Canadian football

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
2 questions:

How do calgary only have one point?

Why is Darrell Bevell their head coach?

sutz

Reaction score
Believe they call it a rouge. Happens when a punt is downed in the end zone.

I may be wrong.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I watched the CFL but used to enjoy it years ago. On the single point issue, definitely one of the most unique and bizarre rules in sports: a point is awarded not just for punts downed in the endzone but for other certain plays downed in the endzone: field goal return (common in the CFL), and other scenarios:

From Wiki: In Canadian football, a single (single point, or rouge), scoring one point, is awarded when the ball is kicked into the end zone by any legal means, other than a successful field goal, and the receiving team does not return, or kick, the ball out of its end zone. It is also a single if the kick travels through the end zone or goes out of bounds in the end zone without being touched, except on a kickoff. After conceding a single, the receiving team is awarded possession of the ball at the 35-yard line of its own end of the field.
Singles are not awarded in the following situations:
if a ball is downed in the end zone after being intercepted in the end zone
if a ball is fumbled outside the end zone
if the kicked ball hits the goalposts (since the 1970s; before then it was a live ball)
when a kickoff goes into the end zone and then out of bounds without being touched
In all these cases the defending team is awarded possession of the ball at the 25-yard line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_(football)

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I was Admiral of the Pirates Armada, the fan club of the CFL Shreveport Pirates for both years of their existence. I say that tongue in cheek as while that was the title it was nothing special in Louisiana almost 20 years ago. The Canadian game is awesome. As for the single point, yes, a kick not returned from the endzone results in a point. The Canadian game is all about maximizing action.

If you visit the Hawk Hat thread in my signature you will find some of the old Shreveport Pirates gear with Hawk Hat. While there, check out my son's music in the other signature thread.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":2p8al6n2 said:
Believe it or not, I was Admiral of the Pirates Armada, the fan club of the CFL Shreveport Pirates for both years of their existence. I say that tongue in cheek as while that was the title it was nothing special in Louisiana almost 20 years ago. The Canadian game is awesome. As for the single point, yes, a kick not returned from the endzone results in a point. The Canadian game is all about maximizing action.

If you visit the Hawk Hat thread in my signature you will find some of the old Shreveport Pirates gear with Hawk Hat. While there, check out my son's music in the other signature thread.

The CFL is indeed an intriguing league with more action. I remember fondly growing up watching all the snow playoff games-so many close, exciting finishes.

BTW Guido, I just wanted to thank you for all the extraordinary effort you made in the Hawk Hat journey. Such a memorable read with so many touching stories and insight into Louisiana culture and food. I enjoyed it thoroughly! And I wonder whatever happened to that Bethani gal?!

ShyCheetah

Reaction score
Being a Canadian and huge fan of the CFL; the rouge introduces a certain play that is balls to the wall awesome, thou i havnt seen it in years. A team down a point on their half of centre field at the end of the game has a hail mary play in which it sends out both its place kicker and punter who therbye try to kick the ball through the endzone. The defending team also sends out both kickers trying to kick the ball out of the endzone. Its madness when the ball is kicked back and forth 4 to 5 times on one play. You have dbs and wrs kicking the ball. I think the last time i saw that play was like 10 years ago.

Shy

Josea16

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2konjp9h said:
It's been awhile since I watched the CFL but used to enjoy it years ago. On the single point issue, definitely one of the most unique and bizarre rules in sports: a point is awarded not just for punts downed in the endzone but for other certain plays downed in the endzone: field goal return (common in the CFL), and other scenarios:

From Wiki: In Canadian football, a single (single point, or rouge), scoring one point, is awarded when the ball is kicked into the end zone by any legal means, other than a successful field goal, and the receiving team does not return, or kick, the ball out of its end zone. It is also a single if the kick travels through the end zone or goes out of bounds in the end zone without being touched, except on a kickoff. After conceding a single, the receiving team is awarded possession of the ball at the 35-yard line of its own end of the field.
Singles are not awarded in the following situations:
if a ball is downed in the end zone after being intercepted in the end zone
if a ball is fumbled outside the end zone
if the kicked ball hits the goalposts (since the 1970s; before then it was a live ball)
when a kickoff goes into the end zone and then out of bounds without being touched
In all these cases the defending team is awarded possession of the ball at the 25-yard line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_(football)
Sounds like a sensible rule that makes kickers not "Little Bitch why does your position even exist"? Obviously it's a carryover from Australian Rules Football and Rugby. Both of which kick ass.