Seattle Sounders Offseason thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:12 pm
  • Seattle has acquired Harry Shipp from Montreal for general allocation money.

    http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2 ... am-seattle

    He's only 25 and was a finalist for ROY in 2014 with Chicago.
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9209
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:51 pm
  • Of the players the Sounders declined on, I'd like to see Ivanschitz back. He was decent and still could be a key player next season.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6008
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:21 pm
  • Sounds like another move may be in the works as well.

    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9209
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:34 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:Sounds like another move may be in the works as well.



    Holy moly do I hope it's this rumor that came out yesterday

    http://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders- ... sfer-rumor

    Can you imagine?
























    I SAID CAN YOU IMAGINE!!!???
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:02 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Sounds like another move may be in the works as well.



    Holy moly do I hope it's this rumor that came out yesterday

    http://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders- ... sfer-rumor

    Can you imagine?






















    I SAID CAN YOU IMAGINE!!!???


    This would be fantastic. The Lodeiro connection to Benedetto is a major advantage here. Hope this happens. If it does, it may mean the end of Clint Dempsey in Seattle. Sounders still need to add depth in many areas. Having Benedetto, Lodeiro, and Dempsey could be a huge strain on the finances.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6008
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:44 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    This would be fantastic. The Lodeiro connection to Benedetto is a major advantage here. Hope this happens. If it does, it may mean the end of Clint Dempsey in Seattle. Sounders still need to add depth in many areas. Having Benedetto, Lodeiro, and Dempsey could be a huge strain on the finances.


    The Lodeiro connection is what gives me hope that this rumor has some teeth to it. It's no secret that Benedetto loved playing with Lodeiro.

    I also don't think this means the end of Dempsey. Benedetto can play winger, which means Dempsey can stay up top and roam like he likes to do.

    Wanna see a bomb?

    http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/y ... tto-092516
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:38 am
  • The other move is a trade with Houston for Will Bruin.

    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9209
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:41 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Well that rumor didn't last long.

    http://www.sounderatheart.com/2016/12/2 ... ca-juniors

    According to the translation of the tweet in the article he's staying at Boca until June, meaning he can still be a midseason pick-up a la Lodiero.

    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9209
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:56 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Well that rumor didn't last long.

    http://www.sounderatheart.com/2016/12/2 ... ca-juniors

    According to the translation of the tweet in the article he's staying at Boca until June, meaning he can still be a midseason pick-up a la Lodiero


    Yep, wasn't a coincidence that the Bruin signing was literally minutes after this probably fell through.

    Looks like we're gonna hold off on another DP until June, which is fine.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:21 am
  • So im assuming bruin and shipp aren't dp's? Writing is on the wall for Valdez.

    Would like to know soon whats happening with dempsey.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 948
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:26 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:So im assuming bruin and shipp aren't dp's? Writing is on the wall for Valdez.

    Would like to know soon whats happening with dempsey.


    yeah neither is a DP. Bruin makes 300k a year and Shipp only 105k per year. Both can easily fit under our cap, especially with guys like Ivanschitz and Mears gone.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:58 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:So im assuming bruin and shipp aren't dp's? Writing is on the wall for Valdez.

    Would like to know soon whats happening with dempsey.

    Valdez was told he wouldn't be back unless he took a big paycut.
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9209
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:22 am
  • I'm a huge fan of the Shipp deal the kids got potential to play for the national team but he's bounced in between pretty bad situations over the last few years. If Seattle gives him a chance he could be a fixture in the first 11 for the next 5-10 years.

    Both Bruin and Shipp provide youth and depth which is a plus given the guys they are replacing are 32+ years of age.

    In my eyes, a move for Benedetto would signal the end of Dempsey as they both succeed in roughly the same role, mostly due to Dempsey's age. The rumor of Soudani makes much more sense for the Sounders if they intend to keep Dempsey, Soudani is a creative player with pace and striking ability which IMO the Sounders desperately need going forward to create balance in the attack in the presence of Dempsey's diminishing pace. I'm not saying Benedetto, Dempsey, Morris, and Lodeiro wouldn't succeed... I just feel that Soudani would make the Sounders a much more dangerous team with Dempsey around.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1238
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:06 pm
  • Sounders are linked to a couple of Japanese players- Hiroshi Kiyotake and Keisuke Honda - http://www.sounderatheart.com/2016/12/28/14106168/sounders-hiroshi-kiyotake

    I'm not sold on these guys but who knows they may be good players in rave green. If they signed them, it'll be a "meh" type of emotion from me. I'd rather they kept Ivanschitz over Kiyotake. Kiyotake would probably cost more than Ivanschitz too. As for Honda, I prefer a Lexus or BMW.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6008
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:23 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Sounders are linked to a couple of Japanese players- Hiroshi Kiyotake and Keisuke Honda - http://www.sounderatheart.com/2016/12/28/14106168/sounders-hiroshi-kiyotake

    I'm not sold on these guys but who knows they may be good players in rave green. If they signed them, it'll be a "meh" type of emotion from me. I'd rather they kept Ivanschitz over Kiyotake. Kiyotake would probably cost more than Ivanschitz too. As for Honda, I prefer a Lexus or BMW.


    I saw the Honda rumor earlier in the week, seems far fetched.............even though he isn't happy right now at AC Milan, he's not even starting.

    And he's 30, not the type of DP I want us going after, even though I think he'd be a poor man's Ichiro if he played in Seattle, he'd have a HUGE following.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:54 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Sounders are linked to a couple of Japanese players- Hiroshi Kiyotake and Keisuke Honda - http://www.sounderatheart.com/2016/12/28/14106168/sounders-hiroshi-kiyotake

    I'm not sold on these guys but who knows they may be good players in rave green. If they signed them, it'll be a "meh" type of emotion from me. I'd rather they kept Ivanschitz over Kiyotake. Kiyotake would probably cost more than Ivanschitz too. As for Honda, I prefer a Lexus or BMW.


    I saw the Honda rumor earlier in the week, seems far fetched.............even though he isn't happy right now at AC Milan, he's not even starting.

    And he's 30, not the type of DP I want us going after, even though I think he'd be a poor man's Ichiro if he played in Seattle, he'd have a HUGE following.


    Good point about Honda having a huge following. Didn't consider that until you brought it up. Honda's production has tailed off quite a bit. He scored in double digits in 2009 but since then he's not been much of a scoring threat. He would an ok signing if they hadn't picked up Bruin. Bruin has a potential to be better and is a younger player.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6008
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:38 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Sounders are linked to a couple of Japanese players- Hiroshi Kiyotake and Keisuke Honda - http://www.sounderatheart.com/2016/12/28/14106168/sounders-hiroshi-kiyotake

    I'm not sold on these guys but who knows they may be good players in rave green. If they signed them, it'll be a "meh" type of emotion from me. I'd rather they kept Ivanschitz over Kiyotake. Kiyotake would probably cost more than Ivanschitz too. As for Honda, I prefer a Lexus or BMW.


    I saw the Honda rumor earlier in the week, seems far fetched.............even though he isn't happy right now at AC Milan, he's not even starting.

    And he's 30, not the type of DP I want us going after, even though I think he'd be a poor man's Ichiro if he played in Seattle, he'd have a HUGE following.


    Good point about Honda having a huge following. Didn't consider that until you brought it up. Honda's production has tailed off quite a bit. He scored in double digits in 2009 but since then he's not been much of a scoring threat. He would an ok signing if they hadn't picked up Bruin. Bruin has a potential to be better and is a younger player.


    Now Kiyotake? That's another story.

    Dude is fast as hell, and a more accurate passer than Honda........and younger (26, 27?). Plus he's a natural winger, so it wouldn't mess with Morris having to change position or formation. He's already got a goal and two assists in three matches with Sevilla.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:08 pm
  • Sounders have made an offer to Sebastian Blanco, currently with San Lorenzo in Argentina. Seattle also placed a bid for him last summer when it looked like the deal for Lodiero might fall through.
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9209
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:19 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Sounders have made an offer to Sebastian Blanco, currently with San Lorenzo in Argentina. Seattle also placed a bid for him last summer when it looked like the deal for Lodiero might fall through.


    Blanco's a goal scoring machine, but I worry about his size in the MLS..........he's only like 5'6 or 5'7 and 140 lbs.

    MLS and it's clumsy thuggish defenders aren't very kind to small goal scoring mids and forwards.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:31 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Sounders have made an offer to Sebastian Blanco, currently with San Lorenzo in Argentina. Seattle also placed a bid for him last summer when it looked like the deal for Lodiero might fall through.


    Blanco's a goal scoring machine, but I worry about his size in the MLS..........he's only like 5'6 or 5'7 and 140 lbs.

    MLS and it's clumsy thuggish defenders aren't very kind to small goal scoring mids and forwards.

    9 goals & 8 assists in 73 appearances for San Lorenzo. I wouldn't call him a goal scoring machine.
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9209
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:54 pm
  • Valdez has officially left, gone back to his home country
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 948
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:03 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Sounders have made an offer to Sebastian Blanco, currently with San Lorenzo in Argentina. Seattle also placed a bid for him last summer when it looked like the deal for Lodiero might fall through.


    Blanco's a goal scoring machine, but I worry about his size in the MLS..........he's only like 5'6 or 5'7 and 140 lbs.

    MLS and it's clumsy thuggish defenders aren't very kind to small goal scoring mids and forwards.

    9 goals & 8 assists in 73 appearances for San Lorenzo. I wouldn't call him a goal scoring machine.


    I only see 55 appearances on the stat site.......and so far this year 3 goals in 11 appearances, that's not too shabby for an attacking mid.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:59 am
  • Does anyone care if I turn the thread into general MLS discussion?

    Could be a nice move for the new MLS squad in my city

    http://www.espnfc.us/story/3036419/minnesota-united-close-to-signing-rasmus-schuller-sources

    I like moves like this for the MLS. Young player, international and opting to play in the MLS instead of one of the lower Euro leagues. More of these moves will see the quality of the MLS go up, and maybe keep more American's here instead of option for these other leagues (outside the 5/6 major ones...)

    Minnesota youth player Jackson Yueill is one of the top prospects heading into the draft on Friday. He would be the 5th MN born player to play in the MLS and 12th overall to play professionally in the last 6 years.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10909
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:26 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Does anyone care if I turn the thread into general MLS discussion?

    Could be a nice move for the new MLS squad in my city

    http://www.espnfc.us/story/3036419/minnesota-united-close-to-signing-rasmus-schuller-sources

    I like moves like this for the MLS. Young player, international and opting to play in the MLS instead of one of the lower Euro leagues. More of these moves will see the quality of the MLS go up, and maybe keep more American's here instead of option for these other leagues (outside the 5/6 major ones...)

    Minnesota youth player Jackson Yueill is one of the top prospects heading into the draft on Friday. He would be the 5th MN born player to play in the MLS and 12th overall to play professionally in the last 6 years.


    I like any big MLS signing, old and young players alike. Because all it does is raise the level of play and more importantly the exposure of the league.

    For as much as I kick Garber and the owners in the nuts over their lack of transparency and unwillingness to open the books for scrutiny, I applaud them for getting creative with the allocation/DP/under 23 DP rules so the league can continue to grow. That's not an easy task, to try and keep the LA Galaxy's of the world (and Sounders) from just buying trophies, while still giving clubs the means to go out and sign good to great players.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:23 am
  • I have a feeling Minnesota may become Sounders East. Their ownership seems to be keyed in and I have a feeling they will be well supported. As for buying trophies...until Seattle has as many MLS cups as Galaxy I refuse to believe they'll be on a par with the Galaxy and NY teams and snap up any good foreign player wanting to come to the league. Foreign players will always want to go to those markets as they are more glamorous
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 948
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:25 am
  • Any update on Dempsey? I hope they make a decision soon one way or another so we aren't sitting around last minute trying to replace him like Oba. Especially as they have to fill Valdez DP spot as well. I know he got called up to USMNT cap but i'm not reading much into that.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 948
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:41 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I have a feeling Minnesota may become Sounders East. Their ownership seems to be keyed in and I have a feeling they will be well supported. As for buying trophies...until Seattle has as many MLS cups as Galaxy I refuse to believe they'll be on a par with the Galaxy and NY teams and snap up any good foreign player wanting to come to the league. Foreign players will always want to go to those markets as they are more glamorous


    Its a good ownership group and a fantastic soccer city (filled with great youth soccer coaches...)

    The support for the NASL team was fairly decent. I will be intrigued, however, if people are willing to come out with consistency to see the MLS team.

    Like many MLS cities, this one's soccer fans connect with European teams quite well.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10909
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:25 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Any update on Dempsey? I hope they make a decision soon one way or another so we aren't sitting around last minute trying to replace him like Oba. Especially as they have to fill Valdez DP spot as well. I know he got called up to USMNT cap but i'm not reading much into that.

    The front office is "cautiously optimistic" he'll be available for the preseason.

    http://www.espnfc.com/seattle-sounders- ... ailability
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9209
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:18 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Sounders have made an offer to Sebastian Blanco, currently with San Lorenzo in Argentina. Seattle also placed a bid for him last summer when it looked like the deal for Lodiero might fall through.


    Blanco's a goal scoring machine, but I worry about his size in the MLS..........he's only like 5'6 or 5'7 and 140 lbs.

    MLS and it's clumsy thuggish defenders aren't very kind to small goal scoring mids and forwards.

    9 goals & 8 assists in 73 appearances for San Lorenzo. I wouldn't call him a goal scoring machine.


    Feel like we should make this thread the Generic Cascadian MLS team thread since we get the odd Timbers fan and sometimes rare Whitecaps fan pop in. Apparently Portland have bid $4.5 million for Blanco. If this is the case, I wonder if they try and cash in on Nagbe rather than have 2 DP's on the wing positions. Nagbe has been linked with a move to Europe, so it may happen.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 948
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:21 pm
  • I'll keep up the Minnesota and KC news
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10909
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:09 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Sounders have made an offer to Sebastian Blanco, currently with San Lorenzo in Argentina. Seattle also placed a bid for him last summer when it looked like the deal for Lodiero might fall through.


    Blanco's a goal scoring machine, but I worry about his size in the MLS..........he's only like 5'6 or 5'7 and 140 lbs.

    MLS and it's clumsy thuggish defenders aren't very kind to small goal scoring mids and forwards.

    9 goals & 8 assists in 73 appearances for San Lorenzo. I wouldn't call him a goal scoring machine.


    Feel like we should make this thread the Generic Cascadian MLS team thread since we get the odd Timbers fan and sometimes rare Whitecaps fan pop in. Apparently Portland have bid $4.5 million for Blanco. If this is the case, I wonder if they try and cash in on Nagbe rather than have 2 DP's on the wing positions. Nagbe has been linked with a move to Europe, so it may happen.


    I saw this yesterday.

    Doesn't this reek of the league stepping in and making sure Blanco goes to Portland because they're losing Nagbe?

    I assume Seattle can outbid Portland if the want to, so I hope the league isn't meddling.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:19 am
  • Isn't that effectively what the league did for Seattle and Dempsey?

    Also, why would Nagbe choose Celtic over the MLS? The only thing they offer over the MLS is 6 Champs league games.

    Celtic just signed Kouassi Eboue... not sure what impact that has on their pursuit of Nagbe. Not effectively similar players but both are money on the books.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10909
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:44 pm
  • The regular season schedule was released today.

    http://www.soundersfc.com/schedule?mont ... lters_form

    The MLS Cup rematch will be Saturday, May 6 in Seattle. Sounders close the season with back-to-back Sunday home games on October 15 & 22, so that should give us an idea on when the Seahawks may get their bye week. Sounders also have a home match on Sunday, September 10 so the Seahawks will be starting the season on the road.
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9209
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:03 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Isn't that effectively what the league did for Seattle and Dempsey?

    Also, why would Nagbe choose Celtic over the MLS? The only thing they offer over the MLS is 6 Champs league games.

    Celtic just signed Kouassi Eboue... not sure what impact that has on their pursuit of Nagbe. Not effectively similar players but both are money on the books.


    Celtic are a far, far bigger club than Portland and any MLS team that's why and have a coach who at the moment is getting the best out of his talent with Brendan Rodgers. They are just hamstrung by being in a small league/country but have a bigger support than most EPL teams. Plus if he does well there he is far likely to get a move to a top EPL team see: Van Dijk, Wanyama, Forster etc.

    I don't think Celtic are still interested in Nagbe though, I think Portland were pretty firm in their demands...at least for noe.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 948
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:14 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Isn't that effectively what the league did for Seattle and Dempsey?

    Also, why would Nagbe choose Celtic over the MLS? The only thing they offer over the MLS is 6 Champs league games.

    Celtic just signed Kouassi Eboue... not sure what impact that has on their pursuit of Nagbe. Not effectively similar players but both are money on the books.


    Celtic are a far, far bigger club than Portland and any MLS team that's why and have a coach who at the moment is getting the best out of his talent with Brendan Rodgers. They are just hamstrung by being in a small league/country but have a bigger support than most EPL teams. Plus if he does well there he is far likely to get a move to a top EPL team see: Van Dijk, Wanyama, Forster etc.

    I don't think Celtic are still interested in Nagbe though, I think Portland were pretty firm in their demands...at least for noe.


    I know who Celtic are... and Brendan Rodgers.

    Far bigger club in a league that, at best, is equal to the MLS. Much the same as going to Ajax for example. Big name, solid fan base, play 6 Euro games a season and drift off into the shadows only to repeat again in the Summer.

    Celtic is a stepping stone for ambitious players to Europe, nothing more (again, much like Ajax). So, my point was, if Nagbe is ambitious why choose Celtic at this point? He's 26... why choose another stepping stone.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10909
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:20 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Isn't that effectively what the league did for Seattle and Dempsey?

    Also, why would Nagbe choose Celtic over the MLS? The only thing they offer over the MLS is 6 Champs league games.

    Celtic just signed Kouassi Eboue... not sure what impact that has on their pursuit of Nagbe. Not effectively similar players but both are money on the books.


    The league absolutely facilitates where DP's play, but it's a combo of cost and options of where the DP wants to play.

    I highly doubt Blanco would choose Portland over Seattle..........this to me seems different, like the league REALLY wants that Nagbe transfer money so they're sweetening the pot for Portland by switching Blanco's destination from Seattle to Portland for roughly the same loan fees.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:23 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Isn't that effectively what the league did for Seattle and Dempsey?

    Also, why would Nagbe choose Celtic over the MLS? The only thing they offer over the MLS is 6 Champs league games.

    Celtic just signed Kouassi Eboue... not sure what impact that has on their pursuit of Nagbe. Not effectively similar players but both are money on the books.


    The league absolutely facilitates where DP's play, but it's a combo of cost and options of where the DP wants to play.

    I highly doubt Blanco would choose Portland over Seattle..........this to me seems different, like the league REALLY wants that Nagbe transfer money so they're sweetening the pot for Portland by switching Blanco's destination from Seattle to Portland for roughly the same loan fees.


    So the only difference here is the team it benefits? Because it certainly wanted its most dynamic US player at the time in the city with the largest crowd
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10909
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:32 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Isn't that effectively what the league did for Seattle and Dempsey?

    Also, why would Nagbe choose Celtic over the MLS? The only thing they offer over the MLS is 6 Champs league games.

    Celtic just signed Kouassi Eboue... not sure what impact that has on their pursuit of Nagbe. Not effectively similar players but both are money on the books.


    The league absolutely facilitates where DP's play, but it's a combo of cost and options of where the DP wants to play.

    I highly doubt Blanco would choose Portland over Seattle..........this to me seems different, like the league REALLY wants that Nagbe transfer money so they're sweetening the pot for Portland by switching Blanco's destination from Seattle to Portland for roughly the same loan fees.


    So the only difference here is the team it benefits? Because it certainly wanted its most dynamic US player at the time in the city with the largest crowd


    I have no idea what you're saying Si.

    All I know is the Timber's rejected the rumored 2M transfer fee from Celtic in December, now all of a sudden with the prospects of getting Blanco they're open to letting Nagbe go.

    That stinks of the league meddling............and it's not just like Dempsey coming here because there was no other Dempsey rumor out there, which means it didn't affect other clubs who were suppose to get him and got screwed cause we lost our DP and needed a replacement more than them.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:35 pm
  • Im saying the MLS meddled in being sure Dempsey ended up at Seattle.

    Which is fine. Just seems disingenuous to be upset that perhaps it was aiding Portland this time.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10909
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:43 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Im saying the MLS meddled in being sure Dempsey ended up at Seattle.

    Which is fine. Just seems disingenuous to be upset that perhaps it was aiding Portland this time.


    I wouldn't be upset if Blanco wasn't rumored to be coming here first.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:45 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Im saying the MLS meddled in being sure Dempsey ended up at Seattle.

    Which is fine. Just seems disingenuous to be upset that perhaps it was aiding Portland this time.


    I wouldn't be upset if Blanco wasn't rumored to be coming here first.


    I guess I barely see the difference, but I do see it.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10909
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:54 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Isn't that effectively what the league did for Seattle and Dempsey?

    Also, why would Nagbe choose Celtic over the MLS? The only thing they offer over the MLS is 6 Champs league games.

    Celtic just signed Kouassi Eboue... not sure what impact that has on their pursuit of Nagbe. Not effectively similar players but both are money on the books.


    Celtic are a far, far bigger club than Portland and any MLS team that's why and have a coach who at the moment is getting the best out of his talent with Brendan Rodgers. They are just hamstrung by being in a small league/country but have a bigger support than most EPL teams. Plus if he does well there he is far likely to get a move to a top EPL team see: Van Dijk, Wanyama, Forster etc.

    I don't think Celtic are still interested in Nagbe though, I think Portland were pretty firm in their demands...at least for noe.


    I know who Celtic are... and Brendan Rodgers.

    Far bigger club in a league that, at best, is equal to the MLS. Much the same as going to Ajax for example. Big name, solid fan base, play 6 Euro games a season and drift off into the shadows only to repeat again in the Summer.

    Celtic is a stepping stone for ambitious players to Europe, nothing more (again, much like Ajax). So, my point was, if Nagbe is ambitious why choose Celtic at this point? He's 26... why choose another stepping stone.


    Because Nagbe is still super raw and still hasn't found his position and probably nowhere near ready for going to a top level EPL club. I think a club like Celtic could bring out his potential that he doesn't always show. If he can be good for 2 years and do well in the big games, he'd get his move. Celtic are also spending a lot more money due to CL money.

    While the SPL isn't the best standard, the pressure Celtic players get put under to succeed is immense and usually sorts out the mentally weaker players. Glasgow soccer players are pretty much like gods there and are idolized all over the city/country and a lot of players can't handle that, especially as mistakes are scrutinized (especially in big games) and players have to be consistent. If Nagbe can handle that and keeps improving then he would get his big move. Worked for Claudio Reyna who went on to the EPL whereas Bedoya/Edu got absolutely shown up.

    Dembele is a recent example of this, coming from Fulham and will probably end up at a top EPL club.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 948
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:39 am
  • I agree on Nagbe, Glas... but he's 26. In all honesty where ever he moves next is his final home. I would have thought he could find a place in a Championship side (like Newcastle perhaps) or even get brought into one of the bigger leagues as a role player in the winter and challenge more in 2017. I don't see a first "big" move for a player at 27/28, not in Europe at least.

    Dembele is a bit different in that he's like 18/19 years old. Kid has his whole career in front of him.

    Morris, on the other hand, would do well with a move to a place like Celtic. While I think the league is under his quality, the club and its stature would get him more looks in England or Germany, where I think he should be as soon as possible.

    I was not disparaging Celtic, by the way. Taking away the nonsense that surrounds the rivalry with Rangers, its a great club. Just think it's not a great landing place for Nagbe, unless he wants it to be his final destination.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10909
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:09 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I agree on Nagbe, Glas... but he's 26. In all honesty where ever he moves next is his final home. I would have thought he could find a place in a Championship side (like Newcastle perhaps) or even get brought into one of the bigger leagues as a role player in the winter and challenge more in 2017. I don't see a first "big" move for a player at 27/28, not in Europe at least.

    Dembele is a bit different in that he's like 18/19 years old. Kid has his whole career in front of him.

    Morris, on the other hand, would do well with a move to a place like Celtic. While I think the league is under his quality, the club and its stature would get him more looks in England or Germany, where I think he should be as soon as possible.

    I was not disparaging Celtic, by the way. Taking away the nonsense that surrounds the rivalry with Rangers, its a great club. Just think it's not a great landing place for Nagbe, unless he wants it to be his final destination.


    I don't think the Championship standard is that great, same with the bottom half of the EPL. Yes those leagues have a good bit of money but rather than quality it leads to average/mediocre players being extremely over paid, especially overhyped English players. Don't get me wrong the Championship is brutal to get out of and really competitive but its a physical league rather than skilled. I'd argue Yedlin at this point has arguably underachieved. Always though he could have done better than bottom of the EPL/Championship. Both Newcastle and Sunderland are dumpster fires with ownership and coaches. Going to Spurs in the first place was probably the wrong move since it was a long shot at making the team. I'm sure his bank balance disagrees though but the jump from the Sounders to Spurs was probably a bit much right away.

    As for Morris, if he is to make it in a bigger league, he has to develop a left foot. He barely gets away with it for the Sounders being so one footed. He has the pace, awareness and other tools to make it but that left foot really, really has to be improved. I'd like him at Celtic eventually too but i'm guessing the Sounders will want big money for him in a couple of years and he seems like the type of player that will end up somewhere like a mid table German team rather than the EPL hype train.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 948
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:34 am
  • I completely agree on the quality. I meant more the pay. If Nagbe is making his move at 26 money has to be a significant factor. I just can't see him developing into a player at 28/29 that bigger clubs will want to take a run at.

    Morris should go as soon as possible, to be honest. I know that probably chafes Sounder fans, but if he wants to maximize his earning potential overseas it has to be while he is young. I can't see those leagues paying good money for a mid-level attacking player already 24/25 years of age from the states. Any money spent on him is as much about potential as current quality.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10909
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:55 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I completely agree on the quality. I meant more the pay. If Nagbe is making his move at 26 money has to be a significant factor. I just can't see him developing into a player at 28/29 that bigger clubs will want to take a run at.

    Morris should go as soon as possible, to be honest. I know that probably chafes Sounder fans, but if he wants to maximize his earning potential overseas it has to be while he is young. I can't see those leagues paying good money for a mid-level attacking player already 24/25 years of age from the states. Any money spent on him is as much about potential as current quality.


    I think one more good year and he's gone, and that's the way it probably should be..........as much as I'd love to see him stay.

    As Glasgow mentioned, Morris still has some technical development to do before moving on.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 10363
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:15 am
  • I have to say that doesn't make much sense. Why does one more year in the MLS make more sense than a year in the Bundesliga, EPL, etc.?

    His technical game will development as much, probably more, in those much more competitive leagues, no? You can imagine that even the better coaching and competition he'd see in training would help his game more than your average week in the MLS.

    If he's good enough (which i think he is, I'm surprised his name has not been out more in the Jan. window rumors) then he should go. If he's not (which maybe he's not) I don't think he will be the player that people want him to be.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 10909
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Next


It is currently Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:48 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests