Euro 2016

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So the other major international soccer tournament of the Summer has started. Is there any chance a team other than Germany or Spain wins this thing?

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Following several days of violent incidents, Russia and England have been put on notice. If their fans continue to engage in hooligan behavior in or around the stadiums their teams will be disqualified from the competition.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
England dominated that game and caved at the end. Still don't understand how Forster isn't starting over Hart. Sterling was out of position and didn't do great.

Glad Wales won, will be routing for them.

Glad Northern Ireland lost against Poland, didn't even try to muster up any offense and got what they deserved.

Suspect the Republic of Ireland won't do much.

Have a sneaky feeling France will win the tournament with home field advantage every game. Otherwise Germany.

Boycie

Reaction score
England didn't start the fights at Euro. It was the Russians Ultras. They are a well organized group of hooligans who have come for no other reason than to show England that they are the best hooligans. Trouble is that they are picking on people that are there to have a good time, and watch some footy, and support their country, or at least most of them are.

The funny thing is , after all of this the Russians don't realize that approx 2000 of the worst English hooligans have had their passports taken, and are banned from going to events like this, so they aren't even fighting the right people.

I

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The Russians know who they're fighting. Come on. the culture of hooliganidm began with the English in the 70s and 80s. Today's English football fan does not travel well either. The violence has been replaced by sharp and hate filled insults and shouts at the local hosts, the opponents, whomever. The reply from Russians or French or whomever is reminiscent of that culture.

Anyways, the soccer hasn't been bad. Italy-Belgium the best for me so far. Would much rather see the US in this than the Copa of a choice was given.

Boycie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":9fb28hqn said:
The Russians know who they're fighting. Come on. the culture of hooliganidm began with the English in the 70s and 80s. Today's English football fan does not travel well either. The violence has been replaced by sharp and hate filled insults and shouts at the local hosts, the opponents, whomever. The reply from Russians or French or whomever is reminiscent of that culture.

Anyways, the soccer hasn't been bad. Italy-Belgium the best for me so far. Would much rather see the US in this than the Copa of a choice was given.

What does this have to do with who began hooliganism? Also, it wasn't the English who kicked this off. The Russians were very well organized, and were almost like a military troop, and they were the ones running into crowds of English fans hanging out and having a pint. Look at some of the footage, and read some of the articles in some of the UK publications, and you will see the Ultras stance is we are going to show who the best hooligans are. I never said they don't know they aren't fighting the English, I said they don't know that the most brutal English hooligans cannot travel anymore because of having their passports revoked, and have been banned from attending football matches.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I do believe they know Ace. It's not a secret. It's not uncommon knowledge the massive steps the English have taken to curb hooliganism both at home and abroad. They've actually made movies about it. It's probably one of the reasons they are so emboldened in their attacks.

The English crowds are known still to be invasive, derogatory, mean spirited and horrible to the hosts of nations they visit as well as opposing fans. They incite violence (as seen by the French attacks at the pub online a couple days ago) with their illicit, antagonistic, racist, homophobic and xenophobic chants. I've seen plenty of footage and read plenty of articles. I wont pay much attention to the spoon-fed UK press, however. You can and that's fine.

The English are far from innocent victims in this. They know it. It's why they have been warned as well.

Boycie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2gmaqi73 said:
I do believe they know Ace. It's not a secret. It's not uncommon knowledge the massive steps the English have taken to curb hooliganism both at home and abroad. They've actually made movies about it. It's probably one of the reasons they are so emboldened in their attacks.

The English crowds are known still to be invasive, derogatory, mean spirited and horrible to the hosts of nations they visit as well as opposing fans. They incite violence (as seen by the French attacks at the pub online a couple days ago) with their illicit, antagonistic, racist, homophobic and xenophobic chants. I've seen plenty of footage and read plenty of articles. I wont pay much attention to the spoon-fed UK press, however. You can and that's fine.

The English are far from innocent victims in this. They know it. It's why they have been warned as well.

What you know, and have seen of English Hooliganism is from the movie Green Street. Tell me why the Russians have been caught wearing mouth guards, and MMA gloves if they weren't there to start stuff.

I am not condoning the English acts in the past, as I am a fan of Leeds, and they had one of the most violent firms called the Service Crew, but the footage of the street violence shows the Russians storming into a group of English fans standing around having a pint. Sure there are always a few in a crowd who will get stupid, but the evidence of the footage, and of some of the Russian hooligans twitter accounts clearly substantiates what I have said in my posts. Argue all you want, but the evidence is clear.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Green Street? Cute. Never actually seen it. There are literally dozens of movies and more documentaries. Your condescension is confusing given you seem to know much but grasp little of what I'm saying.

I never said the Russians weren't there to start stuff. Not at all. Find where I did. Saying that the tradition of Hooliganism has always been linked to the English, and therefore they are a target. Their antics when they travel are antagonistic. Since you know so much, you shouldn't find it hard to understand. Knowing now that you support Leeds, I'd say you're looking at this without perspective.

You literally are making a "point" (that the Russians are there to fight... um yeah. No kidding.) no one is disputing. I've seen all the footage as well Ace. When you are loudly chanting grotesque and xenophobic songs in a public place and have a tradition of fighting you are looking for a fight, or better be prepared for one. Simple really.

Some are innocent. Some are not. It's the culture of football fandom. You can find a video of some nice English just sipping beer and then finding themselves under attack. I can find you videos of English fans taunting Russians and French with slur filled chants.

Boycie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1hweupm2 said:
Green Street? Cute. Never actually seen it. There are literally dozens of movies and more documentaries. Your condescension is confusing given you seem to know much but grasp little of what I'm saying.

I never said the Russians weren't there to start stuff. Not at all. Find where I did. Saying that the tradition of Hooliganism has always been linked to the English, and therefore they are a target. Their antics when they travel are antagonistic. Since you know so much, you shouldn't find it hard to understand. Knowing now that you support Leeds, I'd say you're looking at this without perspective.

You literally are making a "point" (that the Russians are there to fight... um yeah. No kidding.) no one is disputing. I've seen all the footage as well Ace. When you are loudly chanting grotesque and xenophobic songs in a public place and have a tradition of fighting you are looking for a fight, or better be prepared for one. Simple really.

Some are innocent. Some are not. It's the culture of football fandom. You can find a video of some nice English just sipping beer and then finding themselves under attack. I can find you videos of English fans taunting Russians and French with slur filled chants.

I may have been mistaken, but it seemed that you had implied from your original post that it was the English who started this. Your point that the English don't travel well, and that they chant and use homophobic, and racist chants seemed to me that it was only the English that do this. EVERY nation does this(and the Russian are some of the worst). There was an incident not too long ago in Philadelphia at a Flyers game where someone threw a banana on the ice because of a black player playing there, so don't make this out to be like only the English football fans do this kind of stuff, because it sure seems to me like you are.

You came at my post with an intention to try and pick apart what I had said about the Russians starting this mess, and you turned it into an English fan bashing.

The reply from Russians or French or whomever is reminiscent of that culture. Your quote

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":3w3nwdch said:
Uncle Si":3w3nwdch said:

I may have been mistaken, but it seemed that you had implied from your original post that it was the English who started this. Your point that the English don't travel well, and that they chant and use homophobic, and racist chants seemed to me that it was only the English that do this. EVERY nation does this(and the Russian are some of the worst). There was an incident not too long ago in Philadelphia at a Flyers game where someone threw a banana on the ice because of a black player playing there, so don't make this out to be like only the English football fans do this kind of stuff, because it sure seems to me like you are.

You came at my post with an intention to try and pick apart what I had said about the Russians starting this mess, and you turned it into an English fan bashing.

The reply from Russians or French or whomever is reminiscent of that culture. Your quote

I am bashing the English fans for their part. You bashed the Russians. No need for me to elaborate on that. The whole thing is ridiculous. I was just attempting to add some perspective.

And if you want to assume because I am focused on the English fans that I am blind to the short comings of others then so be it. But we aren't talking about incidences involving Flyer fans, nor Italian soccer fans or the idiots at a 49ers game. They are irrelevant to this incident. This was about the Russians, English and French fighting in the streets of Marseille.

Boycie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":wz6wrzlb said:
Ace_Rimmer":wz6wrzlb said:
Uncle Si":wz6wrzlb said:

I am bashing the English fans for their part. You bashed the Russians. No need for me to elaborate on that. The whole thing is ridiculous. I was just attempting to add some perspective.

And if you want to assume because I am focused on the English fans that I am blind to the short comings of others then so be it. But we aren't talking about incidences involving Flyer fans, nor Italian soccer fans or the idiots at a 49ers game. They are irrelevant to this incident. This was about the Russians, English and French fighting in the streets of Marseille.

Exactly, but you sure seemed to put an emphasis on the English in your original post, and that was not right. I do stand by the fact that the Russians came with an intent to be hooligans, and the Brits didn't ,but you seemed to dismiss this premise because it was reported by UK publications. Yes the Brits may have been scrapping, but that was in response to getting charged and rushed at by the Russians, and I don't blame them for defending themselves.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You sure do alot of assuming and inferring. Why don't you go ahead and write my posts for me.

I blame them for antagonizing violence with absurd, illicit, derogatory chants. As I said, you went right after the Russians. No need for me to say "yeah, the Russians." But I also thought you made some incorrect inferrals, such as Russians didnt even know the worst Hooligans weren't there. Of course they did.. or just didn't care. Regardless, you want the English to be blameless. Go on then. Not many on the continent would share your view of the innocent English, nor would recent history, or even current news.

Boycie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":k4ldw9hu said:
You sure do alot of assuming and inferring. Why don't you go ahead and write my posts for me.

I blame them for antagonizing violence with absurd, illicit, derogatory chants. As I said, you went right after the Russians. No need for me to say "yeah, the Russians." But I also thought you made some incorrect inferrals, such as Russians didnt even know the worst Hooligans weren't there. Of course they did.. or just didn't care. Regardless, you want the English to be blameless. Go on then. Not many on the continent would share your view of the innocent English, nor would recent history, or even current news.

I had made a point about the England vs Russia match violence being started by the Russians, as the Original Poster had mentioned that the two nations could be disqualified.

It is well documented that this had happened and the Russians started it, yet you tried to imply that the Russians did this in response to the English, and you say I like to assume?

I honestly don't care what the rest of the continent would think about the English. I am proud of my English heritage and will defend them all day long. God save the Queen!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
0eff01cfed34fa80d5c5c2a5270202ab

My favorite part:

yet you tried to imply that the Russians did this in response to the English, and you say I like to assume?

"I am implying you tried to imply, therefore i am assuming you assume."

Take that!

Boycie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3je21j1n said:
0eff01cfed34fa80d5c5c2a5270202ab

My favorite part:

yet you tried to imply that the Russians did this in response to the English, and you say I like to assume?

"I am implying you tried to imply, therefore i am assuming you assume."

Take that!

I am still right Maude