Trailblazers fire 3/4ths of broadcast team

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The only one who will remain is radio play by play guy Brian wheeler

Mike Rice, Mike Barrett and Antonio Harvey all let go with one year left on their contracts. I like Rice, he's entertaining, but I still think these are good moves.

Going forward Wheels will do the radio call on his own and they will hire a new tv team.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Just looking for new blood I think.

http://katu.com/news/local/report-blaze ... -mike-rice

Rice is getting old and makes a ton of mistakes. I like him, but it's probably time for him to go.

Barrett is good at his job but is kind of boring, in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised to see him catch on with TNT or espn. He has a good voice and is knowledgable.

Antonio Harvey I never liked on the radio.

I'm glad they're keeping Wheels.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I heard this may have something to do with the end of the team's contract with Comcast Spirts Net. Wonder if they're going to Root?

m0ng0

Reaction score
Yeah Rice was always a bit of a kook, I liked Barrett and Harvey was kinda meh. I vote for getting Bill Walton :D

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Read today that the contract with Comcast Sports Northwest ends after next season and that the team officials are unhappy that an agreement to provide streaming was never reached.

Also, the latest rumor is that Kevin Callabro will replace Barrett (according to 1080 The Fan).

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I like Wheels when he was up in Seattle doing sportsradio before the Blazers gig.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Kevin Calabro has been hired. So there's another stick in the eye for sonic fans. Now I'm hoping and praying for bill Walton as his partner.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Huge upgrade by getting Colabro. Colabro is one of the best play-by-play guys, hence him doing the national broadcast for the NBA Finals with Hubie Brown. The past guys were nothing special. The play-by-play was okay, but forgettable. The older guy who was the color commentator seemed out-dated.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2oiq1gvl said:
Kevin Calabro has been hired. So there's another stick in the eye for sonic fans. Now I'm hoping and praying for bill Walton as his partner.

As a Sonics fan, I don't really see this as a "stick in the eye" because we don't have a team and likely will not for the forseeable future. A stick in the eye would have been him announcing for that Oklahoma team.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Of all the local sports broadcasters, I always liked Colabro the most. More than Dave Neihaus and more than Steve Raible. He is that good.

Tical21

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":3s66u4i8 said:
JSeahawks":3s66u4i8 said:

As a Sonics fan, I don't really see this as a "stick in the eye" because we don't have a team and likely will not for the forseeable future. A stick in the eye would have been him announcing for that Oklahoma team.
I do. The Blazers were a bigger rival than either the Mariners or Seahawks have. You know KC swallowed a whole lotta pride to take this gig.

Make no mistake, he is one of the best in the history of sports. He's not as animated as he was a decade ago, but he's still really, really good. We all loved the magic carpet Rain Man stuff, but I also really loved the "Ray Allen hearing signals from other planets" routine. You just don't get that kind of creativity.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Tical21":363d2h9n said:
Kennedyin92":363d2h9n said:
JSeahawks":363d2h9n said:

I do. The Blazers were a bigger rival than either the Mariners or Seahawks have. You know KC swallowed a whole lotta pride to take this gig.

Make no mistake, he is one of the best in the history of sports. He's not as animated as he was a decade ago, but he's still really, really good. We all loved the magic carpet Rain Man stuff, but I also really loved the "Ray Allen hearing signals from other planets" routine. You just don't get that kind of creativity.

Yep, he's moving on. That chapter is closed, and he knows it.

If KC is taking this job, it says a lot. And that's what stings.

Msfann

Reaction score
The NBA is still dead to me until we get a team, but if us Sonics fans can't have KC then I'm happy our neighbors to the south can hear him. I bet it's in his contract that he can opt out if he's ever offered a Seattle job if one becomes available.

OKC would have made me puke.

86Hawk

Reaction score
I wish KC the best in Portland, but how the hell do things continue to get worse for us Sonics fans. It has to stop at some point right? It just keeps getting worse. I have always hated the Blazers but at least it's Paul Allens team.

Latest posts