2016/2017 Seattle Mariners offseason thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • 4 years of Karns for one year of Dyson?

    Looks like more platoons and no playoffs once again this year.
    Formula for success: Rise early, Work hard, repeat.
    User avatar
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2024
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


  • M's are in win now mode with Cano and Cruz getting older and older. These are good moves. Much quicker team now. But thanks for letting us know M's wont make the playoffs next year. Anything else you can see happening?
    Last edited by Crizilla on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    User avatar
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1920
    Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm
    Location: Kirkland


  • Dyson steals bases, segura as well. The Ms slow outfield has been revamped. The all star in feild completed, two project pitchers replaced...how many game lost by Karnes and walker?

    Oh we are Goin to the playoffs....

    What if Segura has a better year? Nobody asks that question.

    Miranda has a future as a starter.

    There is a bunch of stories needing to play out.

    Dipotos team now..... 100 percent.

    Love these moves personally.

    Are you a major league pitcher John Paxton?

    What improvement can we expect from Gallardo?
    He was at Camden Yards and slightly injured.
    If not he is a salary purge next time.

    The youth movement..

    Vogelbach......

    Gamel and Heredia........

    Seth Smith gone. Lind gone. Lee gone. Gimmicks...one dimensional salary placeholders.
    Image
    Who are the Falcons? What have they done?
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3002
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


  • Hawk_Nation wrote:4 years of Karns for one year of Dyson?

    Looks like more platoons and no playoffs once again this year.

    Karns may have 4 years but what good is that when he sucks?
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2850
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


  • I like these moves. Stealing bases in Safeco is a big deal since hitting homers is hard.

    Walker was a new Peterbuilt with a flat tire. Karnes?....see-ya.
    "Two pumps gets you a baby, three pumps get you a fine."
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 33795
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm


  • The lineup has improved quite a bit now and we're going to have some serious speed on the bases with Segura, Dyson and Martin.

    Starting pitching remains questionable with Felix's decline and an aging Iwakuma at the top of the rotation. Could be a big year for Paxton and Miranda. Maybe Gallardo can regain his prior form-3.38 career ERA against AL West opponents at least. Overall some good moves by Dipoto. Could use another power arm or 2 in the bullpen.
    User avatar
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 763
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 am


  • The 2017 Mariners will be a speedy, hitting & fielding team. If our starters can improve - a lot - upon last year's performance, we are going to threaten for the division title at long last.

    I love the direction Dipoto has taken this team. Hopefully Felix gets back into his #1 starter form.
    "The problem with the internet is, that one can never trust the authenticity of a source." - Abraham Lincoln
    User avatar
    Hawker
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 481
    Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:59 pm
    Location: Pewyallup






  • Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 3105
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


  • Just saw this tweet: 'The best way I can describe Drew Smyly to you is he's basically what Erik Bedard would have been if Erik Bedard wasn't a bitch.'

    Bedard was before my time...is it accurate?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 949
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


  • From what I remember Bedard was one of those robots that showed no emotion, never wanted to talk to the media and would take himself out of games at certain pitch counts. Or at the least he looked bored and unwilling to put in extra work. I could be misremembering though.
    pre·vent de·fense
    n. Football
    A defensive formation in which a team prevents their defense from stopping the other team's offense.
    User avatar
    hannibalking
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 151
    Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:46 pm


  • Bedard was a "5 and dive" guy. Which meant he only wanted to pitch 5 innings and be done.
    A crappy attitude.

    Doesn't bother me that he didn't want to talk to reporters, I wouldn't either.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 21370
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Is Shae Simmons any good?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 949
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


  • Yay Drew Smiley.

    Will Miranda start over gallorado?sp I'm sure.
    Image
    Who are the Falcons? What have they done?
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3002
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


  • Sports Hernia wrote:Bedard was a "5 and dive" guy. Which meant he only wanted to pitch 5 innings and be done.
    A crappy attitude.

    Doesn't bother me that he didn't want to talk to reporters, I wouldn't either.


    Not sure that bothers any fan, but I bet the media hated him for it.
    pre·vent de·fense
    n. Football
    A defensive formation in which a team prevents their defense from stopping the other team's offense.
    User avatar
    hannibalking
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 151
    Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:46 pm


  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Just saw this tweet: 'The best way I can describe Drew Smyly to you is he's basically what Erik Bedard would have been if Erik Bedard wasn't a bitch.'

    Bedard was before my time...is it accurate?

    Ya, it is not a bad comparison but not great either I don't think. Bedard had legit #1 type of stuff. He was a complete puss though. Would only pitch 5 innings and would take himself out after a certain pitch count. Always hurt, kind of just took the contract and did his bare minimum....had zero guts. I don't think Smyly has the same kind of stuff, but he has good stuff and is a very good middle of the rotation arm. Taylor made for this park and new acquired outfield.
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 616
    Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:14 am


  • Smyly should be real solid pitching at Safeco.

    I hate the Rays so much for being cheaper than a $2 hooker.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 10926
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • Hawker wrote:The 2017 Mariners will be a speedy, hitting & fielding team. If our starters can improve - a lot - upon last year's performance, we are going to threaten for the division title at long last.

    I love the direction Dipoto has taken this team. Hopefully Felix gets back into his #1 starter form.


    They're finally building the team to fit the strengths of their ball park. Novel concept.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 10926
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • hannibalking wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Bedard was a "5 and dive" guy. Which meant he only wanted to pitch 5 innings and be done.
    A crappy attitude.

    Doesn't bother me that he didn't want to talk to reporters, I wouldn't either.


    Not sure that bothers any fan, but I bet the media hated him for it.

    Oh they did. Ian Furness would go on a weekly tantrum about it.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 21370
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    Hawker wrote:The 2017 Mariners will be a speedy, hitting & fielding team. If our starters can improve - a lot - upon last year's performance, we are going to threaten for the division title at long last.

    I love the direction Dipoto has taken this team. Hopefully Felix gets back into his #1 starter form.


    They're finally building the team to fit the strengths of their ball park. Novel concept.

    That's exactly right.! They are making moves like JS/PC did with the Hawks when they first arrived.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 21370
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Smyly should thrive in Safeco and Simmons is a power arm to compete for setup duty. Dipoto is on a roll right now. The roster is coming together.
    User avatar
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 763
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 am


  • I think this team is very competitive this year and pushes for a pennant.

    We will go with essentially two #2's and three #3's for the rotation. R-L-R-L-R. Smyly and Gallardo are just what we need in the Safe. Big upgrade with Miranda and others to battle for the 5? Hell yes.

    Upgraded bullpen. Simmons is a great addition. Diaz all season. Let's hope he has the stones for the closer but if not Cishek and others will be available.

    Our lineup is filthy, period. No stress on our rookies to do anything except have solid ABs and maybe they'll be able to develop a little better than the Ackleys and Romeros and Saunders of 2010. We will have the best 1-6 in baseball. It will require something cataclysmic for us to be out of the top3 in runs this year. Lethal on the bases and deadly at the plate with grinders in there at 3-4-5.

    For the same reasons I'm excited about the top of the order...our outfield is greatly improved as well. Should have no less than 2 top-tier defensive OFs in the field essentially every night.

    I honestly think we win the west this season. 93-98 wins. Mark it.
    User avatar
    LoneHawkFan
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 385
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:34 am


  • LoneHawkFan wrote:I think this team is very competitive this year and pushes for a pennant.

    We will go with essentially two #2's and three #3's for the rotation. R-L-R-L-R. Smyly and Gallardo are just what we need in the Safe. Big upgrade with Miranda and others to battle for the 5? Hell yes.

    Upgraded bullpen. Simmons is a great addition. Diaz all season. Let's hope he has the stones for the closer but if not Cishek and others will be available.

    Our lineup is filthy, period. No stress on our rookies to do anything except have solid ABs and maybe they'll be able to develop a little better than the Ackleys and Romeros and Saunders of 2010. We will have the best 1-6 in baseball. It will require something cataclysmic for us to be out of the top3 in runs this year. Lethal on the bases and deadly at the plate with grinders in there at 3-4-5.

    For the same reasons I'm excited about the top of the order...our outfield is greatly improved as well. Should have no less than 2 top-tier defensive OFs in the field essentially every night.

    I honestly think we win the west this season. 93-98 wins. Mark it.



    Love the optimism but i've seen too much Mariners baseball to get too excited.

    What is your thoughts on the lineup?

    Catcher still scares me, as does 1b. do we have one on the roster?

    Can Felix bounce back?

    Does Kuma have another year?

    Was Gallardos garbage year an anomaly or a trend.

    Was Seguras year an outlier (Beltres contract year) can he transition to the AL, and Safeco?

    What's the plan WHEN Paxton hits the DL?

    How will the psyche of Mariners fans handle Walker turning into the top of the line cy young candidate we know he will now that he's gone.
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1149
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    Hawker wrote:The 2017 Mariners will be a speedy, hitting & fielding team. If our starters can improve - a lot - upon last year's performance, we are going to threaten for the division title at long last.

    I love the direction Dipoto has taken this team. Hopefully Felix gets back into his #1 starter form.


    They're finally building the team to fit the strengths of their ball park. Novel concept.


    Yeah I like the changes the Mariners have made... and I do 100% support the Mariners and have since they became my local team in 2011. I'm a Braves/Mariners fan. :)

    My biggest regret as as Mariners fan was in August 2012 I was gonna go to the game on Sunday to see Felix pitch... but the weather was so good I decided to go hiking instead.

    I'm on my way back from Mt. Rainier and heard that he threw a perfect game.
    User avatar
    FalconsFanNW
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 245
    Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:20 am
    Location: Renton, WA (originally Rincon, GA)


  • Just make the play offs. I worry about how big of a mental hurdle this becomes, the more years we go without play offs appearances. We could have extremely talented teams but they might not deal with the pressure of that hurdle.

    With the Seahawks it pretty much feels like nothing to make the play offs, its more about play offs win. Where as a team like the Bills are in a similar situation to the M's.

    Once we make the play offs and that monkey is off our back, anything is possible during that season and future seasons.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 949
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


  • FalconsFanNW wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    Hawker wrote:The 2017 Mariners will be a speedy, hitting & fielding team. If our starters can improve - a lot - upon last year's performance, we are going to threaten for the division title at long last.

    I love the direction Dipoto has taken this team. Hopefully Felix gets back into his #1 starter form.


    They're finally building the team to fit the strengths of their ball park. Novel concept.


    Yeah I like the changes the Mariners have made... and I do 100% support the Mariners and have since they became my local team in 2011. I'm a Braves/Mariners fan. :)

    My biggest regret as as Mariners fan was in August 2012 I was gonna go to the game on Sunday to see Felix pitch... but the weather was so good I decided to go hiking instead.

    I'm on my way back from Mt. Rainier and heard that he threw a perfect game.


    Except he threw his perfect game on a Wednesday.
    User avatar
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 927
    Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm
    Location: Kennewick, WA


  • gowazzu02 wrote:
    LoneHawkFan wrote:I think this team is very competitive this year and pushes for a pennant.

    We will go with essentially two #2's and three #3's for the rotation. R-L-R-L-R. Smyly and Gallardo are just what we need in the Safe. Big upgrade with Miranda and others to battle for the 5? Hell yes.

    Upgraded bullpen. Simmons is a great addition. Diaz all season. Let's hope he has the stones for the closer but if not Cishek and others will be available.

    Our lineup is filthy, period. No stress on our rookies to do anything except have solid ABs and maybe they'll be able to develop a little better than the Ackleys and Romeros and Saunders of 2010. We will have the best 1-6 in baseball. It will require something cataclysmic for us to be out of the top3 in runs this year. Lethal on the bases and deadly at the plate with grinders in there at 3-4-5.

    For the same reasons I'm excited about the top of the order...our outfield is greatly improved as well. Should have no less than 2 top-tier defensive OFs in the field essentially every night.

    I honestly think we win the west this season. 93-98 wins. Mark it.



    Love the optimism but i've seen too much Mariners baseball to get too excited.

    What is your thoughts on the lineup?

    Catcher still scares me, as does 1b. do we have one on the roster?

    Can Felix bounce back?

    Does Kuma have another year?

    Was Gallardos garbage year an anomaly or a trend.

    Was Seguras year an outlier (Beltres contract year) can he transition to the AL, and Safeco?

    What's the plan WHEN Paxton hits the DL?

    How will the psyche of Mariners fans handle Walker turning into the top of the line cy young candidate we know he will now that he's gone.


    I've see the Mariners a lot, too. Last few years they have been very close to the post season twice.

    Here's why I'm optimistic: our Cano-Cruz-Seager core is extremely durable and consistent. Career average years from all three is not unreasonable to expect...only this year we have the speed at the top of the lineup that we didn't have last year. Remember all of the bad baserunning? All of the errors at SS? Seth Smith playing outfield? All of that is gone, replaced by very fast, very athletic ballplayers. Our 3rd OF and 1B will be inexperienced...but they won't need to be studs at the plate and hopefully will develop properly without all of the pressure.

    The speed is the big thing. Segura and Dyson are both dynamic, high impact top-of-the-line base runners. Safeco was made for guys like these- I think they'll transfer just fine. Speed travels on the road as well...And Leonys at the 9? Please.

    Smyly and Gallardo are both ideal pitchers for Safeco. They allow the defense to make plays, which we will be vastly improved at this season. Smyly can make guys miss when he needs to as well. Gallardo will bounce back.

    I think Felix will have a better year again. Not saying he'll be back up to his 93-94 lots of Ks form, but he'll be a better pitcher than he was last year. He'll have to learn to use his command more than his power if he wants to stay in the league anyway.

    All we need to do is win 5-6 more games than we did last season. I think we do it.
    User avatar
    LoneHawkFan
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 385
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:34 am


  • mbtitleist wrote:
    FalconsFanNW wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    Hawker wrote:The 2017 Mariners will be a speedy, hitting & fielding team. If our starters can improve - a lot - upon last year's performance, we are going to threaten for the division title at long last.

    I love the direction Dipoto has taken this team. Hopefully Felix gets back into his #1 starter form.


    They're finally building the team to fit the strengths of their ball park. Novel concept.


    Yeah I like the changes the Mariners have made... and I do 100% support the Mariners and have since they became my local team in 2011. I'm a Braves/Mariners fan. :)

    My biggest regret as as Mariners fan was in August 2012 I was gonna go to the game on Sunday to see Felix pitch... but the weather was so good I decided to go hiking instead.

    I'm on my way back from Mt. Rainier and heard that he threw a perfect game.


    Except he threw his perfect game on a Wednesday.



    LOL Yup it was a Wed Ill always remember cause I took a month sebatacle before starting a new job. Wife text me that morning, too bad you started work M's have a day game today, would of been fun to go to......

    Next thing you know,,, history.
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1149
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


  • LoneHawkFan wrote:
    gowazzu02 wrote:
    LoneHawkFan wrote:I think this team is very competitive this year and pushes for a pennant.

    We will go with essentially two #2's and three #3's for the rotation. R-L-R-L-R. Smyly and Gallardo are just what we need in the Safe. Big upgrade with Miranda and others to battle for the 5? Hell yes.

    Upgraded bullpen. Simmons is a great addition. Diaz all season. Let's hope he has the stones for the closer but if not Cishek and others will be available.

    Our lineup is filthy, period. No stress on our rookies to do anything except have solid ABs and maybe they'll be able to develop a little better than the Ackleys and Romeros and Saunders of 2010. We will have the best 1-6 in baseball. It will require something cataclysmic for us to be out of the top3 in runs this year. Lethal on the bases and deadly at the plate with grinders in there at 3-4-5.

    For the same reasons I'm excited about the top of the order...our outfield is greatly improved as well. Should have no less than 2 top-tier defensive OFs in the field essentially every night.

    I honestly think we win the west this season. 93-98 wins. Mark it.



    Love the optimism but i've seen too much Mariners baseball to get too excited.

    What is your thoughts on the lineup?

    Catcher still scares me, as does 1b. do we have one on the roster?

    Can Felix bounce back?

    Does Kuma have another year?

    Was Gallardos garbage year an anomaly or a trend.

    Was Seguras year an outlier (Beltres contract year) can he transition to the AL, and Safeco?

    What's the plan WHEN Paxton hits the DL?

    How will the psyche of Mariners fans handle Walker turning into the top of the line cy young candidate we know he will now that he's gone.


    I've see the Mariners a lot, too. Last few years they have been very close to the post season twice.

    Here's why I'm optimistic: our Cano-Cruz-Seager core is extremely durable and consistent. Career average years from all three is not unreasonable to expect...only this year we have the speed at the top of the lineup that we didn't have last year. Remember all of the bad baserunning? All of the errors at SS? Seth Smith playing outfield? All of that is gone, replaced by very fast, very athletic ballplayers. Our 3rd OF and 1B will be inexperienced...but they won't need to be studs at the plate and hopefully will develop properly without all of the pressure.

    The speed is the big thing. Segura and Dyson are both dynamic, high impact top-of-the-line base runners. Safeco was made for guys like these- I think they'll transfer just fine. Speed travels on the road as well...And Leonys at the 9? Please.

    Smyly and Gallardo are both ideal pitchers for Safeco. They allow the defense to make plays, which we will be vastly improved at this season. Smyly can make guys miss when he needs to as well. Gallardo will bounce back.

    I think Felix will have a better year again. Not saying he'll be back up to his 93-94 lots of Ks form, but he'll be a better pitcher than he was last year. He'll have to learn to use his command more than his power if he wants to stay in the league anyway.

    All we need to do is win 5-6 more games than we did last season. I think we do it.




    Is Dyson an every day guy? He never was an every day guy with KC. Lord I hope we get another healthy year out of the big three. 2 of the 3 of them are getting up there in years and losing either would severely hurt us.

    Is Segura an upgrade defensively?

    I really hope Felix bounces back, almost think we should disable the radar gun when he's out there. Don't want him looking at that, rather he focus on the movement and painting the black.

    Hope springs eternal anyway...
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1149
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


  • LoneHawkFan wrote:All we need to do is win 5-6 more games than we did last season. I think we do it.


    Not even that. We only missed the playoffs by a game or 2 last season.

    I agree with you though. The M's have been heartbreakingly close to the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years, but just couldn't quite get there. I think they see the postseason this year.
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2212
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


  • gowazzu02 wrote:LOL Yup it was a Wed Ill always remember cause I took a month sebatacle before starting a new job. Wife text me that morning, too bad you started work M's have a day game today, would of been fun to go to......

    Next thing you know,,, history.


    I had to listen to it on the radio at work. Sadly I didn't have it on DVR either so I didn't get to go home and watch it. The only reason I remember that it was on a Wednesday is because I play in a golf league on Wednesdays after work and that's all we could talk about while we were sitting around enjoying a few beers before the round started.

    It wasn't all bad though. Listening to it on the radio meant I was able to listen to Rizzs instead of Simms.
    User avatar
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 927
    Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Previous


It is currently Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online