Rio Olympics 2016

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The Zika virus, raw sewage in the water, widespread fraud & corruption, unfinished venues, political chaos, crime, and now dead bodies on the beach. Can we just go ahead and cancel these Olympics now?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I can't think of an Olympics I've been less excited about.

Largent80

Reaction score
SeatownJay":lmoj2hag said:
The Zika virus, raw sewage in the water, widespread fraud & corruption, unfinished venues, political chaos, crime, and now dead bodies on the beach. Can we just go ahead and cancel the ...nope.... now?

FIFY,....... :lol: but seriously, this is everyday life in Rio. Except another new virus.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Are you guys excited for the Olympics?

Seems like with the 24/7 global options for sports we're spoiled with now, the Olympics just don't do much for me anymore..........compared to when I was a kid everyone got really pumped up to watch.

I usually still watch, but the Olympics aren't what it used to be.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I am not, and have not been excited about the Summer olympics for decades. I still enjoy the Winter olympics.

The Olympics have really fallen down the list of "must see" events over the years. When i was a kid, Olympic athletes were the sports stars of their generation. Now, they come and go in a 2-3 week window and are all but forgotten by the end of Summer. It's unfortunate, but the rise of professional sports and the adulation (and marketing) of the pro athlete has made the Olympics almost irrelevant it seems.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2miq5auu said:
I am not, and have not been excited about the Summer olympics for decades. I still enjoy the Winter olympics.

The Olympics have really fallen down the list of "must see" events over the years. When i was a kid, Olympic athletes were the sports stars of their generation. Now, they come and go in a 2-3 week window and are all but forgotten by the end of Summer. It's unfortunate, but the rise of professional sports and the adulation (and marketing) of the pro athlete has made the Olympics almost irrelevant it seems.

Agreed.

The internet and social media has also ruined the Olympics. It used to not matter that it was taped delayed back in the day, now unless you live in a cave with no internet you know who won before the event is aired. I

I don't need to watch Bob Costas talk for three hours of a five hour telecast with his pink eye teasing some event that finally airs at 11:00PM that I already know who won.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1gnpnkgp said:
Are you guys excited for the Olympics?

Seems like with the 24/7 global options for sports we're spoiled with now, the Olympics just don't do much for me anymore..........compared to when I was a kid everyone got really pumped up to watch.

I usually still watch, but the Olympics aren't what it used to be.
Not really because my network channels don't come in half the time so I just learn about it from the internet.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well since the surge in popularity lets say from the 60's on with TV the Olympics has stopped being about the athletes and more about who is holding it and getting the media rights. We rarely see stories about the athletes and the preliminary qualifications anymore. Wide World of Sports was very good about having those events and story's. The would show the qualifications and have the back story on the participants so you got to know them before the Olympics.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm definitely looking forward to them. The fact that Hussein bolt could step on a drug needle as he's running down the track, and Michael phelps could be swimming in raw sewage just adds to the intrigue. Not to mention the snipers trying to shoot Mosquitos should be entertaining (new Olympic event?)

In all seriousness though, ill be glued to the tv the whole time. Love me some Olympics.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
This is what happens when the Olympics are governed by an organization as corrupt as the I.O.C.

CPHawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3kf47ukf said:
The Zika virus, raw sewage in the water, widespread fraud & corruption, unfinished venues, political chaos, crime, and now dead bodies on the beach. Can we just go ahead and cancel these Olympics now?

So basically it's as if we had the Olympics at Oakland Coliseum?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CPHawk":1kyic76n said:
SeatownJay":1kyic76n said:

I literally LOL'd. Bravo.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Through Day 3 (out of 10) Ducks are dominating the Track and field Olympic trials.

So far ex-Ducks have won the marathon, Mens 10,000, Men's shot put, Men's decathlon and women's 100 meter dash.

Quack.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
CPHawk":1lgu0kv9 said:
SeatownJay":1lgu0kv9 said:

Pretty much, minus the ghost of greasy uncle Al haunting everything.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2x0jvca9 said:
Through Day 3 (out of 10) Ducks are dominating the Track and field Olympic trials.

So far ex-Ducks have won the marathon, Mens 10,000, Men's shot put, Men's decathlon and women's 100 meter dash.

Quack.
This isn't a shacked forum so I cannot give the appropriate response.
8)

JSeahawks

Reaction score
This is kind of cool. Probably my all time favorite non seahawk is Randall Cunningham. His daughter, a high jumper, just became the youngest track and field participant to reach the Olympics in the last 38 years.

Hawker

Reaction score
^^^ That was awesome to see. Good for her!

I was a swimmer in HS, so I always tune in to see the US qualifiers. Heartbreaking for some of these young athletes who miss the games by fifteen one-hundredths of a second. Man.

I'll admit, the Olympics had more appeal when I was younger - but it is still fun to watch. World records seem to be so short lived nowadays.

peppersjap

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3lq5q0qz said:

Quack.
That's because if you win you go to Rio and you might die in various unpleasant ways!!!