Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Conor McGregor

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Conor McGregor
Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:16 pm
  • :irishdrinkers: :rumble:

    Now that was a strategy....McGregor used leg kicks and a patient stand up game bloodying Diaz in UFC 202.
    Diaz went down a coupla times Conor didn't drop for the ground and pound leery of the heavier man's ground game.
    It was a good fight. While Diaz never gave up, he never controlled the fight or demonstrated a good plan. Conor gassed for a bit; he was in the most danger at that point. Yet he prevented the take down from the cage.

    Diaz actually thought he was going to win the decision that went five rounds.....it must have been all his blood he saw all over Conor that convinced him of that?

    http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17358061

    Oh my.....the excuses....
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3200
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


Re: Conor McGregor
Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:52 am
  • Conor easily won the first round, rounds 2-4 were pretty close and I think Diaz won round 5. I'm not outraged by the outcome but I could see some people who are heavily involved (or monetarily involved) being upset. I would have called the fight a draw but now we get the trilogy fight which is going to make people a lot of money.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    User avatar
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1740
    Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:26 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: Conor McGregor
Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:32 am
  • I thought McGregor definitely won rounds 1, 2, and 4. He knocked Diaz down three times in the first three two rounds and destroyed his front leg with some vicious leg kicks.

    Round 3 definitely belonged to Diaz. McGregor looked tired and absorbed a bunch of hard shots. The judge who had it tied actually gave Diaz a 10-8 round, which is somewhat mysterious. He never knocked him down, and while he landed a lot of hard shots, I don't think McGregor was ever in jeopardy of being knocked out. If any round should have been 10-8, it was the first round when McGregor knocked Diaz down twice and dominated him with leg kicks.

    Likewise, round 4 was dominated by McGregor. He opened up those cuts around the eyes even more, Diaz could not see, and McGregor capitalized by landing numerous hard shots, elbows, and leg kicks. Diaz could not match his output in this round.

    Round 5 I would have also given to Diaz because of the late takedown. This should have been a fairly easy fight to score. The only thing that complicated it was the mysterious 10-8 round.
    Last edited by hawknation2016 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
    hawknation2016
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1309
    Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:14 pm


Re: Conor McGregor
Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:33 am
  • Is the winner judged by rounds won or total points?
    SeaToTheHawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1512
    Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:15 pm


Re: Conor McGregor
Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:36 am
  • SeaToTheHawks wrote:Is the winner judged by rounds won or total points?


    Points.

    Image
    hawknation2016
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1309
    Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:14 pm


Re: Conor McGregor
Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:29 pm
  • I'm not upset at the decision (because I wanna see a 3rd fight) but I felt it was either a draw or a win for Diaz.

    Diaz landed more strikes, more significant strikes, he controlled the octagon, and he controlled the clinch.

    Unfortunately for Diaz, most people don't understand his style, and it tends to cost him in decisions. The knockdowns determined the fight for the judges. 2 of the 3 knock downs IMO were slips, that had nothing to do with Mcgregor's punches.

    I had Conor winning rounds 1 and 4. I had Diaz winning 2, 3 and 5. Round 2 was incredibly close. I gave the edge to Diaz because he was the aggressor (Conor looked visibly spent, and ran away a lot) and Diaz picked him apart for the final minute and a half on the feet.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1296
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Conor McGregor
Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:28 pm
  • knownone wrote:I'm not upset at the decision (because I wanna see a 3rd fight) but I felt it was either a draw or a win for Diaz.

    Diaz landed more strikes, more significant strikes, he controlled the octagon, and he controlled the clinch.

    Unfortunately for Diaz, most people don't understand his style, and it tends to cost him in decisions. The knockdowns determined the fight for the judges. 2 of the 3 knock downs IMO were slips, that had nothing to do with Mcgregor's punches.

    I had Conor winning rounds 1 and 4. I had Diaz winning 2, 3 and 5. Round 2 was incredibly close. I gave the edge to Diaz because he was the aggressor (Conor looked visibly spent, and ran away a lot) and Diaz picked him apart for the final minute and a half on the feet.


    Looking at the fight as a whole, the significant strikes were basically even: 166 vs. 164. McGregor landed the significant strikes at a higher percentage: 57% vs. 48%. His significant strikes also appeared to inflict way more damage.

    The leg kicks, which you are forgetting, were the literal and figurative kicker. McGregor landed 40 of 45 vicious leg kicks. Diaz did very little to adjust or check these. Diaz landed just 9 of 16 kicks. The three knockdowns in rounds one and two came from a combination of taking away Diaz's leg and landing pinpoint strikes on the chin.

    McGregor dominated the first three minutes of the second round, demolishing that lead leg, which led to the 3rd knockdown, and opening up cuts across Diaz's face. McGregor then burned himself out trying to finish Diaz in that round, and Diaz ended the final minute and a half in total control. IMO, that was not enough to overcome the damage McGregor inflicted for the majority of the round. To wit, all three judges scored the second round for McGregor.

    The fight was won in the 4th round. McGregor regained some energy, and went back to his strategy of blistering the leg and finding openings for his left hand. He dominated the round (46 of 76 significant strikes) and thus clearly won the fight.

    Anyway, it was a great fight. McGregor managed to achieve what he set out to achieve, which was to soundly beat a much bigger opponent.
    hawknation2016
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1309
    Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:14 pm


Re: Conor McGregor
Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:44 pm
  • Yes, it was a good fight for the UFC. Personally, I prefer the stand up game to the ground submission game.

    I dont feel Conor owes Diaz any special treatment and the UFC can "sit" on this rematch for awhile.

    Think Conor needs to go back to his preferred weight that he dominates in. As an Irishman myself I am now at 160lbs and five foot seven. haha.
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3200
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


Re: Conor McGregor
Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:40 am
  • hawknation2016 wrote:
    knownone wrote:I'm not upset at the decision (because I wanna see a 3rd fight) but I felt it was either a draw or a win for Diaz.

    Diaz landed more strikes, more significant strikes, he controlled the octagon, and he controlled the clinch.

    Unfortunately for Diaz, most people don't understand his style, and it tends to cost him in decisions. The knockdowns determined the fight for the judges. 2 of the 3 knock downs IMO were slips, that had nothing to do with Mcgregor's punches.

    I had Conor winning rounds 1 and 4. I had Diaz winning 2, 3 and 5. Round 2 was incredibly close. I gave the edge to Diaz because he was the aggressor (Conor looked visibly spent, and ran away a lot) and Diaz picked him apart for the final minute and a half on the feet.


    Looking at the fight as a whole, the significant strikes were basically even: 166 vs. 164. McGregor landed the significant strikes at a higher percentage: 57% vs. 48%. His significant strikes also appeared to inflict way more damage.

    The leg kicks, which you are forgetting, were the literal and figurative kicker. McGregor landed 40 of 45 vicious leg kicks. Diaz did very little to adjust or check these. Diaz landed just 9 of 16 kicks. The three knockdowns in rounds one and two came from a combination of taking away Diaz's leg and landing pinpoint strikes on the chin.

    McGregor dominated the first three minutes of the second round, demolishing that lead leg, which led to the 3rd knockdown, and opening up cuts across Diaz's face. McGregor then burned himself out trying to finish Diaz in that round, and Diaz ended the final minute and a half in total control. IMO, that was not enough to overcome the damage McGregor inflicted for the majority of the round. To wit, all three judges scored the second round for McGregor.

    The fight was won in the 4th round. McGregor regained some energy, and went back to his strategy of blistering the leg and finding openings for his left hand. He dominated the round (46 of 76 significant strikes) and thus clearly won the fight.

    Anyway, it was a great fight. McGregor managed to achieve what he set out to achieve, which was to soundly beat a much bigger opponent.
    IDK how you can say Conor "soundly beat" Diaz and "clearly won the fight" when he won a Majority decision, which is about as close to a draw as possible, outside of split decision.

    Your argument for Conor winning, is the reason I hate MMA judging, and one of the reasons I stopped following the sport.

    I could go on and on about leg kicks, and Conor running, but it just isn't worth the time. I like Conor, I hate Diaz, I still think Diaz won the fight. It was close, I hope their is a rematch soon.

    Slightly off topic... It's funny to see people all over the internet bringing up the size advantage Diaz had over Conor, and how great Conor is for winning. Yet missing the irony in the fact that Conor is 5'9 180 pounds, fighting guys who are 5'7 160 pounds at 145...
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1296
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Conor McGregor
Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:58 am
  • Image

    "Its about the Damage"-Dana White

    Diaz' blood is everywhere. Conor controlled the fight from beginning to end. He imposed his will. :rumble:
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3200
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


Re: Conor McGregor
Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:37 am
  • Atradees wrote:Image

    "Its about the Damage"-Dana White

    Diaz' blood is everywhere. Conor controlled the fight from beginning to end. He imposed his will. :rumble:

    To be fair, the Diaz brothers get cut when their mom kisses them on the cheek. They're a bloody mess every fight.
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9650
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Conor McGregor
Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:02 pm
  • knownone wrote: IDK how you can say Conor "soundly beat" Diaz and "clearly won the fight" when he won a Majority decision, which is about as close to a draw as possible, outside of split decision.

    Your argument for Conor winning, is the reason I hate MMA judging, and one of the reasons I stopped following the sport.

    I could go on and on about leg kicks, and Conor running, but it just isn't worth the time. I like Conor, I hate Diaz, I still think Diaz won the fight. It was close, I hope their is a rematch soon.

    Slightly off topic... It's funny to see people all over the internet bringing up the size advantage Diaz had over Conor, and how great Conor is for winning. Yet missing the irony in the fact that Conor is 5'9 180 pounds, fighting guys who are 5'7 160 pounds at 145...


    When someone in the featherweight class (Aldo?) beats McGregor, they will deserve credit for having beaten a much bigger man. Just as McGregor deserves credit for soundly beating a much bigger man in this fight.

    I just don't know how anyone could give the 2nd round to Diaz, who was dominated for a full three minutes of the round, had his leg destroyed, and was knocked down for the third time. So McGregor burned all his energy and Diaz wailed on him for a minute and a half to end the round . . . that means Diaz won the round? I don't think so.

    It was only a majority decision because one judge mysteriously gave Diaz a 10-8 round in the 3rd. 10-8 when you wail on a tired opponent but don't even knock the guy down? That was the only weird part of the scoring -- and the only thing the judges disagreed on.
    hawknation2016
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1309
    Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:14 pm


Re: Conor McGregor
Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:12 pm
  • Anyone who thinks Diaz won the 2nd round either bet on Diaz, is a Diaz fan or hates McGregor. It's delusional.

    How does anyone score the 3rd 10-8 when Conor wasn't even rocked/dropped/taken down and even landed some good shots of his own? All Diaz did was throw baby punches in volume and if you watch closely, he actually didn't connect with a lot of them. Because of the power difference, when Diaz lands on McGregor, it isn't as significant as when McGregor lands on Diaz.

    Check out the referee's twitter. Takes a lot of questions on the fight. He says the judges got it right except for the 10-8 Diaz round. https://twitter.com/JohnMcCarthyMMA?ref ... r%5Eauthor

    R1 10-9 McGregor
    R2 10-9 McGregor
    R3 10-9 Diaz
    R4 10-9 McGregor
    R5 10-9 Diaz
    massari
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 987
    Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:58 am


Re: Conor McGregor
Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:22 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    I could go on and on about leg kicks, and Conor running


    Please do. What about leg kicks?

    You call it running but it's actually called resetting to gain time and distance. Many fighters including Alex Gustafsson, Holly Holm, Carlos Condit, Alistair Overeem ect do this. It's a part of fighting.
    massari
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 987
    Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:58 am


Re: Conor McGregor
Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:36 pm
  • I've already stated my opinion on the fight. I'm not here to argue, or listen to people insinuate I'm "delusional" for seeing things differently. It's my opinion. I've trained Boxing and Muay Thai since I was very young. Given my perspective I think Diaz won. I'm not a fan of Diaz. I love what Conor has brought to the sport.

    This was my prediction for the first fight. I'm one of the very few who got it right.
    knownone wrote:Conor actually walks around in the 175-180 range. I don't think size is an issue here. The big issue for Conor is fightinga rangy boxer who is arguably better than Conor with his hands. Conor will need to work on Diaz legs because if he tries to trade punches he's going to get worked. Diaz is a great volume boxer who does well going against fighters who don't try to physically impose their will. Connor isnt strong enough to really wear Diaz down, so it'll be interesting, much closer than the betting line implies.

    Interesting fight. It feels like a trap for CM...


    I brought up leg kicks in that post. I knew that was the only style Conor could use to beat Diaz. If I was Conor's coach. I'd coach him to circle and work the leg, avoid trading punches at all costs. I think Conor wins easily if he does that. Why? Because kicking Diaz lead leg... is like scoring a layup in the NBA when you're the only one on the court. His stance is front heavy, he wades forward, and he very rarely checks kicks. He wants to engage you, and if you stay away from him, he will chase. MMA judging encourages this lack of fighting, and we've seen many people win fights only legging kicking, boring to watch but MMA allows it. Luckily for us as fans Conor didn't do this the whole fight.

    Diaz is a world class boxer. You might think his punches don't have power, and that is exactly what Diaz wants you to think. This is skill. World class strikers don't put power into every punch. It's exhausting, and a great way to gas yourself. What Diaz is doing is establishing range, while trying to lull Conor into a sense of security. Make him think he can handle your punches, getting him to lower his guard. In boxing we call this "pitter patter pitter patter POWER" and it's one of the easiest ways to knock out inexperienced fighters while sparing. A tactic he used brilliantly against Donald Cerrone.


    The fight with Cerrone is a great comparison for this fight. Cerrone knocked Diaz down multiple times, and Diaz never dropped Cerrone, however Diaz clearly won the fight. The biggest difference between the 2 fights? Cerrone didn't run away, he fought Diaz. Conor fought to survive. If you implement a rule that docks points for time wasting wasting, Conor probably doesn't leave the 3rd round on his feet.

    In every other combat sport you are docked a point for turning your back to an opponent. People are parroting the word "reestablishing position" without actually knowing what that means. In muay thai you reestablish position by circling to the center, you cannot and do not turn your back and jog away. That is consider time wasting, do it more than once and you lose a point. This is true of boxing, and kick boxing as well. Conor did it 12 times in the fight, and wasted 4 minutes of fighting. This is an issue. If we are going to stand fighters up for laying on top of guys, then you've got to take points away when fighters are actively avoiding the fight.

    I said in my initial post that I felt round 2 was close. Diaz landed more significant strikes to the head, by a wide margin. He landed more total strikes, while most of Conor's strikes landed were unchecked leg kicks. From my perspective, Diaz won that round. That's my opinion, it is what it is.

    Even if you think a 10-8 round is wrong. Winning a fight 3 rounds to 2 is not "soundly beating" someone. It's still a close fight.

    I have big issues with MMA judging. I don't think a combat sport with multiple disciplines should be judged by rounds. I think knockdowns and takedowns should be judged on an individual basis. I don't think perception should play a role in who wins. What I mean by perception, is blood, cuts, ect. Someone like Nate who has a lot of scar tissue is gonna look much worse than someone without scar tissue, that is not indicative of who is winning the fight, thus it should not play a role in who you think is winning the fight.

    Guys like Diaz, Maia, and Gonzalez, are known for going down to weak punches on purpose, in an attempt to lull you into going to ground with them. It's my belief, that Diaz did that in this fight. IMO he at no point looked like he was going to be finished... He looked like Nate Diaz. There is a reason Conor didn't even attempt to go to ground with Diaz. If Diaz was actually hurt, why not go for the finish? Why did Diaz stand up immediately every time? Why did Diaz scoot to try entice Conor to the ground... because he wasn't hurt. It's a mind game, something Diaz is really good at.

    MMA judging rewards point fighting, and it's ruining the sport, a sport that I love.

    I'll finish on this. I thought Diaz won. I'm not upset Conor won, the fight was close. We all have different perspectives on the topic, but it's important to remember that none of us are wrong. Seahawks.net is a great community. If we want to continue to grow this community, we can not resort to calling people with disagree with "delusional". It doesn't bother me personally, but I know it prevents people from expressing their own opinions, because they don't want to be talked down to. I'm sure that wasn't your intent. Just keep that in mind, focus on the facts that support your opinion, and let others decide who they agree with.

    Thanks.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1296
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Conor McGregor
Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:37 pm
  • Good find.

    hawknation2016
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1309
    Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:14 pm


Re: Conor McGregor
Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:42 pm
  • Not trying to be a jerk but after skimming through your post, it does seem you're being delusional considering you scored the fight based off how you think fights should be scored and how other sports are scored instead of how MMA/UFC is scored.

    Also, you say Diaz wasn't hurt at any point? Another delusion. Even before the first knockdown in the first round, he gets tagged and is clearly wobbly but doesn't fall. About a minute or so later he gets dropped for the first time.

    Why would Conor go to ground with a legit BJJ black belt? Even when you're rocked like Diaz, you can still get a hold of a limb. He wanted the fight standing where he was dominating before he gassed out.

    Overall, McGregor hurt Diaz more than Diaz hurt McGregor, despite being gassed out for 3 and a half rounds. The referee said he was never close to stopping the fight when Diaz had McGregor against the cage in the 3rd round. I'm sure a lot of people confused his fatigue with being stunned by Diaz punches but the referee wasn't.
    massari
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 987
    Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:58 am


Re: Conor McGregor
Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:49 pm
  • I would question Conor's stamina and perhaps cardio before way before saying this fight was close.
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3200
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


Re: Conor McGregor
Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:32 pm
  • massari wrote:Not trying to be a jerk but after skimming through your post, it does seem you're being delusional considering you scored the fight based off how you think fights should be scored and how other sports are scored instead of how MMA/UFC is scored.

    Also, you say Diaz wasn't hurt at any point? Another delusion. Even before the first knockdown in the first round, he gets tagged and is clearly wobbly but doesn't fall. About a minute or so later he gets dropped for the first time.

    Why would Conor go to ground with a legit BJJ black belt? Even when you're rocked like Diaz, you can still get a hold of a limb. He wanted the fight standing where he was dominating before he gassed out.

    Overall, McGregor hurt Diaz more than Diaz hurt McGregor, despite being gassed out for 3 and a half rounds. The referee said he was never close to stopping the fight when Diaz had McGregor against the cage in the 3rd round. I'm sure a lot of people confused his fatigue with being stunned by Diaz punches but the referee wasn't.

    Delusional... because you disagree? A delusion would be me arguing that Diaz knocked McGregor out, which clearly did not happen. The two of us disagreeing on the results of a majority decision is not a delusion, it's a difference of opinion.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1296
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Conor McGregor
Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:51 pm
  • Connor gassed big time during the middle rounds and was lucky to get through them. At 145/155 he is an absolute beast, but at 170 he is at a big time disadvantage. Nate has never been one to have a rock hard body, but this fight he looked a little more flabby than usual.

    Im glad they are holding off on a 3rd fight as of now. That fight will always be there but I just hope they don't wait too long like Manny/Floyd did.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    User avatar
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2381
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Conor McGregor
Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:36 pm
  • At least Diaz lost on a controversial decision instead of tapping out. It may be 1-1, but he still leads the series.
    User avatar
    253hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3075
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am
    Location: PNW


Re: Conor McGregor
Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:55 am
  • Hopefully now Conor can finally get around to defending the Featherweight title he won last December.
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9650
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD




It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online