Zags 2016/2017 Thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Zags 2016/2017 Thread
Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:34 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:I'd like to see Gonzaga win the championship just to find out how many folks still won't give them any credit.

If they win it all, I'll give them credit. And it's nothing wrong with them, they simply play who is matched up with them. It's not their fault Arizona choked away the game. I'm just saying they are very lucky to get the draw they got. I watch a ton of college hoops, Xavier isn't great. They got hot and went on a little run. SC got seeded in their home state for the first two games to get there. Florida is solid, but nothing that great.

Assuming they hold on here, tell me how this isn't a lucky draw.

6th best team from Big 10.
    4th best team from the Big 12.
    7th Best team from the Big East.

And that gets them to the final four. And the Big 10 was bad this year, so was the Big East with an exception to Nova.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:49 pm
  • West Virginia was #6 in Ken Pomeroy so that was a hell of a win. Agreed Xavier isn't a great team but Gonzaga has earned everything this year.

We're going to foul out our entire team and still win.
    * NET Staff *

Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:59 pm
  • Zags are really good, I'm not saying they aren't. I'm just saying they got a really easy path to the championship game. The right side of the bracket is much tougher than the side the Zags are on. Zags will cruise to the championship game IMO, whereas the winner of the right side of the bracket will have to go through a lot to get there. Look at Kentucky, they will have to go through Wichita, UCLA and UNC just to get to the final four. If I had to rank the remaining eight teams I'd rank it in this order....UNC, KU, Zags, Kentucky, Oregon, Florida, SC, Xavier. Nothing wrong with being lucky.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:24 pm
  • WOW! That was an absolute beat-down that the Zags just put on Xavier! Congratulations to Gonzaga -- they played a great game and are well deserving of a trip to the Final Four. Nice job and best of luck the rest of the way!!!
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:32 pm
  • Back in November we really had no idea if this team was going to be any good. Basically a bunch of transfers and freshmen and Karnowski coming off of back surgery. Amazing how everything that could go right has gone right.
    * NET Staff *

Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:36 pm
  • I could care less if Hawk lock or anyone else wants to denigrate the Zags and their accomplishments. Incredible year and its not over. I think this Zag team can win it all.
    I said before the game the Zags were primed to break out and have a great offensive game and boy did they. Zags would have beaten Arizona as well just like last time( and I doubt it would have been close) this team is really really good.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:51 pm
  • Congrats Zags on making the Final Four. Now make me a believer and win it all.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:21 pm
  • Man, been waiting for this for a long time. So happy for them boys. Go Zags!!!!
    Alert The Legion.
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:10 pm
  • Way to go Zags! Get it done.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:34 pm
  • Congrats zags
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:09 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Zags are so lucky.

Played the weakest 8/9 seed IMO.

WVU was good, I give them credit for that one.

They really lucked out playing Xavier. They're on a nice run, but they are a bubble team who is playing without one of their best players.

Then they get either Florida or South Carolina. Neither of those teams are final four material IMO. Both limped into the tourney.

You start to lose respect when your blatant bias shows. Oh so since they played Xavier that means it wasnt legit? They had to play ARZ to win your heart over? Yeah well they already did and beat them. Florida, SC, and Gonzaga don't deserve to be there, huh? Really? I guess all the double digit seeds who have ever got to the Final Four didn't deserve it either. They weren't "final four material". Why even play the games? Why even have the term underdog? Why practice? Lets just put all the 1 seeds straight to the Final Four. Oh wait, no, because if we did that, that would mean this year Gonzaga would STILL make the Final Four, and that's just unacceptable. That Mark Few guy? Psh he's just a lucky coach.

So what exactly is "final four material" to you, almighty basketball God? That's a rhetorical question, btw. Go to bed.

It's really saddening when a mid-major WCC team has sustained success over the past 15+ years and when they finally do break through, they are greeted with nothing but disrespect. Just shows you that more than sports here is at play. Big difference between not being a fan of a team and having a bias towards a team because of something political (perhaps?). You tell me.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:21 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Zags are so lucky.

They really lucked out playing Xavier. They're on a nice run, but they are a bubble team who is playing without one of their best players.

Then they get either Florida or South Carolina. Neither of those teams are final four material IMO. Both limped into the tourney.

You start to lose respect when your blatant bias shows. Oh so since they played Xavier that means it wasnt legit? They had to play ARZ to win your heart over? Yeah well they already did and beat them. Florida, SC, and Gonzaga don't deserve to be there, huh? Really? I guess all the double digit seeds who have ever got to the Final Four didn't deserve it either. They weren't "final four material". Why even play the games? Why even have the term underdog? Why practice? Lets just put all the 1 seeds straight to the Final Four. Oh wait, no, because if we did that, that would mean this year Gonzaga would STILL make the Final Four, and that's just unacceptable. That Mark Few guy? Psh he's just a lucky coach.

So what exactly is "final four material" to you, almighty basketball God? That's a rhetorical question, btw. Go to bed.

It's really saddening when a mid-major WCC team has sustained success over the past 15+ years and when they finally do break through, they are greeted with nothing but disrespect. Just shows you that more than sports here is at play. Big difference between not being a fan of a team and having a bias towards a team because of something political (perhaps?). You tell me.

I will add that South Carolina team that isn't 'Final Four Material' (whatever that means) busted 7.3 million brackets when they beat Duke, who he would no doubt call 'Final Four Material'.
    This is becoming far too common for my tastes.

RIP Cortez Kennedy, 1968-2017

RIP Sir Roger Moore, 1927-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:50 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Zags are so lucky.

Did I say Gonzaga was bad? I've said many times in here that Gonzaga is a great team. All I said was they got a great draw. Weren't people on here complaining about the Patriots getting a cakewalk to the SB? Gonzaga got to play a 9 seed, a 4 seed and an 11 seed to get to the final four. That's the definition of a good draw. Sure, I probably am biased, but as someone who doesn't care much for Oregon or Gonzaga, it's day and night when you compare who they've played up to this point. I don't fault the Zags, they simply play who they're matched up against. If anything, more power to them for not having to play such a tough schedule to the Final Four.

Go to bed? Seriously?

To sum it up, Zags are good. They are Final Four material, but they got an easy path. More power to them.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:59 pm
  • They played an 8 seed a 4 seed and an 11 seed that destroyed both a 6 and 3 seed and beat the almighty Arizona Wildcats. They played the highest seeds they could play till Xavier.

Their path was neither easy nor a given. They won not because of luck or an easy draw but because they are damn good.

You being a Husky fan have a really hard time seeing that let alone admitting it. Doesn't matter, they are in the final four with a chance to win it all. Regardles, whether or not jealous PAC 12 fans want to give them credit or not its been an incredible year.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:42 am
  • Hawkstorian wrote:I'd like to see Gonzaga win the championship just to find out how many folks still won't give them any credit.

At least one that is right above you.

I am from Spokane and the wife and brother in law are alumni.

Go Zags.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:47 pm
  • South Carolina. Zags should breeze into the final.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:53 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:South Carolina. Zags should breeze into the final.

I hope your right, but SC is the second best defensive team in the nation (behind Gonzaga) and another extremely tough nosed and scrappy team(much like WVU) that absolutely destroyed Duke whom everyone was calling the best team in the nation before the tourney got underway.
    This post smells like another Pac 12 honk trying to denigrate the Zags much like Hawk lock. If they make the championship its because they will have earned it.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Zags 2016/2017 Thread
Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:54 pm
  • My wife wants a Bulldog hoodie.

That's saying something, even if y'all don't understand.

I worked for EZ loader for several years, drank beer in Jack&Dan's 2 or 3 nights a week.

Go Bulldogs

#screwthehaters
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:58 pm
  • nate, you must do great with the ladies cuz you're one sensitive dude.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:06 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:South Carolina. Zags should breeze into the final.

SC great defense but offense is ranked 179th. They are toward the bottom of the entire D1 in assists. Zags should win but it will be a grind fest. We all know defense usually wins chips.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:12 pm
  • Has a team ever had an easier path to the championship game than Gonzaga?
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:13 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:nate, you must do great with the ladies cuz you're one sensitive dude.

Just responding to all the pat pat yeah your good but comments and excuses from those in this thread who just can't break free from their preconcieved idea of who Gonzaga is.

For example from Hawk Lock: It will be the same old story for Gonzaga. Top 25 team all year, advance a round or two in the NCAA tournament and then get bounced. WRONG

Hawk Lock:Zags are a good team, but it will be the same old song and dance for them. They will get rewarded with a high seed, make it to the second weekend, but once they play a really good battle tested team like a Kentucky or North Carolina, they will lose. Zags get no help from playing garbage teams for 3 months straight and then having to play the big boys. WRONG

Hawk Lock:As much as I like this team, I don't like them to make a deep run like a lot of other people expect. They don't have the dominating guard play that can take you far in March. NWG, Mathews, and Perkins are nice, but they aren't the type of guys who can carry a team on their back in the tourney. Nearly every recent national champion has had a dominant guard. WRONG

Jseahawks:Wouldnt be so sure about that. I bet whoever wins the pac 12 tourney is #1 seed out west now. UCLA, Arizona and Oregon all have better resumes. WRONG

Tical:Let's go Zags!! This is our year! Elite 8 or bust!! WRONG

Appropriately named Dopeboy: Gonzaga will lose to West Virginia tomorrow. You heard it here first. WRONG

Tical: lol at the thought of the Zags winning four straight against teams more athletic than them. WRONG
    Last edited by Natethegreat on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:14 pm
  • So isn't this three teams in the Final Four for the first time? Or was that just coaches?
    Josea16
    NET Starter

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:22 pm
  • Josea16 wrote:So isn't this three teams in the Final Four for the first time? Or was that just coaches?

Ducks were in the first ever Final 4, and haven't been back since.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:22 pm
  • Josea16 wrote:So isn't this three teams in the Final Four for the first time? Or was that just coaches?

SC and Gonz are there for the first time, Oregon for the first time since 1939
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:29 pm
  • By the way Jseahawks the team who has gotten the easiest path to the final four imo is Oregon. Creighton had lost their star player and were never the same.
    Michigan was a 7 seed much like SC whom you call a breeze to beat and then a highly overrated Kansas team that has no inside game whatsoever( I said this before the tourney started in this same thread and had them losing in the elite eight).
    See, anyone can play this game! Man, Oregon is the luckiest team to ever make the final four.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:33 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:South Carolina. Zags should breeze into the final.

I hope your right, but SC is the second best defensive team in the nation (behind Gonzaga) and another extremely tough nosed and scrappy team(much like WVU) that absolutely destroyed Duke whom everyone was calling the best team in the nation before the tourney got underway.
    This post smells like another Pac 12 honk trying to denigrate the Zags much like Hawk lock. If they make the championship its because they will have earned it.

Eyeball test says UO has the better d, saying the zags are tops is like compairing apples and oranges. And I don't think J was saying anything about he zags getting an easy draw.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:34 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Josea16 wrote:So isn't this three teams in the Final Four for the first time? Or was that just coaches?

Ducks were in the first ever Final 4, and haven't been back since.

I thought they were so it's the coaches. Either way it's pretty cool and neat to have two West Coast teams with possibly two Southeast teams or one East and one Southeast team.
    Josea16
    NET Starter

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:37 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:By the way Jseahawks the team who has gotten the easiest path to the final four imo is Oregon. Creighton had lost their star player and were never the same.
    Michigan was a 7 seed much like SC whom you call a breeze to beat and then a highly overrated Kansas team that has no inside game whatsoever( I said this before the tourney started in this same thread and had them losing in the elite eight).
    See, anyone can play this game! Man, Oregon is the luckiest team to ever make the final four.

We never played Creightin.

I'd be perfectly fine if we played all 16 seeds. In 5 years you think anybody cares who was beaten along the way?

The tourney is not about beating the best, it's about beating who you play.

If you're worried about your street cred I'd happily switch places and let you play Kentucky or North Carolina and we'll play South Carolina
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:48 pm
  • I'm not going to keep going into this, because it is a never ending argument. Gonzaga is a great team. Easily one of the best five teams in the country. But I don't care what people say, they got a favorable draw. Beating a #16, #9, #4, #11, and a #7 seed to get to the championship game is very favorable. Oregon's run was much more difficult, and it's not even comparable. First of all, Oregon didn't play Creighton, they played RI. Rhode Island and Michigan were the two hottest teams going into the NCAA tournament. Both won their conference tournaments and had a ton of momentum. Then take into account Oregon beat a #1 seed to get into the Final Four, whereas Gonzaga beat a #11 seed. And you can call me biased, but I actually have more dislike for Oregon than Gonzaga. And I understand the theory of...."If you are a #11 seed (Xavier) and you beat a #3 seed (Florida St) and a #2 seed (Arizona) then you are a great team." March Madness is built for upsets, a bad team can beat a good team on any given night. If Xavier played Arizona in a 7-game series, Xavier probably lose that series more times than not. Are the Rams a great team because they beat the Seahawks nearly every season? No. Do I think South Carolina is one of the four best teams in the country? No. But they got hot at the right time and got favorable matchups. There is a reason why Gonzaga was a 8.5 point favorite over Xavier, whereas they likely would have been a pick'em against Arizona.

I'm just upset at Arizona for blowing that game away. I was really looking forward to a great Elite 8 game between Arizona and Gonzaga. FWIW, I think Zags probably would have won that game.

I think Zags beat SC, but won't be easy. SC is a good team that is playing good ball. If Zags win it all, then I give them all the respect they deserve. If you can beat Oregon/UNC/UK, then you're a champion.

And yes Nate, I was wrong about Gonzaga going into the tournament. I thought they would get bounced, because recent history told me so. I will happily eat my crow. But I didn't expect them to play such weak teams on their way there. If you told me they would play Northwestern, WVU, Xavier and SC, I would have chosen them to go to the final four.

GL to your Zags. I will be rooting for them and Oregon, as I want to see a westcoast matchup. If that does happen, I will root for Oregon as I like their style of play more and I'm very bitter of NWG leaving UW for Gonzaga.
    Last edited by Hawk-Lock on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:48 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:By the way Jseahawks the team who has gotten the easiest path to the final four imo is Oregon. Creighton had lost their star player and were never the same.

I'd be perfectly fine if we played all 16 seeds. In 5 years you think anybody cares who was beaten along the way?

If you're worried about your street cred I'd happily switch places and let you play Kentucky or North Carolina and we'll play South Carolina

I would pick the Zags against Kentucky all day. UNC not so much as they rebound the offensive glass extremely well and that is the one possible weakness the Zags have. That game would be close though.
    Personally I'm rooting for an all west coast final. First because I think the Ducks are a great match up for us but also because I am a west coast guy and I would just like to see a west coast team win.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:51 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:By the way Jseahawks the team who has gotten the easiest path to the final four imo is Oregon. Creighton had lost their star player and were never the same.

I would pick the Zags against Kentucky all day. UNC not so much as they rebound the offensive glass extremely well and that is the one possible weakness the Zags have. That game would be close though.
    Personally I'm rooting for an all west coast final. First because I think the Ducks are a great match up for us but also because I am a west coast guy and I would just like to see a west coast team win.

Agreed. Give me Zags over Kentucky any day. I'd probably take UNC over Gonzaga though.

Like J said, more power to you with the favorable draw. If I'm Gonzaga, I'd much rather have "weak street cred" and play SC than have to play UK or UNC.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:07 pm
  • Btw, I used to teach Nigel Williams Goss at happy valley elementary school before he went down to Nevada for high school, so I have a rooting interest in gonzaga too.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:25 pm
  • Bump.

Go bulldogs

#Haterssuck
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:51 pm
  • It is pretty simple actually. If Gonzaga plays like they did against South Dakota State and Northwestern they lose.

If they play like they did against West Virginia, it is a toss up.

If they play like they did against Xavier, they will win.

Gonzaga has more all around team talent than anyone left in the field. If they play to their potential, they could win the whole thing.

As far as playing higher seeds to get to where they are, those other teams that would have given Gonzaga a "better game" are sitting at home licking their wounds.
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:26 pm
  • Zags heading to the National Championship!

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:33 pm
  • I fully expect cable to draft karnowski.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:42 pm
  • Fun game. First full (well, mostly full) college basketball game I've watched this season . . . and maybe longer than that . . . the ending, while happy with the victory, reminded me why I seldom watch sports live anymore. Too tense!
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:58 pm
  • Way to go, Zags! All the way!
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:22 pm
  • Good job Gonzaga

- Husky fan
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:03 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:I fully expect cable to draft karnowski.

Hahaha it's like you're inside my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mort
    NET Rookie

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:26 pm
  • It's Gonzaga vs. North Carolina.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:40 pm
  • Title game is a toss up to me. UNC has the length and experience, great ball movement. Elite offense. Zags match that with their elite defense. UNC moves the ball better offensively. More NBA like, but their defense is ranked 120th or something. I like a high scoring showdown. Zags need their Twin Towers to play well!
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:19 pm
  • Tar Heels seem to be able to make a slew of timely shots when they need them, so as long as Zags can do same (unlike Oregon), minimize turnovers, and keep dominating on defense, they could win it all. Karnowski vs Meeks should be fun to watch.
    Watch us move the chains all the way to Minnesota 2/4/18
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:17 pm
  • Congratulations Zags! Incredible win.

That 16-0 run left me bewildered but they didn’t put pressure on themselves-they just dug in, stuck to their gameplan, played tough defense and battled.

UNC will have Meeks inside to power Karnowski but Collins is so smooth and even versatile with his mid-range shots that he could be the difference maker. Should be a very entertaining title game. Go Zags!
    2017 Adopt a Rookie: Tedric Thompson
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:37 am
  • Great game last night! It would have been really cool to have seen Oregon make it (ugh!! To miss by 1 stinking point!) and to have an All Pacific Northwest Title Game ... but at least Gonzaga pulled it out. What a performance! Congratulations to the Zags! It's kind of weird for me seeing the evolution of this team and where they are now. I spent 10 years living in Spokane and remember that program and what it was like back in the Dan Fitzgerald and Dan Monson days. To see them grow from a small, fringe cinderella WCC program who was humbled just to being invited to the NCAA Tournament ... to now a Title Contender?!? It's a real testament to the unbelievable job Mark Few and his coaching staff has done there.

NOW ... Finish it off Zags! Make the Northwest proud and bring home the trophy!
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:32 pm
  • A couple of things Zags need to do tomorrow. First, don't get killed on the boards. Gonzaga is really not a bad rebounding team but very inconsistent. When J3 is playing with high energy this team is way better.

Second, stay out of stupid foul trouble. Zach Collins had a great game Saturday but he has had foul trouble just about every tourney game.

If they can keep those two things under control they should be in great shape.
    * NET Staff *

Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:42 pm
  • I think NWG is going to have to play the game if his life. What gave the ducks problems wasn't the size of NC's bigs, but the size of their wings. They're long guys who made things rough on Dorsey and Brooks. I don't see anybody from gonzaga who matches up well with Justin Jackson. My prediction is Carolina by about 10. But if Williams Goss has a real good game Gonzaga could be our champions.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:09 pm
  • It should be a good game. I will be on UNC ML tomorrow. I don't see them going to back to back championships and losing both.

I think UNC puts Pinson on NWG and contains him. Like J mentioned, I don't see anyone on Gonzaga who can guard Jackson. While the bigs of Gonzaga may match up well with UNC, I think their athleticism will be a problem for Gonzaga. Collins will likely be the key factor for Gonzaga. I think Matthews will have to be hitting his three's for Gonzaga to have a chance. On the other side, Berry will have to play better if UNC wants to win. I've said this all year, but when Jackson and Berry are on, they are basically unbeatable.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:01 am
  • How are there three other threads above this one today? Get your priorities right people!
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 5:36 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information