Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copa America

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Copa America
Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:06 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:I did read that if they get first place in their pod that they'd play their quarterfinal game in Seattle, that would be cool. I'm guessing that it would take a miracle for Costa Rica to beat Colombia though.

Colombia is awfully damn good.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:08 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:You can make a list of all the wonderful things he does as well, off the field, and see whats longer.

They warmed him up for gods sake. Literally motioned him to get up.. and for 15 minutes he did so. Clearly there was miscommunication. You don't warm someone up if he's not on the active roster. It was a dumb move. The players don't see the team sheets. Saying in the press "Suarez won't play" is far different than leaving him off the available subs list. Suarez threw a tantrum because he believed he could play. Absolutely. And in being informed to start preparing for a match only to find out he wasn't actually active?

Jesus.. seems simple to me. Inactive players don't vest and start their dynamics if they can't play at all. I'm not going to argue who knew what. But i've been in plenty of tournaments as a player. You are told ahead of time if you're available or not. Clearly Suarez was not. And if he was, and they made him go through dynamics, then that's equally dumb.

1. I've seen plenty of inactive players running up and down on the sidelines testing out their injuries even though they know they're not playing. So that doesn't mean he thought he was playing.

2. There are roster sheets handed out prior to the match, AND hung in the locker rooms so players can see who's active and who's inactive.

3. Even if for some reason he didn't know, he still acted like an ass and made this about him. I'd be pissed if Dempsey or one of our players did that showing up the coach and making it about them. It's being a poor teammate.

I know we're used to coddling our superstars, especially in soccer, they can pretty much do whatever they want. But it's wrong, knowing he was inactive or not.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:14 am
  • if you are Suarez and play for Barca you dont run the sideline at the Copa America to test out your injury. Don't be daft. Think of the consequences. You certainly don't start doing it in the 75th minute of a match and without trainer supervision.

Rosters are not always handed or posted in the locker rooms. Again, in the Premier league they are distributed and announced through team's media. In a tournament, often you are told during warm ups.

I don't see his reaction as a big deal. he gestured at his manager and smacked the dugout. he made it about him because he wants to play and try and help his team win? Which is really about the team. that team would be so lucky. His manager was poor in communicating directly with his player.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:25 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    I don't see his reaction as a big deal. he gestured at his manager and smacked the dugout. he made it about him because he wants to play and try and help his team win? Which is really about the team. that team would be so lucky. His manager was poor in communicating directly with his player.

Tabarez communicated plenty, both directly and to the press. Pull up any press conference of his this week and you'll hear him say over and over "Suarez isn't playing."

For the 3rd time, this is about Suarez throwing a hissy fit because he thought he could play, not because he didn't know.........thus me thinking he's a punk.

btw, I'm a Liverpool fan, so I have love for Suarez's play, dude's a brilliant soccer player. But he has a 10 cent head and attitude.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:42 am
  • Suarez is a helluva strange dude. We're talking about a grown man that expresses his frustrations by BITING other grown men.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:43 am
  • Yeah, i just don't see it that way. He can say whatever he wants to the press. Do you believe managers and coaches?

He obviously was not clear enough with the player. Suarez clearly believed he was being warmed up to play. How did he get there if his coach told him personally he was not active? If Suarez thought he could play, and was warmed up to do so, only to find out he was not active, then he should rightly be upset. You and I can disagree on the reaction. Eitehr way, you tell players personally what their role will be heading into matches like this, and often why they are or are not included in the starting 11, 7 subs or cast to the 2nd row with a suit and tie on. In just watching all this play out, the manager made the mistake of assuming Suarez knew his roster plans, or simply failed to do the proper thing before the match.

Unless you're suggesting Suarez knew the whole time then waited until the most inopportune moment to voice his displeasure. I don't believe that happened.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:43 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:if you are Suarez and play for Barca you dont run the sideline at the Copa America to test out your injury. Don't be daft. Think of the consequences. You certainly don't start doing it in the 75th minute of a match and without trainer supervision.

Rosters are not always handed or posted in the locker rooms. Again, in the Premier league they are distributed and announced through team's media. In a tournament, often you are told during warm ups.

And threw his shoe onto the pitch. :)

But you're right. He went through the entire pre-game warm-up routine with the starters, he was taping his ankles up on the bench and began warming up with the other subs. If you're the coach and you've been told by your association not to risk your best player coming back from a hamstring injury then it's absolutely your responsibility to make 100% sure the player knows he's not playing and to not even let him participate in the training stuff. Let him test his hamstring during an off-day training session.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:53 am
  • I didnt see the shoe!

I saw him throw his vest though.

I mean Suarez is a petulant child. We all know that. But it's part of what makes him a brilliant player. I'd suggest that any top player who was treated the same way would have some sort of reaction. Maybe not tossing a shoe, but something...

The pre-game and during game warmups is what I was confused by. Players don't risk further injury going through the same dynamics the rest of the team are going through to prepare for match play. Something was miscommunicated.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:23 pm
  • Messi with a hat trick in 26 minutes.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:07 pm
  • John Brooks was amazing tonight. On to the quarterfinals. If Costa Rica can somehow manage to beat Colombia, then the US wins the group and will play in Seattle.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:42 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:John Brooks was amazing tonight. On to the quarterfinals. If Costa Rica can somehow manage to beat Colombia, then the US wins the group and will play in Seattle.

That's looking like a very strong possibility with 30 minutes left.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:12 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:John Brooks was amazing tonight. On to the quarterfinals. If Costa Rica can somehow manage to beat Colombia, then the US wins the group and will play in Seattle.

That's looking like a very strong possibility with 30 minutes left.

Costa Rica hold on for the win. Now we have to wait to see what happens tomorrow to find out who the US will face. It's a bit of a shame that DeAndre Yedlin won't get to play in his home town, though it is his own fault.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:48 pm
  • Wish I could go to the quarter final but tickets are too expensive to swing last minute.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:38 pm
  • It will be USA v Ecuador on Thursday. USA beat Ecuador 1-0 in a friendly less than a month ago so these teams are familiar with each other.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:54 pm
  • Brazil gets knocked out. They got absolutely screwed. Dude from Peru punched the ball into the goal, no hand ball called.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:02 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Brazil gets knocked out. They got absolutely screwed. Dude from Peru punched the ball into the goal, no hand ball called.

Yes, it was a handball, but I can't be too chuffed about it considering Brazil should've lost the opener to Ecuador but for a referee error in their favor.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:18 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:It will be USA v Ecuador on Thursday. USA beat Ecuador 1-0 in a friendly less than a month ago so these teams are familiar with each other.

Good matchup for the US
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:34 am
  • Damn that Clint Dempsey, there he goes producing again.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:15 am
  • yep... nice tap in from 12... no word on whether the distributor will be awarded both an assist and a goal for making it so easy.

He was rubbish after that and had to be subbed off once Yedlin went mental. I'm sorry. I don't want him off the roster, but I can't wait for the day when this nation can effectively replace him. Same with Jones. Same with Bradley.

I guess I look at this way, and Dempsey is a chief example: is scoring a goal "production" or having a good game? I remember him scoring one minute into the game with ghana. he was non existent the rest of the match. Good game?

I will leave you to ponder...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:47 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:yep... nice tap in from 12... no word on whether the distributor will be awarded both an assist and a goal for making it so easy.

He was rubbish after that and had to be subbed off once Yedlin went mental. I'm sorry. I don't want him off the roster, but I can't wait for the day when this nation can effectively replace him. Same with Jones. Same with Bradley.

I guess I look at this way, and Dempsey is a chief example: is scoring a goal "production" or having a good game? I remember him scoring one minute into the game with ghana. he was non existent the rest of the match. Good game?

Production is production, I don't care how it happens, or for what length of time it happens for.

The job of a striker and/or forward is to produce, and Dempsey produces, period. Far more than anyone else on this roster, and it's not even close.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:00 am
  • Production is Production? Woof...If you think the job of a striker is just to score goals then i don't know what to tell you. You're missing a really intriguing sport out there though.

Yeah, he produces more than anyone on the roster... which is sad. He also can't help the team in possession when needed, can't defend, doesn't lift his head up to spring attacks and generally kills most forward movement.

But yeah, he produces. One day we might actually see someone who plays that position at its intended (Ozil, Mkhtaryian, Di Maria, De Bruyne, David Silva, Marco Reus, Isco) do so for the US...

Until then we will just idly accept Clint Dempsey and his production.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:17 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Until then we will just idly accept Clint Dempsey and his production.

Bingo.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:22 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:yep... nice tap in from 12... no word on whether the distributor will be awarded both an assist and a goal for making it so easy.

Production is production, I don't care how it happens, or for what length of time it happens for.

The job of a striker and/or forward is to produce, and Dempsey produces, period. Far more than anyone else on this roster, and it's not even close.

If scoring is production...then it doesn't make sense why Jozy Altidore was left off the team. Jozy is a better scorer than Dempsey plus is more of a speed threat than Clint. Clint is great but doesn't impact games as he once did - in MLS or on USMNT.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:42 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:If scoring is production...then it doesn't make sense why Jozy Altidore was left off the team. Jozy is a better scorer than Dempsey plus is more of a speed threat than Clint. Clint is great but doesn't impact games as he once did - in MLS or on USMNT.

Altidore isn't with the squad because he's recovering from his annual Summertime injury.

On another subject, why can't we use all natural grass venues to host International soccer matches? I really don't like the sod laid over the top of turf that seems to make up the majority of playing surfaces in this tournament. I sincerely hope that our bid for the 2026 World Cup specifies only natural grass facilities. It wouldn't be that hard.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:47 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:yep... nice tap in from 12... no word on whether the distributor will be awarded both an assist and a goal for making it so easy.

If scoring is production...then it doesn't make sense why Jozy Altidore was left off the team. Jozy is a better scorer than Dempsey plus is more of a speed threat than Clint. Clint is great but doesn't impact games as he once did - in MLS or on USMNT.

Altidore is hurt, that's why he's off the roster. Maybe he should show up anyway, sit on the bench and throw tantrums to help his team to victory.

btw, Dempsey has more goals and WAY more assists than Altidore, so your statement isn't even true.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:17 pm
  • A player has a good game when their influence is felt regardless of where they appear on the score sheet.

A player can have a good game, and be productive with the ball without appearing on the scoresheet in any fashion.

Si, and I agree on this. Which is weird.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:48 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Altidore is hurt, that's why he's off the roster. Maybe he should show up anyway, sit on the bench and throw tantrums to help his team to victory.

Get a hold of yourself.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:18 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Get a hold of yourself.

LOL.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:00 pm
  • Dempsey!
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:40 pm
  • USA on to the semis, but they'll be minus Bobby Wood, Alejandro Bedoya, and Jermaine Jones.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:41 pm
  • On to the semis, probably vs Argentina. My nephew is an exchange student down there in Argentina right now, gonna have to talk a lot of $h!t.

With wood, jones and badoya out I'm curious if Nagbe might get the start?
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:29 am
  • I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say it... This next game will be the biggest game in USMNT history, if they can beat Argentina and make it to the finals... then i'm done criticizing Jurgen Klinsman and the $h!t show he's been running for the last 4 or 5 years.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:56 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:On to the semis, probably vs Argentina. My nephew is an exchange student down there in Argentina right now, gonna have to talk a lot of $h!t.

With wood, jones and badoya out I'm curious if Nagbe might get the start?

He has to, as well as Pulisic. May be Zusi though. Too bad Morris is not on the squad. I'd hope this does not see Wondo out there. Wood has been a revelation in this tournament with his runs out of the #9.

I will say that I think those two would provide better opportunities for Dempsey. One will control play underneath while the other will open more channels with his pace.

Either way... good win and fun times ahead. A legit game against a legit opponent with your future stars right in the forefront. Seems the more I criticize Dempsey the better he plays (the jerk)... a terrific first goal. Starts the move forward, follows into the attacking channels and gets a great goal. What a #10 should be doing in there. Woods movement off the centerbacks has really helped Dempsey move forward without the ball.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:20 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Either way... good win and fun times ahead. A legit game against a legit opponent with your future stars right in the forefront. Seems the more I criticize Dempsey the better he plays (the jerk)... a terrific first goal. Starts the move forward, follows into the attacking channels and gets a great goal. What a #10 should be doing in there. Woods movement off the centerbacks has really helped Dempsey move forward without the ball.

Yep, there he goes again Si, another goal and assist. What's that make, three goals, two assists with two game winners for the tournament?

Someone needs to tell Clint he's washed up and needs to play more like Di Maria.

Let's just hope there are two more matches I can kick you in the nuts about, although gonna be tough, the US expended a LOT of energy last night trying to close out this match.............and now there's some nagging injuries and red cards to deal with.

Although frankly I'm happy that Jones is sitting out, he's had a terrible tournament.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:39 am
  • You do take it quite personal. I wonder if you have his poster on your bedroom wall or something? Is he wearing a Sounders jersey or USMNT? Maybe Fulham? Shirtless?

He was very good last night, much better last night than in the previous matches. I guess we will see when he squares off against Di Maria. I really do think Wood's movement has helped that (Sounders can take a lesson and deploy Morris similarly). His absence I think will hurt Dempsey's production. (not to mention having to possess more than counter to relieve pressure from what will surely be an Argentinian onslaught at times)

And again, never said he was washed up. I just look forward to the day when he's not the USMNT's best player and hope who fills that role is a far more creative and consistent all around #10. (as I look forward to the bench options not being Beckerman, or the mid options being Bradley and Jones... I'm a progressive.) The entirety of the US youth system right now is based primarily on developing that skillset.

But, credit to him, he played well very last night, and Woods has a lot to do with it. He's what the US has right now, and he's their best player.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:49 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:You do take it quite personal. I wonder if you have his poster on your bedroom wall or something? Is he wearing a Sounders jersey or USMNT? Maybe Fulham? Shirtless?.

If you must know, Clint's wearing a French sailor's uniform, pirate hat and combat boots.

Don't judge.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:55 am
  • ?

You need help
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:00 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:?

You need help

People only need help if they admit they have a problem. Suckers!

So I assume we're going to see Beckerman for Jones? Ugg, not a fan of Beckerman, but I don't see what other options we have, Zusi isn't any better. At least Yedlin will be back to add some much needed speed and energy to what was an old slow lineup last night.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:03 am
  • Why not Pulisic?

House money at this point. The kid has started games for Dortmund, who i'd argue is a better side than Argentina. No one's expecting the US to win. Why not?

If not it will be Beckerman, although it should be Zusi. He's a bit quicker and an all around better player.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:17 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Why not Pulisic?

House money at this point. The kid has started games for Dortmund, who i'd argue is a better side than Argentina. No one's expecting the US to win. Why not?

If not it will be Beckerman, although it should be Zusi. He's a bit quicker and an all around better player.

I'd LOVE to see Pulisic, but Klinsmann's track record shows that he usually goes with the dependable veterans over youth in big matches.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:49 am
  • Speaking of youngsters... Emerson Hyndman was snatched up by Bournemouth. 20 year old American midfielder. Captain of the u-20s and starting CM for the u-23s.

Now in the EPL.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:17 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:He's what the US has right now, and he's their best player.

I'd like to submit the name John Brooks as a counter to this statement.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:29 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:He's what the US has right now, and he's their best player.

Brooks has had a hell of a tournament, but like I told Si, it's about production, especially as a forward.............and no player has produced like Dempsey.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:12 pm
  • Dempsey played terrific in last night's match. Great win for the U.S.. Last time they have been this far was in 1995. Could make history by winning next Tuesday in Houston.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:24 pm
  • Chile embarrasing Mexico.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:27 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Chile embarrasing Mexico.

I was hoping for a good match. Chile v Colombia should be great, though.

And typical Mexican supporters, throwing crap on the field when their team is losing.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:34 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:He's what the US has right now, and he's their best player.

1a/1b?

Certainly Brooks has been fantastic (and has produced plenty in his role).
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Copa America
Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:18 pm
  • I know almost zero about soccer.
    I did hear on the news, that tickets for the USA game in Houston were starting around $700 on the Secondary market.

Not sure if true or not but that seems CRAZY to me.
    It ain't the Seahawks after all :{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:14 pm
  • Seems like klinnsman tried to play the most uninspiring lineup possible with the way he replaced the 3 suspended players.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:48 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Seems like klinnsman tried to play the most uninspiring lineup possible with the way he replaced the 3 suspended players.

Not only did everyone see it coming....but all 3 are having HORRIBLE games. They are all train wrecks. Goal 1 is on Beckerman/Guzan, #2 on Wondo.

Nagbe and Pulisic need to come on ASAP. Nothing else to lose.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information