Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

UW Husky Basketball Thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: UW Husky Basketball Thread
Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:18 am
  • wasn't that yahoo story already addressed earlier in the thread by Kitsap? or did i miss something:

A University of Washington spokesperson said it is “absolutely untrue that any decision has been reached” regarding the future of men’s basketball coach Lorenzo Romar, refuting a Yahoo report indicating Romar would return as coach next season.

Romar and the Huskies recently completed the worst conference season in the history of the 18-game schedule, going 2-16 and riding a 12-game losing streak into this week’s Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas. UW is about to complete its sixth consecutive season without an NCAA tournament appearance, leading to widespread speculation that the school might fire Romar after 15 seasons.

Pat Forde of Yahoo reported that UW is unwilling to pay Romar’s $3.2 million buyout, and will retain him as coach. UW is set to add a touted, five-player recruiting class that includes 6-foot-9 forward Michael Porter Jr., considered by some to be the top high-school prospect in the country. Porter’s father, Michael Porter Sr., is an assistant coach for the Huskies, meaning Porter Jr. likely would not want to play for the Huskies if Romar were fired.

But a UW spokesperson said such a decision has not been made, and “we are in the same place as we were yesterday, which is planning to thoroughly evaluate all aspects of the program at the conclusion of the season.”
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:47 am
  • I'm hearing a lot of different things, but it sounds like a decision should come today.

Right now, it sounds like Romar may go. I've heard assistant coach Chillious has already cleared out his office.

The two main rumors I'm hearing right now is either Romar is fired, and the other being that UW retains Romar, hires Cameron Dolloar as an assistant along with possibly Ken Bone or Dan Majerle (Thunder Dan from the Suns!).

I've heard Cuonzo Martin has been offered the Mizzou job. If Romar is fired, I could see Cuonzo taking the Mizzou job and taking Romar and the Porters with him.

I really hope Romar stays. I want to see MPJ. I know this season was bad, but what is one more year. I don't think Jen makes the move without a replacement in place. If you fire Romar and have a few weeks without a coach, you can pretty much say bye to the entire recruiting class.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:02 pm
  • News should be coming very soon. Heard Romar and Cohen had a meeting this afternoon. KJR said a team meeting has been called for 3:30. Usually not a good sign. If I had to guess, I'd say he is gone.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:13 pm
  • He's been fired.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:19 pm
  • I don't like it. Unless they have a great hire in place (I don't think they do), I do not support this move. Did Romar deserve to be fired? Probably. But you make a coaching change if it can benefit your program. If we bring in a weak coach, he isn't going to be able to do much. We can basically say goodbye to the recruiting class. Only guys I think we have a shot at keeping are the two Garfield kids. My guess is Conroy will be kept on the staff to keep Seattle kids at UW.

Cuonzo Martin just got a deal worth about $3mill a year. I'm hearing Randy Bennett may go to Illinois at nearly $5 million per year. We don't have anywhere near that kind of money. My guess is we hire a coach from a smaller school. Someone like Travis Decuire from Montana.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:25 pm
  • Seems like a really bad idea on the surface to fire Romar right now. It does nothing but hurt UW Basketball it would seem.

I wonder if they might try to reunite Cameron Dollar and Ken Bone?
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:30 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:Seems like a really bad idea on the surface to fire Romar right now. It does nothing but hurt UW Basketball it would seem.

I wonder if they might try to reunite Cameron Dollar and Ken Bone?

The two names I keep hearing are Cameron Dollar and Dan Majerle. Dollar would most likely be an assistant. Majerle a possible replacement for Romar. I think ideally we would want someone like Randy Bennett, but I don't think we can afford him.

I'd much rather make this move when we have the money to make a splash hire.

Also hearing that we could see a lot of players transfer out. Percy tweeted that three starters and three incoming transfers are contemplating transferring out. I'd be shocked if they kept MPJ, Blake Harris or Diarra. I'm pretty much expecting the worst right now.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:41 pm
  • Is there any chance of keeping MPJ with any combination of hires you think?

If they somehow got whoever is coming in to add Brandon Roy as an assistant do you think that improves the chances of keeping the class together?

Edit: Never mind, just heard Porter senior is being hired @ Missouri. No chance of keeping them now.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:46 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:Is there any chance of keeping MPJ with any combination of hires you think?

If they somehow got whoever is coming in to add Brandon Roy as an assistant do you think that improves the chances of keeping the class together?

Edit: Never mind, just heard Porter senior is being hired @ Missouri. No chance of keeping them now.

Yep he's pretty much gone. The domino's fell fast today. Cuonzo took the Mizzou job. Romar fired shortly after. Then within an hour of Romar getting let go, Porter Sr hired as an assistant at Mizzou. Congrats UW, you basically shut the door on a great recruiting class, including a once in a lifetime player, MPJ. As for Mizzou, they must be very excited.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:08 pm
  • I love teh excuses people are giving..."b-but he has some top talent and more talent coming in!". The guy has failed the past 6 seasons to make the tourney. Nothing about his coaching has improved. UW would be actually WASTING talent if they continued to keep Romar. The guy can't coach.

This is a great day for Huskie fans.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:26 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:I love teh excuses people are giving..."b-but he has some top talent and more talent coming in!". The guy has failed the past 6 seasons to make the tourney. Nothing about his coaching has improved. UW would be actually WASTING talent if they continued to keep Romar. The guy can't coach.

Lets see who we hire before we stamp a grade on this move. The purpose of firing and hiring is to make sure the program is better off then where it was. If we hire a no name coach who has never been to the tournament, we will never reach the success we once had.

When you think of Romar's time at UW, it truly was a full circle. He inherited a terrible basketball program, possibly the worst power conference basketball program. He led them to stardom, only to bring them back down to where they were before he got here.

I know a lot of people don't like Romar because of the past few years, but keep in mind UW wasn't known for basketball until he came to UW. He put UW on the basketball map.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:43 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote: He put UW on the basketball map.

And for whatever reason managed to scratch it off.
    * NET Staff *

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:56 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote: He put UW on the basketball map.

And for whatever reason managed to scratch it off.

Exactly.

He got complacent with the way he coached and the staff he hired around him. Some will say the downfall of the program is because of all the one and done kids, but that is happening almost every program outside of a few. THe last few years he almost seemed to lose the fire in his belly, and his team showed it.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:01 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:I love teh excuses people are giving..."b-but he has some top talent and more talent coming in!". The guy has failed the past 6 seasons to make the tourney. Nothing about his coaching has improved. UW would be actually WASTING talent if they continued to keep Romar. The guy can't coach.

Lets see who we hire before we stamp a grade on this move. The purpose of firing and hiring is to make sure the program is better off then where it was. If we hire a no name coach who has never been to the tournament, we will never reach the success we once had.

When you think of Romar's time at UW, it truly was a full circle. He inherited a terrible basketball program, possibly the worst power conference basketball program. He led them to stardom, only to bring them back down to where they were before he got here.

I know a lot of people don't like Romar because of the past few years, but keep in mind UW wasn't known for basketball until he came to UW. He put UW on the basketball map.

Marv Harshman did that years before, who do you think played for him.

Romar went further but UW had teams for many years that had to compete with UCLA with some Hack named Wooden coaching and did it pretty well.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:16 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:I love teh excuses people are giving..."b-but he has some top talent and more talent coming in!". The guy has failed the past 6 seasons to make the tourney. Nothing about his coaching has improved. UW would be actually WASTING talent if they continued to keep Romar. The guy can't coach.

The grade is anything about "F". Can't really get lower than almost dead last in defense out of all D1 schools the past 2 years. I don't understand Romar apologists...You think it's good for the school and the reputation for the Directors and Owners at UW to not make the tourney the past 6 seasons? In 15 total seasons, never got passed the Sweet 16, either. Romar got 15 years. 15 years. I hope you weren't in favor of keeping LOLoyd McLOLndon, too.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:20 pm
  • As a Cougs fan this is sad news for me. I don't know why people care about MPJ leaving, you've seen what Romar has done with talent. There are plenty of coaches that can do a lot more with less talent. Just look what happen when UW football got a guy that could Coach talent.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:00 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:

The grade is anything about "F". Can't really get lower than almost dead last in defense out of all D1 schools the past 2 years. I don't understand Romar apologists...You think it's good for the school and the reputation for the Directors and Owners at UW to not make the tourney the past 6 seasons? In 15 total seasons, never got passed the Sweet 16, either. Romar got 15 years. 15 years. I hope you weren't in favor of keeping LOLoyd McLOLndon, too.

You act as if UW Hoops used to be good before Romar got here. Before Romar, finishing in the bottom three of the conference was the norm. Before Romar got here, we went 20 years without a tournament appearance. Do you have any idea how bad it was before Romar got here. Up until Marv Harshmin's tourney run, the team was on a 30 year tournament drought. The only reason why we even care about UW Hoops right now is because of Lorenzo Romar.

You are complaining about us not getting past the sweet 16 with Romar, when this team never even knew what the NCAA tournament was before he came here.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:10 pm
  • Lol uw basketball sucks.. it has never been good,isn't good now and most likely won't be good .
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:33 pm
  • getnasty wrote:As a Cougs fan this is sad news for me. I don't know why people care about MPJ leaving, you've seen what Romar has done with talent. There are plenty of coaches that can do a lot more with less talent. Just look what happen when UW football got a guy that could Coach talent.

The reason people care about MPJ leaving?

Ummm, because he's the #1 recruit in the nation. Someone who people are saying is like LeBron James going to a college. Could you imagine if LeBron James went to college somewhere? First of all people would forever remember that it was the place LeBron went and that alone would help with recruiting for the rest of the program's history no matter who was coaching. But also the fact that he would be an alumni and would likely continue to support and promote the university long after he was in the NBA winning championships... You know, the type of player that coug fans will never have any chance of seeing ever in their program...
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:48 pm
  • So let me get this straight, UW fans would rather have star players than tournament berths? Markelle Fultz was the number one recruit last year and you guys won 2 games... You haven't made the tournament in what 6 or 7 years? but keeping Romar is fine because you might be the team that has the next "Lebron" for one year and there is some mystical value to being that team... It would be cool to see Michael Porter Jr. play for one year, but he's not Lebron right now, and you don't mortgage your future on the possibility of an 18-year-old becoming one of the greatest of all time.

Romar needed to go...
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:03 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:
    getnasty wrote:As a Cougs fan this is sad news for me. I don't know why people care about MPJ leaving, you've seen what Romar has done with talent. There are plenty of coaches that can do a lot more with less talent. Just look what happen when UW football got a guy that could Coach talent.

Ummm, because he's the #1 recruit in the nation. Someone who people are saying is like LeBron James going to a college. Could you imagine if LeBron James went to college somewhere? First of all people would forever remember that it was the place LeBron went and that alone would help with recruiting for the rest of the program's history no matter who was coaching. But also the fact that he would be an alumni and would likely continue to support and promote the university long after he was in the NBA winning championships... You know, the type of player that coug fans will never have any chance of seeing ever in their program...

LeBron? Nobodys saying LeBron
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:08 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    getnasty wrote:As a Cougs fan this is sad news for me. I don't know why people care about MPJ leaving, you've seen what Romar has done with talent. There are plenty of coaches that can do a lot more with less talent. Just look what happen when UW football got a guy that could Coach talent.

Coach says Michael Porter Jr. going to Washington will be like LeBron James going to college

https://www.google.com/amp/www.maxpreps.com/m/article_amp.aspx%3Farticleid%3Dd47655a0-1425-4bfb-8de5-ec98d1b235b3
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:16 pm
  • If you think for a second he's anywhere close to LeBron then I would understand why you would be sad to see Romar go. Your right though his own high school coach compared him to LeBron, to bad would have been interesting to see if that talent could have beat a crummy Cougs team just once next year or maybe even get by Yale.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:20 pm
  • knownone wrote:So let me get this straight, UW fans would rather have star players than tournament berths? Markelle Fultz was the number one recruit last year and you guys won 2 games... You haven't made the tournament in what 6 or 7 years? but keeping Romar is fine because you might be the team that has the next "Lebron" for one year and there is some mystical value to being that team... It would be cool to see Michael Porter Jr. play for one year, but he's not Lebron right now, and you don't mortgage your future on the possibility of an 18-year-old becoming one of the greatest of all time.

Romar needed to go...

How is keeping Lorenzo Romar for 1 more year mortgaging the future? You act as if there's a salary cap or a draft in college basketball (there isn't, in case you weren't sure). The only way it could be seen as "mortgaging the future" is if there's was some great coach Washington could hire this year by firing Romar but will miss out on if they kept him. That's not the case. So please enlighten me on how keeping Lorenzo Romar for 1 more year to bring in the best recruiting class in the history of the school with the chance of also having an NBA all star caliber player come through your program is mortgaging the future...
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:24 pm
  • getnasty wrote:If you think for a second he's anywhere close to LeBron then I would understand why you would be sad to see Romar go. Your right though his own high school coach compared him to LeBron, to bad would have been interesting to see if that talent could have beat a crummy Cougs team just once next year or maybe even get by Yale.

That's the thing about being a coug fan, the best you can hope for is a crummy team that beats a bad Washington team every once in a while when we're on a down year. Must be a miserable existence. Sorry you chose the wrong school bud.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:35 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:
    getnasty wrote:If you think for a second he's anywhere close to LeBron then I would understand why you would be sad to see Romar go. Your right though his own high school coach compared him to LeBron, to bad would have been interesting to see if that talent could have beat a crummy Cougs team just once next year or maybe even get by Yale.

That's the thing about being a coug fan, the best you can hope for is a crummy team that beats a bad Washington team every once in a while when we're on a down year. Must be a miserable existence. Sorry you chose the wrong school bud.

Must be miserable to miss out on LeBron going to UW. Top 3 player of all time so close. Keep your chin up though pal I think eastern washington is graduating quite a few players so maybe you can sneek back into one of top 3 programs in the State of Washington next year.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:17 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:
    knownone wrote:So let me get this straight, UW fans would rather have star players than tournament berths? Markelle Fultz was the number one recruit last year and you guys won 2 games... You haven't made the tournament in what 6 or 7 years? but keeping Romar is fine because you might be the team that has the next "Lebron" for one year and there is some mystical value to being that team... It would be cool to see Michael Porter Jr. play for one year, but he's not Lebron right now, and you don't mortgage your future on the possibility of an 18-year-old becoming one of the greatest of all time.

Romar needed to go...

How is keeping Lorenzo Romar for 1 more year mortgaging the future? You act as if there's a salary cap or a draft in college basketball (there isn't, in case you weren't sure). The only way it could be seen as "mortgaging the future" is if there's was some great coach Washington could hire this year by firing Romar but will miss out on if they kept him. That's not the case. So please enlighten me on how keeping Lorenzo Romar for 1 more year to bring in the best recruiting class in the history of the school with the chance of also having an NBA all star caliber player come through your program is mortgaging the future...

You set a precedent if Romar lines up another big name are you gonna keep him after another losing season? where do you the draw the line between personnel and performance?

UW needed to send a message that they take performance seriously otherwise donors aren't going to donate (and that's a very real pressure) that is mortgaging your future, if Romar stayed one more year with MPJ and failed as badly as he did this year (with another NBA all-star caliber player) the sporting director would not have a job and UW donors would care even less than they do now.

Romar has been awful for years, you fire people who don't do their job very well, even if it means missing out on what they might bring to the table. Sorry, but just about anyone could come to UW and win more than 2 games with the #1 overall pick in the NBA draft, so I don't really need a great coach to replace Romar... just about anything will be an upgrade.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:38 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    getnasty wrote:If you think for a second he's anywhere close to LeBron then I would understand why you would be sad to see Romar go. Your right though his own high school coach compared him to LeBron, to bad would have been interesting to see if that talent could have beat a crummy Cougs team just once next year or maybe even get by Yale.

Must be miserable to miss out on LeBron going to UW. Top 3 player of all time so close. Keep your chin up though pal I think eastern washington is graduating quite a few players so maybe you can sneek back into one of top 3 programs in the State of Washington next year.

Yup, maybe soon our basketball team will get up with the rest of our athletics programs in making cougs feel like the 2nd class citizens they truly are. Glad you have one thing to help you through your days though until you can get off manure duty at the local farm. Have to admire that high end WSU education: Making the leaders of tomorrow in drug addiction and alcohol abuse since 1890
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:58 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    knownone wrote:So let me get this straight, UW fans would rather have star players than tournament berths? Markelle Fultz was the number one recruit last year and you guys won 2 games... You haven't made the tournament in what 6 or 7 years? but keeping Romar is fine because you might be the team that has the next "Lebron" for one year and there is some mystical value to being that team... It would be cool to see Michael Porter Jr. play for one year, but he's not Lebron right now, and you don't mortgage your future on the possibility of an 18-year-old becoming one of the greatest of all time.

Romar needed to go...

You set a precedent if Romar lines up another big name are you gonna keep him after another losing season? where do you the draw the line between personnel and performance?

UW needed to send a message that they take performance seriously otherwise donors aren't going to donate (and that's a very real pressure) that is mortgaging your future, if Romar stayed one more year with MPJ and failed as badly as he did this year (with another NBA all-star caliber player) the sporting director would not have a job and UW donors would care even less than they do now.

Romar has been awful for years, you fire people who don't do their job very well, even if it means missing out on what they might bring to the table. Sorry, but just about anyone could come to UW and win more than 2 games with the #1 overall pick in the NBA draft, so I don't really need a great coach to replace Romar... just about anything will be an upgrade.

If Romar brought in MPJ and lost just as bad? That same if could be IF he brought in MPJ and won with him... That's a bad argument.

Where do you draw the line? It would have been after this next year with MPJ. Murray is not MPJ and to compare the two shows a lack of knowledge on just how good MPJ gas been in HS. MPJ Is being compared to the likes of LeBron James and Kevin Durant. Murray is a great talent but no ones comparing him to that level of player because he isn't a generational type talent like MPJ.

As for not winning, Romar got the program to a the success people are clambering for now. Before Romar UW basketball was basically non-existent. The 6 years without an NCAA tourney bid is a B.S. stat too because they were completely screwed in a year they WON the Pac 12 conference but still didn't make the tournament. That was complete B.S. and had Romar's team made the tournament that year as they rightfully should have I bet anything that he would have gotten another year to coach this top 5 incoming class.

The only thing firing Romar did this year is hurt UW basketball. There's nothing to gain from firing him now but there's plenty to lose.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:28 am
  • Murray is way closer to MPJ then MPJ is to LeBron, I think you might be showing your lack of knowledge. What would happen next year if Romar finished 18-13 just missed the tournament and had another great recruiting class coming in? He would get another shot to be mediocre the following year. You'll will literally never have a problem getting talent at UW why continue to waste it?
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:38 am
  • getnasty wrote:Murray is way closer to MPJ then MPJ is to LeBron, I think you might be showing your lack of knowledge. What would happen next year if Romar finished 18-13 just missed the tournament and had another great recruiting class coming in? He would get another shot to be mediocre the following year. You'll will literally never have a problem getting talent at UW why continue to waste it?

Next year if Romar went 18-13 and missed the Tourney he'd be out. If he barely made it in he'd be out too. He'd have to show that he can finally make the adjustment to this 1 and done environment to stay any longer in my opinion.

This program was in a black hole for many years. I don't think that you can just trust that talent will always come to UW.

If MPJ ends up going into the NBA and becoming the next star (maybe not LeBron but maybe Durant) and your school is then forever known as the school that missed out on him because of what? Because they wanted to hire Cameron Dollar?
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:44 am
  • DJrmb wrote:
    As for not winning, Romar got the program to a the success people are clambering for now. Before Romar UW basketball was basically non-existent. The 6 years without an NCAA tourney bid is a B.S. stat too because they were completely screwed in a year they WON the Pac 12 conference but still didn't make the tournament. That was complete B.S. and had Romar's team made the tournament that year as they rightfully should have I bet anything that he would have gotten another year to coach this top 5 incoming class.

I don't think it was the six years Romar went without a tourney appearance that ultimately got him fired, I think it was a fundamental shift in how desperate his recruiting became.

UW has always been a school, including under Romar that recruited 4 year players that Romar could build into mature experienced teams that developed players and competed year after year.

Over the past 3-4 year Romar hasn't been able to recruit those type of players, or if he has they've jumped ship. So he got desperate and started recruiting one and done players because he knew he had to win and wasn't successful doing it the right way.

This year with Fultz was a perfect storm of everything wrong coming to fruition for him............and the kids he recruited flat out quit on him. No UW team should EVER lose like they lost this year.

THAT'S why he was fired yesterday. Cohen had no choice IMO, this is not the program UW wants to be.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:24 am
  • Hearing rumors that UW were leaning towards keeping Romar. Then apparently Michael Porter senior took the Mizzou assistant job and i'm guessing with it, his sons.

Might explain why Pat Forde got it wrong last week.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:13 am
  • I'm holding out hope Jen Cohen has something up here sleeve. I don't think she makes this move unless she has something lined up. You don't spend nearly $4 million in buyouts with nothing lined up. Here are some realistic options IMO.

Randy Bennett - Would be a great hire IMO. Has done great things with St Mary's. However, him and Romar are close friends and I've heard rumors that he would not take the job our of respect for Romar. He was an assistant under Romar at Pepperdine.

Eric Musselman - I think he'd be a good hire as he's had plenty of experience coaching, both NBA and college. Heard he is tough to work with, which may keep him off of UW's list.

Leon Rice - If we get him, we would have both of Boise St's hoops and football coach.

Dan Majerle - His name has been floated around, not sure I'd agree with this hire though.

Archie Miller - He would be my top choice, but not sure we can land him. His brother coaches at Arizona, so there is that. NC St has an opening and he played there, so would have to think he would go there before coming to UW.

And i'm not buying that rumor about Romar being fired because Porter Sr was going to bolt for Mizzou. I've seen that rumor too, but heard it doesn't have much substance to it.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:55 am
  • Wouldn't shock me if it was Brandon Roy with some experienced assistants.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:01 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Wouldn't shock me if it was Brandon Roy with some experienced assistants.

Little to no chance of that. He has almost no coaching experience except for a year of coaching at the HS level. One year HS coaches don't become coaches in the Pac-12. Also wouldn't make sense for him to leap frog fellow teammate Will Conroy who has been on the staff since 2015.

I do think he is a possible candidate down the line. Lets see how he does next year without MPJ.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:47 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Wouldn't shock me if it was Brandon Roy with some experienced assistants.

Little to no chance of that. He has almost no coaching experience except for a year of coaching at the HS level. One year HS coaches don't become coaches in the Pac-12. Also wouldn't make sense for him to leap frog fellow teammate Will Conroy who has been on the staff since 2015.

I do think he is a possible candidate down the line. Lets see how he does next year without MPJ.

I don't think Roy is an option as HC, but what about as an assistant? Do you think he's better off staying in HS and coaching as a HC or do you think it would be better for him to be an assistant coach on a college team?
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:21 pm
  • Thinking outside the box a bit.... I think Dave Smart from Carelton (Ottawa) would be an interesting candidate.

- 12 National Championships since 1999

- His teams hangs with, and sometimes beats, NCAA D1 programs when the play - has beaten Wisconsin, Memphis, Wichita State by 25; tight loss to Syracuse

- Unlike with football, the rules, teaching points, startegies and athletes aren't too disimilar between countries when it comes to basketball.

- Most importantly has the resources and pipeline to win recruiting in the GTA (greater Toronto area) which is a huge talent hotbed right now - Dillon Brooks, Ennis brothers, A Wiggins, Stauskas, Pangos, Jamal Murray, Bhullar brothers. Aside from Southern Cal and the Northeast, greater Toronto might be one of the most important areas to recruit from.

- New Mexico State is in the tournament with a Canadian head coach, so it isn't a crazy concept.

Obviously they'd still need assistants who can recruit SoCal and Sea-Tac.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:50 pm
  • The Dan Majerle rumor doesn't make sense. He has zero ties to UW and it would nice to find a coach with some NW ties. There is a good talent up here, may not be 4-5 star talent but still good enough to build a solid program around. Dan would have trouble recruiting NW kids, IMO. I'd rather they went after Detlef Schrempf. He has ties to UW and Northwest plus has some coaching experience as well.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:50 pm
  • I think Roy stays at the high school level for now. There is only room for one inexperienced assistant, and that will most likely be Will Conroy. Of all the assistants, I think Conroy is the most likely to be retained by whoever the new coach is. Conroy's main job is to recruit the local kids. Here are a few other names to keep an eye out for to replace Romar.

TJ Otzelberger - He was an assistant at UW a few years ago, and is currently the head coach at South Dakota St (his team lost to the Zags today). He is a good young coach making his way up the ranks.

Richard Pitino - Now that his team has been bounced, I expect to hear his name connected with UW. He would bring some excitement if hired because of his name. His dad knows the area, he has recruited a few players from Rainier Beach.

Kevin Keatts - He is currently the head coach of the Seahawks....of UNC Willmingham. Ever year there is a new young coach at a mid major that everyone wants, as of now it looks like he is that guy.

I've seen some fans mention Greg Marshall and Tony Bennett. Neither are very realistic because of how much money they would want. If we wanted to get Greg Marshall, we would have to pay him more than CPete makes. UW won't pay their hoops coach more than their football coach. Marshall's wife is from the Bellingham area, so there is that. Tony Bennett has ties to the area but I don't see him leaving Virginia for UW. I think he'd want a bigger job.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:02 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Murray is way closer to MPJ then MPJ is to LeBron, I think you might be showing your lack of knowledge. What would happen next year if Romar finished 18-13 just missed the tournament and had another great recruiting class coming in? He would get another shot to be mediocre the following year. You'll will literally never have a problem getting talent at UW why continue to waste it?

Next year if Romar went 18-13 and missed the Tourney he'd be out. If he barely made it in he'd be out too. He'd have to show that he can finally make the adjustment to this 1 and done environment to stay any longer in my opinion.

This program was in a black hole for many years. I don't think that you can just trust that talent will always come to UW.

If MPJ ends up going into the NBA and becoming the next star (maybe not LeBron but maybe Durant) and your school is then forever known as the school that missed out on him because of what? Because they wanted to hire Cameron Dollar?

Except that's not how the real world works, if Romar stayed on for the year he'd likely ask for long term security given all the rumors of his possible firing, this means incentivizing his remaining 3 years and adding a hefty buyout clause. That's one of the reasons Romar was likely let go, his agent was probably leveraging the addition of MPJ to get more guarantees and long-term security. In other words keeping Romar for one more year likely costs them 4-5 million more to move on in 2018 and it shows a great lack of infrastructural integrity.

How has Durrant helped Texas since he got drafted? Did you even know he went to Texas? I forgot... I had to look it up. Did you know he was committed to Carolina before changing his mind and committing to Texas? I didn't either.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:59 am
  • Hawk-Lock, I think one "I told you so" is in order.

Brandon Roy needs to be on a college or NBA bench as an assistant if he wants to take further steps.

I agree that I hope Conroy is on the next staff, as long as there are X's and O's guys as well.

I'm actually really glad Porter isn't coming here. Just stunts growth of other players. Let's do this thing the right way, we don't need mercenaries.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:13 am
  • Tical21 wrote:Hawk-Lock, I think one "I told you so" is in order.

Brandon Roy needs to be on a college or NBA bench as an assistant if he wants to take further steps.

I agree that I hope Conroy is on the next staff, as long as there are X's and O's guys as well.

I'm actually really glad Porter isn't coming here. Just stunts growth of other players. Let's do this thing the right way, we don't need mercenaries.

Agree'd.. Build the base first then get the mercenaries.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:45 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:The Dan Majerle rumor doesn't make sense. He has zero ties to UW and it would nice to find a coach with some NW ties. There is a good talent up here, may not be 4-5 star talent but still good enough to build a solid program around. Dan would have trouble recruiting NW kids, IMO. I'd rather they went after Detlef Schrempf. He has ties to UW and Northwest plus has some coaching experience as well.

I feel the opposite.

The reason we held onto Romar maybe a year or two too long is because he had NW ties and the university felt obligated to keep him because of all he means to the community and school.

IMO Cohen need to get cutthroat and start going after A list national coaches. We have the money, use it to get a top coach that'll come in here, recruit like hell and build this program up to where it deserves to be, a perennial top of the Pac 12 program making the tourney 9 out of every 10 years.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:49 am
  • Tical21 wrote:Hawk-Lock, I think one "I told you so" is in order.

Well said, agreed with most everything you said. As much as I would have loved to see MPJ, not having him next season won't have any real impact on the program in the long run.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:06 am
  • knownone wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Murray is way closer to MPJ then MPJ is to LeBron, I think you might be showing your lack of knowledge. What would happen next year if Romar finished 18-13 just missed the tournament and had another great recruiting class coming in? He would get another shot to be mediocre the following year. You'll will literally never have a problem getting talent at UW why continue to waste it?

Except that's not how the real world works, if Romar stayed on for the year he'd likely ask for long term security given all the rumors of his possible firing, this means incentivizing his remaining 3 years and adding a hefty buyout clause. That's one of the reasons Romar was likely let go, his agent was probably leveraging the addition of MPJ to get more guarantees and long-term security. In other words keeping Romar for one more year likely costs them 4-5 million more to move on in 2018 and it shows a great lack of infrastructural integrity.

How has Durrant helped Texas since he got drafted? Did you even know he went to Texas? I forgot... I had to look it up. Did you know he was committed to Carolina before changing his mind and committing to Texas? I didn't either.

I think your scenario is less how the real world works then anything I suggested. Romar had absolutely zero leverage to demand any long term security over what he already had in his contract (a 3m+ buyout). Plus Romar isn't that type of guy anyways. I highly doubt he would try to hold Washington hostage like in your scenario.

Yup I did know/remember that Durant went to Texas, and I'm sure plenty of HS kids in and around Texas know that too. You don't think that a player or two has committed to Texas to play Basketball because they idolize Durant?

How else has he helped the University? How about this:
    Kudos to Kevin Durant, who could have the most impact of any one-year student in UT history after giving $15 million to the school. The money probably will go toward endowing basketball scholarships. It takes $775,000 to endow a football scholarship, a little less for hoops.

http://www.hookem.com/2015/11/04/bohls-catching-up-with-david-ash-and-will-kds-donation-fund-hoops-scholarships/
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:23 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:The Dan Majerle rumor doesn't make sense. He has zero ties to UW and it would nice to find a coach with some NW ties. There is a good talent up here, may not be 4-5 star talent but still good enough to build a solid program around. Dan would have trouble recruiting NW kids, IMO. I'd rather they went after Detlef Schrempf. He has ties to UW and Northwest plus has some coaching experience as well.

I feel the opposite.

The reason we held onto Romar maybe a year or two too long is because he had NW ties and the university felt obligated to keep him because of all he means to the community and school.

IMO Cohen need to get cutthroat and start going after A list national coaches. We have the money, use it to get a top coach that'll come in here, recruit like hell and build this program up to where it deserves to be, a perennial top of the Pac 12 program making the tourney 9 out of every 10 years.

Money isn't an issue until it is one. Do they have money? Yes, but the basketball coach cannot and will not make more than Petersen. UW can/will around 3 million to their new basketball coach. Most likely a bit less.
    GREEDY PUNK PAUL ALLEN, THIS LOSS IS ON YOU.
    "I don't give a crap WHAT you gotta pay, Kam is worth it and I don't want to lose a shot at another SB cuz you - a freaking BILLIONAIRE, are cheapskating Kam over a freaking $900,000.
    You cheapskate."
    SalishHawkFan SEP 13, 2015 1:47 PM
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:35 am
  • DJrmb wrote:I think your scenario is less how the real world works then anything I suggested. Romar had absolutely zero leverage to demand any long term security over what he already had in his contract (a 3m+ buyout). Plus Romar isn't that type of guy anyways. I highly doubt he would try to hold Washington hostage like in your scenario.

Yup I did know/remember that Durant went to Texas, and I'm sure plenty of HS kids in and around Texas know that too. You don't think that a player or two has committed to Texas to play Basketball because they idolize Durant?

How else has he helped the University? How about this:
    Kudos to Kevin Durant, who could have the most impact of any one-year student in UT history after giving $15 million to the school. The money probably will go toward endowing basketball scholarships. It takes $775,000 to endow a football scholarship, a little less for hoops.

http://www.hookem.com/2015/11/04/bohls-catching-up-with-david-ash-and-will-kds-donation-fund-hoops-scholarships/

So you'd rather keep Romar and risk losing credibility as a program, so you can have a 1 year with a guy who might become the next Durant, on the off chance that he inspires local high school kids and donates less than 5% of what UW receives every year? That's interesting, I appreciate your commitment.

If UW is only keeping Romar because he's the only way they can get MPJ then Romar has more leverage than UW. Why would Romar want to stay on if he knows he'll be fired after MPJ leaves? He could just tell MPJ to go somewhere else and then what does UW do? Fire him after the fact? That would be a PR disaster for the university.

You saying he "isn't that type of guy" is naive to how business works, and akin to the people who thought Russell Wilson would take 10-15 million per year because he's a "Team Player".
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:14 am
  • knownone wrote:So you'd rather keep Romar and risk losing credibility as a program, so you can have a 1 year with a guy who might become the next Durant, on the off chance that he inspires local high school kids and donates less than 5% of what UW receives every year? That's interesting, I appreciate your commitment.

If UW is only keeping Romar because he's the only way they can get MPJ then Romar has more leverage than UW. Why would Romar want to stay on if he knows he'll be fired after MPJ leaves? He could just tell MPJ to go somewhere else and then what does UW do? Fire him after the fact? That would be a PR disaster for the university.

You saying he "isn't that type of guy" is naive to how business works, and akin to the people who thought Russell Wilson would take 10-15 million per year because he's a "Team Player".

I believe you're the one that's being naive to the situation. Romar could have made this firing extremely difficult for UW but instead chose to work with the school to ease some of burden of his buyout. Until you know the entire situation and what exactly Romar has FOR the UW it might be best to not accuse of being a "typical businessman" because he isn't and he's proven he isn't.

Plus it's not about claiming to have the next Durant for one year. Porter was the highlight of the class, but he wasn't the entire class. UW had a chance to have a special year next year because of the entire class and the changes that were agreed upon by Cohen and Romar in the coaching staff.
    GREEDY PUNK PAUL ALLEN, THIS LOSS IS ON YOU.
    "I don't give a crap WHAT you gotta pay, Kam is worth it and I don't want to lose a shot at another SB cuz you - a freaking BILLIONAIRE, are cheapskating Kam over a freaking $900,000.
    You cheapskate."
    SalishHawkFan SEP 13, 2015 1:47 PM
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:55 am
  • getnasty wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:

Actually he's right, overzealous radio hosts on KJR have said that.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:24 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information