UW Husky Basketball Thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:25 am
  • Probably another year of mediocrity, but there is one bright spot this year, and his name is Markelle Fultz. Already projected as a top 5 pick for next year. The highest and most decorated hoops recruit to ever come to Washington.

    The season starts tomorrow against Yale. Unfortunately, they play at 4PM right before the Seahawks so I doubt anyone will watch. I'll watch Fultz up until the Hawks game starts.

    Next year will be "the year." As of now we have the #2 recruiting class for 2017, led by Michael Porter Jr who is ranked as the #2 player in the 2017 class. He is the real deal, and you can see him play his HS basketball at Nathan Hale (who is coached by former UW and NBA player Brandon Roy).

    If Fultz does come back next year, we will likely be a favorite to make the final four. But that is a big questionmark, most everyone expects Fultz to jump to the NBA, but he is a different type of kid, I wouldn't be shocked if he came back for another year.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:01 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Probably another year of mediocrity, but there is one bright spot this year, and his name is Markelle Fultz. Already projected as a top 5 pick for next year. The highest and most decorated hoops recruit to ever come to Washington.

    The season starts tomorrow against Yale. Unfortunately, they play at 4PM right before the Seahawks so I doubt anyone will watch. I'll watch Fultz up until the Hawks game starts.

    Next year will be "the year." As of now we have the #2 recruiting class for 2017, led by Michael Porter Jr who is ranked as the #2 player in the 2017 class. He is the real deal, and you can see him play his HS basketball at Nathan Hale (who is coached by former UW and NBA player Brandon Roy).

    If Fultz does come back next year, we will likely be a favorite to make the final four. But that is a big questionmark, most everyone expects Fultz to jump to the NBA, but he is a different type of kid, I wouldn't be shocked if he came back for another year.

    It's that bad this year?I thought this was the year..I hate having to listen to JS talk up his basketball over ours since his football was lousy this year :lol:
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3003
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:46 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Probably another year of mediocrity, but there is one bright spot this year, and his name is Markelle Fultz. Already projected as a top 5 pick for next year. The highest and most decorated hoops recruit to ever come to Washington.

    The season starts tomorrow against Yale. Unfortunately, they play at 4PM right before the Seahawks so I doubt anyone will watch. I'll watch Fultz up until the Hawks game starts.

    Next year will be "the year." As of now we have the #2 recruiting class for 2017, led by Michael Porter Jr who is ranked as the #2 player in the 2017 class. He is the real deal, and you can see him play his HS basketball at Nathan Hale (who is coached by former UW and NBA player Brandon Roy).

    If Fultz does come back next year, we will likely be a favorite to make the final four. But that is a big questionmark, most everyone expects Fultz to jump to the NBA, but he is a different type of kid, I wouldn't be shocked if he came back for another year.

    It's that bad this year?I thought this was the year..I hate having to listen to JS talk up his basketball over ours since his football was lousy this year :lol:


    Even when you get the players its not going to be good because Romar is your coach.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22949
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:00 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Probably another year of mediocrity, but there is one bright spot this year, and his name is Markelle Fultz. Already projected as a top 5 pick for next year. The highest and most decorated hoops recruit to ever come to Washington.

    The season starts tomorrow against Yale. Unfortunately, they play at 4PM right before the Seahawks so I doubt anyone will watch. I'll watch Fultz up until the Hawks game starts.

    Next year will be "the year." As of now we have the #2 recruiting class for 2017, led by Michael Porter Jr who is ranked as the #2 player in the 2017 class. He is the real deal, and you can see him play his HS basketball at Nathan Hale (who is coached by former UW and NBA player Brandon Roy).

    If Fultz does come back next year, we will likely be a favorite to make the final four. But that is a big questionmark, most everyone expects Fultz to jump to the NBA, but he is a different type of kid, I wouldn't be shocked if he came back for another year.

    It's that bad this year?I thought this was the year..I hate having to listen to JS talk up his basketball over ours since his football was lousy this year :lol:


    It's kind of hard to forecast UW's upcoming season. While they gain arguably the best recruit in the nation, they lose their top three scorers from last year (Andrews, Chriss and Murray). They could surprise, but they could also disappoint. One thing that should help them is that they aren't as young as they were last year. Last year they were literally playing all freshman with the exception of Andrews. Good chance Fultz will have to carry the team, which he is more than capable of.

    CBS ranks Fultz as the 2nd best player in all of college basketball:

    http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... r-2016-17/
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:08 pm
  • Just lost to Yale at home... giving up 98 points. Romar basketball.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22949
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:33 pm
  • Fultz was awesome. Everyone else sucked. Kind of what I'm expecting this season.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:41 am
  • This UW team may not be great, but we may have THE BEST PLAYER IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL playing in our backyard. He scored 30 points in his debut and 35 yesterday. IMO, he looks like the best Husky I've seen since BRoy's senior year. And Fultz is a freshman.

    The moves at 35 seconds and 40 seconds were insane.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:06 am
  • Fultz is awesome, but what good is it to have a one and done player on a team that can't compete for the tournament?

    As much as I love Romar the human being, he's had MORE than enough time to put together a perennial tournament team, which is what this program should be achieving every single year.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10939
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:22 pm
  • This team is really bad. If not for Fultz, I doubt I'd watch their games. UW was up 22-5, and then somehow allowed TCU to go on an 18-0 run. Right now they are down by 7, a 24 point swing in about a half of basketball. How is that even possible?

    Romar is the worst, but he is here to stay, at least for one more year. He can thank Michael Porter Jr for his job.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:07 pm
  • Some highlights of Michael Porter Jr in Nathan Hale's game against Rainier Beach. Porter Jr led his team to the win with 35 points and 21 rebounds. His size and handles make him so unique, reminds me of a young Kevin Durant. The only good thing about keeping Romar around is to see this kid. I'm going to try to go to the Hale against Garfield game in January. I believe it is also going to be televised on one of the ESPN networks (ESPNU I think).



    Here are some other highlights of him if you are not familiar with him.

    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:41 am
  • I said it in the gonzaga thread. I can't believe Romar has a job still. Great recruiter, even better person, but he is the worst (second worst hello ernie kent) coach in the pac. With the amount of NBA talent he pumps out to not make the tourny is a damning stat.

    The recruiting classes keep getting better yet the results are getting worse.
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1217
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:30 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:This team is really bad. If not for Fultz, I doubt I'd watch their games. UW was up 22-5, and then somehow allowed TCU to go on an 18-0 run. Right now they are down by 7, a 24 point swing in about a half of basketball. How is that even possible?

    Romar is the worst, but he is here to stay, at least for one more year. He can thank Michael Porter Jr for his job.



    Now is the time to fire Romar. Porter Jr and his whole recruiting class (which is really good) have already signed their letters of intent. So they're locked into Washington whether Romar is there or not. I suppose Porter Jr could go play oversea's somewhere for a year before entering the NBA draft, but otherwise he's locked into UW unless he wants to transfer and sit out a year.

    Its a move UW has to make, imo.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22949
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:24 pm
  • UW needs to find a coach that is like Mark Few at Gonzaga. He gets players that stick with him for at least 2-3 years. Not many one and dones there. The success of Chriss and Murray hurt. If one of those guys stayed, it would probably be different. Nigel Williams-Goss also transferred because of Murray coming in. If Williams-Goss stays, things may be a bit different as well. Prior to 2015 season, the Huskies lost 2 players to graduation but the rest transferred. That is very telling.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6180
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:40 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:UW needs to find a coach that is like Mark Few at Gonzaga. He gets players that stick with him for at least 2-3 years. Not many one and dones there. The success of Chriss and Murray hurt. If one of those guys stayed, it would probably be different. Nigel Williams-Goss also transferred because of Murray coming in. If Williams-Goss stays, things may be a bit different as well. Prior to 2015 season, the Huskies lost 2 players to graduation but the rest transferred. That is very telling.


    The problem is that UW isn't a basketball school. The University puts very little money into the hoops program. Small chance we will get a big name coach when/if Romar leaves.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:41 am
  • Husky basketball has been this way for quite awhile now. When Ken Bone was an assistant 10+ years ago, there was a noticeable improvement in the scheme and execution. But since he's been gone, it's been the same story...Romar landing some decent recruits, and then they underperform. And there's always excuses...my favorite is the excuse that it's harder to win with 1 and done caliber players. LOL give me a break....every big time successful NCAA basketball team has 1 and dones almost every year, and they still win.

    Romar is a good recruiter, but not a very good developer. I'd rather have somebody who's better at the latter than the former. UW isn't a basketball school, but it's good enough to land some good recruits every now and then, with or without a guy like Romar. To be honest, I don't even know what the hell these players see in Romar when they're in high school. "I really want to go to Washington so I can play for Romar. That way I won't receive good coaching, and can be part of an underachieving/disappointing team."
    User avatar
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5924
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:17 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Husky basketball has been this way for quite awhile now. When Ken Bone was an assistant 10+ years ago, there was a noticeable improvement in the scheme and execution. But since he's been gone, it's been the same story...Romar landing some decent recruits, and then they underperform. And there's always excuses...my favorite is the excuse that it's harder to win with 1 and done caliber players. LOL give me a break....every big time successful NCAA basketball team has 1 and dones almost every year, and they still win.

    Romar is a good recruiter, but not a very good developer. I'd rather have somebody who's better at the latter than the former. UW isn't a basketball school, but it's good enough to land some good recruits every now and then, with or without a guy like Romar. To be honest, I don't even know what the hell these players see in Romar when they're in high school. "I really want to go to Washington so I can play for Romar. That way I won't receive good coaching, and can be part of an underachieving/disappointing team."

    He does have more than a few players in the pros right?There is that factor.I just cannot believe the Romar I saw playing as a kid isn't a better coach..But then again UW back then wasn't exactly any better than now.
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3003
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:37 pm
  • Fultz with 26 points, 11 rebounds and 9 assists but Huskies lose at home to a really bad Washington State team. Romar needs to go....
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22949
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:01 am
  • he needed to go years ago.

    I have not a clue what it will take to get his ass out the door.
    MPjr won't change anything
    User avatar
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2416
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:02 am
  • Why hold on to a coach to keep a player that's only gonna be there for a year anyways.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1720
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:45 am
  • There is no doubt Romar needs to go, but will he? Tough to say what new AD Jen Cohen will do. As great as Michael Porter and the rest of the incoming class is, we can't keep a coach just because of a recruiting class.

    This team is really bad, and they show little to no spark on the court. It looks like a bunch of guys who don't really care. I feel bad for Fultz, because he is going to be a top 5 pick, but won't get to participate in the NCAA tournament or showcase his skills on national TV much. Fultz is the best freshman I can remember watching.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:47 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:There is no doubt Romar needs to go, but will he? Tough to say what new AD Jen Cohen will do. As great as Michael Porter and the rest of the incoming class is, we can't keep a coach just because of a recruiting class.

    This team is really bad, and they show little to no spark on the court. It looks like a bunch of guys who don't really care. I feel bad for Fultz, because he is going to be a top 5 pick, but won't get to participate in the NCAA tournament or showcase his skills on national TV much. Fultz is the best freshman I can remember watching.


    For how great the UW class looks, UA, UCLA and UO are also bringing in top 10 classes. All things considered, Romar won't be beating any of them with just equal talent.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3225
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:18 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Fultz with 26 points, 11 rebounds and 9 assists but Huskies lose at home to a really bad Washington State team. Romar needs to go....



    How bout them Cougs!!! hahaha nice win.

    But honestly, it's not that complicated for UW, they can fire Romar and keep Porter Jr. You just have to keep his dad on staff, thats the only reason they got him in the first place. the 300K a year salary, housing and travel stipends......Little classier then money in a duffle bag, but ultimately no different
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1217
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:23 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:There is no doubt Romar needs to go, but will he? Tough to say what new AD Jen Cohen will do. As great as Michael Porter and the rest of the incoming class is, we can't keep a coach just because of a recruiting class.

    This team is really bad, and they show little to no spark on the court. It looks like a bunch of guys who don't really care. I feel bad for Fultz, because he is going to be a top 5 pick, but won't get to participate in the NCAA tournament or showcase his skills on national TV much. Fultz is the best freshman I can remember watching.


    If I'm not mistaken, Romar's best years was when Cameron Dollar was on his staff. Maybe UW can find a recruiting spot or create one specifically for Romar and then hire Dollar as the HC. Dollar seemed to be the one to develop the players during that era rather than Romar.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6180
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:44 pm
  • Fultz being mocked as high as #2 right now. Pretty incredible talent. Unfortunately for UW they didn't have him last season with a much better roster.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 11042
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:44 pm
  • This kid is so special. He dropped 37 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks and 3 steals. Probably the most talented Husky basketball player I've seen since Brandon Roy. On top of that, he led the Dawgs back to win in OT after trailing by as much as 17 points. I think he's the #1 pick in the draft as long as that team needs a PG.

    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:34 pm
  • I went to the Huskies game against Utah this year and last year, both losses. Last year in overtime, it was a great game. It looked like the Huskies had all sorts of talent that just wasn't channeled properly.

    This year was simply a dumpster fire. Romar is *such* a bad coach. Simply put, there is a total lack of fundamentals such as blocking out exhibited by the Huskies. Some players that were on the team last year, like Noah Dickerson, have regressed tremendously.

    It doesn't matter how much talent this team has, Romar is just an awful coach. In order for them to win, he has got to go. I think now is a great time to offer Brandon Roy the position, but frankly I would take anyone over Romar.

    Watching the game against Utah was so painful. I can't remember the last time I saw a team so woefully unprepared to play before. Romar has got to go.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    User avatar
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1101
    Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:45 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:35 pm
  • xgeoff wrote:I went to the Huskies game against Utah this year and last year, both losses. Last year in overtime, it was a great game. It looked like the Huskies had all sorts of talent that just wasn't channeled properly.

    This year was simply a dumpster fire. Romar is *such* a bad coach. Simply put, there is a total lack of fundamentals such as blocking out exhibited by the Huskies. Some players that were on the team last year, like Noah Dickerson, have regressed tremendously.

    It doesn't matter how much talent this team has, Romar is just an awful coach. In order for them to win, he has got to go. I think now is a great time to offer Brandon Roy the position, but frankly I would take anyone over Romar.

    Watching the game against Utah was so painful. I can't remember the last time I saw a team so woefully unprepared to play before. Romar has got to go.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


    I disagree on Roy. What makes you think he is ready to coach a team like UW? He has about 5 months of coaching experience at the high school level and that's it. While I think he could be an option down the line, he just isn't ready for it right now. You or me could probably coach Nathan Hale to the state championship with the roster they have.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:01 pm
  • I love Romar (the man) but he's done a terrible coaching job lately. Guys don't seem to get better anymore under him and some seem to even regress. On the court they seem to play like a bunch of kids in a pickup game with no real gameplan. To me it seemed like they took a dip when Cameron Dollar left to coach Seattle U. Which doesn't make a ton of sense because it's not like Dollar is tearing it up at Seattle U. Maybe it was just a coincidence.
    User avatar
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 794
    Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:53 pm


UW Husky Basketball Thread
Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:57 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    xgeoff wrote:I went to the Huskies game against Utah this year and last year, both losses. Last year in overtime, it was a great game. It looked like the Huskies had all sorts of talent that just wasn't channeled properly.

    This year was simply a dumpster fire. Romar is *such* a bad coach. Simply put, there is a total lack of fundamentals such as blocking out exhibited by the Huskies. Some players that were on the team last year, like Noah Dickerson, have regressed tremendously.

    It doesn't matter how much talent this team has, Romar is just an awful coach. In order for them to win, he has got to go. I think now is a great time to offer Brandon Roy the position, but frankly I would take anyone over Romar.

    Watching the game against Utah was so painful. I can't remember the last time I saw a team so woefully unprepared to play before. Romar has got to go.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


    I disagree on Roy. What makes you think he is ready to coach a team like UW? He has about 5 months of coaching experience at the high school level and that's it. While I think he could be an option down the line, he just isn't ready for it right now. You or me could probably coach Nathan Hale to the state championship with the roster they have.


    Fair enough. I really think just about anyone would be better than romar. Roy seemed like a candidate because he knows the game, coaches the top ranked high school team in the country, is in our backyard and is a uw alum.

    Would love to hear about other candidates, though.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    User avatar
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1101
    Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:45 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:27 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:I love Romar (the man) but he's done a terrible coaching job lately. Guys don't seem to get better anymore under him and some seem to even regress. On the court they seem to play like a bunch of kids in a pickup game with no real gameplan. To me it seemed like they took a dip when Cameron Dollar left to coach Seattle U. Which doesn't make a ton of sense because it's not like Dollar is tearing it up at Seattle U. Maybe it was just a coincidence.


    Dollar doesn't get the quality of players that UW does. If Dollar was the coach of the UW, you'd see the players being developed. Romar is a good recruiter but lacks the teaching aspect. While Dollar may be a good teacher but isn't able to recruit. That's why if they can find a role for Romar as a recruiter and bring in Dollar as the head coach, UW would be a better program. Just my 2 cents.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6180
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:43 pm
  • If UW moves on from Romar, I can tell you now there is almost zero chance Dollar becomes the head coach. For one, I don't think he is qualified to be the coach of a Pac-12 team. He has done next to nothing at Seattle U to create excitement. But more importantly, you can't fire Romar, and then hire one of "Romar's guys."

    It's hard to say what kind of replacements would line up for the job. UW isn't a basketball powerhouse, so you aren't going to get big name guys. The guys I want, I'm not sure we can get. The two westcoast guys that come to mind to replace Romar would be Randy Bennett (St Mary's coach) or Travis Decuire (Montana coach). Bennett would be the better coach, but Decuire is a Seattle guy and would be able to recruit the Seatte kids well. If not westcoast guys, then I think you look at some smaller schools that are having success....Archie Miller at Dayton. Greg McDermott at Creighton. Chris Mack at Xavier. But hard to say if any of those guys would leave those schools for UW, which is known for football.

    I honestly think the best case scenario is for Romar to hire some accomplished assistants. Right now all his assistants are recruiters. Chillious is a recruiter. Conroy is more here for the players and to keep the Seattle pipeline flowing into UW, and I think we all know why Porter Sr is on the coaching staff. UW basketball was at its best when Ken Bone and Cameron Dollar were helping Romar out. Once they left, the program struggled.

    Based on what I know, I think it's pretty clear Romar is going to get one more year because of the recruiting class. If I were Romar, I'd go all out this summer in finding another assistant coach and a transfer who can play right away.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:40 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:If UW moves on from Romar, I can tell you now there is almost zero chance Dollar becomes the head coach. For one, I don't think he is qualified to be the coach of a Pac-12 team. He has done next to nothing at Seattle U to create excitement. But more importantly, you can't fire Romar, and then hire one of "Romar's guys."

    It's hard to say what kind of replacements would line up for the job. UW isn't a basketball powerhouse, so you aren't going to get big name guys. The guys I want, I'm not sure we can get. The two westcoast guys that come to mind to replace Romar would be Randy Bennett (St Mary's coach) or Travis Decuire (Montana coach). Bennett would be the better coach, but Decuire is a Seattle guy and would be able to recruit the Seatte kids well. If not westcoast guys, then I think you look at some smaller schools that are having success....Archie Miller at Dayton. Greg McDermott at Creighton. Chris Mack at Xavier. But hard to say if any of those guys would leave those schools for UW, which is known for football.

    I honestly think the best case scenario is for Romar to hire some accomplished assistants. Right now all his assistants are recruiters. Chillious is a recruiter. Conroy is more here for the players and to keep the Seattle pipeline flowing into UW, and I think we all know why Porter Sr is on the coaching staff. UW basketball was at its best when Ken Bone and Cameron Dollar were helping Romar out. Once they left, the program struggled.

    Based on what I know, I think it's pretty clear Romar is going to get one more year because of the recruiting class. If I were Romar, I'd go all out this summer in finding another assistant coach and a transfer who can play right away.


    Vaild points. For what it's worth, Bone is now part of the coaching team of the #1 college basketball team in the country.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6180
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:20 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:If UW moves on from Romar, I can tell you now there is almost zero chance Dollar becomes the head coach. For one, I don't think he is qualified to be the coach of a Pac-12 team. He has done next to nothing at Seattle U to create excitement. But more importantly, you can't fire Romar, and then hire one of "Romar's guys."

    It's hard to say what kind of replacements would line up for the job. UW isn't a basketball powerhouse, so you aren't going to get big name guys. The guys I want, I'm not sure we can get. The two westcoast guys that come to mind to replace Romar would be Randy Bennett (St Mary's coach) or Travis Decuire (Montana coach). Bennett would be the better coach, but Decuire is a Seattle guy and would be able to recruit the Seatte kids well. If not westcoast guys, then I think you look at some smaller schools that are having success....Archie Miller at Dayton. Greg McDermott at Creighton. Chris Mack at Xavier. But hard to say if any of those guys would leave those schools for UW, which is known for football.

    I honestly think the best case scenario is for Romar to hire some accomplished assistants. Right now all his assistants are recruiters. Chillious is a recruiter. Conroy is more here for the players and to keep the Seattle pipeline flowing into UW, and I think we all know why Porter Sr is on the coaching staff. UW basketball was at its best when Ken Bone and Cameron Dollar were helping Romar out. Once they left, the program struggled.

    Based on what I know, I think it's pretty clear Romar is going to get one more year because of the recruiting class. If I were Romar, I'd go all out this summer in finding another assistant coach and a transfer who can play right away.


    I completely agree that Romar needs to find assistants that help him in the coaching aspect of the game rather than in the recruiting portion. Romar seems to think that he's a great X's and O's guy but he clearly is not. He's more of a recruiter as you've said (although I think his real strength is finding assistants that recruit well for him). I am a firm believer that Cameron Dollar had a lot to do with the progression of the players and the success of UW Basketball when they were actually good.

    BTW Ken Bone was not on Washington's staff under Romar as far as I can remember. He coached the Washington state cougars though.

    Romar will get at least one more year because of the class he is bringing in next year but I hope for his own sake that he will take that long hard look in the mirror and realize his own weaknesses and find some assistant coaches to help him. Honestly I think his best role would actually be as an assistant coach focused on recruiting mainly but I doubt he would ever take that position at UW where he has been the HC. He will likely have to be fired and go somewhere else to realize that revaluation, unfortunate but likely true.

    On a side note, what about Nate McMillan to replace Romar? I've always thought of Nate as a great leader and teacher of the game, even going back to his Sonic's playing days he was like having another coach on the floor as a player. I don't know if he would move to the college ranks after having so many NBA jobs but if he would I think he'd be a great HC at Washington. He's a guy that I could possibly see being able to keep Romar around as an assistant too. Not likely but possible since he coached in the NBA and has the reputation he does here in the Seattle area. He'd also bring a little bit of star factor I believe because of his playing and coaching career in the NBA.
    User avatar
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 794
    Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:53 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:24 am
  • DJrmb wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:If UW moves on from Romar, I can tell you now there is almost zero chance Dollar becomes the head coach. For one, I don't think he is qualified to be the coach of a Pac-12 team. He has done next to nothing at Seattle U to create excitement. But more importantly, you can't fire Romar, and then hire one of "Romar's guys."

    It's hard to say what kind of replacements would line up for the job. UW isn't a basketball powerhouse, so you aren't going to get big name guys. The guys I want, I'm not sure we can get. The two westcoast guys that come to mind to replace Romar would be Randy Bennett (St Mary's coach) or Travis Decuire (Montana coach). Bennett would be the better coach, but Decuire is a Seattle guy and would be able to recruit the Seatte kids well. If not westcoast guys, then I think you look at some smaller schools that are having success....Archie Miller at Dayton. Greg McDermott at Creighton. Chris Mack at Xavier. But hard to say if any of those guys would leave those schools for UW, which is known for football.

    I honestly think the best case scenario is for Romar to hire some accomplished assistants. Right now all his assistants are recruiters. Chillious is a recruiter. Conroy is more here for the players and to keep the Seattle pipeline flowing into UW, and I think we all know why Porter Sr is on the coaching staff. UW basketball was at its best when Ken Bone and Cameron Dollar were helping Romar out. Once they left, the program struggled.

    Based on what I know, I think it's pretty clear Romar is going to get one more year because of the recruiting class. If I were Romar, I'd go all out this summer in finding another assistant coach and a transfer who can play right away.


    I completely agree that Romar needs to find assistants that help him in the coaching aspect of the game rather than in the recruiting portion. Romar seems to think that he's a great X's and O's guy but he clearly is not. He's more of a recruiter as you've said (although I think his real strength is finding assistants that recruit well for him). I am a firm believer that Cameron Dollar had a lot to do with the progression of the players and the success of UW Basketball when they were actually good.

    BTW Ken Bone was not on Washington's staff under Romar as far as I can remember. He coached the Washington state cougars though.

    Romar will get at least one more year because of the class he is bringing in next year but I hope for his own sake that he will take that long hard look in the mirror and realize his own weaknesses and find some assistant coaches to help him. Honestly I think his best role would actually be as an assistant coach focused on recruiting mainly but I doubt he would ever take that position at UW where he has been the HC. He will likely have to be fired and go somewhere else to realize that revaluation, unfortunate but likely true.

    On a side note, what about Nate McMillan to replace Romar? I've always thought of Nate as a great leader and teacher of the game, even going back to his Sonic's playing days he was like having another coach on the floor as a player. I don't know if he would move to the college ranks after having so many NBA jobs but if he would I think he'd be a great HC at Washington. He's a guy that I could possibly see being able to keep Romar around as an assistant too. Not likely but possible since he coached in the NBA and has the reputation he does here in the Seattle area. He'd also bring a little bit of star factor I believe because of his playing and coaching career in the NBA.


    Ken Bone was an assistant for Romar when he first got here. Bone was an assistant from 2002-2005. And I also agree that Dollar had a lot to do with UW's success when he was here.

    McMillan would be awesome, but he is the head coach of the Pacers, and I doubt the pay would be similar. NBA head coaches are going to make a lot more than the UW basketball coach. One name that is really outside the box that would be interesting is George Karl. Karl isn't coming back to the NBA, he has burned too many bridges with his new book. But he is familiar with the Northwest, and I think he'd fit in great as a college basketball coach. It's a big stretch, but if Karl wants to get back into coaching, it may have to be college basketball.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:13 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:If UW moves on from Romar, I can tell you now there is almost zero chance Dollar becomes the head coach. For one, I don't think he is qualified to be the coach of a Pac-12 team. He has done next to nothing at Seattle U to create excitement. But more importantly, you can't fire Romar, and then hire one of "Romar's guys."

    It's hard to say what kind of replacements would line up for the job. UW isn't a basketball powerhouse, so you aren't going to get big name guys. The guys I want, I'm not sure we can get. The two westcoast guys that come to mind to replace Romar would be Randy Bennett (St Mary's coach) or Travis Decuire (Montana coach). Bennett would be the better coach, but Decuire is a Seattle guy and would be able to recruit the Seatte kids well. If not westcoast guys, then I think you look at some smaller schools that are having success....Archie Miller at Dayton. Greg McDermott at Creighton. Chris Mack at Xavier. But hard to say if any of those guys would leave those schools for UW, which is known for football.

    I honestly think the best case scenario is for Romar to hire some accomplished assistants. Right now all his assistants are recruiters. Chillious is a recruiter. Conroy is more here for the players and to keep the Seattle pipeline flowing into UW, and I think we all know why Porter Sr is on the coaching staff. UW basketball was at its best when Ken Bone and Cameron Dollar were helping Romar out. Once they left, the program struggled.

    Based on what I know, I think it's pretty clear Romar is going to get one more year because of the recruiting class. If I were Romar, I'd go all out this summer in finding another assistant coach and a transfer who can play right away.


    I completely agree that Romar needs to find assistants that help him in the coaching aspect of the game rather than in the recruiting portion. Romar seems to think that he's a great X's and O's guy but he clearly is not. He's more of a recruiter as you've said (although I think his real strength is finding assistants that recruit well for him). I am a firm believer that Cameron Dollar had a lot to do with the progression of the players and the success of UW Basketball when they were actually good.

    BTW Ken Bone was not on Washington's staff under Romar as far as I can remember. He coached the Washington state cougars though.

    Romar will get at least one more year because of the class he is bringing in next year but I hope for his own sake that he will take that long hard look in the mirror and realize his own weaknesses and find some assistant coaches to help him. Honestly I think his best role would actually be as an assistant coach focused on recruiting mainly but I doubt he would ever take that position at UW where he has been the HC. He will likely have to be fired and go somewhere else to realize that revaluation, unfortunate but likely true.

    On a side note, what about Nate McMillan to replace Romar? I've always thought of Nate as a great leader and teacher of the game, even going back to his Sonic's playing days he was like having another coach on the floor as a player. I don't know if he would move to the college ranks after having so many NBA jobs but if he would I think he'd be a great HC at Washington. He's a guy that I could possibly see being able to keep Romar around as an assistant too. Not likely but possible since he coached in the NBA and has the reputation he does here in the Seattle area. He'd also bring a little bit of star factor I believe because of his playing and coaching career in the NBA.


    Ken Bone was an assistant for Romar when he first got here. Bone was an assistant from 2002-2005. And I also agree that Dollar had a lot to do with UW's success when he was here.

    McMillan would be awesome, but he is the head coach of the Pacers, and I doubt the pay would be similar. NBA head coaches are going to make a lot more than the UW basketball coach. One name that is really outside the box that would be interesting is George Karl. Karl isn't coming back to the NBA, he has burned too many bridges with his new book. But he is familiar with the Northwest, and I think he'd fit in great as a college basketball coach. It's a big stretch, but if Karl wants to get back into coaching, it may have to be college basketball.


    You're right on both fronts. I hadn't realized that McMillen was promoted to HC, I thought he was still just an assistant (shows how much I pay attention to NBA basketball anymore, sadly). Also I completely forgot about Ken Bone being with the Huskies in 2002.

    George Karl is really interesting. He's getting up in age so I don't know how much longer he really wants to keep coaching but he certainly does have the Northwest roots and I've always thought of him as a good coach. The one thing I couldn't see him wanting to have much of anything to do with is recruiting. He may not have to if he hires good enough assistants though (after all that seems to be the way Romar has been able to recruit so well).

    Is there any possibility in the world of ever offering Mark Few enough money to come across the mountains? lol I know that's probably completely impossible especially with some of the drama that went on between the programs for a while. He also just seems like the Chris Peterson type of guy that just never wants to move and is perfectly content with staying put forever. Not to mention that Gonzaga was basically his 1st job working his way up from an assistant.

    What about any of the local HS coaches? We have so much crazy talent coming out of this state (player wise) shouldn't one of these coaches at one of the bigger HS programs be ready for a chance in the college ranks? Would that make UW seem desperate bringing in a basically unknown like that?
    User avatar
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 794
    Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:53 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:50 am
  • UW would be a lot smarter to not hire a former assistant, HS coach or whatever. Hire a great coach from a smaller school, the way UO, UA and UCLA have done.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3225
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:55 am
  • I don't understand how he wasn't fired this week. It's OVER. OVER.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    User avatar
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3643
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:07 am
  • As someone who wants to see Romar at UW forever. I'll point out a fact that Romar lovers leave out about your class.
    It's actually not #2, UCLA is, Arizona is 3 then UW. Oh and UO has the #12 class right now with a great shot to jump to 5-6 when McCoy, #5 ranked 6'10 forward from San Diego, commits. So even with that class people love to point out, the best UW can hope for next year in confrence, would be a 4-6 place finish. Then they all leave for the NBA.
    Last edited by CPHawk on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3225
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:34 am
  • A coaching option that has ties to UW, but not necessarily to Romar, is Detlef Schrempf. Schrempf was a standout during his time at UW, a recognized star in the community, and has coaching experience as an assistant coach with the Supersonics from 2005-2007. To boot Schrempf played under the greatest basketball coach in UW history - Marv Harshman.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6180
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:40 am
  • I'm very confident Romar will be here next year. His buyout would be about $3 million, and I don't think UW is willing to pay the buyout and then throw money at a new coach. As easy as it is to say, just fire him, it isn't that easy.

    There was a rumor floating around that if Romar was let go, that he would get hired by Missouri and take his entire recruiting class to Missouri with him. The Porter kids would likely follow him there, but I can't see the two Garfield kids following him there. Either way, I think that is nothing more than a rumor, but found it interesting.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:42 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:As someone who wants to see Romar at UW forever.


    I'm really saddened to see statements like this. The guy can't coach. He gets what he thinks the top recruits are and just throws them out on the court. The guy simply can't coach. Please wake up. UW has been bottom half in defense for YEARS and the last 2 years they've been ranked 330th out of around 350 schools in Division I. Think about that for 2 seconds. I'm not even going to list any of the schools you see in the bottom 50. It's embarrassing to see The University of Washington listed next to those schools. Unacceptable.
    Last edited by Crizilla on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    User avatar
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1986
    Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm
    Location: Kirkland


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:55 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:As someone who wants to see Romar at UW forever.


    I'm really saddened to see statements like this. The guy can't coach. He gets what he thinks the top recruits are and just throws them out on the court. The guy simply can't coach. Please wake up.


    I'm wide awake, I'm not a husky fan.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3225
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:37 am
  • And the Cougs complete the season sweep.
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1217
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:35 pm
  • A University of Washington spokesperson said it is “absolutely untrue that any decision has been reached” regarding the future of men’s basketball coach Lorenzo Romar, refuting a Yahoo report indicating Romar would return as coach next season.

    Romar and the Huskies recently completed the worst conference season in the history of the 18-game schedule, going 2-16 and riding a 12-game losing streak into this week’s Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas. UW is about to complete its sixth consecutive season without an NCAA tournament appearance, leading to widespread speculation that the school might fire Romar after 15 seasons.

    Pat Forde of Yahoo reported that UW is unwilling to pay Romar’s $3.2 million buyout, and will retain him as coach. UW is set to add a touted, five-player recruiting class that includes 6-foot-9 forward Michael Porter Jr., considered by some to be the top high-school prospect in the country. Porter’s father, Michael Porter Sr., is an assistant coach for the Huskies, meaning Porter Jr. likely would not want to play for the Huskies if Romar were fired.

    But a UW spokesperson said such a decision has not been made, and “we are in the same place as we were yesterday, which is planning to thoroughly evaluate all aspects of the program at the conclusion of the season.”


    http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/co ... 56343.html
    Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 3149
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:25 am
  • I do not think a decision has been made yet, but I honestly think Romar is back next season. The budget just isn't there IMO for them to fire him. His buyout number it too much, not to mention they'd have to buyout assistants which would possibly cost up to another million. Then add in the fact they need to hire a new coach, and I just don't see where the money comes from.

    What is the point of getting rid of Romar to replace him with a cheap hire? If we are going to move on with another coach, lets do it right. I'm not a Romar fan, but I want to see Michael Porter Jr. People who have watched high school sports for decades have told me that he is the best high school player they have ever seen. As good as Fultz is, I think Michael Porter Jr is even better. He is almost a clone of Kevin Durant. Missouri just fired their head coach, so there will be plenty of talk about Romar taking his recruiting class to Missouri. If UW does part ways with Romar, we will lose the recruiting class, only guys I can see staying would be the two Garfield kids, Nowell and Davis.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3192
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:29 am
  • IMO it was decided months ago. Otherwise, he would've been sent packing sometime during the 2-16 conference season, filled with blowout losses.

    I'm okay with it. He's been here 15 years or whatever, what is one more year with the top recruit in the country going to hurt? We can always fire him next year. Dickerson and Thybulle finally showing signs of life. Give him his final shot to turn it around. Hopefully he can hire someone to make him look less silly against Dana Altman.

    ETA: Is there any chance this knee thing starts to hurt Markelle?
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    User avatar
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3643
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:56 am
  • Tical21 wrote:ETA: Is there any chance this knee thing starts to hurt Markelle?


    Is the knee thing even real? I kind if figured he was pulling a Christian Mccaffrey.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22949
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:01 pm

Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:55 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/coaching-carousel-washington-to-retain-lorenzo-romar-thad-matta-to-return-at-ohio-state-032351523.html

    Not much of a surprise.


    Not the way I would have gone, but yes if you don't want to disrupt the incoming class of talent next year, Jen Cohen really didn't have a choice.

    IMO UW should be a perennial top of the Pac 12 team that makes the tourney 9 of 10 years. Period. No reason with this market, with this population base of fantastic high school players that shouldn't be the expectation.

    Romar hasn't delivered that, so as much as everyone loves him, he should be fired.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10939
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Next


It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests