feel and touch out of the equation.

It kind of breaks my heart to see Rory going to this. I thought he was one of those classic, strong-minded types that would be strong enough in his conviction to never resort to gimmick putting. Perhaps you could have seen it coming as he's always had that strange choke follow-through. Maybe he's never actually seen himself as a truly great putter. Kind of strange for a guy that has won as many majors as he has at his age.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:47 pm
  • 400WattHPSHawk wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Oh man, feels like such a long time coming this year. It is finally here! Who ya got??

Always around the 1st of the new year I'm thinking, a little over 3 months until the Masters, Can't wait!

Final round Sundays we'll get 18 in and home around noon when the final groups are just teeing off. Order some pizzas and hym and haw at all the great shots we wish we could pull off.

As a favorite, I'd love to see Jordan win back to backs. Will he pull that off I don't know, but I'll say this now, when it's all said and done he'll have more major victories than Tiger. When his flat stick is on, no one putts better. If he can hit fairways and greens. look out.

As a dark horse, well kinda dark, he hasn't won a Major yet, I'm going with Rickie Fowler. If he can conjure up the mental toughness to win in a 3way playoff at the Players Championship like he did at Sawgrass last year, he's got a chance.

I'm not a believer yet that Jordan is on that level. He's got that "it" factor, he definitely does. He is as good at willing himself to victory as anyone in the current game. He's a shot maker. It wouldn't surprise me at all if I'm wrong. He's got the confidence to do it. I just don't love his swing. He's a little loose at the top and a little off-plane. Definitely gets it to work for him though.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:34 am
  • I've got Charl Schwartzel in my fantasy league. (1 pick per event, can only use each player once)

At the beginning of the year I had Spieth slotted this week but he's been (sort of) inconsistent whereas the Schwartz has finished top-20 in all events played this year plus 1 win and consistently great Sunday closing rounds.

For perspective in my league here are the number of picks per player:
    Scott - 11
    McIlroy - 8
    Day - 7
    Bubba - 4
    Fowler - 4
    Rose - 2
    DJ - 2
    Spieth - 2
    Oosthuizen - 1
    Koepka - 1
    Mickelson - 1
    Schwartzel - 1

I really think this is Rickie's week - he is steller in poor weather (statistics back this up). But I have him slotted as my PGA Championship pick.

Really surprised Patrick Reed isn't in the convo here. He's been top-15 in just about every tournament and he's really coming on strong of late. He's fired up and I think poised to contend for the green jacket come Sunday.
    Hawker
    NET Starter

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:37 am
  • Day's the favorite, my pick is Bubba............but I'm rooting for Fowler to finally win his first major.

As a long time golf fan, I love this new crop of young phenoms finally coming into their own. Well mannered, respectful but with their own personalities that are really adding to the enjoyment of the game..............and if you were out at the US Open last year like me, REALLY breathing life into the young fans who followed guys like Jordan, Rory and Ricky around like rock stars.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:14 pm
  • Spieth off to a fast start today with an opening round 66

Jason Day 3-under through 7.

Could be shaping up to be a great battle this weekend between the Top 2 golfers going right now.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:12 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:I'd say we can probably safely rule out Rickie at this point. Rough first round for him.

+8, Yikes!
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:55 pm
  • Not sure how this is possible, but Ernie Els SEVEN putted the first hole today

Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:23 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:Spieth off to a fast start today with an opening round 66

Jason Day 3-under through 7.

Could be shaping up to be a great battle this weekend between the Top 2 golfers going right now.

Day bottled it on the 15th. I worry his back thing might be catching up to him. Wee Rory had a typically up-and-down round for himself today, if he can iron out a couple of kinks, he'll be bang in the running come the weekend.

Yeah Day came apart on the back 9. He shot a front 9 31 and a back 9 41. Crazy.

Wind is definitely going to be an issue the next two days. Not sure Spieth will shoot another 66 so Day and all those by him aren't out of it yet if they can put together a nice round.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:20 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Day's the favorite, my pick is Bubba............but I'm rooting for Fowler to finally win his first major.

As a long time golf fan, I love this new crop of young phenoms finally coming into their own. Well mannered, respectful but with their own personalities that are really adding to the enjoyment of the game..............and if you were out at the US Open last year like me, REALLY breathing life into the young fans who followed guys like Jordan, Rory and Ricky around like rock stars.

Yep. The next dozen years are going to be absolutely unreal. You've legitimately got ten or so guys all relatively young that are going to be playing well more often than not. They say it is a big three, but how can you not include Adam Scott and Bubba? Then you've got the guys like DJ, Rickie and even guys like Matsuyama, Koepka, Louis and who knows how many others? Rose isn't going anywhere anytime soon. We're going to be seeing guys go toe-to-toe for years! Think about the Ryder Cups and President's Cups. What IF Tiger has another run in him where he gets up in the mix for a couple years?
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:07 am
  • Time for El Nino to win his first major??? Hope Sergio has another great round Friday. Have always been a fan of his iron play.

Anywho, dammit, I should have picked Spieth. Lots of other big names had a terrible first round; see: Scott, Bubba, Fowler, DJ...
    Hawker
    NET Starter

Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:55 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:Not sure how this is possible, but Ernie Els SEVEN putted the first hole today

This was unreal and hard to watch. Wish it would have happened to someone else, Ernie is a classy guy.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:36 am
  • I am with you all on the Masters week. There is a tournament that a quite a few of the guys in the local association used to go to in Buhl/Twin Falls Idaho area. Practice rounds on Friday, then a 2 day tournament that is flighted. If you call in, you are in. If they are full, they do not bump people for a higher flight or better player. I have not played it in over 10 years and cant play at the moment due to injury. We jokingly call it the Idaho Masters....as it is the Buhl Amateur. They really cater to the players too. Steak dinner on Sat Afternoon.

Anyhow, I really like how Spieth looks so far. I like how his caddy is a down to earth person keeping Jordan calm and not freaking out on every shot. A caddy like that is worth his weight. Lefty is always in the hunt and I expect him to be so this weekend as well. Big Easy has gotten bigger and still has class. I like his chances to come back as He knows the course as well. As one of the other posters on this string has said, I like the new young upstarts too. I think the game is still in great shape with all those players infusing their dreams in this game. Last week was interesting too with the gentleman only winning 2 tournaments thru the Nike/Nextnewnamedotcom and PGA tours. And yes, I am not forgetting Jason Day. I think he has potential to make a run if his caddy can keep him calm and focused too.

BTW...I am not on a pickum for this tournament....just enjoying the good shots and usually picking a club higher for each shot than the pros.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:41 am
  • pretty cool shot here, practice of course
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:48 am
  • Hawker wrote:Time for El Nino to win his first major??? Hope Sergio has another great round Friday. Have always been a fan of his iron play...

I hate Garcia, he's a punk. I hope he never wins a major.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:17 pm
  • Hates a strong word.I didn't like the young version of Garcia but as he has aged,I think he has changed.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:27 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawker wrote:Time for El Nino to win his first major??? Hope Sergio has another great round Friday. Have always been a fan of his iron play...

I hate Garcia, he's a punk. I hope he never wins a major.

Agree, he's a b!@ch.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:20 pm
  • Hawker wrote:Time for El Nino to win his first major??? Hope Sergio has another great round Friday. Have always been a fan of his iron play.

Anywho, dammit, I should have picked Spieth. Lots of other big names had a terrible first round; see: Scott, Bubba, Fowler, DJ...

Sergio will choke as always.

One more round of windy conditions, tomorrow will be really interesting considering Sunday the conditions are supposed to be perfect.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:14 pm
  • Sick of looking at Spieth,I can see why he gets put on the clock a lot.I hope the old man wins it or anyone but last years winner
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:34 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:Sick of looking at Spieth,I can see why he gets put on the clock a lot.I hope the old man wins it or anyone but last years winner

If you're sick of looking at Spieth you're going to really hate the next 20 years of golf.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:48 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Sick of looking at Spieth,I can see why he gets put on the clock a lot.I hope the old man wins it or anyone but last years winner

If you're sick of looking at Spieth you're going to really hate the next 20 years of golf.

Yep, Jordan isn't going away anytime soon.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:10 pm
  • Lets go JS!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Subzero717
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:12 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Sick of looking at Spieth,I can see why he gets put on the clock a lot.I hope the old man wins it or anyone but last years winner

Not exactly- he won't win everytime and he's not winning Sunday.Go BL!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:35 pm
  • What an awesome Saturday!! Ohh man Matsuyama would be right there if he didn't forget to bring his putter down the stretch. I have hated Langer for over 30 years now. Dude is a raccoon. Kaufman is gonna shoot 100 tomorrow. I'm hoping that DJ/Day pairing catches some fire and lights it up a little bit.

Spieth is just such a surgeon. I think he's going to come out on fire after what happened on 18. He showed poor Rory who was in charge yesterday. I'm just really glad that tomorrow is going to be more than a coronation round.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:30 am
  • Did Masters Dot Org go away and be replaced with Masters Dot Com? I looked for it online and could not find an answer.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:45 pm
  • This 12th hole is nasty

Spieth within 2 strokes through 16. Has to birdie both holes to force the playoff
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:01 pm
  • Congrats to Dan Willett!Jordan is done.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:36 pm
    IndyHawk wrote:Congrats to Dan Willett!Jordan is done.

I wouldn't say he's done, but that's a big knock to his confidence. He's certainly not lighting up the courses like he was last year. We'll see what happens.

I meant done for the match but I will say 1 year does not make a career,I know the media wants another Arnold,Jack and Tiger.I have seen a bunch come and go that they try to hype before they get anywhere near legend level.With the money and media 24/7 I doubt there will be another golfer of those likes again.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:54 am
  • Jordan is 22, he'll bounce back. Dustin Johnson continues to hang around, but can't make that final push. He has all the talent to be the next great player, but he always seems to miss critical shots.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:51 am
  • CPHawk wrote:Jordan is 22, he'll bounce back. Dustin Johnson continues to hang around, but can't make that final push. He has all the talent to be the next great player, but he always seems to miss critical shots.

Johnson can't putt, has always been his Achilles Heel.

Spieth will be fine, he's already at 22 one of the most composed mentally tough players on tour. I never like to see a player meltdown like that, unless it's Sergio.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:29 pm
    IndyHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Congrats to Dan Willett!Jordan is done.

I wouldn't say he's done, but that's a big knock to his confidence. He's certainly not lighting up the courses like he was last year. We'll see what happens.

I meant done for the match but I will say 1 year does not make a career,I know the media wants another Arnold,Jack and Tiger.I have seen a bunch come and go that they try to hype before they get anywhere near legend level.With the money and media 24/7 I doubt there will be another golfer of those likes again.

You may be right. The media puts so much pressure on young sports stars these days, and the exposure gets to them, in my opinion. I feel like that's what happened to Rory, remains to be seen if he can get that swagger from 2 years ago back. Spieth may be suffering from the same condition.

Rory is a great example.If Jordan is so mentally tough as Largent puts it how do you blow the Masters like he did?The kid is a great putter but he is very jumpy before he shoots like he's fighting mental demons.I question as he gets older and his ego gets bigger where his caddie and swing coach cannot get through to him anymore what will he be then?There is the burnout factor ect.He is an older 22 year old and I wonder if his body is the same(older beyond years)this would bring on injuries which we have seen happen that a golfer isn't the same anymore.A lot of this is just speculation by me but these things have happened to many rising young golfers that you never hear about anymore.The mental factor is so fragile in this sport.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:50 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:Rory is a great example.If Jordan is so mentally tough as Largent puts it how do you blow the Masters like he did?The kid is a great putter but he is very jumpy before he shoots like he's fighting mental demons.I question as he gets older and his ego gets bigger where his caddie and swing coach cannot get through to him anymore what will he be then?There is the burnout factor ect.He is an older 22 year old and I wonder if his body is the same(older beyond years)this would bring on injuries which we have seen happen that a golfer isn't the same anymore.A lot of this is just speculation by me but these things have happened to many rising young golfers that you never hear about anymore.The mental factor is so fragile in this sport.

Spieth was most definitely feeling the pressure over the weekend, doing things he never does like back off of shots and putts taking more time. He was even put on the clock Saturday for taking too long.

Even the most mentally tough golfers of all time like Nicklaus and Woods had meltdowns, hell Nicklaus won 19 majors, but came in 2nd 17 times. 17 times!

So yeah, I have no doubt Spieth, even at age 22 will bounce back. He's mature well beyond his years. His demeanor AFTER the quad bogey and after told me everything I needed to know. Calm, polite, cool and collected.............none of the mentally weak red flags you see with athletes who crap the bed.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:33 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:I question as he gets older and his ego gets bigger where his caddie and swing coach cannot get through to him anymore what will he be then?

I doubt his ego will ever be a problem.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:16 pm
    DTexHawk wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:I question as he gets older and his ego gets bigger where his caddie and swing coach cannot get through to him anymore what will he be then?

Why's that?

He is from Texas.

Subzero717
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:36 pm
  • Subzero717 wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:I question as he gets older and his ego gets bigger where his caddie and swing coach cannot get through to him anymore what will he be then?

Why's that?

He is from Texas.

Yep,being he's from Texas his ego can't get any bigger than it already is.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:52 pm
  • I still can't believe I saw what I saw. After he hit his first shot into the water at 12, he was visibly flustered. His body language and speech pattern instantly changed. I think most of us who have played at any kind of halfway serious level have had those moments where we are having negative reactions to tension, we get stuck in our heads, don't know what is going on and get that feeling that we just don't know if we're capable of putting a good swing on a ball. I legitimately thought I would never see that from Jordan Spieth. He completely panicked. Bad swings, bad shots, sure, but panicked? Jordan couldn't control his nerves. I'm disappointed. Not that it isn't unprecedented. It happened to Arnie a few times. Phil, of course. I don't know about Watson. But in their primes, this didn't happen to Jack, and didn't happen to Tiger.

Is it possible that all of these guys, while unbelievably talented, aren't true winners the way that Player, Watson, Snead, Hogan, Nicklaus, Woods and even Trevino were? How many majors over the past few years have the majority of the players folded like tents? More often than not, I think most of these guys do. Even Jason Day has failed to flourish down the stretch more than a couple of times.

If Tiger can somehow find a way to get to his B game, I think he beats these guys a good portion of the time. This Masters tournament screamed Woods victory to me. I dunno, maybe a 67 from Willett is something Tiger couldn't have overcome. However, with the rest of the field failing to do anything at all for two days, those are the tournaments that Tiger finds a way to grind out. I know he was sitting there watching, pissed off, counting this as one that got away.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:35 am
  • That was so Greg Norman-esque.

Spieth's choke on 10, 11, and 12 will go down as one of the worst ever, but it sure did help my fantasy standings. Thanks, Jordan, for that.

Real happy for Willett though. To think, he almost didn't play.
    Hawker
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:36 pm
    DTexHawk wrote:

Why's that?

I know the community he has grown up in very well.

Could he turn out to be an ass, sure. But in my opinion, knowing of how and where he has grown up I think he will always be a solid individual.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:37 pm
  • Subzero717 wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:

Why's that?

He is from Texas.

Wrong. Plenty of big ego a*hole in Texas. Spieth likely won't be one of them. ;)
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:43 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:

Why's that?

I know the community he has grown up in very well.

Could he turn out to be an ass, sure. But in my opinion, knowing of how and where he has grown up I think he will always be a solid individual.

Like I said, the way Spieth handled the last six holes, post match and jacket ceremony tells me everything I need to know about his integrity. Even when cameras were in his face walking off of 18 he was polite and said please when declining pics and interviews.

Spoiled brats like Tiger and Sergio snap at people, storm off and get into their private helicopters waiting in the parking lot.

I'm sure Spieth kicked a few cats when he got home. But in public? He's been nothing but a model player.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:44 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:I still can't believe I saw what I saw. After he hit his first shot into the water at 12, he was visibly flustered. His body language and speech pattern instantly changed. I think most of us who have played at any kind of halfway serious level have had those moments where we are having negative reactions to tension, we get stuck in our heads, don't know what is going on and get that feeling that we just don't know if we're capable of putting a good swing on a ball. I legitimately thought I would never see that from Jordan Spieth. He completely panicked. Bad swings, bad shots, sure, but panicked? Jordan couldn't control his nerves. I'm disappointed. Not that it isn't unprecedented. It happened to Arnie a few times. Phil, of course. I don't know about Watson. But in their primes, this didn't happen to Jack, and didn't happen to Tiger.

Is it possible that all of these guys, while unbelievably talented, aren't true winners the way that Player, Watson, Snead, Hogan, Nicklaus, Woods and even Trevino were? How many majors over the past few years have the majority of the players folded like tents? More often than not, I think most of these guys do. Even Jason Day has failed to flourish down the stretch more than a couple of times.

If Tiger can somehow find a way to get to his B game, I think he beats these guys a good portion of the time. This Masters tournament screamed Woods victory to me. I dunno, maybe a 67 from Willett is something Tiger couldn't have overcome. However, with the rest of the field failing to do anything at all for two days, those are the tournaments that Tiger finds a way to grind out. I know he was sitting there watching, pissed off, counting this as one that got away.

Great post Tical.The Tiger parts I was thinking along the same lines.DTEX you may be right about the ego thing but fame,money and power changes a lot of things.I do agree he was class at the end though(in public).The guys today may not be the champions of the past but they are good.I guess we will see some of you on the next major thread.GO HAWKS!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:08 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:Rory is a great example.If Jordan is so mentally tough as Largent puts it how do you blow the Masters like he did?The kid is a great putter but he is very jumpy before he shoots like he's fighting mental demons.I question as he gets older and his ego gets bigger where his caddie and swing coach cannot get through to him anymore what will he be then?There is the burnout factor ect.He is an older 22 year old and I wonder if his body is the same(older beyond years)this would bring on injuries which we have seen happen that a golfer isn't the same anymore.A lot of this is just speculation by me but these things have happened to many rising young golfers that you never hear about anymore.The mental factor is so fragile in this sport.

Spieth was most definitely feeling the pressure over the weekend, doing things he never does like back off of shots and putts taking more time. He was even put on the clock Saturday for taking too long.

Even the most mentally tough golfers of all time like Nicklaus and Woods had meltdowns, hell Nicklaus won 19 majors, but came in 2nd 17 times. 17 times!

So yeah, I have no doubt Spieth, even at age 22 will bounce back. He's mature well beyond his years. His demeanor AFTER the quad bogey and after told me everything I needed to know. Calm, polite, cool and collected.............none of the mentally weak red flags you see with athletes who crap the bed.
    Somehow I missed this and need to reply.Those 2 golfers are legends with 15 + majors and I know they never had a meltdown at the Masters on a Sunday.Jack finishing 2nd that many times just shows you how good he really was and he wasn't playing a lot of golf like todays players.I get you like JS but he has a long ways to go before he even gets mentioned with those 2.I agree he is polite but I don't think he was calm and collected after that hole as he would have tied it up at least since he had 5 holes after that birdie on 13 just saying.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:41 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:Somehow I missed this and need to reply.Those 2 golfers are legends with 15 + majors and I know they never had a meltdown at the Masters on a Sunday.Jack finishing 2nd that many times just shows you how good he really was and he wasn't playing a lot of golf like todays players.I get you like JS but he has a long ways to go before he even gets mentioned with those 2.I agree he is polite but I don't think he was calm and collected after that hole as he would have tied it up at least since he had 5 holes after that birdie on 13 just saying.

I just don't understand why you don't like Spieth? Kid is nothing but class and will be a multiple time Masters champ very very soon. In 2014 he entered Sunday tied for the lead and wound up losing by 3 strokes after coming unglued. The following year he won in record fashion.

It was a brutal loss for him, but he'll be fine. Golf is a humbling sport.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:47 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:If Tiger can somehow find a way to get to his B game, I think he beats these guys a good portion of the time. This Masters tournament screamed Woods victory to me. I dunno, maybe a 67 from Willett is something Tiger couldn't have overcome. However, with the rest of the field failing to do anything at all for two days, those are the tournaments that Tiger finds a way to grind out. I know he was sitting there watching, pissed off, counting this as one that got away.

Tiger's B game won't beat Day, Spieth, Rory and the young guys coming up. The game of golf has changed considerably from when Tiger was absolutely dominant. I would love Tiger to return to form.. I just don't see it happening anytime soon if at all. I really think he was on HGH back in the day and his body is just breaking down now.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Next

It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information