Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Trailblazers fire 3/4ths of broadcast team

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Trailblazers fire 3/4ths of broadcast team
Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:03 pm
  • The only one who will remain is radio play by play guy Brian wheeler

Mike Rice, Mike Barrett and Antonio Harvey all let go with one year left on their contracts. I like Rice, he's entertaining, but I still think these are good moves.

Going forward Wheels will do the radio call on his own and they will hire a new tv team.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Interesting. Any reasons given behind the moves?
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Just looking for new blood I think.

http://katu.com/news/local/report-blaze ... -mike-rice

Rice is getting old and makes a ton of mistakes. I like him, but it's probably time for him to go.

Barrett is good at his job but is kind of boring, in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised to see him catch on with TNT or espn. He has a good voice and is knowledgable.

Antonio Harvey I never liked on the radio.

I'm glad they're keeping Wheels.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I heard this may have something to do with the end of the team's contract with Comcast Spirts Net. Wonder if they're going to Root?
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Yeah Rice was always a bit of a kook, I liked Barrett and Harvey was kinda meh. I vote for getting Bill Walton :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Read today that the contract with Comcast Sports Northwest ends after next season and that the team officials are unhappy that an agreement to provide streaming was never reached.

Also, the latest rumor is that Kevin Callabro will replace Barrett (according to 1080 The Fan).
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I like Wheels when he was up in Seattle doing sportsradio before the Blazers gig.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Kevin Calabro has been hired. So there's another stick in the eye for sonic fans. Now I'm hoping and praying for bill Walton as his partner.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Huge upgrade by getting Colabro. Colabro is one of the best play-by-play guys, hence him doing the national broadcast for the NBA Finals with Hubie Brown. The past guys were nothing special. The play-by-play was okay, but forgettable. The older guy who was the color commentator seemed out-dated.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Sigh...

Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Wheels and KC?

Looks like I will be a Blazers fan next season.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:Kevin Calabro has been hired. So there's another stick in the eye for sonic fans. Now I'm hoping and praying for bill Walton as his partner.

As a Sonics fan, I don't really see this as a "stick in the eye" because we don't have a team and likely will not for the forseeable future. A stick in the eye would have been him announcing for that Oklahoma team.
    Kennedyin92
    NET Starter

• Of all the local sports broadcasters, I always liked Colabro the most. More than Dave Neihaus and more than Steve Raible. He is that good.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Kennedyin92 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Kevin Calabro has been hired. So there's another stick in the eye for sonic fans. Now I'm hoping and praying for bill Walton as his partner.

As a Sonics fan, I don't really see this as a "stick in the eye" because we don't have a team and likely will not for the forseeable future. A stick in the eye would have been him announcing for that Oklahoma team.

I do. The Blazers were a bigger rival than either the Mariners or Seahawks have. You know KC swallowed a whole lotta pride to take this gig.

Make no mistake, he is one of the best in the history of sports. He's not as animated as he was a decade ago, but he's still really, really good. We all loved the magic carpet Rain Man stuff, but I also really loved the "Ray Allen hearing signals from other planets" routine. You just don't get that kind of creativity.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:
    Kennedyin92 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Kevin Calabro has been hired. So there's another stick in the eye for sonic fans. Now I'm hoping and praying for bill Walton as his partner.

I do. The Blazers were a bigger rival than either the Mariners or Seahawks have. You know KC swallowed a whole lotta pride to take this gig.

Make no mistake, he is one of the best in the history of sports. He's not as animated as he was a decade ago, but he's still really, really good. We all loved the magic carpet Rain Man stuff, but I also really loved the "Ray Allen hearing signals from other planets" routine. You just don't get that kind of creativity.

Yep, he's moving on. That chapter is closed, and he knows it.

If KC is taking this job, it says a lot. And that's what stings.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• We weren't getting a team anyway, congrats to PDX fans, you're in for a treat.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• JSeahawks wrote:.........Now I'm hoping and praying for bill Walton as his partner.

Walton as the color guy would so cool J.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• The NBA is still dead to me until we get a team, but if us Sonics fans can't have KC then I'm happy our neighbors to the south can hear him. I bet it's in his contract that he can opt out if he's ever offered a Seattle job if one becomes available.

OKC would have made me puke.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

• I wish KC the best in Portland, but how the hell do things continue to get worse for us Sonics fans. It has to stop at some point right? It just keeps getting worse. I have always hated the Blazers but at least it's Paul Allens team.
    86Hawk
    NET Starter

• JSeahawks wrote:Kevin Calabro has been hired. So there's another stick in the eye for sonic fans. Now I'm hoping and praying for bill Walton as his partner.

How can it be a stick in the eye when we don't have a team??? KC has been doing national broadcasts since Stern and Clay Clay stole the Sonics. Seattle isn't getting an NBA team for at least another decade if not ever, so why not get a gig with the next closest market? KC Is the best NBA play by play guy IMHO. Absolutely great hire for the Blazers.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:

How can it be a stick in the eye when we don't have a team??? KC has been doing national broadcasts since Stern and Clay Clay stole the Sonics. Seattle isn't getting an NBA team for at least another decade if not ever, so why not get a gig with the next closest market? KC Is the best NBA play by play guy IMHO. Absolutely great hire for the Blazers.

We currently don't have a team but we're still Sonics fans, that's the one thing they can't take from us. For many of us Sonics fans the Blazers were our hated rival. Great hire for the Blazers and wish nothing but the best for him. But for me it's like Steve Raible going to the 49ers.
    86Hawk
    NET Starter

• 86Hawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

We currently don't have a team but we're still Sonics fans, that's the one thing they can't take from us. For many of us Sonics fans the Blazers were our hated rival. Great hire for the Blazers and wish nothing but the best for him. But for me it's like Steve Raible going to the 49ers.

Growing up as a Blazers fan, I never viewed the Sonics as the hated rival. That was, and always will be the Lakers. If not for the NBA stealing two game 6 from Portland vs the Lakers, Porland would have been to two more finals and would have surely beaten Indian for a 2nd title. F you David Stern for rigging the games.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:

Growing up as a Blazers fan, I never viewed the Sonics as the hated rival. That was, and always will be the Lakers. If not for the NBA stealing two game 6 from Portland vs the Lakers, Porland would have been to two more finals and would have surely beaten Indian for a 2nd title. F you David Stern for rigging the games.

Agreed. Lakers were always the most hated. Then Utah with Malone and Stockton. Seattle was 3rd.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• CPHawk wrote:
    86Hawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Totally agreed. Grew up in Vancouver -- my first two favorite professional athletes were Bill Walton and Slick Watts. The rivalry has never really done that much for me, either.

And yeah, if NBC/NBA weren't so damn desperate to have had a Magic vs. Michael final back in '91, Jordan would only have five rings.
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

• I wish they would pair Kevin Calabro with PJ Carlesimo. The last broadcast crew was well.....you know.

PJ was a great coach and a better radio personality.

Yes, we nearly beat Jordan And Shaq teams. Jordan wasnt a mercenary.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Atradees wrote:I wish they would pair Kevin Calabro with PJ Carlesimo. The last broadcast crew was well.....you know.

PJ was a great coach and a better radio personality.

Yes, we nearly beat Jordan And Shaq teams. Jordan wasnt a mercenary.

The Blazers should try to land Marques Johnson as well to their broadcast team.
    KC and MJ were pure magic when they worked together in Seattle, teaming them both with Wheels you'd have the best announcing/broadcast crew in all of sports.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Is the guy serious? Personally I hate retarded commentary slap stick. Bill Walton.....
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• I don't mind KC going to Portland while Seattle has no team. Portland fans just better hope they don't get too attached to him, because he will be back in Seattle when they finally get another NBA team.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• fenderbender123 wrote:I don't mind KC going to Portland while Seattle has no team. Portland fans just better hope they don't get too attached to him, because he will be back in Seattle when they finally get another NBA team.

KC is 60, do you think he'll be doing games still when he's 75-80? I wanted the Sonics and an NHL team back in Seattle as much as anyone, but at this point I'd almost bet Vegas gets a NBA team first.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:I don't mind KC going to Portland while Seattle has no team. Portland fans just better hope they don't get too attached to him, because he will be back in Seattle when they finally get another NBA team.

KC is 60, do you think he'll be doing games still when he's 75-80? I wanted the Sonics and an NHL team back in Seattle as much as anyone, but at this point I'd almost bet Vegas gets a NBA team first.

:ditto: Sadly I just don't see the NBA in Seattle very soon given the political climate in the city. Now if Bellevue, Renton were to step up, then it might increase the chances.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:36 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information