USMNT World Cup Qualifiers: Klinsmann out; Arenas in

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I had to create a new thread cause I'm so fired up about last night's debacle of biblical proportions.

So we're playing our biggest rival for our very first qualifier on home soil with new players that have had all of one week to assimilate with each other......................................NEW FORMATION!

This sort of blunder is what gets managers fired, and if Jurgen Klinsmann was the manager of a big Euro nation, I betcha he'd have his walking papers this morning. He singlehandedly lost that match last night with his hairbrained formation change............and worse his refusal to switch us back to a more traditional formation that our players have always played in until almost halftime of getting our heads kicked in for 45 minutes looking like idiots out of position.

Absolutely and utterly inexcusable.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
They lost the match because noone marked Mexico's most dangerous player on a late (89th minute late) set piece. That is inexcusable on the players.

However, Klinsmann really out thought himself. I understand his thinking in terms of the wingbacks, but why against Mexico? A 352 is far from "hairbrained" but I don't think it was the right call against Mexico. Also, not sure about "traditional" in the sense that a handful of players that started have maybe played 3/4 games with the USMNT? It's not like the group was engrossed in the 433. And they did move to the 442 later that allowed Woods and Altidore to play together.

No coach would have been fired over this. But he has questions to answer before the next one.

All that said... Pulisic might have been the best player on the field, certainly the USMNTs best player and Bobby Wood is very good (shocker.. they both play club ball in Germany). Something exciting to take away

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3o4wnnrm said:
They lost the match because noone marked Mexico's most dangerous player on a late (89th minute late) set piece. That is inexcusable on the players.

However, Klinsmann really out thought himself. I understand his thinking in terms of the wingbacks, but why against Mexico? A 352 is far from "hairbrained" but I don't think it was the right call against Mexico. Also, not sure about "traditional" in the sense that a handful of players that started have maybe played 3/4 games with the USMNT? It's not like the group was engrossed in the 433. And they did move to the 442 later that allowed Woods and Altidore to play together.

No coach would have been fired over this. But he has questions to answer before the next one.

All that said... Pulisic might have been the best player on the field, certainly the USMNTs best player and Bobby Wood is very good (shocker.. they both play club ball in Germany). Something exciting to take away

Like I said, the stubbornness of Klinsmann to wait until right before the half to move back to a 442 when it was so clearly evident that the 352 was a disaster the entire half and the score should have been 3-0 at half, not 1-0, Mexico hit the bar twice was the most egregious issue I had of Klinsmann.

Bottom line for me Si is you don't try a new formation against your biggest rival in your first qualifier, and you ESPECIALLY don't stubbornly stick with it for almost 45 minutes getting your ass handed to you.

Agree about Pulisic, I have a hard time thinking of another player with as quick of a first touch creating space and moving forward dangerously as him.........at 18? Insane.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I don't disagree about the way it started. But you cant move from a 352 to a 442 in the run of play. Waiting until half time was fine. And 3-0 is being a bit dramatic. Sure, they hit the bar twice. Both good saves by Howard.

My concern is the amount of midfield the US was conceding in the first half, and the insistence of using Pulisic in the middle. Again, Klinsmann made a poor decision in starting the game as he did. by the way, as good as he was, Pulisic's first touch gaffe on the deflected ball that fell to him at the top of the box in the first was cringe worthy. Still, the kid is good, and seemed to enjoy himself.

Good managers get it wrong often. Great ones make adjustments. They deserved a point from that game. Let's see how Klinsmann lines them up in Costa Rica, a place they have not won in a very long time.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ewr62wi said:
I don't disagree about the way it started. But you cant move from a 352 to a 442 in the run of play. Waiting until half time was fine. And 3-0 is being a bit dramatic. Sure, they hit the bar twice. Both good saves by Howard.

My concern is the amount of midfield the US was conceding in the first half, and the insistence of using Pulisic in the middle. Again, Klinsmann made a poor decision in starting the game as he did. by the way, as good as he was, Pulisic's first touch gaffe on the deflected ball that fell to him at the top of the box in the first was cringe worthy. Still, the kid is good, and seemed to enjoy himself.

Good managers get it wrong often. Great ones make adjustments. They deserved a point from that game. Let's see how Klinsmann lines them up in Costa Rica, a place they have not won in a very long time.

The midfield is a whole other problem. Friday night's match proved what many have been saying about the rapidly aging Bradley and Jones, they're no longer capable of anchoring that midfield. They got dominated, looked slow and gave up far too much space.

It was very hard to watch Altidore, Pulisic and Woods having to track back for most of the game just to get involved and help the overmatched Jones and Bradley. So not sure what other younger faster options we have at CM, but Klinsmann needs to look long and hard at those two players and whether they're capable of making another WC run with this team..........cause I don't see it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
"this" team is the transition to getting through qualification. I imagine between now and 2018 we will see more of Morris, Nagbe, Gil, Hyndman, Trapp. Gooch, Stanko, Green, etc. in the friendlies and maybe easier home hex games. But its quite clear Klinsmann, for good or bad, wants to see the likes of Bedoya, Bradley, Zusi, Jones help the group through the difficult tasks.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3svwtzw7 said:
"this" team is the transition to getting through qualification. I imagine between now and 2018 we will see more of Morris, Nagbe, Gil, Hyndman, Trapp. Gooch, Stanko, Green, etc. in the friendlies and maybe easier home hex games. But its quite clear Klinsmann, for good or bad, wants to see the likes of Bedoya, Bradley, Zusi, Jones help the group through the difficult tasks.

Well I'd rather see those guys now, or else we may not even make it through qualifying.

Another glaring issue is goalkeeping. If we have to go 3 more years with the nursing home tandem of Guzan and Howard? That's scary. Where's Hamid? Dude had a great year with DC, put him in.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
There are actually a bevy of good goalkeepers in the US system right now (including Pulisic's cousin believe it or not). Again, I think Klinsmann wanted to get off to a good start in the hex and went with veterans. I don't disagree with the move, but there are so many young players testing themselves at the highest levels (a quick summary of the USMNT rosters for first team, U23 and U19 reflect the ambition of American players) that he will need to start integrating them soon or risk losing out all together.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":i8nvlkfs said:
I am now officially on the Fire Klinsmann bandwagon.

The next game is March 24. If they are going to make a change it has to be now. If not, wait until after qualifying.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":13xbytbl said:
SeatownJay":13xbytbl said:
I am now officially on the Fire Klinsmann bandwagon.

The next game is March 24. If they are going to make a change it has to be now. If not, wait until after qualifying.

There's not going to be any qualifying if the change doesn't happen now.

Losing to your two biggest rivals in qualifying a combined score of 6-1 is enough for me, get Arena or someone else in there now to try and change the energy on the squad and salvage whatever chance is left of qualifying.

I've been critical of Jurgen all along, IMO his ego and negative style of sniping at his players in the press has finally come home to roost, this team QUIT after going down 2-0 last night. That's a glaring red flag that he's lost the team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Well I don't agree the team can't qualify if he remains coach. However, if the USMNT wants to make a change now is the time to do it.

And don't take steps backwards with a name like Arena. Get someone proper in here, or hell, promote Reyna. This program does not need to take negative steps even to salvage qualifying in an insanely easy group. Remember, they just have to finish 4th.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":6trf076s said:
Well I don't agree the team can't qualify if he remains coach. However, if the USMNT wants to make a change now is the time to do it.

And don't take steps backwards with a name like Arena. Get someone proper in here, or hell, promote Reyna. This program does not need to take negative steps even to salvage qualifying in an insanely easy group. Remember, they just have to finish 4th.

I just threw out Arena cause that's the name I'm seeing all over Twitter. Reyna'd be great, the players respect the hell out of him.

All I know is I want Kilnsmann out, he's had more than enough time to get this team ready and competing at a high level, not regressing back to the 80's.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33bnvy20 said:
Uncle Si":33bnvy20 said:

I just threw out Arena cause that's the name I'm seeing all over Twitter. Reyna'd be great, the players respect the hell out of him.

All I know is I want Kilnsmann out, he's had more than enough time to get this team ready and competing at a high level, not regressing back to the 80's.

I begrudgingly agree. I am over Klinsmann. I was very inspired by the direction he wanted to take US Soccer. But he is showing the lack of tactical acumen that cost him his job in Germany.

I would prefer a change at this point, although I don't see the USMNT making one. I would even suggest there are a host of names in the MLS that would do wonders. Robert Mancini is also without a job at the moment.

(I am also in between seasons and just completed a historic season.. should anyone ask you for a recommendation)

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1h6y8535 said:

Very fair article, and touched on a lot of things I said above. Klinsmann IMO has lost the locker room, and for that reason alone he needs to go.

Can't go the next two years with a lame duck manager 80% of the players don't respect or want to listen to because at one time or another he's kicked them in the nuts over their career decisions or play.

I also stand by that our midfield needs a major overhaul. I'd rather go youth and inexperience over Jones and Bradley if it means injecting some speed and energy into the CM position. I suspect even Jurgen knew this glaring deficiency going into the Mexico match, thus the formation switch to a 3-5-2 dropping Pulisic inside.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
If he's lost the locker room then you change the players. Everything he has brought up In regards to American soccer, it's leagues and players is correct. His biggest assets on the team reflect that very philosophy. His delivery may be rough but he's not incorrect.

The issue here is his tactical acumen. A 352 doesn't win you the midfield if your players cannot connect passes from the back. He out thought himself, and that is not new.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
From what I saw on Tuesday night, the USMNT doesn't deserve to play for the World Cup. It was an absolutely pathetic showing after an underwhelming effort against Mexico last Friday.