Alex Roidriguez to retire

IndyHawk

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1723 ... me-adviser
Finally he is done!I can remember very well how people said Seattle couldn't afford to keep him and threw it in my face like it was funny.The fact was he wanted out and got the biggest money to do it.The times he got caught cheating which tainted his numbers made me glad he wasn't a Mariner.I see he's crying ect .I like to think thats shame but oh well he can go join Barry/Mac on watching the HOF pass him by.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":4bsdqyfy said:
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17238209/alex-rodriguez-play-final-game-new-york-yankees-friday-become-adviser
Finally he is done!I can remember very well how people said Seattle couldn't afford to keep him and threw it in my face like it was funny.The fact was he wanted out and got the biggest money to do it.The times he got caught cheating which tainted his numbers made me glad he wasn't a Mariner.I see he's crying ect .I like to think thats shame but oh well he can go join Barry/Mac on watching the HOF pass him by.
The steroid/HGH business just took a huge hit with him retiring.

kearly

Reaction score
It seems weird to me that the voters punish the biggest stars from the steroid era as if they were the only ones doping. During the 90s and oughts you probably had as many players doping as you did NFL players smoking weed.

Putting an asterisk next to their numbers is fine, but for guys like A-Rod, Bonds, and Clemens, they are all clearly HoF players, because they separated themselves from their peers by such an astronomical amount, even though many if not most of their peers were also doping during that time in the game.

I get that baseball likes making examples of guys (like Pete Rose) but it still seems kind of weak to me. The Hall of Fame should be about acknowledging the greatest players, even if they weren't the greatest human beings. If you think cheating was the difference between them being a Hall of Famer or not (Rafael Palmeiro, etc) then fine, but in some of these cases the guys were clearly HoF players with or without the extra help.

As far as A-Rod goes, he's the classic kind of guy we all know who thinks that having riches, a big house, a nice car, and a hot girlfriend define life. Sadly this mindset describes a huge number of men, maybe even a majority of men. So while I don't like that side of A-Rod, I find it to be utterly typical. Tom Brady is another guy like this. And part of me wonders if maybe even Russell has a little of this in him.

I don't subscribe to that kind of life philosophy, but I don't really see it as much of a reason to hate a guy either. A-Rod used his collectively bargained rights and found another team that would pay what he wanted. He pursued material goals. But it's not like he's the only person that has made these kinds of decisions, if anything they are all too typical. If it seems like this is more applicable to A-Rod than most, then that's mostly because A-Rod is a superstar and a media magnet, particularly after being traded to New York.

chris98251

Reaction score
"It's not about the Money" He could have pretty much did all his crap and just left Seattle without stating that and most would have been pissed but eventually let it go. 250 million to go to Texas was crazy money, he could have said it's business and I am making a business decision but will always love Seattle or something and the Hate would not have been on the level it is here.

The Steroid shit is cheating, those doing it changed the playing field level, effectively taking baseball and making the parks they played in softball fields for hitters, effectively taking softballs and swapping them out for hardballs for pitchers juiced.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2swut2ty said:
"It's not about the Money" He could have pretty much did all his crap and just left Seattle without stating that and most would have been pissed but eventually let it go. 250 million to go to Texas was crazy money, he could have said it's business and I am making a business decision but will always love Seattle or something and the Hate would not have been on the level it is here.

The Steroid shit is cheating, those doing it changed the playing field level, effectively taking baseball and making the parks they played in softball fields for hitters, effectively taking softballs and swapping them out for hardballs for pitchers juiced.
I agree with Kearly that Bonds and Clemens were HOFs before they cheated.ARoid was rumored to have cheated since high school and in Mariners minors as well.I really don't know where ARoid would be had he not cheated because he did some serious roids.All those balls that barely cleared the fence and should have been doubles,more at bats feeling full power,reaction time faster to catch up to any fast ball and the mental side being sharper to see pitches better are all benefits of cheating.Barry/Big Mac/Sosa and Palmerio all had lot better averages/power while on roids so it is proven.I'm sorry but you cheat the game-you get no hall of fame thats the price you pay.You see the game today and the players are hitting more like the 70-80's I can tell the difference and I like it that way better than the WWF stuff.

Hawker

Reaction score
Never hated the guy. Just wished we had him longer. Any one of us would have taken that 250 million - I don't fault him for leaving for money. So many athletes in all team sports go after the big pay day.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":951lvnt6 said:
It seems weird to me that the voters punish the biggest stars from the steroid era as if they were the only ones doping. During the 90s and oughts you probably had as many players doping as you did NFL players smoking weed.

Putting an asterisk next to their numbers is fine, but for guys like A-Rod, Bonds, and Clemens, they are all clearly HoF players, because they separated themselves from their peers by such an astronomical amount, even though many if not most of their peers were also doping during that time in the game.

I get that baseball likes making examples of guys (like Pete Rose) but it still seems kind of weak to me. The Hall of Fame should be about acknowledging the greatest players, even if they weren't the greatest human beings. If you think cheating was the difference between them being a Hall of Famer or not (Rafael Palmeiro, etc) then fine, but in some of these cases the guys were clearly HoF players with or without the extra help.

As far as A-Rod goes, he's the classic kind of guy we all know who thinks that having riches, a big house, a nice car, and a hot girlfriend define life. Sadly this mindset describes a huge number of men, maybe even a majority of men. So while I don't like that side of A-Rod, I find it to be utterly typical. Tom Brady is another guy like this. And part of me wonders if maybe even Russell has a little of this in him.

I don't subscribe to that kind of life philosophy, but I don't really see it as much of a reason to hate a guy either. A-Rod used his collectively bargained rights and found another team that would pay what he wanted. He pursued material goals. But it's not like he's the only person that has made these kinds of decisions, if anything they are all too typical. If it seems like this is more applicable to A-Rod than most, then that's mostly because A-Rod is a superstar and a media magnet, particularly after being traded to New York.
I'd put all of the steroid abusers in a PED wing of the HOF.

I'd put Pete Rose in with an asterisk.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawker":36t4se9z said:
Never hated the guy. Just wished we had him longer. Any one of us would have taken that 250 million - I don't fault him for leaving for money. So many athletes in all team sports go after the big pay day.
Well that's the whole thing, he said it isn't about money when he announced the deal, which hit everyone's bullshit meter to max.