Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Kevin Durant joins golden state Westbrook will not sign okc

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Kevin Durant joins golden state
Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:49 pm
  • I've been fully immersed in 4th of July family stuff all day (parade in the AM and just got back from a get together tonight), so I'm just now finally sitting down and getting updated on all the day's happenings. Hearing that Durant is leaving OKC high and dry?!? -- you couldn't jackhammer the smile off my face.

Clint Gresham definitely nailed it. I'm partying along with the rest of Seattle tonight, dancing to the tune of the laments of Thunder fans everywhere.

How 'bout them apples Clay Clay?? Let's see how the "best fans in the NBA" deal with being bottom feeders for the foreseeable future. May the Thunder hemorrhage more money and assets than the stock market did on Black Tuesday.

Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:10 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:This is terrible for the nba. Regular season and even playoffs just became completely irrelevent for the next few years. Just pencil in gs vs Cleveland and don't bother with the rest. I was hoping he'd go to Boston.

I think this officially ends my interest in the NBA.

I'm sure a lot of people said this when LeBron went to the Heat. Instead what happened is TV ratings went through the roof. It's always great for sports leagues when there's a true villain.
    brettb3
    NET Rookie

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:58 pm
  • I need to start out by saying I grew up a Blazer fan and then ended up in the Seattle area. I still stayed a Blazer fan but obviously watched the debacle which was steeling the Sonics 1st hand. I might not have the complete love for the Sonics (even though I did enjoy the Payton/Kemp years) but this has been a great day for me. I love that this finally came back on OKC and Clay Bennett. The next thing to happen will be the trading of Westbrook and OKC is in a complete rebuild.

I have spent a little time on the Thunders forums tonight and they are a crack up, many have mentioned burning KD's restaurant to the ground ( the best was the guy who was going to give it a negative review on yelp). The one that I found really naïve was in support of KD, he said that Durant had helped build an organization. Apparently he is not aware that the organization that he started with was the Sonic's and that they had a pretty successful history. It will be a pretty hard draw to get a FA to go to OKC, I think it is very fitting that an ex Sonic helped send the Thunder into a tail spin.
    peppersjap
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:40 am
  • GSW kind of doubling down on what they're already good at. Be interesting to see how that chemistry plays itself out.

OKC is humped for a while. Russ isn't staying, KD & Ibaka gone. What do you even do, here? Trade & tank? Try to make a push with a Westbrook/Oladipo/Adams trio? (Jeez, fantasy folks, run out and grab Westbrook, he's about to chuck about 40ppg)

Spurs grab Gasol a couple of years too late. Definitely an offensive improvement over 2016 Timmy. Interesting handful of bigs on the Spurs ... Gasol, Boban, Aldridge, kicking the tires on Bertrans. Backcourt desperately needs some work, though. At least with this round of free agency, Tony Parker's contract doesn't look -quite- so horrifying and Green is downright bargain basement, making that Austin Rivers level money. I can't really fault the Spurs for that... only realistic option to pursue at PG was Conley and dude got like 30/year from Memphis.

Barring something extra weird happening, looks like a Spurs-Warriors WCF is a safe bet with Spurs' only real shot being to snag the #1 seed (Which probably ain't gonna happen, but sports are weird.)
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:44 am
  • brettb3 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:This is terrible for the nba. Regular season and even playoffs just became completely irrelevent for the next few years. Just pencil in gs vs Cleveland and don't bother with the rest. I was hoping he'd go to Boston.

I'm sure a lot of people said this when LeBron went to the Heat. Instead what happened is TV ratings went through the roof. It's always great for sports leagues when there's a true villain.

True but there still needs to be more parity in the NBA. Now everytime GS loses, everyone will cheer. I'm sure they'll get another title or two, but the years they don't everyone will call them chokers. Miami winning only 2 out of 4 straight finals is an overall "disappointment" to some people. Expectations are huge now for GS.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:49 am
  • LOVE IT! Take that Clay, Take that Thunder fans. LOVE IT!
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:31 am
  • Crizilla wrote:
    brettb3 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:This is terrible for the nba. Regular season and even playoffs just became completely irrelevent for the next few years. Just pencil in gs vs Cleveland and don't bother with the rest. I was hoping he'd go to Boston.

True but there still needs to be more parity in the NBA. Now everytime GS loses, everyone will cheer. I'm sure they'll get another title or two, but the years they don't everyone will call them chokers. Miami winning only 2 out of 4 straight finals is an overall "disappointment" to some people. Expectations are huge now for GS.

Why does there need to be parity?

People will tune into the GS Death Machine to either admire it or wish its demise. Its ratings...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:09 am
  • Crizilla wrote:
    brettb3 wrote:

You mean parity like GS and Cleveland winning the last two titles? Cleveland had never won a title, and GS hadn't won since 1975.

It's not like baseball where it's usually the same 5-6 big market teams winning 8 out of every 10 years. The Lakers stink, the Knicks stink, the Celtics stink, etc. Isn't that parity?

IMO the NBA has the best cap, still fair yet flexible enough where you can pay your stars if they want to stay. Just so happens KD was tired of the crap hole that is OKC.

Good, I hope the Thunder are a lottery team for the next 100 years.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:49 am
  • TravTex wrote:GSW kind of doubling down on what they're already good at. Be interesting to see how that chemistry plays itself out.

OKC is humped for a while. Russ isn't staying, KD & Ibaka gone. What do you even do, here? Trade & tank? Try to make a push with a Westbrook/Oladipo/Adams trio? (Jeez, fantasy folks, run out and grab Westbrook, he's about to chuck about 40ppg)

Spurs grab Gasol a couple of years too late. Definitely an offensive improvement over 2016 Timmy. Interesting handful of bigs on the Spurs ... Gasol, Boban, Aldridge, kicking the tires on Bertrans. Backcourt desperately needs some work, though. At least with this round of free agency, Tony Parker's contract doesn't look -quite- so horrifying and Green is downright bargain basement, making that Austin Rivers level money. I can't really fault the Spurs for that... only realistic option to pursue at PG was Conley and dude got like 30/year from Memphis.

Barring something extra weird happening, looks like a Spurs-Warriors WCF is a safe bet with Spurs' only real shot being to snag the #1 seed (Which probably ain't gonna happen, but sports are weird.)

I could see the Spurs getting the #1 seed if the Warriors take a while to find their chemistry, ala LeBron's first year in Miami.
    Alexander
    NET Rookie

• This is going to be fun to watch.

Durant, Curry, and Thompson are three of the best shooters in history at their respective positions. Add Green and Iguodala, and you have five of the best perimeter defenders in the game on one roster.

They do have a BIG hole at center. The Warriors are likely to lose all three of their big men this off-season: Bogut, Ezeli, and probably Speights. They drafted Damian Jones, who they are very high on, and recently added Zaza Pachulia.

Damian Jones Highlights
    hawknation2016
    NET Veteran

• The media is going off about the crushed OKC fans over losing one friggin player. Also I keep reading this is bad for the NBA, sorry but that ship sailed in 2008.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

• Parity is great, look at the NFL. The NBA can't be doing well if theyre going to put ads on their jerseys soon. Look at the East. It's a joke. Every year theres 2-3 .500 (or even sub .500) teams that make the playoffs. There's no point in watching until the conference finals. Right now its all about GS and Cleveland compared to LA, Miami, SA, yes, but every year it's about which superstars are put together. Only 2-3 teams that have a real shot at the title each year. The Eagles 2008 "Dream team" didn't even make the playoffs. NBA is the perfect sport to group star players together so you can dominate the league.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Power forward David West has agreed to a one-year contract for the veteran's minimum with the Golden State Warriors, NBA.com is reporting.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/i ... david-west

Warriors 2016-17 Depth Chart
    PG Stephen Curry, Shaun Livingston
    SG Klay Thompson, Ian Clark, Patrick McCaw
    SF Kevin Durant, Andre Iguodala, Brandon Rush
    PF Draymond Green, David West, Kevon Looney, James McAdoo
    C Zaza Pachulia, Damian Jones
    hawknation2016
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2016 wrote:
    Power forward David West has agreed to a one-year contract for the veteran's minimum with the Golden State Warriors, NBA.com is reporting.

Heh. Dude took like a 10 million dollar pay cut to come to San Antonio, then opts out of THAT to take another million-dollar cut to ring chase in Oakland. David damn well wants a ring.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• On a side note, I have a Durant jersey from his rookie year with the Sonics. I really wants to get KD to sign it. Probably will just have to go early to a Blazers game in hopes of him seeing it. I can't help but think it will be worth a lot of money 25+ years from now. How many Sonics Durant jerseys can be out there? Not to mention he will likely go down as a top 20 NBA player of all time, plus if we never get the Sonics back it will probably be even more.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Lol I dusted my sonics Durant jersey off yesterday
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Has there been such a huge collapse for a franchise?

Up 3-1 and probably would of beat the Cavs to win the title......SO CLOSE to getting to the finals and probably winning...

Then to now where Durant leaves and Westbrook will be gone as well leaving OKC in the dumps

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• WilsonMVP wrote:Has there been such a huge collapse for a franchise?

Up 3-1 and probably would of beat the Cavs to win the title......SO CLOSE to getting to the finals and probably winning...

Then to now where Durant leaves and Westbrook will be gone as well leaving OKC in the dumps

The way the Niners cratered the offseason in 2015 comes to mind.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• WilsonMVP wrote:Has there been such a huge collapse for a franchise?

49ers.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    WilsonMVP wrote:Has there been such a huge collapse for a franchise?

49ers.

In NBA terms ....obviously 49ers are on their own level :lol:

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:

49ers.

Somehow the thought that the Thunder might be the current 49er's makes me giggle.
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties

• WilsonMVP wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:

49ers.

In NBA terms ....obviously 49ers are on their own level :lol:

Magic of the 90s, shaq bolted for LA, penny got hurt and was never the same and eventually traded to Phoenix.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Crizilla wrote:Parity is great, look at the NFL. The NBA can't be doing well if theyre going to put ads on their jerseys soon. Look at the East. It's a joke. Every year theres 2-3 .500 (or even sub .500) teams that make the playoffs. There's no point in watching until the conference finals. Right now its all about GS and Cleveland compared to LA, Miami, SA, yes, but every year it's about which superstars are put together. Only 2-3 teams that have a real shot at the title each year. The Eagles 2008 "Dream team" didn't even make the playoffs. NBA is the perfect sport to group star players together so you can dominate the league.

And the NBA loves that model, obviously.

Parity is better in sports like the NFL because star power is less influential. In the NBA, 1-2 players will drive a championship. And the way the collective bargaining agreement was structured, where those stars land can literally change any minute.

Its the perfect set up for the NBA. Lebron has been in the finals something like 6 years in a row. That's what the NBA wants. And honestly, it's always been like that (well, since the mid/late 80s.) Stars grouped together to form mini-dynasties. 80s Pistons/Lakers/Celtics, late 80s Bulls, late 80s-early 90s Sonics/Blazers/Jazz/Suns and the Hornets in the East, mid 90s Rockets/Magic, late 90s-early 2000s Lakers...

each had 2-3 mega stars, with usually one or two signed in Free agency. And really there were only 5-6 teams that were going to challenge for a title, and that's being pretty liberal.

The reality is, there aren't that many "great" players in the NBA. Get 2 or 3 together and its going to roll through 95% of the schedule. Parity really can't exist in the NBA. It would not be marketable.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• For those enjoying the salty goodness of Thunder tears, here's a nice "suck it" rant from Danny O'Neil:

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/151178/ok ... ther-city/

But at least Seattle could console itself with the fact that when Durant left Seattle in 2008, it wasn’t his choice ... Oklahoma City, on the other hand, got dumped on a holiday with the Internet equivalent of a Dear John letter. It’s not you, said Durant, it’s him.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Hawk-Lock wrote:

49ers.

Thunder are still a playoff team. And probably still will be if they trade Westbrook. They won't be a title contender, but they'll still be regulars in the playoffs. Sam Presti is a really good GM.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• With Westbrook maybe. Without.. no. That's just begging for an argument.

Good luck with your bad day.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:With Westbrook maybe. Without.. no. That's just begging for an argument.

I'm assuming if Westbrook leaves it will be via trade, and they'll get some good pieces back. If he left an the thunder got nothing in return, then they'd probably be a lottery team.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• JSeahawks wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:With Westbrook maybe. Without.. no. That's just begging for an argument.

I'm assuming if Westbrook leaves it will be via trade, and they'll get some good pieces back. If he left an the thunder got nothing in return, then they'd probably be a lottery team.

Even so, no one will give them more for Westbrook than they would have for Durant.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:With Westbrook maybe. Without.. no. That's just begging for an argument.

Even so, no one will give them more for Westbrook than they would have for Durant.

I have a feeling the Lakers move Russell and Ingram (when he can be traded) for Westbrook before the season gets going. Makes too much sense for both sides. Westbrook to LA is the leagues worst kept secret, so might as well pry away a couple young players and start the rebuild
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:

I have a feeling the Lakers move Russell and Ingram (when he can be traded) for Westbrook before the season gets going. Makes too much sense for both sides. Westbrook to LA is the leagues worst kept secret, so might as well pry away a couple young players and start the rebuild

I think in order for a team to give up a lot for Westbrook, they will want him to sign an extension immediately. No point in the Lakers trading away their future if they only rent Westbrook for a year. I think he either gets traded to a title contendor who rents him out, or he does a sign and trade with a team like the Lakers. LA would make sense since he is from California and played at UCLA. But does he want to play for a bad team?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• LA would be smart to just keep their guys, specially Ingram and hope Westbrook is there in free agency.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:

49ers.

Thunder are still a playoff team. And probably still will be if they trade Westbrook. They won't be a title contender, but they'll still be regulars in the playoffs. Sam Presti is a really good GM.

That's not really saying a whole lot considering they play in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs every season and there are regularly teams with losing records in the playoffs.

I mean, I'm sure their fans will be super stoked with going from being a title contender to a 41-41 8th seed that gets curb stomped in the 1st round of the playoffs in 4 games by Durant and the Warriors. :lol:
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:I think in order for a team to give up a lot for Westbrook, they will want him to sign an extension immediately. No point in the Lakers trading away their future if they only rent Westbrook for a year. I think he either gets traded to a title contendor who rents him out, or he does a sign and trade with a team like the Lakers. LA would make sense since he is from California and played at UCLA. But does he want to play for a bad team?

He's wanted to be a Laker his entire career, and a bad team lets RWB get his Kobe on. If you're the Lakers, you do this deal because Westbrook and Russell can't co-exist anyway, so you're swapping one for the other.. and the cost of getting arguably the best PG in the league is the #2 pick. If Kevin Love fetched Andrew Wiggins, Russell Westbrook would absolutely fetch D'Angelo Russell and Brandon Ingram. I'm sure there'd have to be dialogue between the team and Westbrook regarding an extension in the offseason to do such a deal, but Westbrook has wanted to be a Laker so bad I think signing him would be relatively easy in this regard.

For those saying well, the Lakers could just keep their talent and hope RWB hits FA .. and they could do that, but with the cap rising AGAIN and a lot of teams way under the cap, the Lakers by no means would be a lock to beat out other teams proposals at wooing RWB away. Trading for him gives you a big edge on keeping him because you can give him an extra year and some 35-40M more than other teams would be able to offer.

This is essentially the same thing that happened with James Harden and Kevin Love, only with the crazy TV money in play now
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Chapow wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:

49ers.

That's not really saying a whole lot considering they play in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs every season and there are regularly teams with losing records in the playoffs.

I mean, I'm sure their fans will be super stoked with going from being a title contender to a 41-41 8th seed that gets curb stomped in the 1st round of the playoffs in 4 games by Durant and the Warriors. :lol:

That's what I want for that team, not bad enough to draft a good player, not good enough to ever do anything great.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:That's what I want for that team, not bad enough to draft a good player, not good enough to ever do anything great.

NBA no mans land is not a fun place to be.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Flipping through the channels today and the herd was on and they were talking about Durant and cowherd said something like "If he wins 3 championships with Golden state we won't even remember he played for OKC in 20 years".
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2016 wrote:
    Power forward David West has agreed to a one-year contract for the veteran's minimum with the Golden State Warriors, NBA.com is reporting.

I can scratch Brandon Rush from that depth chart; he signed with Minnesota. Barbosa signed with Phoenix. Ezeli to Portland. Speights to the LA Clippers. Bogut and Barnes to Dallas.

It's going to be a very different team next year. Curry-Thompson-Green give them some continuity, but the addition of Durant alters that dynamic. Obviously, there are questions at center, though Green and West both have experience playing center in small ball rotations. Jones is going to be out until at least training camp. Livingston was one of their more important signings for purposes of continuity off the bench.

The Livingston-Durant-Iguodala-West 2nd team is one of the more exiting propositions for next season. They should be able to manage it in such a way that Curry, Thompson or Durant are always on the floor, giving them an explosive scorer at all times.
    hawknation2016
    NET Veteran

• Yeah I've seen some people saying that GS will struggle next year because they've lost so many players in order to get Durant, but most of the guys they lost are replaceable or weren't that much of a factor in the past. The only guys I'd be worried about GS losing are Bogut and Ezeli. The center position is definitely a question mark right now, but GS will find a way to make it work.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Rumors are Larry Sanders may join the Warriors. He walked away from the NBA last year after another drug violation. It would be a big addition if GS can land him, assuming he can still play.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Warriors kept Varejao. That helps their depth at center.. sort of anyway.

I suspect before the season kicks off they'll add another vet or two on the cheap.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• JSeahawks wrote:Need to edt thread title. Westbrook close to signing extension.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1721 ... s-new-deal

That sucks. I was hoping he would leave or they'd be forced to trade him. Hopefully, he bolts in 2 years.
    Cactus Jack
    NET Bench Warmer

• So the rumors last summer about him wanting to leave OKC to get out of Durrants shadow were true...

As great as Durrant is... I'd rather have Westbrook. Good for OKC.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• OKC got one more year to figure out what's next. Not a solution here but an extension. Up to Presti now. Give Westbrook the pieces to stay. Or cash in via trade.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• It's okay. Durant wanted out because he remembers from his rookie season what it was like to play in front of a home crowd that isn't inbred hillbilly trash. Westbrook never had that experience, so he doesn't know what he's missing. :stirthepot:

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:It's okay. Durant wanted out because he remembers from his rookie season what it was like to play in front of a home crowd that isn't inbred hillbilly trash. Westbrook never had that experience, so he doesn't know what he's missing. :stirthepot:

LOL!
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• This is great, they extend Westbrook now they're good enough to not get a lottery pick but not good enough to win a title. I call this a success
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:45 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information