Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Zags 2016/2017 Thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Zags 2016/2017 Thread
Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:53 pm
  • Playing the Aztecs tonight and wow their defense looks amazing. Long and athletic throughout the roster. I am not much for hyping them but they look like a team that can compete with anyone. Including the Kentucky's and Dukes of the world.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Re: Zags 2016/2017 Thread
Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:00 pm
  • Great win last night for the Zags! Overly athletic teams have given us trouble before so it was nice to see us handle it well.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:03 pm
  • Zags will be good. I still think NWG sucks. I hope he gets boo'ed big time when he plays at UW next year.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:49 pm
  • Do you mean he sucks as a player or that he left? There have been a few Zags that have left but I didn't hold any ill will for them for it. Oklahoma had a starter on their team(Ryan Spangler) that left the Zags a few years back who was on Oklahoma's tournament team last year. Really liked him too, but I was rooting for him, not against him.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:36 am
  • Natethegreat wrote:Do you mean he sucks as a player or that he left? There have been a few Zags that have left but I didn't hold any ill will for them for it. Oklahoma had a starter on their team(Ryan Spangler) that left the Zags a few years back who was on Oklahoma's tournament team last year. Really liked him too, but I was rooting for him, not against him.

Yeah "sucks" was probably the wrong word to use. I never liked him as a player very much, even when he was at UW. I just think he is a bit overrated. He came in as a McDonalds All-American, but he is far from one of the top players in the country. He is a solid player, but not a guy that can carry a team. He is a better fit for the Zags than UW.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:53 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:Do you mean he sucks as a player or that he left? There have been a few Zags that have left but I didn't hold any ill will for them for it. Oklahoma had a starter on their team(Ryan Spangler) that left the Zags a few years back who was on Oklahoma's tournament team last year. Really liked him too, but I was rooting for him, not against him.

Yeah "sucks" was probably the wrong word to use. I never liked him as a player very much, even when he was at UW. I just think he is a bit overrated. He came in as a McDonalds All-American, but he is far from one of the top players in the country. He is a solid player, but not a guy that can carry a team. He is a better fit for the Zags than UW.

Gotcha, I was thinking it was just sour grapes he chose to leave. He has good handles and an ability to penetrate but his shooting is a little sub par. He has the ability to be really good defensively with his length and athleticism. We'll see how it plays out this year but I think this team is going to be a whole lot tougher on the defensive end this year to go along with their always good offense.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:02 am
  • I think the Zags have a lot of talent but it's going to take time to figure out rotations/matchups. I wouldn't be surprised if they had problems in Orlando after round 1.

Watching a heatlhy Karnowski is a lot of fun. Really a great story and hope he stays in the lineup well into March.

As for NWG -- he's not being asked to be 'the guy' every night, so if doesn't have his shot going, other guys should step up. Last night against a cupcake he didn't really get his shot going but Perkins was on fire.
    * NET Staff *

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:41 pm
  • Good win for the Zags after a poor start in the first half. Way too many turnovers but they turned it around in the second half. Florida will be a top 25 rpi win at the end of the year I think. Refs managed to foul out three Zags. The officiating was one sided all game long but they overcame it which is what good teams do.
    Championship game against Iowa State Sunday at 10:30 which is odd.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:09 pm
  • Natethegreat wrote:Good win for the Zags after a poor start in the first half. Way too many turnovers but they turned it around in the second half. Florida will be a top 25 rpi win at the end of the year I think. Refs managed to foul out three Zags. The officiating was one sided all game long but they overcame it which is what good teams do.
    Championship game against Iowa State Sunday at 10:30 which is odd.

Agreed, the officiating was absolute trash the entire game. Gonzaga looked rattled the first half, and then really settled down and outplayed florida by a wide margin in the second half. Final score was a lot closer than it should have been. With fair officiating Zags would have won by 15 plus.
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:44 pm
  • Zags win the tournament taking out Iowa St in the finals. They are a good team, similar to most of their successful teams. Well coached, a lot of experience, and deep. Tough to say if they are better than last year.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:55 pm
  • Big win for GU against Arizona. We always have barn burner games but end up just short. Finally got over the top this year. I never realized just how good Karnowski can be if not doubled down low. He was dominate.

Edit: also I'm not sure what is up with Jordan Matthews but he has been terrible the last few games. We will need him to step up his game come tourney time. I thought he was supposed to be a deadly three point shooter and he has been anything but so far.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:25 pm
  • Zona isn't that good this year. Good win but not as good as most would think.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:17 am
  • Tonight's game should be a depressing affair for the Husky faithful.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    billyberu
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 am
  • billyberu wrote:Tonight's game should be a depressing affair for the Husky faithful.

Yes, it will be hard for me to watch.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:33 pm
  • Man I expected the Zags to win pretty easily but 27-6 to start the game. Getting run out of the building 10 minutes in.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:27 am
  • I am not a UW Basketball fan this year, I am just a Markelle Fultz fan this year.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:34 pm
  • I hate the Zags, but glad to see them thump UW. Can't believe Romar still has a job. Great recruiter, even better person. But at some point you have to make the tourny with all the first round draft picks you keep pumping out.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:14 pm
  • It will be the same old story for Gonzaga. Top 25 team all year, advance a round or two in the NCAA tournament and then get bounced.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:56 pm
  • Zags pull away late but the Zips were a really tough, physical, and well coached team. I have no doubt they will be playing in the tourney this year. Solid win for Gonzaga.
    As for Gonzaga they have terrific length and athleticism and have been able to turn this into an outstanding defense this year. Couple this with another well oiled machine on the offensive end and they have a really good team this year.
    My main concern is they are a terrible defensive rebounding team. This is something that could keep them from breaking into the final four this year. If they can improve here I think they have an excellent chance.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:59 pm
  • Gonzaga's main problem is that they play in the WCC. While they challenge themselves early in the non conference schedule, they basically go into hibernate mode from January up until the NCAA tournament. Not playing big meaingful games for three months and then having to play the top teams in the country doesn't help them. The Zags would benefit so much if they could play in a better conference. It would be like if the Seahawks only played the 49ers and Browns for the last 10 weeks of the schedule, and then had to take on the great teams.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:27 pm
  • Zags blowing Tennessee out very early. This team is definitely built different. Defense is outstanding and the offense looks mighty potent too. Zags may just go undefeated this year. I doubt it but I don't see any more than two losses.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:19 pm
  • Zags beat St. Marys by 23. Are they for real? I don't know. But they are a very balanced team for sure.
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:00 am
  • a Zags final four this year would really be nice considering how UW and Seahawks ended their seasons, and how Romar continues to not be a good basketball coach. If the Zags lose by another choke job in the tourney I just might develop cancer.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:49 am
  • I was impressed by the Gaels last night. They are a good team that I think wins a game or two in the tourney. The Zags are really good and I do believe this is their best team they have ever assembled. The defense is far and a way better than most other years and the offense is incredible.
    I wonder were they end up ranked after this week. If they are able to win out or even have one to two losses they very well could secure a 1 seed this year. Pretty early but I like their chances.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:27 am
  • To bad UO and the Zags couldn't play right now, it would be a hell of a game.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:27 am
  • Zags are a good team, but it will be the same old song and dance for them. They will get rewarded with a high seed, make it to the second weekend, but once they play a really good battle tested team like a Kentucky or North Carolina, they will lose. Zags get no help from playing garbage teams for 3 months straight and then having to play the big boys.

But this is one of the more interesting Zag teams. Few did a great job of piecing this team together. Three of the five starters are transfers (NWG, Mathews and Williams).
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:05 pm
  • Just read that the Zags in kenpoms adjusted rankings are currently 7th in the nation on offense but 6th in the nation on defense. Very balanced and good team.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:18 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Zags are a good team, but it will be the same old song and dance for them. They will get rewarded with a high seed, make it to the second weekend, but once they play a really good battle tested team like a Kentucky or North Carolina, they will lose. Zags get no help from playing garbage teams for 3 months straight and then having to play the big boys.

But this is one of the more interesting Zag teams. Few did a great job of piecing this team together. Three of the five starters are transfers (NWG, Mathews and Williams).

I'm not sure Zaga beats a Kentucky or Villanova or UCLA, etc even by playing in a more battle tested conference - but they are a very good team this year. And probably one of the most balanced teams in the nation.

I could see this team being the first Zaga team to crack the Final 4.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:13 pm
  • #1 in KenPom.

The thing I really like about this team is it's an 8 man rotation with no weakness. All 8 guys can score and all 8 play defense. This is a team built to win in March and it's going to be a lot of fun to see what happens.
    * NET Staff *

Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:00 pm
  • This is a very good Zags team, like someone said above, the best team that Few has put together. Very strong to make a deep run in the tourney, but the tourney comes down to matchups. These guys are your but the young guys are getting a lot of experience. Excited to see where this team goes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Diezel Dawg
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:40 pm
  • Diezel Dawg wrote:This is a very good Zags team, like someone said above, the best team that Few has put together. Very strong to make a deep run in the tourney, but the tourney comes down to matchups. These guys are your but the young guys are getting a lot of experience. Excited to see where this team goes.

Disagree. I think their best team was from two years ago when they lost to Duke, who ended up winning the whole thing. That team was so stacked that Sabonis came off the bench as a freshman. While I think this years team might be their best defensive team, I don't think it's their best overall team. Give me the team from two years ago with Pangos, Bell, Wiltjer, Sabonis and Karnowski over this team.

As much as I like this team, I don't like them to make a deep run like a lot of other people expect. They don't have the dominating guard play that can take you far in March. NWG, Mathews, and Perkins are nice, but they aren't the type of guys who can carry a team on their back in the tourney. Nearly every recent national champion has had a dominant guard.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:12 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Diezel Dawg wrote:This is a very good Zags team, like someone said above, the best team that Few has put together. Very strong to make a deep run in the tourney, but the tourney comes down to matchups. These guys are your but the young guys are getting a lot of experience. Excited to see where this team goes.

Disagree. I think their best team was from two years ago when they lost to Duke, who ended up winning the whole thing. That team was so stacked that Sabonis came off the bench as a freshman. While I think this years team might be their best defensive team, I don't think it's their best overall team. Give me the team from two years ago with Pangos, Bell, Wiltjer, Sabonis and Karnowski over this team.

As much as I like this team, I don't like them to make a deep run like a lot of other people expect. They don't have the dominating guard play that can take you far in March. NWG, Mathews, and Perkins are nice, but they aren't the type of guys who can carry a team on their back in the tourney. Nearly every recent national champion has had a dominant guard.

If January is any indication of March, a lot of top seeds better look out. Upsets galore so far.

I should know, I bet college basketball and have been getting my ass kicked. :lol:
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:46 am
  • I thought this would be an off year for Gonzaga but they are really good. They are so balanced and I do think this the team that might be able to make a run at the final four. Whether you hate Mark Few or not he is one hell of a recruiter!!!
    peppersjap
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:33 pm
  • UW would be so so lucky to have Few instead of Romar. I hope Few never leaves.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:40 pm
  • Few will never leave Gonzaga for UW. Washington isn't a basketball school. This isn't Coach Pete leaving Boise St for UW. UW is a football school. If Few leaves Gonzaga (which I doubt he ever will), it will be to coach a big name school like a UCLA or Arizona.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:45 am
  • Here is a good article with a lot of stats and comments from coaches regarding the Zags and whether they are legit contenders for the final four.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2692 ... contenders

I have been following the Zags for over 20 years and I can say with complete confidence this is the best team Few has had. Doesn't guarantee a final four but betting against them wouldn't be a wise move.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:17 pm
  • Great article.

I agree with certain parts, disagree with others. This is definitely one of the Zags best team. Most likely their most "complete team." I've stated before that I prefer their team from two years ago over this team. But in the end, it isn't really about how good you are, it is about the path to the final four. I mean look at the Falcons in the NFL, all they had to do was win two home games against a reeling Seahawks team and a Packers team that had a lot of key guys on IR. If the Zags can draw a favorable path, I like their chances.

I do completely disagree that they could have four potential NBA players. Zach Collins is the only NBA talent on that team. Other guys will get looks in the summer league, but guys like NWG aren't playing in the NBA.

I watch a ton of college basketball. It's my favorite sport. I've seen nearly every top 25 team multiple times. The Zags are as good as any team. They might be the most complete team in the nation. That doesn't mean they're the best, but they are very well rounded. On a neutral court, I can probably only name a few times I'd give a slight edge to. UNC is really good and balanced. While I like Kansas and Nova, they both lack bigs and depth in the frontcourt. If Duke can figure it out, they are easily one of the most talented teams. The most talented team IMO is Florida St, but they remind me so much of UW during their glory days. You know the coach (Leonard Hamilton) will fail them when the big game comes around, similar to Romar.

Toughest game of the conference schedule this weekend for the Zags at St Mary's. Curious to see what the line will be, I'd guess the Zags will be a short favorite of 1 or 2 points.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:03 am
  • I think NWG will get a shot at the NBA but probably not drafted. A typical high level guard who does everything well but not one thing that stands out. Not really a great distributor so hard to see him as an NBA 1.

Collins will be a #1 but probably needs one more year.

Killian Tillie has had an uneven freshmen year but I could see him developing into an NBA talent.

Karnowski is tough call. He's a big dude with low post skills but he'll have a tough time running up and down the floor at the next level. He's probably a better fit for Europe, although he should get a shot in summer league.

A couple of freshmen who haven't played this year both have athleticism and talent -- Hachimura and Norvell. They'll both be in the rotation next year and could enter the discussion.

Will be a great game tonight!
    * NET Staff *

Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:38 pm
  • Another good win for the Zags. If they win out they deserve the top seed hands down. Every advanced metric has the Zags number one. Ken pom has an adjusted effeciency rating system he uses and the Zags are the highest rated team since he started 13 years ago except for Kentucky in 2015.
    The Zags are well above the field this year when it comes to record and anything less than the top spot is nothing more than the big boys protecting their own.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:43 am
  • Crizilla wrote:UW would be so so lucky to have Few instead of Romar. I hope Few never leaves.

IMO if Few was ever going to leave, he would have taken the UO job when it was offered to him. He's from the Eugene area, and has tons of ties to Oregon, he's a graduate of UO (which is why I think he's never set up a series with the ducks.). I think he's a lifer for the zags. And if he left, I'd doubt it would be to go to UW given his background.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:16 am
  • Very impressive win last night. Zags are for real. Pressure will be on them to win in the NCAA tournament. Looks like Zags will go undefeated in the regular season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:20 am
  • Yeah zags. Next to the Seahawks, this is my team. I remember in 99, I was in high school. We were allowed to get out of class and got to go to the auditorium and watch zag games. I had already been a fan for years, so I was in heaven. They got the elite eight that year, and the legend was born. I don't know if they will win it all, but I am proud of these young guys. They will be listed as Natl champs in my bracket this year. I bet uw fans hate losing nwg now.

Man, I hope they can do it. Make spokane the center of the college bball universe for the year.
    Click the link, I dare you! You will love it!!!!
    https://youtu.be/RTycAlWhrt8

https://youtu.be/RaqSNpWDyCc
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 am
  • Good year for west coast basketball. Gonzagas, Arizona, ucla and Oregon all in the top 7 in the latest AP poll.

As for Gonzaga, I expect them to be out after the sweet 16, just like always.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:13 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Good year for west coast basketball. Gonzagas, Arizona, ucla and Oregon all in the top 7 in the latest AP poll.

Wanna wager your dignity on it?

billyberu
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:36 pm
  • I agree with JS that it is nice to see the west coast doing well in college hoops. It's been a long time since a west coast team has made the final four, I think the last one was that UCLA team that had Westbrook and Kevin Love.

What people don't realize about march madness that it really comes down to the path you get to the final four. Just because Oregon may make it further in the tournament than Gonzaga doesn't mean Oregon is better than Gonzaga. A lot of it has to do with how the chips fall. Sometimes you get a great path, other times you get screwed. Remember when Wichita got the #1 seed a couple years ago but had to play the 8/9 seed Kentucky Wildcats who were loaded with talent? I will say this, it wouldn't surprise me if the committee screws the Zags just like they did Wichita the year they were a 1 seed.

Oregon and Gonzaga are very similar teams IMO. Both are very well balanced. Both are very deep.

UCLA is the wildcard. I could see them going to the final four or exiting early. They have the most talent of all the west coast teams, but play the worst defense and have the worst coach.
    Last edited by Hawk-Lock on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:43 pm
  • billyberu wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Good year for west coast basketball. Gonzagas, Arizona, ucla and Oregon all in the top 7 in the latest AP poll.

Wanna wager your dignity on it?

I have no dignity to wager my man.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:21 pm
  • Scored seats to the regular season finale vs. BYU. I've been working sources like crazy but it's been a tough ticket! Happy to get a chance to see this team in person, they are fun to watch.
    * NET Staff *

Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:08 pm
  • Big BUMP for 30-0 tonight! Go Zags!
    * NET Staff *

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:30 pm
  • Down goes Gonzaga.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:37 pm
  • Bad game for Gonzaga, terrible from the free throw line. Out hustled by BYU. BYU hit every timely shot. Gonzaga didn't block out numerous times. Terrible turnovers.

Few drives me nuts sometimes. He never played any zone in the game and didn't show any pressure at all.
    BEVELL IS THE DEVIL
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information