Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:14 am
  • Congrats Sounders on your Western Conference Championship. Even though their regular season record doesn't show it, I believe the Sounders are a better team than TFC. The depth this team has is unreal. They are on fire.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:21 pm
  • Learned a long time ago that the MLS season is effin meaningless. Sigi used to have us near the top of the table a lot of the time and when we won the Supporters Shield is was pretty anti climatic. If you can put some run of form together you'll usually make the play offs. The play offs is just about getting hot at the right time.

Some GM's build their teams to dominate the regular season, some are better at 2 legged games in cups.

Where MLS doesn't get much credit for is how daunting the travelling and schedule is, on top of the strict salary cap. European teams bitch all the time about having to travel to the like of eastern Europe and parts of Asia in the champions league and how it makes them tired. The Sounders regularly travel 6 hours to the east coast or the south and east coast times vice versa. All that time changes etc takes its toll. Players have to deal with extreme heat in parts of the south and east coast and sometimes extreme cold/snow in the likes of Toronto at this time of year. It's something I feel is taken for granted when factoring in the difficulty of the league.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:10 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Where MLS doesn't get much credit for is how daunting the travelling and schedule is, on top of the strict salary cap. European teams bitch all the time about having to travel to the like of eastern Europe and parts of Asia in the champions league and how it makes them tired. The Sounders regularly travel 6 hours to the east coast or the south and east coast times vice versa. All that time changes etc takes its toll. Players have to deal with extreme heat in parts of the south and east coast and sometimes extreme cold/snow in the likes of Toronto at this time of year. It's something I feel is taken for granted when factoring in the difficulty of the league.

I think this is part of the MLS's master plan, to expand to the point of being like the NFL, four divisions instead of two to cut down on the travel. Like the NFL, play your division opponents more often, and rotate the travel to play other clubs outside your division.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:21 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:

I think this is part of the MLS's master plan, to expand to the point of being like the NFL, four divisions instead of two to cut down on the travel. Like the NFL, play your division opponents more often, and rotate the travel to play other clubs outside your division.

Even with that though there's still far more travelling than Europe. The nearest teams to us are Vancouver and Portland which is a still a few hour drive or California teams which is a couple hour flight. European teams usually have teams within the same city or nearby towns. Think Russia would be the closest country who's teams have to travel long distances for league games but even they have umpteen Moscow teams who all play each other. Furthest distance in England is what Newcastle to Southampton currently? 30-45 minute flight.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:30 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:

Even with that though there's still far more travelling than Europe. The nearest teams to us are Vancouver and Portland which is a still a few hour drive or California teams which is a couple hour flight. European teams usually have teams within the same city or nearby towns. Think Russia would be the closest country who's teams have to travel long distances for league games but even they have umpteen Moscow teams who all play each other. Furthest distance in England is what Newcastle to Southampton currently? 30-45 minute flight.

For sure, I'm just saying I think there's a method to the madness of all this expansion, other than lining the pockets of the current owners with expansion fees.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:43 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:

For sure, I'm just saying I think there's a method to the madness of all this expansion, other than lining the pockets of the current owners with expansion fees.

I think you give MLS too much credit in forward planning and not being greedy but I can see them use that as the excuse for expanding more rather than cash grab. Still would prefer if they sorted New England's and NYCFC's stadium situations out before more expansion. They seem to be strict with new teams joining (other than NYCFC) but ignore those 2 teams. I hope Detroit don't get a team using Ford Field. At least Seattle and Atlanta's stadiums were designed with the sport in mind, mostly fill their stadiums and can tarp off sections that doesn't make it super obvious unlike New England.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:45 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:
    TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

Confused about this post? Why are we worried about red cards?

I think she was just clarifying the difference between the two, since a red applies directly to the player's next game. Even though Houston's season is done, Martinez will still have to sit out the first game of the 2018 season whereas we won't have to worry about Nouhou's or Jones' yellows from last night carrying into the final.

I understand how it works, but it just seemed out of left field.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:30 pm
  • Is she maybe referencing cumulative yellow cards?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:58 pm
  • Not a huge soccer fan, but I’m happy for the Sounders and the Seattle Sounders fanbase.
    Great organization, extremely loyal fanbase, and great team.

Im a big believer in local civic pride!

GO SOUNDERS! :2thumbs:
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:02 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Is she maybe referencing cumulative yellow cards?

That would be my guess, but without context it is really difficult to decipher.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:18 am
  • I'm excited as hell for this weekend. Of all the teams though I don't want to lose to its Toronto. Mostly because of that stupid trophy case they made for the MLS Cup that has been sitting empty for years but also because there fans are whiners about last season and us parking the bus.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:08 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:...about last season and us parking the bus.

Did we actually "officially" park the bus last year? I don't really remember it that way, but I was, er, drinking at the time. I certainly don't remember us bombing forward on a maniacal goal-hunt, but I don't think we were playing for the 0-0 tie until extras at the earliest.

For me, losing to Portland would have been much worse. While I respect that for the most part, the Timbers aren't an MLS chop 'n flop outfit, Caleb Porter is about as pleasant as a dime-sized hemorrhoid.
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 am
  • Most point to no shots at goal but honestly we did what we had to do to win. If the shoe was on the other foot Toronto fans wouldn't be saying crap. I hope to god its not pens on Saturday, don't think my nerves could take it.

Porter is gone, so you can breathe :)
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:04 am
  • It's MLS cup day....Go Sounders! Schmetzer has a tough decision regarding Nouhou and Rodriguez. I hope he can find a way to play both. Both deserve to play in this one as they have had tremendous impact for the team to get to this spot.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:39 am
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:56 pm
  • Bad Seattle showed up tonight and they're being run off the pitch.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:22 pm
  • Congrats to Toronto. The clearly better team won tonight. Seattle looked like they had no clue what they were doing out there.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm
  • Altidore was clearly offsides on his goal... that said Seattle was severely outclassed.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:56 pm
  • Didn't even look close to onside.

253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:05 pm
  • 253hawk wrote:Didn't even look close to onside.

Caught the last half, but how can the officials miss that?????

From what I saw though the ball was always the wrong end and the Sounders had very few shots on goal.

My condolences to the very faithful Sounders fanbase.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:23 pm
  • That was piss poor. We didnt show up and our midfield got bossed. Nouhou/morris should have been on at half time for bruin/rodriguez. Thats on schmetzer for leaving it so late.

Felt like we played scared. Yes their first may have been offside but we were never gonna score. Was toronto chance after chance
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:09 pm
  • Really bad call. Not only was he off when the ball was played but he cane back from a deep offside position to get where he was.

Toronto played real well though. Was disappointed in Seattle’s transition attack, considering they seemed set up to defend deep. Decent game plan considering no Alonso and given Toronto was always going to come out strong, but Seattle never broke from their deep positions
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:13 pm
  • Yeah I have no problem with Toronto winning because it looked like the Sounders completely forgot how to play and were getting worked...I think it was 20:5 shots on goal when I turned it off. But if that goal was reviewed properly, the game probably goes into OT at least and then it's anyone's match.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:33 pm
  • Sounders really picked the worst possible day to have their worst game since Leerdam's arrival. Did anybody on the team have a decent game other than Frei? Torres, maybe.

The reffing was definitely one-sided throughout, but not out of line with what you would expect in MLS. About half of home field advantage comes from favorable reffing, after all. So many wooden touches, weird passes and unforced errors make it hard for me to focus in on the reffing much, though, even with an offside goal.

Nico played what was surely his worst match as a Sounder, Victor was invisible and JJ's out the door to Germany. Sucks.
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information