Zags 2016/2017 Thread

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Playing the Aztecs tonight and wow their defense looks amazing. Long and athletic throughout the roster. I am not much for hyping them but they look like a team that can compete with anyone. Including the Kentucky's and Dukes of the world.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Great win last night for the Zags! Overly athletic teams have given us trouble before so it was nice to see us handle it well.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zags will be good. I still think NWG sucks. I hope he gets boo'ed big time when he plays at UW next year.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Do you mean he sucks as a player or that he left? There have been a few Zags that have left but I didn't hold any ill will for them for it. Oklahoma had a starter on their team(Ryan Spangler) that left the Zags a few years back who was on Oklahoma's tournament team last year. Really liked him too, but I was rooting for him, not against him.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":ubuv1cl4 said:
Do you mean he sucks as a player or that he left? There have been a few Zags that have left but I didn't hold any ill will for them for it. Oklahoma had a starter on their team(Ryan Spangler) that left the Zags a few years back who was on Oklahoma's tournament team last year. Really liked him too, but I was rooting for him, not against him.

Yeah "sucks" was probably the wrong word to use. I never liked him as a player very much, even when he was at UW. I just think he is a bit overrated. He came in as a McDonalds All-American, but he is far from one of the top players in the country. He is a solid player, but not a guy that can carry a team. He is a better fit for the Zags than UW.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3oqhfmze said:
Natethegreat":3oqhfmze said:

Yeah "sucks" was probably the wrong word to use. I never liked him as a player very much, even when he was at UW. I just think he is a bit overrated. He came in as a McDonalds All-American, but he is far from one of the top players in the country. He is a solid player, but not a guy that can carry a team. He is a better fit for the Zags than UW.
Gotcha, I was thinking it was just sour grapes he chose to leave. He has good handles and an ability to penetrate but his shooting is a little sub par. He has the ability to be really good defensively with his length and athleticism. We'll see how it plays out this year but I think this team is going to be a whole lot tougher on the defensive end this year to go along with their always good offense.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think the Zags have a lot of talent but it's going to take time to figure out rotations/matchups. I wouldn't be surprised if they had problems in Orlando after round 1.

Watching a heatlhy Karnowski is a lot of fun. Really a great story and hope he stays in the lineup well into March.

As for NWG -- he's not being asked to be 'the guy' every night, so if doesn't have his shot going, other guys should step up. Last night against a cupcake he didn't really get his shot going but Perkins was on fire.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Good win for the Zags after a poor start in the first half. Way too many turnovers but they turned it around in the second half. Florida will be a top 25 rpi win at the end of the year I think. Refs managed to foul out three Zags. The officiating was one sided all game long but they overcame it which is what good teams do.
Championship game against Iowa State Sunday at 10:30 which is odd.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Natethegreat":ja10vk4a said:
Good win for the Zags after a poor start in the first half. Way too many turnovers but they turned it around in the second half. Florida will be a top 25 rpi win at the end of the year I think. Refs managed to foul out three Zags. The officiating was one sided all game long but they overcame it which is what good teams do.
Championship game against Iowa State Sunday at 10:30 which is odd.

Agreed, the officiating was absolute trash the entire game. Gonzaga looked rattled the first half, and then really settled down and outplayed florida by a wide margin in the second half. Final score was a lot closer than it should have been. With fair officiating Zags would have won by 15 plus.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zags win the tournament taking out Iowa St in the finals. They are a good team, similar to most of their successful teams. Well coached, a lot of experience, and deep. Tough to say if they are better than last year.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Big win for GU against Arizona. We always have barn burner games but end up just short. Finally got over the top this year. I never realized just how good Karnowski can be if not doubled down low. He was dominate.

Edit: also I'm not sure what is up with Jordan Matthews but he has been terrible the last few games. We will need him to step up his game come tourney time. I thought he was supposed to be a deadly three point shooter and he has been anything but so far.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zona isn't that good this year. Good win but not as good as most would think.

billyberu

Reaction score
Tonight's game should be a depressing affair for the Husky faithful.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
billyberu":nz42mbcj said:
Tonight's game should be a depressing affair for the Husky faithful.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yes, it will be hard for me to watch.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Man I expected the Zags to win pretty easily but 27-6 to start the game. Getting run out of the building 10 minutes in.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I am not a UW Basketball fan this year, I am just a Markelle Fultz fan this year.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I hate the Zags, but glad to see them thump UW. Can't believe Romar still has a job. Great recruiter, even better person. But at some point you have to make the tourny with all the first round draft picks you keep pumping out.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
It will be the same old story for Gonzaga. Top 25 team all year, advance a round or two in the NCAA tournament and then get bounced.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags pull away late but the Zips were a really tough, physical, and well coached team. I have no doubt they will be playing in the tourney this year. Solid win for Gonzaga.
As for Gonzaga they have terrific length and athleticism and have been able to turn this into an outstanding defense this year. Couple this with another well oiled machine on the offensive end and they have a really good team this year.
My main concern is they are a terrible defensive rebounding team. This is something that could keep them from breaking into the final four this year. If they can improve here I think they have an excellent chance.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Gonzaga's main problem is that they play in the WCC. While they challenge themselves early in the non conference schedule, they basically go into hibernate mode from January up until the NCAA tournament. Not playing big meaingful games for three months and then having to play the top teams in the country doesn't help them. The Zags would benefit so much if they could play in a better conference. It would be like if the Seahawks only played the 49ers and Browns for the last 10 weeks of the schedule, and then had to take on the great teams.