Ken Griffey Jr hall of fame

86Hawk

Reaction score
Just watched his speech and have never seen him that emotional. We were lucky to watch his greatness. Congrats to the kid. :irishdrinkers:

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
That was awesome. I went to mlb.com to see exactly what time it was happening and they just started streaming Lou Piniella's intro. The speech had my wife and me in tears. Junior is the very definition of a Hall of Famer. He embodies everything I loved about baseball growing up. Great day.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Great speech. Loved him saying "Damn proud to be a Seattle Mariner" and putting on the backwards cap at the end of it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Was not able to see it but will on YTube.He is a big part of why Seattle still has baseball and will always be a Mariner.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
It was a great speech, but did anyone find it a bit odd he didn't mention Lou Pinella once?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think he was so caught up in the moment. He said very little about anyone individual outside of his family, you have a limited time to speak and from I hear it's a very emotional and draining experience. Public speaking is very difficult for most folks.

The speech will be re-run on Root Sports at 7:30pm tonight.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3ia2s7rn said:
I think he was so caught up in the moment. He said very little about anyone individual outside of his family, you have a limited time to speak and from I hear it's a very emotional and draining experience. Public speaking is very difficult for most folks.

The speech will be re-run on Root Sports at 7:30pm tonight.

But at the same time he was reading from a piece of paper, so it was pre-written. Not to mention he thanked his high school coaches and a lot of others including Randy Johnson, Buhner and Edgar. I just thought it was a little weird he didn't mention Lou Pinella once.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
No one els found it a little odd he never mentioned Lou? I don't know why I'm so hung up on it, but he mentioned literally everyone he should have except Pinella.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3sk98tc7 said:
No one els found it a little odd he never mentioned Lou? I don't know why I'm so hung up on it, but he mentioned literally everyone he should have except Pinella.
Like I said in a previous post, I think it was an oversight. I don't think he mentioned Jackie Robinson either, which I knew Griff had a ton of respect for.

253hawk

Reaction score
I still want to know who the 3 geniuses were that didn't give him their vote.

Rob12

Reaction score
Best player ever in my mind. Heavily biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":etmbpdus said:
Hawk-Lock":etmbpdus said:
Like I said in a previous post, I think it was an oversight. I don't think he mentioned Jackie Robinson either, which I knew Griff had a ton of respect for.

Nor did I hear him mention Dave Niehaus. I thought they were supposed to be pretty close. Junior was the first one to call Dave when it was announced that Dave had been awarded the Ford C. Frick Award by the hall.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
BlueThunder":2oc104ou said:
Sports Hernia":2oc104ou said:
Hawk-Lock":2oc104ou said:

Nor did I hear him mention Dave Niehaus. I thought they were supposed to be pretty close. Junior was the first one to call Dave when it was announced that Dave had been awarded the Ford C. Frick Award by the hall.
Someone on KJR today thought that he skipped a page of his thank you's.

I think his speech when he speaks at his HOF/number retirement ceromony at Safeco, will be smoother and more complete.

Tical21

Reaction score
It was really special because you just never see him get emotional, but it really was a pretty terrible speech as these things go. And the artist of his plaque needs to be replaced immediately.