Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copa America

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Copa America
Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:34 pm
  • U.S. does not have any creativity at all. I mean, I know Argentina would win, but 68 minutes in and we havnt even created a shot.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:36 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:U.S. does not have any creativity at all. I mean, I know Argentina would win, but 68 minutes in and we havnt even created a shot.

We chose to play bunker and long ball with a defensive mid who cannot run and pass....and a striker who cannot beat anyone for pace.

The setup was a disaster.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:42 pm
  • Pardon my ignorance please.

Is the USA out of it with a loss here?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:44 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Pardon my ignorance please.

Yes.

Game ended after 3 minutes.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:48 pm
  • Smurf wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Pardon my ignorance please.

Yes.

Game ended after 3 minutes.

Thanks, I really know very little about soccer and how these tournaments go.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Copa America
Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:54 pm
  • With as little as I know, and as a casual observer, it would seem that the USA team is out classed in this game.
    I'm not seeing anything that makes me think they are even in the same league.

Is it coaching?
    Talent ?
    Players with injuries?
    What's the issue, just an off game or what ?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:25 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:With as little as I know, and as a casual observer, it would seem that the USA team is out classed in this game.

Is it coaching?
    Talent ?
    Players with injuries?

Well Argentina is the number 1 team in the world and usa is ranked 31st. So even at full strength, yes they out class us. On top of that we were missing 3 of our normal starters due to yellow card suspensions.

On top of that it seems like the coach made some major errors in strategy and personnel. He should know that against Argentina you need to score goals, but he went with the "safe" boring and uninspiring veterans rather than some creative younger players who might have created chances.

Even with a full deck though it would have been a Miracle on Ice level upset if we would have beat Argentina.

They do still have one game left. They'll play the 3rd place match against the loser of Chile and Colombia. If they finish 3rd (which is doubtful) I think it would be a pretty good accomplishment.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:35 am
  • After watching that trainwreck of a match last night Jordan Morris should never be left off a USMNT roster in favor of Chris Wondolowski again. In fact, Wondo should never be picked for a roster spot over anyone ever again. His national team days need to be over. Same with Kyle Beckerman.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:37 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:With as little as I know, and as a casual observer, it would seem that the USA team is out classed in this game.

Is it coaching?
    Talent ?
    Players with injuries?

It is all of it.

First, Argentina is probably the best team in the world. Easily in the top 3. They also have the best player in the world (easily in the top 2). They are stacked with players who are starters on the best pro clubs in Europe. This was always going to be a near impossible match. Unlike our matches with Germany and the Netherlands in the past, Argentina is a far more attack-laden team and just ran right through it. The other clubs tend to sit back, defend a bit more. Argentina presses high and attacks with pace, with all of their players. Bad mix...

The US is not. And unfortunately last night they got the best of some of Argentina's best players, including Messi's wonderful assist and incredible goal.

My only issue was falling back once again on veterans. This game meant little to the US. They should have started Pulisic and Nagbe.

Morris' omission doesn't trouble me as much as he was used for the Olympics and has been struggling and he's nowhere near Bobby Wood's level right now. There are a handful of US strikers (Bunbery?) who could have gone in front of both Morris and Wondo. My issue is actually playing him in a match you needed to press.

This roster was a mix of old and young. Ideally Klinsmann uses youth in the 3rd place game and we can start to shake out what this roster will look like going into qualifying. There are 4-5 players at the 18s and 23s that are ready for full time top team opportunities, and in crucial positions.

If anyone wants an update on what U12 teams from Villareal, Mexico City, Buenos Aires and London are doing against the US top U12 teams (including one with 3 of my players on it) I am happy to tell you... and its not looking much better...

We have a long way to in developing the type of player this nation needs to compete. Pulisic is on the cusp. More of him is needed.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:04 am
  • Si pretty much hit on all my gripes.

If you're grooming this squad for the World Cup/Qualifiers, why continue to drag along old ass vets like Wondo and Beckerman who have no business even being on the pitch at the same time trying to compete against the class of Argentina.

This just showed that Jurgen has half his interest in progressing the program, and the other half in saving his job by going with safe veterans.........as opposed to allowing the future of US soccer to get VITAL minutes in a huge tourney like this, like Morris, Pulisic and Nagbe.

Would the youth of our program made a difference in this match? No, but allowing those players to gain some much needed minutes and confidence in playing? Most definitely yes.

Lastly, this might have been the worst match of Bradley's career, he was awful, really awful. Slow, terrible touches, and some of the worst passing and turnovers I've seen from him in a LONG LONG time, maybe ever.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:12 am
  • Messi is the best
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:16 am
  • A different perspective, and one I am fully on board with

The USMNT and their fans needed this wake-up call, the argument goes, not necessarily because the team was bad (they were not good), but because it’s hard to truly appreciate the greatness we aspire to without that greatness having its way with us. This is what a world No. 1-ranked team looks like, and for all the progress U.S. Soccer has made in recent years and decades, for all the pride justifiably taken from evolving into a competent soccer nation, the Argentines looked like they were playing an entirely different sport out there.

You saw it in the little things. The Argentinian first touches were immaculate: a booming ball would sail a couple dozen yards, touch an Albiceleste boot, and thud dead to the ground, as if by magic or magnets. American first touches rebounded into space, or right to pressuring defenders. That’s what a massive talent disparity looks like, one team executing the most basic of soccer skills just that much better than the other.

And then there is the extraordinary (if you've never watched soccer before, please understand that this shot is truly remarkable... and yet so simple for the best player in the world.)

Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:25 am
  • Uncle Si wrote: This is what a world No. 1-ranked team looks like, and for all the progress U.S. Soccer has made in recent years and decades, for all the pride justifiably taken from evolving into a competent soccer nation, the Argentines looked like they were playing an entirely different sport out there.

You're right Si, but IMO we should never aspire to be an Argentina, or Spain, or any South American style of play nation. Those are not realistic goals for a country like the US.

Our aspirations, and I think the power brokers inside the program agree with me, which is why they hired Klinsmann to begin with is to model and grow our program after the German style of play...............big, physical, disciplined, efficient, athletic, workrate, etc.

This is an attainable goal with the size and athleticism of American soccer players. Trying to model ourselves after a country like Argentina is a fruitless effort. We'll never have the style, imagination, technical ability, passing and vision of a team like Argentina, or other South American nations.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:27 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    This just showed that Jurgen has half his interest in progressing the program, and the other half in saving his job by going with safe veterans.........as opposed to allowing the future of US soccer to get VITAL minutes in a huge tourney like this, like Morris, Pulisic and Nagbe.

Would the youth of our program made a difference in this match? No, but allowing those players to gain some much needed minutes and confidence in playing? Most definitely yes.

Im hoping Klinsmann can now officially break from the old guard. i don't disagree with his approach to the tournament, just this match. Dempsey has been invaluable and deserved to be out there. But once Wood and Jones were left out he had a choice to change his perceived value for the Argentina match. I think he got it wrong, and I'm sure he realizes it too.

But.. all that will be determined in how he approaches the 3rd place game
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:34 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote: This is what a world No. 1-ranked team looks like, and for all the progress U.S. Soccer has made in recent years and decades, for all the pride justifiably taken from evolving into a competent soccer nation, the Argentines looked like they were playing an entirely different sport out there.

You're right Si, but IMO we should never aspire to be an Argentina, or Spain, or any South American style of play nation. Those are not realistic goals for a country like the US.

Our aspirations, and I think the power brokers inside the program agree with me, which is why they hired Klinsmann to begin with is to model and grow our program after the German style of play...............big, physical, disciplined, efficient, athletic, workrate, etc.

This is an attainable goal with the size and athleticism of American soccer players. Trying to model ourselves after a country like Argentina is a fruitless effort. We'll never have the style, imagination, technical ability, passing and vision of a team like Argentina, or other South American nations.

This is really incorrect on a dozen levels. Germany is absolutely loaded with massively skilled players (Ozil, Draxler, Shurrle, Goetze, Sane, Muller) Klinsmann himself was one of the greatest technical strikers of his generation. A dutch freestyle player created the Spanish style amidst all the discipline attributed to European style. Germany and others model that, with free roaming CBs supporting possession and marauding outside backs joining the attack, a holding mid or two sitting deep to ensure they can win it back. Again, very similar to Argentina last night, very similar to most club teams across Europe (United, Leicester, Chelsea, Liverpool, Juventus, Dortmund, Bayern, City, etc.)

This is not about aspiring to be like a certain nation... but to develop the overall basic skillset that all good players have. Germany's deft first touch, movement off the ball and overall tactical acumen is no different than Argentina (who play nothing like Spain by the way). All of the attributes you attribute to the Germans were on full display last night for the Argentinians as well. Their work rate and tactical discipline were fantastic for a national team coming into a tournament right after the end of club seasons.

US players rely on physicality at the expense of technical development. The powers that be agree with me as I am running Reyna's handbook at each of our trainings for the youth DAs. The mindset is more Dutch then German, but the idea is to create players who can attack with pace and surround them with players willing to run into spaces to support. Much of what we saw from Argentina last night and what we see on a daily basis from Germany, Italy, France.

Seems simple.. its clearly not, because this nation is so far from developing that player. Pulisic seems on the right path. Dempsey probably the closest think to it at his peak. Reyna as well.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:43 am
  • Where did I say German players weren't skilled?

I was pointing out realistic program goals, and unrealistic program goals. The US has already flashed the kind of potential I'm talking about at times over the past 10 years.........playing hard, rugged, athletic, direct, efficient fast paced with a never quit workrate.

That's a realistic goal of developing our program.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:46 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Where did I say German players weren't skilled?

I was pointing out realistic program goals, and unrealistic program goals. The US has already flashed the kind of potential I'm talking about at times over the past 10 years.........playing hard, rugged, athletic, direct, efficient fast paced with a never quit workrate.

What potential? Playing hard, rugged, etc. isn't winning any major tournaments. You attribute all those skillsets to the German model while ignoring that they win because they produce fantastic, world class skilled players.

Look at the Germans who won the World Cup, or this Argentinian team for a model. Both work hard (as do the Italians, English) without the ball and when they win are fantastically gifted in key areas.

Where is the US version of Ozil or Goetze? Delli Alli? Or even from last night: Marcus Rojo? Di Maria? Dybala? Lamela? Benega? Fast paced, hard working, deftly skilled attacking players. I really think you are undervaluing the Argentinian roster. These were high pressing, hard working midfielders on display last night. shutting down every channel, challenging every player who touched the ball. Might need to redefine "South American" style to be honest. All those players listed above are playing for high energy, high pressing European squads who attack the ball and attack when they have it.

The US has yet to produce that. The development model for the youth programs is specifically trying to address that.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:02 am
  • Thanks for the info guys.

So, with the USA still playing for 3rd place, it seems to me that is respectable.
    I get it, for real USA soccer fans it was hard to watch but we still should be proud of them, huh?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:10 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:Thanks for the info guys.

So, with the USA still playing for 3rd place, it seems to me that is respectable.
    I get it, for real USA soccer fans it was hard to watch but we still should be proud of them, huh?

I'm not proud. Not by a longshot. All last night did was expose the same fragility and weaknesses we have known existed in US soccer for 3 decades.

We love to espouse a certain mentality that encourages mediocrity at a high level. Honestly, "working hard" is the same thing as getting a participation medal.

I watched Croatia last night... how is that tiny nation able to create and develop so many players with the work ethic Sgt. Lrgt thinks embodies our national identity with the technical acumen and skill actually needed to compete at a high level?

So no, not proud, just not chuffed the US didn't perform. Slightly optimistic it brings the changes that are necessary
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:36 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Where did I say German players weren't skilled?

What potential? Playing hard, rugged, etc. isn't winning any major tournaments. You attribute all those skillsets to the German model while ignoring that they win because they produce fantastic, world class skilled players.

I guess you have higher expectations out of what our program can achieve. When I say potential, I mean this program has had big wins in the World Cup, CONCACAF and The Confederation Cup.

Now the issue is sustainability and continuity........which IMO is the reason Jurgen still has his job. Because he certainly hasn't delivered on the things you're talking about, development and style of play. But to fire him means starting over once again.

This country will never have a perennial top 5 program, it just won't. So my expectations are lower than maybe yours. But I do think we can get to the point where we're consistently making it into knockout rounds of all the major tournaments, and once every 6-10 years getting into quarters and semi's. That's a realistic goal..........to always be in the conversation, and not just be the "underdog Americans" making a surprising run.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:01 pm
  • Two things:

What big wins? Beating Spain once? Mexico? Portugal? 1/2 a German or Dutch team? Most top 15 nations get a couple big wins a year... we can't expect to excel beyond that?

And why can't it be a top 5 team. Croatia can be but the US can't? Portugal? Greece? That's ridiculous. Please, explain to me with all your insight into what is happening in American soccer why it can't be a top 5 team in 10 years? You are keyed in. We have been sustainable, and consistent... and mediocre. Using the USMNT to proliferate football players with balls at their feet isn't going to make us more competitive. We make win some games, but we will always be chasing. Always on the back foot. Always mediocre.

The realistic goal is to develop the right type of players, something the previous two regimes have failed to do. Pulisic is an example of the new type of player. Bobby Wood as well. And there are more of his type coming.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:35 pm
  • Si, does the US have a National Youth Academy, or do they depend on club academies to develop youth players?
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:05 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Si, does the US have a National Youth Academy, or do they depend on club academies to develop youth players?

Both..

They rely heavily on Developmental Academies that operate in a regional setting. This is designed, authorized and licensed by the USSF. Teams like the Sounders now also have DAs competing with the regional ones that existed before (Washington has 4, Oregon 3 for example).

The DAs play in USSF sanctioned events against each other where they are often scouted by USSF officials. The USMNT will also host events (typically ID camps) that DAs will handpick players for.

Unfortunately, the size of the US has been more a detriment than a strength in this regard as many players do not get the coaching or playing opportunities due to distance and sheer populous.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:55 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Thanks for the info guys.

IMO, this team, getting to a semi-final in this tournament is at least somewhat of an accomplishment. They exceeded any realistic expectations. They won their group and they beat the #13 ranked team in the world when they beat Ecuador in the quarter-final.

These are the 4 teams that made the semi-finals and their world ranking,

Argentina #1

Colombia #3

Chile #5

USA #31

I was certainly not proud watching them get completely dominated by a far superior Argentina team, but at the same time, like I said, they exceeded expectations by even getting to the semi-finals. IMO, that is a pretty good accomplishment and yes, I think it's certainly reasonable to be proud of them.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:37 pm
  • I'm 100% with Si on this.

Development isn't on par with other nations.

And at this point in his career JK has yet to make the tactical decisions that would correctly mask those short comings. Beckerman, Wondo, and Zusi did nothing but expose the problem in our system last night.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:05 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I watched Croatia last night... how is that tiny nation able to create and develop so many players with the work ethic Sgt. Lrgt thinks embodies our national identity with the technical acumen and skill actually needed to compete at a high level?

Croatia, as with the rest of the Balkan States, lives and breathes soccer. Seriously, I've seen beer-gutted 65-year-old men from the Balkans ball circles around Americans in their prime with a soccer ball. Soccer to them vs. the U.S. is like the U.S. with baseball compared to Afghanistan.

Sure, American soccer isn't nearly as developed as many of the other countries around the world. And maybe it should be with such a large population. But they did better than I thought they'd do in this.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:27 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Two things:

What big wins? Beating Spain once? Mexico? Portugal? 1/2 a German or Dutch team? Most top 15 nations get a couple big wins a year... we can't expect to excel beyond that?

And why can't it be a top 5 team. Croatia can be but the US can't? Portugal? Greece? That's ridiculous. Please, explain to me with all your insight into what is happening in American soccer why it can't be a top 5 team in 10 years? You are keyed in. We have been sustainable, and consistent... and mediocre. Using the USMNT to proliferate football players with balls at their feet isn't going to make us more competitive. We make win some games, but we will always be chasing. Always on the back foot. Always mediocre.

The realistic goal is to develop the right type of players, something the previous two regimes have failed to do. Pulisic is an example of the new type of player. Bobby Wood as well. And there are more of his type coming.

Croatia?

They're currently ranked 27 in the world, and other than a nice run in the '98 World Cup, haven't made it past the group stages since, and didn't even qualify for the 2010 WC. So not sure what the hell you're even talking about Croatia being a perennial top 5 program.

And sorry, until the US has a sustainable and unified academy youth program that's developing ALL our young players correctly and uniformly...........then nothing will change. We'll continue to pump out great athletes who just so happen to play soccer, which makes for a raw, under developed inconsistent type of soccer player. Some of the tools, but not all the tools. That takes a nation, not piece meal development trying to marry select programs, premiere programs, high school, college, and 3-4 separately owned and operated "pro" leagues.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:48 pm
  • Just beat Spain and win their bracket in Euros... With young talent makingbig moves to European clubs.

So yeah. Croatia.

If you want (another) summary of the debelopment program I'm happy to give one. No country is all encompassing or uniform by the way.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:21 pm
  • Si, I agree with you. You mentioned "basic skillset" in your earlier posts and I believe your take on it is spot on. The biggest issue is that US is struggling with the basic fundamentals of the game. Never mind the strategy and tactics. They struggle in touch, passing, marking, etc. Across the board compared to players from the other countries they lack the basic and technical discipline. That's the one thing that seems to never change.

U.S. covets strong, physical, speed, and athletic players but if none of them can master the basic fundamental skills then they are not going to have any impact. They may get lucky once in a blue moon but it's not consistent. That's the big problem. It's very simple to spot how outclassed the United States are in the basic tenets of the game. It's like a NFL team having a world class speedster who has hands of stone. Until he learns how to catch the football, he's not going to have a positive impact on the team.

Another big issue is that Americans philosophy is to make it exciting so it draws attendance. It's all about people watching it and driving people to games. Not about winning matches or being the best. They take shortcuts in this process. They want to "basketballize" the game. Lot's of speed, hard tackling, etc. That's not what they should be focusing on. They need to start working the smaller, basic things and when they have mastered that, then can start looking for guys that fit the other profiles. They go for the "fluff" rather than the real stuff and that mindset needs to change.

That's why countries like Jamaica Costa Rica, Guatamela can beat the US on any given day. Those teams rarely compete with top teams like the Dutch, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Spain, Germany, Croatia, etc.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:26 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Two things:

Croatia?

They're currently ranked 27 in the world, and other than a nice run in the '98 World Cup, haven't made it past the group stages since, and didn't even qualify for the 2010 WC. So not sure what the hell you're even talking about Croatia being a perennial top 5 program.

And sorry, until the US has a sustainable and unified academy youth program that's developing ALL our young players correctly and uniformly...........then nothing will change. We'll continue to pump out great athletes who just so happen to play soccer, which makes for a raw, under developed inconsistent type of soccer player. Some of the tools, but not all the tools. That takes a nation, not piece meal development trying to marry select programs, premiere programs, high school, college, and 3-4 separately owned and operated "pro" leagues.

Croatia would run circles around USA even though they are ranked 27th. They play a better fundamental game than the Americans do. Technically they are much more sound than the U.S. That's a big difference but at least the United States can beat Canada....
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Copa America
Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:04 pm
  • Again my ignorance.

What prevents a NFL type league from forming?

Why hasn't there been a merger with the different leagues?

Is it coming any time soon, or will stay like it is for years to come?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:59 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:Again my ignorance.

There are both intricate and wide spread professional leagues in almost every country in the world. The internationals (like the us) also participate in regional tournaments and qualifiers for the World Cup (every 4 years)

There's been talk of a European super league for the biggest clubs over there. But for the most part the leagues are extremely profitable and the sport is the most watched in the world.... By far.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Copa America
Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:44 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Again my ignorance.

There are both intricate and wide spread professional leagues in almost every country in the world. The internationals (like the us) also participate in regional tournaments and qualifiers for the World Cup (every 4 years)

There's been talk of a European super league for the biggest clubs over there. But for the most part the leagues are extremely profitable and the sport is the most watched in the world.... By far.

Well I kinda get it.
    But what is preventing a National Soccer league in the US?

It seems to me the the "soccer folks" could see what the merger did for "real" football and they would want to capitalize.

Not only for financial reasons but what it did for the sport and athletes as well.

It's the multiple leagues here that I "don't get"

As an ignorant casual observer, I see premier players, playing in all the leagues here.
    Why aren't they all playing in THE ONE PREMIER LEAGUE?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:40 pm
  • There is a professional soccer league in the US

Saunders even have a team in it
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:56 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:There is a professional soccer league in the US

I think he's asking why all the top players aren't all playing in the same league. The simple answer to that is, of course, money.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:07 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:There is a professional soccer league in the US

Did you seriously think I didn't know there is professional soccer in the US?

I'm questioning why we have the multiple leagues that we have, and why not a merger into One major/top league ?

It seems to me that it would benefit the sport here in the US on many levels.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:41 pm
  • Think of it like baseball, pmed. MLS is the equivalent of MLB, and NASL and USL are the minor leagues. They're important in that they give more players more options to develop.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:53 pm

Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:54 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:There is a professional soccer league in the US

Did you seriously think I didn't know there is professional soccer in the US?

I'm questioning why we have the multiple leagues that we have, and why not a merger into One major/top league ?

It seems to me that it would benefit the sport here in the US on many levels.

Yes, I seriously did not think you knew, because the question you asked suggested it.

There are 3-4 "leagues" in the US. But the others are small, like Triple A baseball, but without major league funding. Those clubs and their players would suffer playing in the highest league.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:30 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:After defeat Messi says he's retiring from the national team.

http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/li ... a-america/

My guess is it was just a moment of weakness after a bitter loss, but we'll see.

There's a whole lot of drama, uncertainty, and general crap going on with the Argentinian FA right now. I'm sure that's playing a part in this, and Messi isn't the only player who's hinted at retiring from the national team.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Previous

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:48 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information