Little Big News Regarding Husky Hoops

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Michael Porter Sr has accepted the job to become an assistant coach for the Husky Hoops team. This seems like the final step to land his son, Michael Porter Jr, who is a top 5 player in his 2017 class. We already have a commitment from his younger brother Jontay Porter for 2018. We got his dad, his little brother, this all but points towards him coming here. We were already the favorite to land him, now it almost seems like a done deal. Well done Romar. We already have Fultz coming in this next year, who is currently the #3 player in his class on scout, and projected to be a top 5 pick in next years NBA draft.

[youtube]t2pbrHR3LCM[/youtube]

getnasty

Reaction score
Talent has never been a problem, there the L.A. Rams of college basketball.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I don't think very highly of Romar as a coach, but you have to admit that he can recruit his ass off. How often do top 5 players go to non-powerhouse schools? Not many. If he can land Porter Jr a year after landing Fultz then that is amazing. It is usually a given that these type of players end up at UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
This is big time. Porter Sr. is a great coach so this is a plus from just the coaching perspective. But add in the possibility of landing his sons? Absolutely incredible.

Good job Romar. He's about to turn Washington into a recruiting destination

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":l97r1ehx said:
Michael Porter Sr has accepted the job to become an assistant coach for the Husky Hoops team. This seems like the final step to land his son, Michael Porter Jr, who is a top 5 player in his 2017 class. We already have a commitment from his younger brother Jontay Porter for 2018. We got his dad, his little brother, this all but points towards him coming here. We were already the favorite to land him, now it almost seems like a done deal. Well done Romar. We already have Fultz coming in this next year, who is currently the #3 player in his class on scout, and projected to be a top 5 pick in next years NBA draft.

[youtube]t2pbrHR3LCM[/youtube]
I saw enough to see who he grew up watching vids of..He has #23 moves down pretty good.I don't see him staying long but a great pickup though

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
So you have to hire that kid's dad to recruit the kid? Okay then .... let's just not be giving any more shit to Gonzaga for their supposedly shady organization.

Tical21

Reaction score
Do the kids end up at Beach or Garfield?

Wasn't Porter's last coaching job at the school that ended up recruiting his daughters?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
A couple more 1 and done's who will do nothing but leave a hole on the roster after they move on to the nba. In my opinion if Uw wants to matter they need to find good players will stay in the program for 3 or 4 years. Not players who will be gone before you get to know them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1r1cartv said:
A couple more 1 and done's who will do nothing but leave a hole on the roster after they move on to the nba. In my opinion if Uw wants to matter they need to find good players will stay in the program for 3 or 4 years. Not players who will be gone before you get to know them.

Kentucky says hi

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1wa661vy said:
JSeahawks":1wa661vy said:

Kentucky says hi

You're really comparing Washington to Kentucky? Kentucky lands 4 or 5 5*'s every single year. For the 2016 class they have 4 of the top 15 players in the country, and their 5th 5 star commit is the 28th ranked player in the country. They've signed 15 five star players in the last 3 classes.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
No. I'm comparing landing one and done's. You said it doesn't work, when clearly it does. The strategy can easily be, build a top notch team with highest ranked players, build around those credentials...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3e9wmfsc said:
No. I'm comparing landing one and done's. You said it doesn't work, when clearly it does. The strategy can easily be, build a top notch team with highest ranked players, build around those credentials...

It works if you already have a solid base around the one and done. Or if you land 4 or 5 one and dones in the same cycle. Uw has neither.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Here is my 2 cents on the whole thing.

For one, lets start by saying no one should complain about Romar landing Michael Porter Jr. Only a fool would complain about the Huskies landing a top 3 player. When is the last time Husky Football has done that? There is a decent chance he is the #1 ranked player in his class by next year. He is that good. This isn't Tony Wroten or Spencer Hawes, this is more like Jabari Parker, Kevin Durant or Andrew Wiggins.

I understand the criticism about the one-and-done, but it's easier said than done. Put yourself in Romar's shoes, if you know you can get a one-and-done player like Fultz or Porter Jr, you are going to go after them. As nice as the really good 4-year kids are, everyone wants the impact freshman. There is a reason why every coach would jump at the chance at getting one of these kids. While we aren't Kentucky who can land 4-5 of these kids in one year, Romar can work on building 4-year players around the one-and-dones. Throw last year out the window, we were too young. Next year Fultz will be surrounded by some experience, and two years from now, assuming we land Porter Jr, he will be surrounded by even more experineced players (by then Thybulle, Dickerson, Timmins, etc. will all be upper-classmen).

And to answer your question Tical, he plays at a catholic school now, so there is a good chance he will do the same when his family moves to Seattle. Maybe Eastside Catholic? If he did join Garfield, there is a good chance they'd be the #1 team in the nation with Dajeon Davis and Nowell who are already highly recruited D1 players. I'm sure he will join Seattle Rotary which could bring the title back to Seattle.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2p0w8q4p said:
Uncle Si":2p0w8q4p said:

It works if you already have a solid base around the one and done. Or if you land 4 or 5 one and dones in the same cycle. Uw has neither.

How do you get a solid base? Recruiting, which is easier when the team is better. One and dones will probably make the team better. One and done's also tend to follow each other. You get 1 or 2 and a couple others may follow.

You're setting up the situation to mirror what makes sense to your argument. Not really objective. If UW want to cash in on some highly touted players why would they not? Those players will surely attract better players (of any caliber) and make their product on the court better in the short term. Short term success can lead to long term payoffs.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Well of course they shouldn't turn the 5 stars away. I'm just saying if the program is going to get where they want it to be they need to find the core/glue guys to compliment the one and dones.

Tical21

Reaction score
JSeahawks":8e0aka1c said:
I do agree with this. They actually have these guys on the roster now. Thybulle and Dickerson are going to be 4-year solid starters. Green is a big wild card as he was really streaky this year, but could really score in high school. David Crisp hopefully turns into the microwave combo guard off the bench. If Porter gets here, all four will be juniors, and they've got another big coming in after sitting out last year. If they somehow get a second year out of Fultz, which I know won't happen, they'd be the favorite to win the Pac-12 in 2017.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":xv0wf4kk said:
Well of course they shouldn't turn the 5 stars away. I'm just saying if the program is going to get where they want it to be they need to find the core/glue guys to compliment the one and dones.

I suppose for me the best way to get those core guys is to win games. The 1 and dones will help achieve that. Build some stature, use it for recruiting.

I do understand what you're saying. The 1 and done's can't make a contribution on the court when they are gone. But I do think they can contribute to the future by what they achieve while they are here.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":23dvtyt1 said:
So you have to hire that kid's dad to recruit the kid? Okay then .... let's just not be giving any more shit to Gonzaga for their supposedly shady organization.
If that's what you think then you clearly misinformed. Calling Romar shady for this hire is beyond ridiculous as well. Try doing some actual research first.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Congrats to Marquese Chriss and DeJounte Murray, both first round draft picks. Not sure how Murray fits in with SA, but at least he gets to play for a great team and coach.

Sabonis really landed in a great spot with OKC.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Also, Brandon Roy is the new head coach of Nathan Hale HS.

Latest posts