Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2016/2017 Seattle Mariners offseason thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • ya i like that one too. I'll take any of the 3 first designs over the current ones. Best M's memories are from the current ones but this franchise needs a clean slate and new look/feel. So far management is looking like an improvement. Maybe a design change can spark something special like it did with the Seahawks
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    User avatar
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2252
    Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm
    Location: Kirkland


  • Kennedyin92 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:Spring training hats have the retro logo. Wonder if they'll change to that for their primary hat logo? I like the compass but I wouldn't mind swapping out the S logo

    That original logo (the blue and gold the trident m) which I've never liked, only lasted 2 years. Seattle hosted the all-star game in 1979 and had a better logo IMHO With the trident M coming out of the star. Just one guy's opinion of course. 8)


    I'm not fond of the Trident either and I don't think we're alone, considering that they only used it for two years. My personal favorite (probably for nostalgia reasons only) is the gold "S" from 1987-1992.

    The thing with me is gold or yellow looks like crap period..I never understood why they could not do the trident or S in silver..When I was a junior Mariner I can remember getting a wrist sweatband that was all gold with a blue trident in the center.That looked pretty good compared to the hat of that day..
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3208
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


  • Personally, I've always thought the M's need to completely overhaul their logos, uniforms and other insignias. When it comes to image, the M's need a new one as having essentially the same uniforms and logo for 24 years has grown stale...just like the organization itself.

    I've never understood why they have kept the current uniforms for so long. It simply conjures up memories of continuous losing and frustration and never looked that great to begin with. I like the blues and the green, but it's really time for a new look. It's not as if we're the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers or Cardinals with some absolute classic look and tradition.
    User avatar
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1543
    Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 am


  • I agree with the changing the logo and image. Anytime you have a sports franchise as bad as the M's, I don't think you can go wrong with a makeover. You've seen it done with other struggling franchises in the past. The Clippers did it just a few years ago when they finally got good.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3431
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I agree with the changing the logo and image. Anytime you have a sports franchise as bad as the M's, I don't think you can go wrong with a makeover. You've seen it done with other struggling franchises in the past. The Clippers did it just a few years ago when they finally got good.

    Look what it did for the Hawks! Championship! :2thumbs:

    I actually like the M's dark jerseys with "Seattle" on the front, they are a bit different from the normal whites or grays.
    The Sunday jerseys are different as well.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23038
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • gowazzu02 wrote:
    xgeoff wrote:Overall I'm not a fan of the roster re-work. The first move that I feel really hurt the team was the Mike Montgomery trade for Dan Vogelbach at the end of last year. I would have made Montgomery a core piece of my bullpen. Having a lefty middle reliever who could also give you quality starts when a starter gets injured is an amazing asset. To give him up for a platoon 1b who is a defensive liability is foolish.

    Moving on to the rest of the needs that the Mariners had, I would have put them in this order:
    -- 1b
    -- starting pitching depth
    --Corner Outfielder

    I don't think Danny Valencia and Dan Vogelbach are the answer. I'm not even sure they are an upgrade over last year's platoon.

    In terms of pitching depth, I was vehemently against the Taijuan Walker trade. This gave us a huge hole in the rotation and although I like Jean Segura, I am not convinced he will replicate his numbers from last year. If he doesn't, then he's not a huge upgrade over Marte and O'malley. I would have stuck with O'Malley, personally. The kid brought great energy to the team, made things happen on the base paths and was excellent defensively.

    The Smyly acquisition is ho-hum to me. I see him as this year's nathan karns. Gallardo has more potential in my opinion. Is also a wait and see. All in all, I am very worried about the backend of the rotation. I think Felix will bounce back, Kuma will be steady, Paxton should excel. The rest, I'm worried about.

    On the corner outfielders, I like Jarrod Dyson. I think that was a great trade. Karns was a huge disappointment and the fact we got a quality outfielder for him was a steal. Haniger looks good, but does not look differentiated from from Ben Gamel and Guillermo Heredia to me. So I love that we now have 5 fast defensive outfielders but not at the expense of the starting rotation. And we still need help at 1b.

    Catcher has been a bit baffling to me. Frankly, I was pretty excited about how well Jesus Sucre played at the end of last year. Pairing him with Zunino would be a good combo IMO, at least as good as Iannetta and Zunino last year. And better than that piece of crap Clevenger. And better than Carlos Ruiz as well. Sometimes I just shake my head at what the Mariners do, and getting Ruiz and optioning Sucre is one of those moves.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk





    As a Mariner fan who has seen everything not work for almost two decades now I understand the jaded attitude.

    Im not sure what DP saw in Vogelbach, I hope he can rake. We need a 1b that can actually hit.

    I think you're underselling Smyly a bit. He has great stuff. I think putting him in Safeco is going to turn him into a border line 2.

    I think the outfield "run prevention" is something people aren't giving credit to. Last year how many times did Aoki or Smith mis play a ball? For as much work as Leonis did the other 2 outfielders were sub par. Now all 3 are elite athletes. That should help alot.

    Also hopefully Segura is a better defender then Ketel? Who seemed to shrink when the lights were their brightest. Who had the perfect game late that he screwed up with a easy play boot???

    I think the lineup looks good. Last year we scored runs, we just fell off the cliff in the Pen and rotation. I like the way the rotation looks right now at Felix, Paxton, Kuma, Smyly, Gallardo, Miranda

    The pen is still a huge question mark, but honestly thats kinda the way the pen works in the big leagues unless you are a big spender. So hopefully some kid we never heard of that has a cannon shows himself and we can pair him with Diaz.


    I'm not completely jaded. There are some good things here. I like Segura, but I don't think ss was a huge need. I agree that defensively it will be great to have defensive outfielders. But we had heredia and gamel already. We didn't need haniger.

    It looks to me like we now have an outfield full of .200 hitters. We'll see. I hope you're right about the rotation.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Fire Tom Cable
    User avatar
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1213
    Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:45 pm





  • Hells yes.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3592
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


  • In a couple days,it's time to play some ball...Go M's!!! Why not us this year?
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3208
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


  • IndyHawk wrote:In a couple days,it's time to play some ball...Go M's!!! Why not us this year?

    There is no reasons with the additions that they have made that they can't make the playoffs and do some damage.
    Much better outfield defense, much more speed at the top of the order, solid pitching acquisitions.

    Just got to be smarter coachingwise and not let ham and eggers like Cishek to keep coming in and blowing games.
    "Trying to restore and keep Cishek's confidence" is one of the major reasons they didn't make the playoffs last year.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23038
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:In a couple days,it's time to play some ball...Go M's!!! Why not us this year?

    There is no reasons with the additions that they have made that they can't make the playoffs and do some damage.
    Much better outfield defense, much more speed at the top of the order, solid pitching acquisitions.

    Just got to be smarter coachingwise and not let ham and eggers like Cishek to keep coming in and blowing games.
    "Trying to restore and keep Cishek's confidence" is one of the major reasons they didn't make the playoffs last year.

    I'm thinking they might want to have Felix skip every 5th start or so in the interest of health. He may not be our best pitcher this year (again ;)). But he's still a top tier talent and deserves to play in the playoffs, given what he's done for the team including re-signing here when he could have probably moved elsewhere and made more money and got closer to a ring.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 16697
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:In a couple days,it's time to play some ball...Go M's!!! Why not us this year?

    There is no reasons with the additions that they have made that they can't make the playoffs and do some damage.
    Much better outfield defense, much more speed at the top of the order, solid pitching acquisitions.

    Just got to be smarter coachingwise and not let ham and eggers like Cishek to keep coming in and blowing games.
    "Trying to restore and keep Cishek's confidence" is one of the major reasons they didn't make the playoffs last year.

    I'm thinking they might want to have Felix skip every 5th start or so in the interest of health. He may not be our best pitcher this year (again ;)). But he's still a top tier talent and deserves to play in the playoffs, given what he's done for the team including re-signing here when he could have probably moved elsewhere and made more money and got closer to a ring.

    That may not be a horrible idea.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23038
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Potential opening day lineup.

    https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/8 ... wsrc%5Etfw

    Dyson
    Segura
    Cano
    Cruz
    Seags
    Haniger
    Vogelbach
    Zunino
    Martin


    First blush, the season could very well ride on the Haniger, vogelback,zunino trifectra. If 2 of them can prove to be major league AVERAGE hitters. We may have a special offense (health being good of course to the core)

    Im cautiously optomistic. Unlike past M's teams that rushed youth to the bigs and put them immediately into the "carry/fix the offense situation" These guys can quitely slide in behind the beef and produce (hopefully)
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1466
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:In a couple days,it's time to play some ball...Go M's!!! Why not us this year?

    There is no reasons with the additions that they have made that they can't make the playoffs and do some damage.
    Much better outfield defense, much more speed at the top of the order, solid pitching acquisitions.

    Just got to be smarter coachingwise and not let ham and eggers like Cishek to keep coming in and blowing games.
    "Trying to restore and keep Cishek's confidence" is one of the major reasons they didn't make the playoffs last year.

    I'm thinking they might want to have Felix skip every 5th start or so in the interest of health. He may not be our best pitcher this year (again ;)). But he's still a top tier talent and deserves to play in the playoffs, given what he's done for the team including re-signing here when he could have probably moved elsewhere and made more money and got closer to a ring.

    That may not be a horrible idea.

    If Felix is pitching in that stupid WBC then yes but he came to camp in shape and has been training more for this season.I would give him starts off if he really needs that but otherwise he's our workhorse and only 30
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3208
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:In a couple days,it's time to play some ball...Go M's!!! Why not us this year?
    There is no reasons with the additions that they have made that they can't make the playoffs and do some damage.
    Much better outfield defense, much more speed at the top of the order, solid pitching acquisitions.

    Just got to be smarter coachingwise and not let ham and eggers like Cishek to keep coming in and blowing games.
    "Trying to restore and keep Cishek's confidence" is one of the major reasons they didn't make the playoffs last year.

    I'm thinking they might want to have Felix skip every 5th start or so in the interest of health. He may not be our best pitcher this year (again ;)). But he's still a top tier talent and deserves to play in the playoffs, given what he's done for the team including re-signing here when he could have probably moved elsewhere and made more money and got closer to a ring.

    That may not be a horrible idea.

    If Felix is pitching in that stupid WBC then yes but he came to camp in shape and has been training more for this season.I would give him starts off if he really needs that but otherwise he's our workhorse and only 30

    I kind of agree, except they have the pitchers on pretty strict pitch counts for the WBC, and it's workload should be comparable to what he does in M's ST. That being said I'm not a fan of the WBC.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23038
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • I'll be closing this thread shortly and have started a new Mariners ST thread.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23038
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Time to lock this up..The first game(doesn't count) is today..
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3208
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Previous


It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests