Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Euro 2016

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Euro 2016
Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:38 am
  • So the other major international soccer tournament of the Summer has started. Is there any chance a team other than Germany or Spain wins this thing?
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10565
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Euro 2016
Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:55 pm
  • At least England is still England.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10565
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Euro 2016
Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:20 am
  • Following several days of violent incidents, Russia and England have been put on notice. If their fans continue to engage in hooligan behavior in or around the stadiums their teams will be disqualified from the competition.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10565
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Euro 2016
Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:47 pm
  • England dominated that game and caved at the end. Still don't understand how Forster isn't starting over Hart. Sterling was out of position and didn't do great.

    Glad Wales won, will be routing for them.

    Glad Northern Ireland lost against Poland, didn't even try to muster up any offense and got what they deserved.

    Suspect the Republic of Ireland won't do much.

    Have a sneaky feeling France will win the tournament with home field advantage every game. Otherwise Germany.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1379
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:57 pm


Re: Euro 2016
Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:42 am
  • England didn't start the fights at Euro. It was the Russians Ultras. They are a well organized group of hooligans who have come for no other reason than to show England that they are the best hooligans. Trouble is that they are picking on people that are there to have a good time, and watch some footy, and support their country, or at least most of them are.

    The funny thing is , after all of this the Russians don't realize that approx 2000 of the worst English hooligans have had their passports taken, and are banned from going to events like this, so they aren't even fighting the right people.

    I
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1599
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


Re: Euro 2016
Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:16 pm
  • The Russians know who they're fighting. Come on. the culture of hooliganidm began with the English in the 70s and 80s. Today's English football fan does not travel well either. The violence has been replaced by sharp and hate filled insults and shouts at the local hosts, the opponents, whomever. The reply from Russians or French or whomever is reminiscent of that culture.

    Anyways, the soccer hasn't been bad. Italy-Belgium the best for me so far. Would much rather see the US in this than the Copa of a choice was given.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:05 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:The Russians know who they're fighting. Come on. the culture of hooliganidm began with the English in the 70s and 80s. Today's English football fan does not travel well either. The violence has been replaced by sharp and hate filled insults and shouts at the local hosts, the opponents, whomever. The reply from Russians or French or whomever is reminiscent of that culture.

    Anyways, the soccer hasn't been bad. Italy-Belgium the best for me so far. Would much rather see the US in this than the Copa of a choice was given.


    What does this have to do with who began hooliganism? Also, it wasn't the English who kicked this off. The Russians were very well organized, and were almost like a military troop, and they were the ones running into crowds of English fans hanging out and having a pint. Look at some of the footage, and read some of the articles in some of the UK publications, and you will see the Ultras stance is we are going to show who the best hooligans are. I never said they don't know they aren't fighting the English, I said they don't know that the most brutal English hooligans cannot travel anymore because of having their passports revoked, and have been banned from attending football matches.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1599
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:17 am
  • I do believe they know Ace. It's not a secret. It's not uncommon knowledge the massive steps the English have taken to curb hooliganism both at home and abroad. They've actually made movies about it. It's probably one of the reasons they are so emboldened in their attacks.

    The English crowds are known still to be invasive, derogatory, mean spirited and horrible to the hosts of nations they visit as well as opposing fans. They incite violence (as seen by the French attacks at the pub online a couple days ago) with their illicit, antagonistic, racist, homophobic and xenophobic chants. I've seen plenty of footage and read plenty of articles. I wont pay much attention to the spoon-fed UK press, however. You can and that's fine.

    The English are far from innocent victims in this. They know it. It's why they have been warned as well.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:45 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I do believe they know Ace. It's not a secret. It's not uncommon knowledge the massive steps the English have taken to curb hooliganism both at home and abroad. They've actually made movies about it. It's probably one of the reasons they are so emboldened in their attacks.

    The English crowds are known still to be invasive, derogatory, mean spirited and horrible to the hosts of nations they visit as well as opposing fans. They incite violence (as seen by the French attacks at the pub online a couple days ago) with their illicit, antagonistic, racist, homophobic and xenophobic chants. I've seen plenty of footage and read plenty of articles. I wont pay much attention to the spoon-fed UK press, however. You can and that's fine.

    The English are far from innocent victims in this. They know it. It's why they have been warned as well.


    What you know, and have seen of English Hooliganism is from the movie Green Street. Tell me why the Russians have been caught wearing mouth guards, and MMA gloves if they weren't there to start stuff.

    I am not condoning the English acts in the past, as I am a fan of Leeds, and they had one of the most violent firms called the Service Crew, but the footage of the street violence shows the Russians storming into a group of English fans standing around having a pint. Sure there are always a few in a crowd who will get stupid, but the evidence of the footage, and of some of the Russian hooligans twitter accounts clearly substantiates what I have said in my posts. Argue all you want, but the evidence is clear.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1599
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:54 am
  • Green Street? Cute. Never actually seen it. There are literally dozens of movies and more documentaries. Your condescension is confusing given you seem to know much but grasp little of what I'm saying.

    I never said the Russians weren't there to start stuff. Not at all. Find where I did. Saying that the tradition of Hooliganism has always been linked to the English, and therefore they are a target. Their antics when they travel are antagonistic. Since you know so much, you shouldn't find it hard to understand. Knowing now that you support Leeds, I'd say you're looking at this without perspective.

    You literally are making a "point" (that the Russians are there to fight... um yeah. No kidding.) no one is disputing. I've seen all the footage as well Ace. When you are loudly chanting grotesque and xenophobic songs in a public place and have a tradition of fighting you are looking for a fight, or better be prepared for one. Simple really.

    Some are innocent. Some are not. It's the culture of football fandom. You can find a video of some nice English just sipping beer and then finding themselves under attack. I can find you videos of English fans taunting Russians and French with slur filled chants.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:02 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Green Street? Cute. Never actually seen it. There are literally dozens of movies and more documentaries. Your condescension is confusing given you seem to know much but grasp little of what I'm saying.

    I never said the Russians weren't there to start stuff. Not at all. Find where I did. Saying that the tradition of Hooliganism has always been linked to the English, and therefore they are a target. Their antics when they travel are antagonistic. Since you know so much, you shouldn't find it hard to understand. Knowing now that you support Leeds, I'd say you're looking at this without perspective.

    You literally are making a "point" (that the Russians are there to fight... um yeah. No kidding.) no one is disputing. I've seen all the footage as well Ace. When you are loudly chanting grotesque and xenophobic songs in a public place and have a tradition of fighting you are looking for a fight, or better be prepared for one. Simple really.

    Some are innocent. Some are not. It's the culture of football fandom. You can find a video of some nice English just sipping beer and then finding themselves under attack. I can find you videos of English fans taunting Russians and French with slur filled chants.


    I may have been mistaken, but it seemed that you had implied from your original post that it was the English who started this. Your point that the English don't travel well, and that they chant and use homophobic, and racist chants seemed to me that it was only the English that do this. EVERY nation does this(and the Russian are some of the worst). There was an incident not too long ago in Philadelphia at a Flyers game where someone threw a banana on the ice because of a black player playing there, so don't make this out to be like only the English football fans do this kind of stuff, because it sure seems to me like you are.

    You came at my post with an intention to try and pick apart what I had said about the Russians starting this mess, and you turned it into an English fan bashing.

    The reply from Russians or French or whomever is reminiscent of that culture. Your quote
    Last edited by Ace_Rimmer on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1599
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 am

Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 am

Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:05 am

Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:12 am
  • Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Green Street? Cute. Never actually seen it. There are literally dozens of movies and more documentaries. Your condescension is confusing given you seem to know much but grasp little of what I'm saying.

    I never said the Russians weren't there to start stuff. Not at all. Find where I did. Saying that the tradition of Hooliganism has always been linked to the English, and therefore they are a target. Their antics when they travel are antagonistic. Since you know so much, you shouldn't find it hard to understand. Knowing now that you support Leeds, I'd say you're looking at this without perspective.

    You literally are making a "point" (that the Russians are there to fight... um yeah. No kidding.) no one is disputing. I've seen all the footage as well Ace. When you are loudly chanting grotesque and xenophobic songs in a public place and have a tradition of fighting you are looking for a fight, or better be prepared for one. Simple really.

    Some are innocent. Some are not. It's the culture of football fandom. You can find a video of some nice English just sipping beer and then finding themselves under attack. I can find you videos of English fans taunting Russians and French with slur filled chants.


    I may have been mistaken, but it seemed that you had implied from your original post that it was the English who started this. Your point that the English don't travel well, and that they chant and use homophobic, and racist chants seemed to me that it was only the English that do this. EVERY nation does this(and the Russian are some of the worst). There was an incident not too long ago in Philadelphia at a Flyers game where someone threw a banana on the ice because of a black player playing there, so don't make this out to be like only the English football fans do this kind of stuff, because it sure seems to me like you are.

    You came at my post with an intention to try and pick apart what I had said about the Russians starting this mess, and you turned it into an English fan bashing.

    The reply from Russians or French or whomever is reminiscent of that culture. Your quote


    I am bashing the English fans for their part. You bashed the Russians. No need for me to elaborate on that. The whole thing is ridiculous. I was just attempting to add some perspective.

    And if you want to assume because I am focused on the English fans that I am blind to the short comings of others then so be it. But we aren't talking about incidences involving Flyer fans, nor Italian soccer fans or the idiots at a 49ers game. They are irrelevant to this incident. This was about the Russians, English and French fighting in the streets of Marseille.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:21 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Green Street? Cute. Never actually seen it. There are literally dozens of movies and more documentaries. Your condescension is confusing given you seem to know much but grasp little of what I'm saying.

    I never said the Russians weren't there to start stuff. Not at all. Find where I did. Saying that the tradition of Hooliganism has always been linked to the English, and therefore they are a target. Their antics when they travel are antagonistic. Since you know so much, you shouldn't find it hard to understand. Knowing now that you support Leeds, I'd say you're looking at this without perspective.

    You literally are making a "point" (that the Russians are there to fight... um yeah. No kidding.) no one is disputing. I've seen all the footage as well Ace. When you are loudly chanting grotesque and xenophobic songs in a public place and have a tradition of fighting you are looking for a fight, or better be prepared for one. Simple really.

    Some are innocent. Some are not. It's the culture of football fandom. You can find a video of some nice English just sipping beer and then finding themselves under attack. I can find you videos of English fans taunting Russians and French with slur filled chants.


    I may have been mistaken, but it seemed that you had implied from your original post that it was the English who started this. Your point that the English don't travel well, and that they chant and use homophobic, and racist chants seemed to me that it was only the English that do this. EVERY nation does this(and the Russian are some of the worst). There was an incident not too long ago in Philadelphia at a Flyers game where someone threw a banana on the ice because of a black player playing there, so don't make this out to be like only the English football fans do this kind of stuff, because it sure seems to me like you are.

    You came at my post with an intention to try and pick apart what I had said about the Russians starting this mess, and you turned it into an English fan bashing.

    The reply from Russians or French or whomever is reminiscent of that culture. Your quote


    I am bashing the English fans for their part. You bashed the Russians. No need for me to elaborate on that. The whole thing is ridiculous. I was just attempting to add some perspective.

    And if you want to assume because I am focused on the English fans that I am blind to the short comings of others then so be it. But we aren't talking about incidences involving Flyer fans, nor Italian soccer fans or the idiots at a 49ers game. They are irrelevant to this incident. This was about the Russians, English and French fighting in the streets of Marseille.


    Exactly, but you sure seemed to put an emphasis on the English in your original post, and that was not right. I do stand by the fact that the Russians came with an intent to be hooligans, and the Brits didn't ,but you seemed to dismiss this premise because it was reported by UK publications. Yes the Brits may have been scrapping, but that was in response to getting charged and rushed at by the Russians, and I don't blame them for defending themselves.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1599
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 am
  • You sure do alot of assuming and inferring. Why don't you go ahead and write my posts for me.


    I blame them for antagonizing violence with absurd, illicit, derogatory chants. As I said, you went right after the Russians. No need for me to say "yeah, the Russians." But I also thought you made some incorrect inferrals, such as Russians didnt even know the worst Hooligans weren't there. Of course they did.. or just didn't care. Regardless, you want the English to be blameless. Go on then. Not many on the continent would share your view of the innocent English, nor would recent history, or even current news.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:41 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:You sure do alot of assuming and inferring. Why don't you go ahead and write my posts for me.


    I blame them for antagonizing violence with absurd, illicit, derogatory chants. As I said, you went right after the Russians. No need for me to say "yeah, the Russians." But I also thought you made some incorrect inferrals, such as Russians didnt even know the worst Hooligans weren't there. Of course they did.. or just didn't care. Regardless, you want the English to be blameless. Go on then. Not many on the continent would share your view of the innocent English, nor would recent history, or even current news.


    I had made a point about the England vs Russia match violence being started by the Russians, as the Original Poster had mentioned that the two nations could be disqualified.

    It is well documented that this had happened and the Russians started it, yet you tried to imply that the Russians did this in response to the English, and you say I like to assume?

    I honestly don't care what the rest of the continent would think about the English. I am proud of my English heritage and will defend them all day long. God save the Queen!
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1599
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:50 am
  • Image

    My favorite part:

    yet you tried to imply that the Russians did this in response to the English, and you say I like to assume?

    "I am implying you tried to imply, therefore i am assuming you assume."

    Take that!
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:57 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Image

    My favorite part:

    yet you tried to imply that the Russians did this in response to the English, and you say I like to assume?

    "I am implying you tried to imply, therefore i am assuming you assume."

    Take that!


    I am still right Maude
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1599
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:24 am
  • Wanna see how far cristiano can lead portugal this year.
    RussB
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2589
    Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:42 pm
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:54 am
  • RussB wrote:Wanna see how far cristiano can lead portugal this year.


    Unfortunately, I don't think too far. The draw with Iceland was unfortunate. They will need to play well against two better teams in Hungary and Austria just to get a look at that #1 seed. If not, they are drawn into the B group 2nd place, which could be any of Wales/England/Russia/Slovakia. None of those matches are easy. Then from there its France more than likely...

    They need to finish atop that table.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:49 am

Re: Euro 2016
Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:58 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Indy Football (@IndyFootball)
    6/16/16, 9:21 AM
    36 fans arrested as England supporters clash with French police in Lille. @ianherbs reports

    Just keeps going

    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/15/england-and-russia-fans-brawl-in-lille-at-euro-2016

    What do you think Ace? how do you penalize these two nations at this point? England wasn't even playing yesterday.


    It's a separate incident Maude. I never once said English fans were angels. I said they didn't start the clash between them and the Russians. Maybe read my original post?

    Are you going to mention the violence that happened between Ukranian and German fans leading up to their match? I doubt it, because you seem like you have an issue with the English. You can post all of the news links you want and try to feel intellectually superior because it seems like you have a desperate need to be right. I will defend the UK in this, and you will not change my view of it whether YOU feel that I should.

    And in regards to penalizing these two nations, nothing will happen because France was involved.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1599
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


Re: Euro 2016
Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:15 am
  • We've been discussing the violence between England and Russia and it sparked off again.

    Your original post was of a prior incident. I wanted to get your thoughts on this one. Different incident, different circumstances, but a continuation of fighting between essentially the same groups.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:28 am
  • Not fragile, but resolute. You have a superiority complex, and the fact that you had to "get my thoughts" on another incident proves my last post about your penchant to "try" to always be right in your own mind. I get the feeling you don't like me, and that's ok by me, because I do not care much for you either.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1599
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


Re: Euro 2016
Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:46 am
  • Ace,

    You're a fan of England. Euros are a big tournament. This is a big incident. I didn't even offer an opinion outside of "it keeps going." I wanted your thoughts. 100s of arrests and the tournament is a week old.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:54 am
  • Rooting for Belgium because they have the best beer and the best waffles.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 11397
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:55 pm


Re: Euro 2016
Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:24 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Indy Football (@IndyFootball)
    6/16/16, 9:21 AM
    36 fans arrested as England supporters clash with French police in Lille. @ianherbs reports

    Just keeps going

    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/15/england-and-russia-fans-brawl-in-lille-at-euro-2016

    What do you think Ace? how do you penalize these two nations at this point? England wasn't even playing yesterday.


    It was English and Welsh fans, furthermore, if you look at a lot of the local footage going around it appears they're causing very little trouble (and in the instances where they are there's clear provocation), they're just being loud and obnoxious and the riot police resort to charging at them. From multiple media accounts (from sources who are usually quick to bash England supporters) it appears police have totally overreacted time and again in this tournament.

    Two English supporters are in critical condition following clashes with Russians, and i don't know if you saw footage from inside the stadium but Russian fans actually infiltrated the English family area in the stadium and charged them, with women and children jumping barriers and falling not insignificant heights to evade trouble.

    News outlets who have tried to make stories out of the trouble England supporters are causing have been quickly quashed by locals who have played down the trouble and you'll hear multiple stories of our fans protecting young families when the Russians went on a tear up.

    English fans aren't angels, and a few of them escalate trouble, but they've been a victim of their reputation in this tournament so far and it's only Russia that have officially been given a suspended sentence. The images of french riot police charging at fans who were just singing the other night was ridiculous.

    Mountains out of molehills mostly.

    Anyway, as for the football. Very open tournament this one, nobody's impressed me that much and I guess you'd have to say the Italians have performed best so far but even their ever reliable defence looked shaky at times. There for the taking.

    Great for Northern Ireland to get a win yesterday, small chance of qualifying now (as one of the best 3rd place teams).
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2897
    Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 7:33 am
    Location: United Kingdom


Re: Euro 2016
Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:02 am
  • I don't want to suggest I'm not critical of the Russians here. Their actions are criminal. I'm aghast that the World Cup will be there. I just didn't think the English were free of some criticism. As you guys said, not innocent. Surely not organized militants though. I recognize the stark difference. Do you think some of the reaction to the English fans is steeped in their history?

    Hopefully the first round of arrests and deportations have rid the area of the troublemakers and the tournament can go on without incident.

    Tournament is, as you said, open to anyone. I like England's resolve. Think Roy needs to get his lineup right to start from here out though. It's a talented team that could be set out with more balance and flair. But credit to him for his adjustments.

    Nice win for N. Ireland. Disappointed in Ukraine as they have some nice players. But, along with Russia, another fan base knowone will miss when they depart.

    France is still my pick. Just being the hosts. I don't think the Italians can hold up over the tournament digging in and countering. It will get them through, but I think a stronger German, French or English team would see them off.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:32 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I don't want to suggest I'm not critical of the Russians here. Their actions are criminal. I'm aghast that the World Cup will be there. I just didn't think the English were free of some criticism. As you guys said, not innocent. Surely not organized militants though. I recognize the stark difference. Do you think some of the reaction to the English fans is steeped in their history?

    Hopefully the first round of arrests and deportations have rid the area of the troublemakers and the tournament can go on without incident.

    Tournament is, as you said, open to anyone. I like England's resolve. Think Roy needs to get his lineup right to start from here out though. It's a talented team that could be set out with more balance and flair. But credit to him for his adjustments.

    Nice win for N. Ireland. Disappointed in Ukraine as they have some nice players. But, along with Russia, another fan base knowone will miss when they depart.

    France is still my pick. Just being the hosts. I don't think the Italians can hold up over the tournament digging in and countering. It will get them through, but I think a stronger German, French or English team would see them off.


    France have looked pretty average in the final third and have very little firepower up front. Giroud's a donkey, they miss Benzema. They'll struggle to outscore the first team they come across who have a bit about them upfront.

    Germany have lost their mojo, and Spain have a similar story to France (be interesting to see how they get on tonight). Italy are far too inconsistent and Belgium did themselves no favours when they didn't sack Wilmots after the World Cup; the man is utterly useless and has the tactical nous of a pube.

    Portugal were my outsiders at the start of the tournament, came into it with great form. I'm not going to write them off yet but what a vile team they have. Pepe and Ronaldo have to be the two most punchable footballers in the world right now.

    If England can play with the confidence they did in the first half against Russia we can go far, hopefully we'll kick on from the win against Wales, a little bit of momentum will take a team deep into this tournament.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2897
    Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 7:33 am
    Location: United Kingdom


Re: Euro 2016
Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:35 pm
  • Christiano Ronaldo continues his amazing form. After hitting the post on a penalty shot, he now has 17 shots in the first two games and no goals.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10565
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Euro 2016
Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:45 pm
  • So who set up this bracket? Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and England are all on the same side.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10565
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:36 am
  • Iceland is just killing it. A nation of 300k people and the games continue...
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1090
    Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:28 am


Re: Euro 2016
Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Euro 2016
Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:05 pm
  • Iceland pulls off the upset over England.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4221
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: Euro 2016
Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:21 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Iceland pulls off the upset over England.


    A country of 300,000 people, and they can produce a team like that, and in Canada we can't even qualify for the World Cup. Makes me shake my head at how inept we are at footie.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1599
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


Re: Euro 2016
Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:56 pm
  • Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Iceland pulls off the upset over England.


    A country of 300,000 people, and they can produce a team like that, and in Canada we can't even qualify for the World Cup. Makes me shake my head at how inept we are at footie.


    On top of that, the Iceland coach is a part-time dentist :lol:
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4221
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am


Re: Euro 2016
Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:28 am
  • Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Iceland pulls off the upset over England.


    A country of 300,000 people, and they can produce a team like that, and in Canada we can't even qualify for the World Cup. Makes me shake my head at how inept we are at footie.


    Canada is an interesting set up. We get some very good players from there down here with our DAs. And I know the youth set up is very organized, consistent in its messages and funneling talent to the top. Is it just a lack of players?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:23 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Iceland pulls off the upset over England.


    A country of 300,000 people, and they can produce a team like that, and in Canada we can't even qualify for the World Cup. Makes me shake my head at how inept we are at footie.


    Canada is an interesting set up. We get some very good players from there down here with our DAs. And I know the youth set up is very organized, consistent in its messages and funneling talent to the top. Is it just a lack of players?


    We have a lot of talent up here in BC for sure. my son was in the Whitecaps pipeline and plays in our Premier League, and is just starting to get offers for college ball. He is holding out for down south somewhere, and I would love it if UW gave him a scholarship as it would make it accessible for us to see his home games.

    We have a tonne of players in Canada but the philosophy has only made a shift (in BC at least) in the past few years with the implementation of the Premier League where we have paid qualified coaches teaching our kids.

    Hockey plays a big role here, and it seems like that is where we pour most of our money and attention into which is a shame because there are some right good players in Canada that could make the jump to the pro leagues better if they had the right structure s in place to climb the ladder.

    With the Premier League in BC, it is a start and we will only start to see the results here in the next few years as the first crop of graduating players will be coming of age(my son included).
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1599
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:27 am
  • So, after another England flameout and the ouster of Hodgson, I've heard rumors this morning that the FA may look at Klinsmann to replace him.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10565
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:01 am
  • Hearing Southgate (you'll have to google him) or Wenger (right...)

    I have a feeling that it's neither, and Klinmsann is not on their list either I'd imagine.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:03 am
  • Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Iceland pulls off the upset over England.


    A country of 300,000 people, and they can produce a team like that, and in Canada we can't even qualify for the World Cup. Makes me shake my head at how inept we are at footie.


    Canada is an interesting set up. We get some very good players from there down here with our DAs. And I know the youth set up is very organized, consistent in its messages and funneling talent to the top. Is it just a lack of players?


    We have a lot of talent up here in BC for sure. my son was in the Whitecaps pipeline and plays in our Premier League, and is just starting to get offers for college ball. He is holding out for down south somewhere, and I would love it if UW gave him a scholarship as it would make it accessible for us to see his home games.

    We have a tonne of players in Canada but the philosophy has only made a shift (in BC at least) in the past few years with the implementation of the Premier League where we have paid qualified coaches teaching our kids.

    Hockey plays a big role here, and it seems like that is where we pour most of our money and attention into which is a shame because there are some right good players in Canada that could make the jump to the pro leagues better if they had the right structure s in place to climb the ladder.

    With the Premier League in BC, it is a start and we will only start to see the results here in the next few years as the first crop of graduating players will be coming of age(my son included).


    We have entertained a handful of Whitecap's players down here in MN. Some have done trainings with our club, or gone on trial with the two DAs here. Only come across one kid from Toronto. We also bring down this club every Summer to play and train. They are from Alberta. Not a bad club. It all looks a little thin when you put it together. I'm surprised to hear the league system is just taking effect there. I would have assumed it existed long ago, but maybe not. I know of the provincial's. Seemed like (atleast in Alberta) that everything was organized at the National level and fed directly into it. Opposite of down here. Everything is organized by local entities and they feed into an organization that the USSF will look at. Then you have ODP (Olympic Development) that is run by the USSF but does not get the best quality players (as they tend to stay away, knowing full well they will be found at the DA features anyways). It's all a bit convoluted.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:27 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Hearing Southgate (you'll have to google him) or Wenger (right...)

    I have a feeling that it's neither, and Klinmsann is not on their list either I'd imagine.


    Southgate will fit in just nice, the type of yes man the FA will be looking for. :pukeface:
    Blueboy
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 138
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:10 am
    Location: London, UK


Re: Euro 2016
Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:01 am
  • The BCSPL has been going since 2012 I believe. We have a BC Provincial Team program, and the teams that my son has played for usually go down and compete against teams in the US like Crossfire Academy, and the Sounders, and Timbers Academy teams, and we usually beat up on them pretty well. Toronto, and BC are definitely the stronger provinces, although Alberta, and Quebec have some good programs too.

    Is the club you bring down Calgary Foothills? They are a good club from what I have seen.

    If we put half as much focus on soccer in Canada as we do with hockey, I think we could easily make a push to get to the World CUp years down the road, but it will take a major shift in our national philosophy to do so, and that change will not see results for probably a decade.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1599
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


Re: Euro 2016
Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:39 am
  • Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Iceland pulls off the upset over England.


    A country of 300,000 people, and they can produce a team like that, and in Canada we can't even qualify for the World Cup. Makes me shake my head at how inept we are at footie.


    Being a Finn, that sounds awfully familiar.. hockey gets the best talent as it's the best chance to make it big at pros. Still, soccer has the most registered players and we have never made an appearance at the worlds or euros... sigh.
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1090
    Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:28 am


Re: Euro 2016
Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:27 am
  • TwilightError wrote:
    Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Iceland pulls off the upset over England.


    A country of 300,000 people, and they can produce a team like that, and in Canada we can't even qualify for the World Cup. Makes me shake my head at how inept we are at footie.


    Being a Finn, that sounds awfully familiar.. hockey gets the best talent as it's the best chance to make it big at pros. Still, soccer has the most registered players and we have never made an appearance at the worlds or euros... sigh.


    Honestly not much different than the US.

    Statistically, more kids play youth soccer before grade 8 than any of the other sports combined. Think about that. But the country struggles to move forward in terms of the sport.

    It may be due in part to other sports ("imagine if Lebron or Richard Sherman played soccer!" gets a ton of run) but it really is about the development program and how the players are brought along.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:52 am
  • Blueboy wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Hearing Southgate (you'll have to google him) or Wenger (right...)

    I have a feeling that it's neither, and Klinmsann is not on their list either I'd imagine.


    Southgate will fit in just nice, the type of yes man the FA will be looking for. :pukeface:



    saw this nugget today:

    Rory Smith (@RorySmithTimes)

    6/30/16, 9:47 AM

    Hoddle, Scolari and Klinsmann all early contenders to replace Hodgson.

    I'd be happy to see Klinsmann move on from the USMNT in this type of manner. More of a clean break and may continue to foster belief he was always the right choice. My concern is he is let go, and people believe that the last 6 years have been wasted and have to start over. That is certainly not the case.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 17349
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Euro 2016
Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:28 pm

Re: Euro 2016
Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:55 pm
  • Looks like Iceland's dream run is over. Down to France 4-0 at the half. Hopefully the semifinal of France v Germany is better than the Italy v Germany match.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10565
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Next


It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests