EPL '16/'17

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: EPL '16/'17
Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:23 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:History. (Also.. wrong season). Chelsea may yet get there one day.

    Going to be a heck of a run in



    That was April 27th 2014 then Suarez was gone July 2014.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 582
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:07 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:History. (Also.. wrong season). Chelsea may yet get there one day.

    Going to be a heck of a run in



    That was April 27th 2014 then Suarez was gone July 2014.


    Which was not the season they ran off 11 straight in a 343...
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10927
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:29 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:12 wins in a row. The 343 is here to stay.

    Top of the table having a laugh........


    I remember Liverpool in 2014, without Suarez, running that 343...

    went 12 or so unbeaten...

    finished with 8 points from 27.



    You brought up 2014
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 582
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:32 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:12 wins in a row. The 343 is here to stay.

    Top of the table having a laugh........


    I remember Liverpool in 2014, without Suarez, running that 343...

    went 12 or so unbeaten...

    finished with 8 points from 27.



    You brought up 2014


    Yes. And the next season (which started in August of 2014) Liverpool went on an 11 game tear playing a 343. Lasted into 2015. Then the wheels came off.

    Pretty sure I got the year right... maybe it started in early 2015. Either way it was the first season after Suarez. Beginning of the end of Rodgers.

    Chelsea's version is much different. Plus, better players.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10927
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:16 pm
  • You got all your years mixed up.

    2013-14 Liverpool won 12 in a row with Luis (31 goals yikes)

    They finished 2nd due to Demba Ba

    2014-15 No Luis and the most they won in a row was 5
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 582
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:11 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:You got all your years mixed up.

    2013-14 Liverpool won 12 in a row with Luis (31 goals yikes)

    They finished 2nd due to Demba Ba

    2014-15 No Luis and the most they won in a row was 5


    My bad. 2014/15 was a long unbeaten streak in the 343

    The year they had a 12 game unbeaten streak, there was no Suarez. They finished that season losing 6-0 at Stoke. Rodgers was fired s few games into the next season
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10927
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:02 am
  • Well at the end of the day Conte has this team playing at a level that has not been seen since the days of Carlo Ancelotti. So far this has been a fun season. Winter transfers might get interesting.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 582
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:05 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:Well at the end of the day Conte has this team playing at a level that has not been seen since the days of Carlo Ancelotti. So far this has been a fun season. Winter transfers might get interesting.


    He's done an excellent job

    Liverpool showed their frailty there
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10927
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:18 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Well at the end of the day Conte has this team playing at a level that has not been seen since the days of Carlo Ancelotti. So far this has been a fun season. Winter transfers might get interesting.


    He's done an excellent job

    Liverpool showed their frailty there



    The loss to Liverpool and Arsenal forced Conte to change things and the results have been impressive. At the same time it is looking like Pep is not having a good time with the EPL.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 582
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:22 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Well at the end of the day Conte has this team playing at a level that has not been seen since the days of Carlo Ancelotti. So far this has been a fun season. Winter transfers might get interesting.


    He's done an excellent job

    Liverpool showed their frailty there



    The loss to Liverpool and Arsenal forced Conte to change things and the results have been impressive. At the same time it is looking like Pep is not having a good time with the EPL.


    Pep was always going to "struggle" until he gets the right players in for what he wants to do.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10927
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:25 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Well at the end of the day Conte has this team playing at a level that has not been seen since the days of Carlo Ancelotti. So far this has been a fun season. Winter transfers might get interesting.


    He's done an excellent job

    Liverpool showed their frailty there



    The loss to Liverpool and Arsenal forced Conte to change things and the results have been impressive. At the same time it is looking like Pep is not having a good time with the EPL.


    Pep was always going to "struggle" until he gets the right players in for what he wants to do.



    Pep was not a fan of Yaya during his days at Barca too. The Gundogan injury was devastating for Pep and his system.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 582
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:40 am
  • I can't imagine Pep went into the season thinking an oft injured Gundogan was the key to his EPL successes. What he needs, and what he is not getting, is stronger and more technical play from the back 3. Gundogan could offer those players some relief (like Ramos did for him at Barca and Thiago did at Bayern) but the issue here is his current crop of defenders are not offering enough in support of the attack. Liverpool game was one of the better ones I've seen Stones play.. but they still can't connect with much danger.

    They look more like Pep's Bayern then Pep's Barca, with far more play out wide. He is finding that it is difficult to break down the much faster, more athletic and more tactically sound defenses of the PL going out wide and still playing his style (versus say Ferguson's United teams who lived on the wings but were happy with 2-1 games).
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10927
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:20 pm
  • Both very good points. Fergie playing that 442 and at times it would turn into a 424 with how high the wings would play.



    Man the boys in blue got dusted today. They always lose to the Spurs in January. It is almost a tradition these days.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 582
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:05 pm
  • Winter Transfers have been very slow.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 582
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:47 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:Winter Transfers have been very slow.



    Very slow. I would have figured that United, Spurs and Liverpool would be more active in strengthening, given their positions. Chelsea is in a great place at the moment, deep squad, limited fixtures, outside the Costa row.

    Arsenal are also in a weird spot. Sanchez and Ozil look to be off by Summer.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10927
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: EPL '16/'17
Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:20 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:Winter Transfers have been very slow.



    Very slow. I would have figured that United, Spurs and Liverpool would be more active in strengthening, given their positions. Chelsea is in a great place at the moment, deep squad, limited fixtures, outside the Costa row.

    Arsenal are also in a weird spot. Sanchez and Ozil look to be off by Summer.



    I was thinking along similar lines. The only thing Chelsea did was recall Ake from loan. Which is nice to see Conte actually use some of these players Chelsea has in its youth system.

    I thought for sure Jose would be spending big this winter. It is only the 16th so this post might look silly in a few days but so far nothing.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 582
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


Previous


It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:11 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests