Top 5 Hoops Recruit Michael Porter Jr Chooses Washington

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Big time get by Romar. You can hate on Romar all you want, but he has been recruiting his ass off the last couple years. Porter Jr is a consensus top 5 player for his class of 2017, but many believe he can be #1. He is currently ranked #2 by 24/7 sports. He will be playing his senior season for Nathan Hale under new head coach Brandon Roy. This wasn't a huge surprise though, as his younger brother Jontay has committed to UW for the 2018 season, his Dad was hired to the UW coaching staff, and Romar is his godfather.

Landed our best class ever last year with Murray, Chriss, Thybulle, and Dickerson.

This upcoming year we have 5-star player Markelle Fultz coming in who is expected to be a top 3 pick in the 2017 NBA draft.

And lets keep the "Romar sucks" comments to a minimum. They're old and he isn't going anywhere. So we can whine about Romar all we want but there is zero chance he gets fired now that we have this kid coming to us in a year.

[youtube]t2pbrHR3LCM[/youtube]

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":j2cd6i18 said:
He's building himself a nice little NIT team.
I was gonna be a little less harsh and just ask if this would be enough to get them to the point that they can actually beat Gonzaga
.oh wait, they took the Zags off their schedule a couple years back didn't they? Never mind and do carry on.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
They did avoid them for 9 years, but they played this past season. And UW travels to gonzaga this upcoming season. December 7.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3mikwwnk said:
They did avoid them for 9 years, but they played this past season. And UW travels to gonzaga this upcoming season. December 7.
I believe they only played this most recent season cuz they were in the same Holiday tournament. Good to hear they're finally scheduling the Zags again. Gonzaga may be down next year so maybe the Huskies will beat them.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":16mrjjhk said:
JSeahawks":16mrjjhk said:
I believe they only played this most recent season cuz they were in the same Holiday tournament. Good to hear they're finally scheduling the Zags again. Gonzaga may be down next year so maybe the Huskies will beat them.
If you think it was UQ avoiding Gonzaga, you don't truly understand the history of what went on for the two teams to part ways...

But back to Porter, huge get. Roman is on fire right now, what is that? The 4th commit in last 2 weeks? And he's definitely not done

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Talent has not been the problem for Romar, but it was definitely a problem right after Wroten and Ross left. UW Hoops had a small 2-3 year drought where I think Romar struck out on a lot of recruits. There is no doubt he has had his best run in recruiting the past two years. Even better than the years when he was landing guys like Brockman, Isaiah Thomas and Pondexter. Prior to Fultz and Porter Jr, Romar has never landed a top 5 guy. And just a week or two ago he landed Jaylen Nowell who is considered one of the top 3 guys in the state of Washington for 2017.

I think next year UW makes the dance, but I think 2017 will be the year they can make a serious run. If Fultz comes back (he most likely won't) to play with Porter Jr, we would likely be one of the favorites to win it all.

kearly

Reaction score
UW is to Pac-12 hoops what UCLA is to Pac-12 football.

Tical21

Reaction score
It's cool and all, but I am not terribly optimistic that this ever comes to fruition.

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":3lqeof56 said:
It's cool and all, but I am not terribly optimistic that this ever comes to fruition.

With all the connections he has at UW it would surprise me if he backed out of the commitment. Also, UW for all it's problems has helped a lot of players get drafted in the NBA draft.

More realistically, he will come here and play, then UW will collapse again to miss the tournament, and he'll end up a top 5 pick in the NBA after yet another UW season the fans will want to forget.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":1ja7tmg8 said:
More realistically, he will come here and play, then UW will collapse again to miss the tournament, and he'll end up a top 5 pick in the NBA after yet another UW season the fans will want to forget.
My guess as well.

Tical21

Reaction score
brettb3":16dgr1zs said:
Tical21":16dgr1zs said:
Why?
I'm not terribly optimistic that Romar is still here by 2017, which would leave Porter's father looking for a new job and team for his two sons, unless maybe somehow Roy is given the job. I dunno, do you think we're a tournament team this year? Wouldn't we have to be in order for Romar to still be here by 2017?

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Tical21":q62101va said:
brettb3":q62101va said:
Tical21":q62101va said:
Why?
I'm not terribly optimistic that Romar is still here by 2017, which would leave Porter's father looking for a new job and team for his two sons, unless maybe somehow Roy is given the job. I dunno, do you think we're a tournament team this year? Wouldn't we have to be in order for Romar to still be here by 2017?

He will be here. You don't fire a guy who has a top 3 recruiting class and a top 5 player coming in. Fire Romar and the program takes a major step back.

UW isn't done. Rumors are that they are trying to land either 5-star guard Trae Young (Porter Jr's HS teammate) or Bamba who is also 5-star who MPJ knows. It may sound crazy, but UW could have the #1 recruiting class for 2017.

As much as Romar sucks at coaching, his teams do well when he has talent. There is no doubt he has talent for the next two years. I honestly think something special is brewing in Montlake. It will take some time for people to come around as the program has been lousy for quite some time, but people will eventually come around.

Tical21

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":kckqhnb2 said:
Tical21":kckqhnb2 said:
brettb3":kckqhnb2 said:
Tical21":kckqhnb2 said:
Why?

He will be here. You don't fire a guy who has a top 3 recruiting class and a top 5 player coming in. Fire Romar and the program takes a major step back.

UW isn't done. Rumors are that they are trying to land either 5-star guard Trae Young (Porter Jr's HS teammate) or Bamba who is also 5-star who MPJ knows. It may sound crazy, but UW could have the #1 recruiting class for 2017.

As much as Romar sucks at coaching, his teams do well when he has talent. There is no doubt he has talent for the next two years. I honestly think something special is brewing in Montlake. It will take some time for people to come around as the program has been lousy for quite some time, but people will eventually come around.
If he doesn't make the tournament this year, he's done. Recruiting be damned. He knows it, everybody over there knows it. #2 player in the country or whatever. It's all a waste of time if we can't make the tournament. He would have been fired after last season by 90% of the universities in the country. One of the 15 most talented teams in the country, and you don't even make the tournament? He'll have one of the 25 most talented rosters in the country again this season. You don't get to dodge that bullet twice.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tical21":2nkpju0u said:
Hawk-Lock":2nkpju0u said:
Tical21":2nkpju0u said:
If he doesn't make the tournament this year, he's done. Recruiting be damned. He knows it, everybody over there knows it. #2 player in the country or whatever. It's all a waste of time if we can't make the tournament. He would have been fired after last season by 90% of the universities in the country. One of the 15 most talented teams in the country, and you don't even make the tournament? He'll have one of the 25 most talented rosters in the country again this season. You don't get to dodge that bullet twice.

Noooooooo!!! He must stay!

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
The NCAA system is hilarious. Paying players directly is an abomination on "amateurism," but go ahead and pay their dads to come and hang out at practice and whatnot. (Feels like there should be a *wink* after that.) The acceptability of workarounds like this is SMH funny.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm just telling you facts. He isn't going anywhere, even if they miss the NCAA's this year. No AD will turn their back on a kid who could be the next Durant. I don't think people in here understand how big of a player Michael Porter Jr is. DeJounte Murray wasn't even in the top 25. Top 5 ranked kids pretty much only go to Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc. This kid alone will get UW a lot of television time.

Here's the thing with Romar, he should have been fired 3-5 years ago. When he actually deserved to be fired. When he wasn't recruiting or doing anything. But he is recruiting at a higher level than 95% of schools right now. He is recruiting on the level of elite programs like the ones I listed above. If he were to get fired now, it wouldn't be fair. But I would have had zero problem with him getting canned anytime between 2011-2014.