Chris Sale traded to Red Sox

mistaowen

Reaction score
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/r ... -sale.html

The Red Sox and White Sox have announced a trade that will send Chris Sale from Chicago to Boston in exchange for prospects Yoan Moncada, Michael Kopech, Luis Alexander Basabe and Victor Diaz.

Some good young prospects sent to the White Sox, Red Sox get a Cy Young level pitcher. Pretty even trade I'd say, especially since Sale was clear he wanted a new team.

Funny how Rick Porcello, the 2016 Cy Young winner, will be 3rd in their rotation now.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":f4zny2e3 said:
Meh.

They thought they had it in the bag when they landed David Price.

He did as expected. Slow start, good end of the season, awful playoffs. Sale should take a lot of pressure off him. Interested to see how that division plays out.

Hearing rumors the Orioles aren't in discussion to extend Manny Machado, which would be a huge get for a team with the budget. Yankees are developing a good farm system and aren't afraid to throw tons of cash at players. Could see him and Bryce Harper ending up there.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This probably puts the Red Sox as the front runners to come out of the AL. Sale, Price, Porcello is a great front end of the rotation, then add in knuckleballer Steven Wright and you have a great rotation. Red Sox achillies the past few years has always been their starting pitching, doubt that will be a problem anymore.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Wow the Red Sox pulled off a nice trade..That rotation is what every time dreams of from 1-3

gowazzu02

Reaction score
You see the contract Chapman just got from NY. MAN 17 mill a year for 70 innings of work is crazy.

But Cleveland showed all you need is a scrappy offense and a lock down bullpen and you can get far.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1aptr0cm said:
You see the contract Chapman just got from NY. MAN 17 mill a year for 70 innings of work is crazy.

But Cleveland showed all you need is a scrappy offense and a lock down bullpen and you can get far.

Crazy deal. I'd never give that to him. The funny thing, I don't even think he is a top 3 closer in MLB. Yes he can throw fast, but he has also shown he can be wildly erratic. He was pretty average in the postseason, and got bailed out a few times thanks to good hitting by the Cubs in the WS. I'd take Britton, Kimbrell, Andrew Miller (even though he isn't a closer), and probably even Jansen over him.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":4xn12e55 said:
gowazzu02":4xn12e55 said:

Crazy deal. I'd never give that to him. The funny thing, I don't even think he is a top 3 closer in MLB. Yes he can throw fast, but he has also shown he can be wildly erratic. He was pretty average in the postseason, and got bailed out a few times thanks to good hitting by the Cubs in the WS. I'd take Britton, Kimbrell, Andrew Miller (even though he isn't a closer), and probably even Jansen over him.

Agreed, but people fall in love with triple digits on the gun. You're right though on the closer list, Although i'd remove Kimbrel, he got old last year. Did Wade Davis get hurt last year too? He was unhittable the year prior.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Supposedly they're looking to move Clay Buchholz. Dude has the talent to be an ace but cannot be relied on to stay healthy. Could be a nice addition for a team looking for a solid 2-4 pitcher, don't think any teams would want him as their #1 though.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
mistaowen":3a3xwcr0 said:
Supposedly they're looking to move Clay Buchholz. Dude has the talent to be an ace but cannot be relied on to stay healthy. Could be a nice addition for a team looking for a solid 2-4 pitcher, don't think any teams would want him as their #1 though.

No thanks, Bucholtz has been so hit or miss, mainly miss the past few years. When he is bad, he is one of the worst starting pitchers in the league.

Quintana, the other really good pitcher on the White Sox is apparently available, I'd like to see us going after him.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3o4sn7h5 said:
mistaowen":3o4sn7h5 said:

No thanks, Bucholtz has been so hit or miss, mainly miss the past few years. When he is bad, he is one of the worst starting pitchers in the league.

Quintana, the other really good pitcher on the White Sox is apparently available, I'd like to see us going after him.

Oh absolutely, Clay finished with I think a 5+ era this year. He was giving up BOMBS for awhile too, he'd get up 1-2 and then hum a belt high fast ball and watch it go 500 feet. But he's also been able to dominate. I think he could get some looks from a lesser NL team.

Quintana is someone to build around and if the White Sox are going full re-build like it looks, should get as much as possible for him.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
mistaowen":19y2gndw said:
Hawk-Lock":19y2gndw said:
mistaowen":19y2gndw said:

Oh absolutely, Clay finished with I think a 5+ era this year. He was giving up BOMBS for awhile too, he'd get up 1-2 and then hum a belt high fast ball and watch it go 500 feet. But he's also been able to dominate. I think he could get some looks from a lesser NL team.

Quintana is someone to build around and if the White Sox are going full re-build like it looks, should get as much as possible for him.

If we could get Quintana, him and Paxton would be two of the better hard throwing lefties in the league. Would really like to see us go after him. Last i heard the Astros were trying to get him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Filthy rotation. Have to think the Sox and Tribe are the teams to beat in the AL next season.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3n5ui68m said:
mistaowen":3n5ui68m said:
Hawk-Lock":3n5ui68m said:
mistaowen":3n5ui68m said:

If we could get Quintana, him and Paxton would be two of the better hard throwing lefties in the league. Would really like to see us go after him. Last i heard the Astros were trying to get him.

The WhiteSox got a haul for Sale, but surprisingly,,,they got almost MORE when the traded Adam Eaton to the Nats. Man that was a fleecing.... Also puts our Walker trade in perspective.

Giolito was the top ranked righty in the minors much like Walker was. Obvi Walker has more ML time but both were underwelming in the bigs. M's got the major hit leader w/ 30 steals at SS. The Nats got a 15/15 left fielder.