Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poll: Who wins the NBA title tonight?

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13

Who wins the NBA title tonight?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:47 am

Golden State
37%
Cleveland
63%

Total votes : 19

Re: Poll: Who wins the NBA title tonight?
Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:57 pm
  • Every year, on every message board I frequent, the NBA finals discussions are always like 80% posts about how it's rigged, and 20% people actually talking about the game. I thought the officiating was pretty good in all the playoffs/finals games I watched this year.

I'm happy for Cleveland. It must suck being a sports fan in that city. It's also cool to see a team come back from being down 3-1, especially since it was against the defending champs who won 73 regular season games this year. I know this is a bit cliche, but it just seemed like Cleveland's players really wanted it more. They all looked so poised and determined.

I don't have a problem with Golden State, but they just won a championship, and everyone and their brother has been carrying on about Curry/Thompson all year. Curry looked frustrated for much of the finals. He should improve his body language, and his defense since he seems to struggle with defending anyone without committing a foul (the only questionable foul I saw called on him was tonight, the rest were on him).
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• I was pulling for Cleveland and Lebron had a series that was one of if not the best finals series ever. I know no one wants to hear it but you can make a decent argument about him being the best ever if he keeps this pace up. He's the best all around player I've ever seen. I love Golden state but to come back from 3-1 against an all time great team on the road in game 7 and facing 3 elimination games? Unreal. Hats off the city of Cleveland and Lebron.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

• I just want to give it up for Kyrie Irving, he worked Curry a few times last night 'specially on that three for the pull ahead.
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• 86Hawk wrote:
    Cleveland will always shoot from the stripe just because of how they play.

Yet they won on a 3 pointer...

Such an interesting game at the end. Cleveland stalled on offense. The single clear out and pick and rolls weren't getting Lebron or Kyrie good looks.

And yet Golden State sputtered as well...

I like a good sports story, and both winning would've made for a good one. The way it ended though was both thrilling and anti-climatic at the same time. Here is maybe one of the best scoring players in NBA history against one of the best scoring teams in NBA history and they combine to do nothing but miss for the last 4 minutes of Game 7... and yet win it on a three and great defensive play.

Enjoyed it.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• I'm just glad it's over. Is the NBA the only league where the playoffs lasts longer than the regular season? I think so.

I'm happy for the city of Cleveland, lord knows they deserve a championship............but other than a couple moments of insane athleticism on Lebron's part, the last 10-15 minutes was back and forth horrible basketball with missed shots and tired lazy 3 point attempts on GS's part.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Throwdown wrote:I just want to give it up for Kyrie Irving, he worked Curry a few times last night 'specially on that three for the pull ahead.

:ditto: The 3 to go ahead was the shot of the game.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Do you think it is fair to say that LeBron James had more pressure on him from day one than any athlete in the history of sports? He was basically being called The Chosen One when he was a 18-year old kid. Someone on ESPN brought this up, and I don't think I can think of anyone else who had more pressure put on their shoulders from the moment they became a pro sports player. And I think it's safe to say LeBron not only met the hype but exceeded it. This cements LeBron as top 5 of all time, and when it is all said and done he will likely be right behind MJ at #2. I'm not saying that he will deserve it, but with the day and age we live in, people will say he is #2. Is it even possible for him to leap MJ and be #1? He is 3 titles behind, so what happens if he wins 3 more? 4 more?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Do you think it is fair to say that LeBron James had more pressure on him from day one than any athlete in the history of sports. He was basically being called The Chosen One when he was a 18-year old kid. Someone on ESPN brought this up, and I don't think I can think of someone else who had more pressure put on their shoulders the moment they became a pro sports player.

Props to LeBron and the city of Cleveland.

I think that's fair. He was anointed the "King" in high school and spent the early part of his career as the best player on his team even though he was barely in his 20s. While "the Decision" has always seemed as a cop out in many ways, when looked at in full perspective it made alot of sense... just to relieve some of that pressure he's always had.

I haven't been the biggest Lebron supporter. Not a hater, by any stretch. But many of my criticisms of him as a player (and in comparison to Jordan), especially following that poor performance in Game 4 were answered the last three games. He deserves all the accolades, and to be put in the 1a/1b discussion for best player in NBA history.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:58 am
  • I think "The Decision" is what put pressure and brought out the hate for Lebron, and not so much the things you listed.

Lebron was one of the most beloved respected athletes in the world before he decided to make The Decision and take his look at me sideshow to Miami. That's when the media talking heads and sports fans started hating on him, thus the pressure you're talking about.

For me this is about the city of Cleveland, Lebron is secondary. I'm glad he came back to Cleveland and made it right. Most athletes never get a chance to do what he did, as we know with our own high profile athletes leaving, i.e. Griffey, A-Rod, Randy, etc. So IMO great story.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:00 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Do you think it is fair to say that LeBron James had more pressure on him from day one than any athlete in the history of sports? He was basically being called The Chosen One when he was a 18-year old kid. Someone on ESPN brought this up, and I don't think I can think of anyone else who had more pressure put on their shoulders from the moment they became a pro sports player. And I think it's safe to say LeBron not only met the hype but exceeded it. This cements LeBron as top 5 of all time, and when it is all said and done he will likely be right behind MJ at #2. I'm not saying that he will deserve it, but with the day and age we live in, people will say he is #2. Is it even possible for him to leap MJ and be #1? He is 3 titles behind, so what happens if he wins 3 more? 4 more?

Your first point is totally fair, in the modern age of social media the pressure was unreal on Lebron. I watched and idolized Jordan growing up and I never wanted to admit it but I think Lebron is the better all around basketball player so he definitely has a chance to go down as the greatest ever. I'm not a huge fan of judging players by who has the most titles but I get it. He's already on the MT. Rushmore of basketball and it will be interesting to see how the next 4-6 years unfold. I get the hate about the "decision" and I didn't like it either and he has made some mistakes along the way for sure but the guy is better than people realize....in my opinion.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:26 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Do you think it is fair to say that LeBron James had more pressure on him from day one than any athlete in the history of sports? He was basically being called The Chosen One when he was a 18-year old kid. Someone on ESPN brought this up, and I don't think I can think of anyone else who had more pressure put on their shoulders from the moment they became a pro sports player. And I think it's safe to say LeBron not only met the hype but exceeded it. This cements LeBron as top 5 of all time, and when it is all said and done he will likely be right behind MJ at #2. I'm not saying that he will deserve it, but with the day and age we live in, people will say he is #2. Is it even possible for him to leap MJ and be #1? He is 3 titles behind, so what happens if he wins 3 more? 4 more?

I think Tiger Woods is right up there. He was set to save a sport, destroy racial stereotypes, and compete with Arnold and Jacks records before he ever turned pro.

Also Jackie Robinson comes to mind.
    Last edited by JSeahawks on Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:38 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Do you think it is fair to say that LeBron James had more pressure on him from day one than any athlete in the history of sports. He was basically being called The Chosen One when he was a 18-year old kid. Someone on ESPN brought this up, and I don't think I can think of someone else who had more pressure put on their shoulders the moment they became a pro sports player.

Props to LeBron and the city of Cleveland.

I think that's fair. He was anointed the "King" in high school and spent the early part of his career as the best player on his team even though he was barely in his 20s. While "the Decision" has always seemed as a cop out in many ways, when looked at in full perspective it made alot of sense... just to relieve some of that pressure he's always had.

I haven't been the biggest Lebron supporter. Not a hater, by any stretch. But many of my criticisms of him as a player (and in comparison to Jordan), especially following that poor performance in Game 4 were answered the last three games. He deserves all the accolades, and to be put in the 1a/1b discussion for best player in NBA history.

Not to defend the Decision, but the pressure was on Lebron long before that. He was a one man show on a bad Cleveland team that essentially refused to bring him help, and he continued to take them far. Opting to play with Wade and Bosh, while detestable in the way it was handled, took the pressure off him. Opposite of a "look at me" in reality. He was now one of three top players and didn't have to do it all.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Couldn't agree more. I didn't start off a Lebron fan but with so much hate for him and just watching him play I've become one.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

• I didn't watch any of the previous games in this series, but I thought Cleveland played a much more complete game and at many times during the game I was dumbfounded that it was as close as it was.

Basically, if not for Draymond Green playing the best game of his entire life, it would have been a blowout win for Cleveland. Cleveland dominated the boards, dominated in the paint, did a much better job drawing fouls, and played under control.

Golden State forgot what made them good in the first place (passing and getting open looks) and took way too many bad shots.

Both teams sucked in the final 3 minutes, but unfortunately GS sucked more than Cleveland did. I'm happy for Lebron / Cleveland and I'm happy that the idiot press got some comeuppance after slamming the Cavs all season long over the most insanely petty $h!t...

...but still, I was rooting for GS. After the 2001 Mariners, I know how much it stings to come up short on a historic season and I didn't want to see that happen to a good org like GS. Especially not after leading 3-1 in the series and dropping two at home. Not that it's a perfect analogy, but can you imagine if SB XL were played in Seattle and the result were the same? With Jerome Bettis kissing the trophy in front of a stadium full of Seahawks fans? Can you imagine the insanity of that? Because that's basically what Warrior fans had to endure last night with Lebron weeping with the trophy in a stadium full of stunned and grieving fans.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• austinslater25 wrote:Couldn't agree more. I didn't start off a Lebron fan but with so much hate for him and just watching him play I've become one.

Kobe was the same way for me. Hated him for most of his career, but later on I grew to appreciate his greatness.

I always felt most of the LeBron hate was unwarranted in the past. Even the haters can't hate on LeBron anymore. They can choose not to like him as a player/person, but they have to acknowledge that he is already one of the all-time greats.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• District of Columbia is the most starved sports city since 2000 in terms of playing in a championship game (NLCS, NFC Championship, NBA Conference Finals, let alone the actual championship games of these sports) -- they're the only city with 3 major sports teams not to play in that caliber game.

Cleveland is probably 2nd, but the Cavs had been in the Finals a few times prior to this win.

Take away the Joe Gibbs' Super Bowl Skins and DC is pretty damn starved....
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• NINEster wrote:District of Columbia is the most starved sports city since 2000 in terms of playing in a championship game (NLCS, NFC Championship, NBA Conference Finals, let alone the actual championship games of these sports) -- they're the only city with 3 major sports teams not to play in that caliber game.

Cleveland is probably 2nd, but the Cavs had been in the Finals a few times prior to this win.

Take away the Joe Gibbs' Super Bowl Skins and DC is pretty damn starved....

In the last 50 years, Cleveland has 1 world championship in the big 4 sports with 5 title appearances. Washington has 4 championships with 10 title appearances. If you want to throw in soccer, Washington has 8 championships with 15 title appearances, and last won in 2004. No one would claim Washington was more starved than Cleveland. Hell, Washington has as many World Series titles as Cleveland in the last 90 years, and Washington didn't even have a major league team for 33 of them!
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Yeah the spotlight now moves off of Cleveland and onto these cities IMO:

San Diego (Chargers and Padres have won nothing, then add in the SD Clippers and Rockets when they had the NBA)
    Minnesota
    Buffalo
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Yeah the spotlight now moves off of Cleveland and onto these cities IMO:

San Diego (Chargers and Padres have won nothing, then add in the SD Clippers and Rockets when they had the NBA)
    Minnesota
    Buffalo

San Diego's last title was the Chargers' 1963 AFL Championship. IIRC Buffalo's was the 1964 AFL Championship unless the Sabres have won a Stanley Cup. As for Minny, their drought isn't as bad as the Twinkies won a World Series in the 80s I believe.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• kearly wrote:Golden State forgot what made them good in the first place (passing and getting open looks) and took way too many bad shots.

Well, the big problem is that Curry just never recovered from the knee injury.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ste ... shot-back/

...so Cleveland didn't have to sag quite as much into the gravity of Curry. Cleveland is not a great defensive team, but they looked great this series.

There was a report between the series saying that Curry was having problems with his shoulders and knee and may need surgery in the off-season. When asked about it, Curry scoffed and said something like, "I just laughed when I heard that nonsense about my shoulders."

All you have to do is think back to last year's Finals. Curry didn't have a hugely productive Finals but he had many memorable shots off dribbling moves and drives to the basket. There was none of that this Finals. He didn't try to make moves, didn't go to the basket, and couldn't get away from anyone. I expect if there's a rematch of this Finals next year, the Cavs will get swept.

Even still, there is another universe where Green is not suspended and this series was over in game 5. Usually, the best team wins the NBA title, one of the things I happen to like about basketball. Not this time.
    formido
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:20 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information