UW Husky Basketball Thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Probably another year of mediocrity, but there is one bright spot this year, and his name is Markelle Fultz. Already projected as a top 5 pick for next year. The highest and most decorated hoops recruit to ever come to Washington.

The season starts tomorrow against Yale. Unfortunately, they play at 4PM right before the Seahawks so I doubt anyone will watch. I'll watch Fultz up until the Hawks game starts.

Next year will be "the year." As of now we have the #2 recruiting class for 2017, led by Michael Porter Jr who is ranked as the #2 player in the 2017 class. He is the real deal, and you can see him play his HS basketball at Nathan Hale (who is coached by former UW and NBA player Brandon Roy).

If Fultz does come back next year, we will likely be a favorite to make the final four. But that is a big questionmark, most everyone expects Fultz to jump to the NBA, but he is a different type of kid, I wouldn't be shocked if he came back for another year.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":25ew53o2 said:
Probably another year of mediocrity, but there is one bright spot this year, and his name is Markelle Fultz. Already projected as a top 5 pick for next year. The highest and most decorated hoops recruit to ever come to Washington.

The season starts tomorrow against Yale. Unfortunately, they play at 4PM right before the Seahawks so I doubt anyone will watch. I'll watch Fultz up until the Hawks game starts.

Next year will be "the year." As of now we have the #2 recruiting class for 2017, led by Michael Porter Jr who is ranked as the #2 player in the 2017 class. He is the real deal, and you can see him play his HS basketball at Nathan Hale (who is coached by former UW and NBA player Brandon Roy).

If Fultz does come back next year, we will likely be a favorite to make the final four. But that is a big questionmark, most everyone expects Fultz to jump to the NBA, but he is a different type of kid, I wouldn't be shocked if he came back for another year.
It's that bad this year?I thought this was the year..I hate having to listen to JS talk up his basketball over ours since his football was lousy this year :lol:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IndyHawk":wtae07pf said:
Hawk-Lock":wtae07pf said:

It's that bad this year?I thought this was the year..I hate having to listen to JS talk up his basketball over ours since his football was lousy this year :lol:

Even when you get the players its not going to be good because Romar is your coach.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2uw2834n said:
Hawk-Lock":2uw2834n said:

It's kind of hard to forecast UW's upcoming season. While they gain arguably the best recruit in the nation, they lose their top three scorers from last year (Andrews, Chriss and Murray). They could surprise, but they could also disappoint. One thing that should help them is that they aren't as young as they were last year. Last year they were literally playing all freshman with the exception of Andrews. Good chance Fultz will have to carry the team, which he is more than capable of.

CBS ranks Fultz as the 2nd best player in all of college basketball:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... r-2016-17/

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Fultz was awesome. Everyone else sucked. Kind of what I'm expecting this season.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This UW team may not be great, but we may have THE BEST PLAYER IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL playing in our backyard. He scored 30 points in his debut and 35 yesterday. IMO, he looks like the best Husky I've seen since BRoy's senior year. And Fultz is a freshman.

The moves at 35 seconds and 40 seconds were insane.
[youtube]wsnQY_A46oA[/youtube]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fultz is awesome, but what good is it to have a one and done player on a team that can't compete for the tournament?

As much as I love Romar the human being, he's had MORE than enough time to put together a perennial tournament team, which is what this program should be achieving every single year.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This team is really bad. If not for Fultz, I doubt I'd watch their games. UW was up 22-5, and then somehow allowed TCU to go on an 18-0 run. Right now they are down by 7, a 24 point swing in about a half of basketball. How is that even possible?

Romar is the worst, but he is here to stay, at least for one more year. He can thank Michael Porter Jr for his job.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Some highlights of Michael Porter Jr in Nathan Hale's game against Rainier Beach. Porter Jr led his team to the win with 35 points and 21 rebounds. His size and handles make him so unique, reminds me of a young Kevin Durant. The only good thing about keeping Romar around is to see this kid. I'm going to try to go to the Hale against Garfield game in January. I believe it is also going to be televised on one of the ESPN networks (ESPNU I think).

[youtube]icVtgbZXwKY[/youtube]

Here are some other highlights of him if you are not familiar with him.

[youtube]3gAWsrQLfPg[/youtube]

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I said it in the gonzaga thread. I can't believe Romar has a job still. Great recruiter, even better person, but he is the worst (second worst hello ernie kent) coach in the pac. With the amount of NBA talent he pumps out to not make the tourny is a damning stat.

The recruiting classes keep getting better yet the results are getting worse.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":uotl6c18 said:
This team is really bad. If not for Fultz, I doubt I'd watch their games. UW was up 22-5, and then somehow allowed TCU to go on an 18-0 run. Right now they are down by 7, a 24 point swing in about a half of basketball. How is that even possible?

Romar is the worst, but he is here to stay, at least for one more year. He can thank Michael Porter Jr for his job.

Now is the time to fire Romar. Porter Jr and his whole recruiting class (which is really good) have already signed their letters of intent. So they're locked into Washington whether Romar is there or not. I suppose Porter Jr could go play oversea's somewhere for a year before entering the NBA draft, but otherwise he's locked into UW unless he wants to transfer and sit out a year.

Its a move UW has to make, imo.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
UW needs to find a coach that is like Mark Few at Gonzaga. He gets players that stick with him for at least 2-3 years. Not many one and dones there. The success of Chriss and Murray hurt. If one of those guys stayed, it would probably be different. Nigel Williams-Goss also transferred because of Murray coming in. If Williams-Goss stays, things may be a bit different as well. Prior to 2015 season, the Huskies lost 2 players to graduation but the rest transferred. That is very telling.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1rdbl9r5 said:
UW needs to find a coach that is like Mark Few at Gonzaga. He gets players that stick with him for at least 2-3 years. Not many one and dones there. The success of Chriss and Murray hurt. If one of those guys stayed, it would probably be different. Nigel Williams-Goss also transferred because of Murray coming in. If Williams-Goss stays, things may be a bit different as well. Prior to 2015 season, the Huskies lost 2 players to graduation but the rest transferred. That is very telling.

The problem is that UW isn't a basketball school. The University puts very little money into the hoops program. Small chance we will get a big name coach when/if Romar leaves.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Husky basketball has been this way for quite awhile now. When Ken Bone was an assistant 10+ years ago, there was a noticeable improvement in the scheme and execution. But since he's been gone, it's been the same story...Romar landing some decent recruits, and then they underperform. And there's always excuses...my favorite is the excuse that it's harder to win with 1 and done caliber players. LOL give me a break....every big time successful NCAA basketball team has 1 and dones almost every year, and they still win.

Romar is a good recruiter, but not a very good developer. I'd rather have somebody who's better at the latter than the former. UW isn't a basketball school, but it's good enough to land some good recruits every now and then, with or without a guy like Romar. To be honest, I don't even know what the hell these players see in Romar when they're in high school. "I really want to go to Washington so I can play for Romar. That way I won't receive good coaching, and can be part of an underachieving/disappointing team."

IndyHawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2xndzayo said:
Husky basketball has been this way for quite awhile now. When Ken Bone was an assistant 10+ years ago, there was a noticeable improvement in the scheme and execution. But since he's been gone, it's been the same story...Romar landing some decent recruits, and then they underperform. And there's always excuses...my favorite is the excuse that it's harder to win with 1 and done caliber players. LOL give me a break....every big time successful NCAA basketball team has 1 and dones almost every year, and they still win.

Romar is a good recruiter, but not a very good developer. I'd rather have somebody who's better at the latter than the former. UW isn't a basketball school, but it's good enough to land some good recruits every now and then, with or without a guy like Romar. To be honest, I don't even know what the hell these players see in Romar when they're in high school. "I really want to go to Washington so I can play for Romar. That way I won't receive good coaching, and can be part of an underachieving/disappointing team."
He does have more than a few players in the pros right?There is that factor.I just cannot believe the Romar I saw playing as a kid isn't a better coach..But then again UW back then wasn't exactly any better than now.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Fultz with 26 points, 11 rebounds and 9 assists but Huskies lose at home to a really bad Washington State team. Romar needs to go....

davidonmi

Reaction score
he needed to go years ago.

I have not a clue what it will take to get his ass out the door.
MPjr won't change anything

getnasty

Reaction score
Why hold on to a coach to keep a player that's only gonna be there for a year anyways.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
There is no doubt Romar needs to go, but will he? Tough to say what new AD Jen Cohen will do. As great as Michael Porter and the rest of the incoming class is, we can't keep a coach just because of a recruiting class.

This team is really bad, and they show little to no spark on the court. It looks like a bunch of guys who don't really care. I feel bad for Fultz, because he is going to be a top 5 pick, but won't get to participate in the NCAA tournament or showcase his skills on national TV much. Fultz is the best freshman I can remember watching.