Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:56 pm
  • Yesterday's Sounder lineup (starting) baffled me a bit. They moved Svensson to midfield. I thought they should have moved Jones and kept Svensson on the back line. For the most part of the first half, it seemed ok. Jones would be better in front position (i.e. wing) than in the back. He plays in the front for Trinidad. Svensson is clearly a better defender than him. Nouhou will definitely surpass Jones from a defending standpoint soon (if he hasn't already). Maybe they should move Jones to a winger role.

Correction: I was wrong in my above post. Apparently, he plays left wing back for Trinidad as well. He's always on the attacking side of the pitch so I thought he played in the front. Just move him there. He's horrible defensively.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:30 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Yesterday's Sounder lineup (starting) baffled me a bit. They moved Svensson to midfield. I thought they should have moved Jones and kept Svensson on the back line. For the most part of the first half, it seemed ok. Jones would be better in front position (i.e. wing) than in the back. He plays in the front for Trinidad. Svensson is clearly a better defender than him. Nouhou will definitely surpass Jones from a defending standpoint soon (if he hasn't already). Maybe they should move Jones to a winger role.

Correction: I was wrong in my above post. Apparently, he plays left wing back for Trinidad as well. He's always on the attacking side of the pitch so I thought he played in the front. Just move him there. He's horrible defensively.

Svensson has already proven he is more valuable in the middle of the park than he is at RB. If thats CB or CM, it doesn't matter. He has put in MOTM numbers in either role.

Jones plays RM, LM, CM and LB for T&T. He's a decent midfielder, but he doesn't use his pace enough. I, personally, think he is a better LB than he is a LM.

Nouhou is so, so, so, raw. He gets away with a lot due to his speed...but he scares the piss out of me at times. He's a tad reckless and has major positional issues.

I'm not against a Jones/Nouhou left side, but Jones can't leave him to dry over there. He has to track back. We've seen Jones/Fisher burned before and I don't want that to happen again.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:14 pm
  • Out of the US Open Cup.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:27 pm

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:54 pm
  • Smurf wrote:Out of the US Open Cup.

MN product Jackson Yueill with the assist on the winner.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:00 am

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:02 am
  • Smurf wrote:Out of the US Open Cup.

Feel like the Sounders are the only team to take it serious tbh. If it means full focus on pulling out wins in the league then fine. I'd like us to be in a comfortable play off spot by August. This team is under performing given the talent.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:02 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Out of the US Open Cup.

Feel like the Sounders are the only team to take it serious tbh. If it means full focus on pulling out wins in the league then fine. I'd like us to be in a comfortable play off spot by August. This team is under performing given the talent.

We're already in CONCACAF by winning the MLS Cup, so if there was a year not to care about the US Open Cup, this is the one.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:58 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:

We're already in CONCACAF by winning the MLS Cup, so if there was a year not to care about the US Open Cup, this is the one.

The Sounders couldn't beat Orlando City SC at home, doubt they have much impact in CONCACAF.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:50 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:

The Sounders couldn't beat Orlando City SC at home, doubt they have much impact in CONCACAF.

We have 8-18 months before we need to worry about CONCACAF...so we have time to improve.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:53 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:

More and More teams are taking it seriously. Sounders played 1 first team starter, Role players and players from S2. Chicago Fire played 50-60% of their starting 11....against a lower division team....in front of 30,000....on the road....and were devastated when they lost on PK's.

Teams care about it more than ever...Many are calling for a larger prize pool...especially after learning of US Soccer's MASSIVE surplus.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:08 am
  • We signed a RB on TAM from Holland!!! Sounds like he may have some pedigree.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:54 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:We signed a RB on TAM from Holland!!! Sounds like he may have some pedigree.

He seems like he's a Joevin Jones type. Loves to attack. Quick.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:08 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:We signed a RB on TAM from Holland!!! Sounds like he may have some pedigree.

He seems like he's a Joevin Jones type. Loves to attack. Quick.

Hopefully he's a better defender than Jones has shown to be.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:13 am
  • Sounders go into the Gold Cup break on a positive note, and Dempsey scores one of the prettiest goals of the year.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:51 am
  • Good win. They needed 3pts and got it. Alonso and Marshall getting injured isn't good. Alonso injury looks bad. He may be out for a long time. Not sure why that Rapid player wasn't red carded. He was targeting player's feet and ankles all match long. Should have been sent off. I commend the Sounders for their poise and not retaliating. However, they do whine and complain a lot...they need to just stop that and just play.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:04 pm
  • Good win. The jones/nouhou experiment seemed to pay off, dempsey looked like dempsey of old and bruin was decent.

The team played pretty fluid and it should have been 4 or 5. Maybe Morris was the problem? The portland goal seems to have opened the flood gates for dempsey though.

Downside is the injuries. Would really suck if ozzy is done for the year.

Colorado are a dirty team and the ref was weak.

Honestly though here we go again when colorado scored undeservedly but our third goal was class and killed them.

We moved into a play off spot above Galaxy. We play them next so may get to open a little cushion if we win.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:09 am
  • Good news: Ozzy is only out a few weeks with an MCL sprain

Bad news: No Schmetzer this weekend as he has to do a coaching certification. Pineda taking the team.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:00 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Bad news: No Schmetzer this weekend as he has to do a coaching certification. Pineda taking the team.

Just for a friendly.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:16 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:

Just for a friendly.

Hopefully they will rest most of the vets and let the younger players play. Guys like Nouhou, Alfaro, Kovar, Adekoya, Mathers, Delem, etc
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:07 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:

Just for a friendly.

Hopefully they will rest most of the vets and let the younger players play. Guys like Nouhou, Alfaro, Kovar, Adekoya, Mathers, Delem, etc

My guess is most of the starters will play the first half, then sit and let the youngin's play. That's usually how these friendlies go.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:16 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:

Just for a friendly.

I just saw its a friendly. Phew. Hope they just play sounders b and fringe players like kovar
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:05 am
  • With the group stage of the Gold Cup over, Arena is calling up Dempsey and sending Roldan back to Seattle.

SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:35 am
  • I still think Arena is screwing the sounders a bit. When he called up Morris etc ajd didnt play them, now he calls up Dempsey but allows guys like Dom Dwyer to return to SKC.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:18 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I still think Arena is screwing the sounders a bit. When he called up Morris etc ajd didnt play them, now he calls up Dempsey but allows guys like Dom Dwyer to return to SKC.

Morris and Roldan played the second game. Morris scored 2 goals. Morris featured off the bench too. Roldan played a full 90 and did pretty well.

He played them.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:20 pm
  • S2 has signed 16 Year old Azriel Gonzalez from the Academy.

Gonzalez has been one of a few who has been playing with the older kids (He's played with the U-18's a bunch).
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:23 pm
  • Sounders getting beat by the worst team In the MLS at half. They should be able to beat D.C. without Morris and Dempsey...well they woke up in the 2nd half. Man D.C. Stinks! They showed why they're the worst team in MLS in the 2nd half.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:03 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Sounders getting beat by the worst team In the MLS at half. They should be able to beat D.C. without Morris and Dempsey...well they woke up in the 2nd half. Man D.C. Stinks! They showed why they're the worst team in MLS in the 2nd half.

:lol:

I agree the first half sucked. Kovar and Shipp are not good enough and made the absence of Ozzy really big. Torres did't cover himself in glory at points.

As soon as Nouhou and Neerdham came on the game changed. Jones and Evans were pushed further forward and it made a huge difference in our attack.

Sucks Lodeiro is suspended. Was really dumb from him but I still think the ref over reacted. I saw a tweet that he may be going back to Argentina for San Lorenzo. Hope it's not true.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:50 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Sounders getting beat by the worst team In the MLS at half. They should be able to beat D.C. without Morris and Dempsey...well they woke up in the 2nd half. Man D.C. Stinks! They showed why they're the worst team in MLS in the 2nd half.

:lol:

I agree the first half sucked. Kovar and Shipp are not good enough and made the absence of Ozzy really big. Torres did't cover himself in glory at points.

As soon as Nouhou and Neerdham came on the game changed. Jones and Evans were pushed further forward and it made a huge difference in our attack.

Sucks Lodeiro is suspended. Was really dumb from him but I still think the ref over reacted. I saw a tweet that he may be going back to Argentina for San Lorenzo. Hope it's not true.

Lodeiro getting red carded was not smart. I'm surprised that the DC United player didn't get carded. He instigated the whole thing. San Jose is a bigger match- now they will be without Lodeiro, Dempsey, and Morris. I'm hoping for a miracle on Saturday. It would be wonderful to get 3 pts but right now even 1 pt looks grand achievement.

If Lodeiro leaves, I hope Lagerway is shown the door behind him. Lagerway is been unimpressive as GM. Yes, they won the MLS cup last year. That was awesome but under Lagerway they have been languishing on the bottom half of the table each season. Prior to Lagerway, they were consistently the top 3-4 team in the league. Look at Toronto FC. They are still on top in their division. An expansion team, Atlanta United, is playing better than the Sounders (even when the Sounders are at full strength).
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:02 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    If Lodeiro leaves, I hope Lagerway is shown the door behind him. Lagerway is been unimpressive as GM. Yes, they won the MLS cup last year. That was awesome but under Lagerway they have been languishing on the bottom half of the table each season. Prior to Lagerway, they were consistently the top 3-4 team in the league. Look at Toronto FC. They are still on top in their division. An expansion team, Atlanta United, is playing better than the Sounders (even when the Sounders are at full strength).

There is no "but" after the sentence "yes, they won the MLS cup last year."

That's it, that's all that matters. This is the MLS, there never will be decade long dominant clubs. It's designed like the NFL, for parity.

All you want in a MLS GM is someone who maintains a kick ass scouting department, someone who isn't loyal to coaching staffs or players and someone with deep league connections...........state side and globally.

Lagerwey fits the bill on all fronts. HE was the one who kicked Sigi to the door, two years later than it should have happened. He was the one who had faith in Schmetzer, when other GM's would have gone the safe route and hired another journeyman coach.

It's fine to be critical of Lagerwey, he's not perfect. But holy moly he just delivered our first MLS Cup, that should buy him at least another 2-3 years of goodwill.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:22 pm
  • I feel like it depends on what people view as success. We won the supporters shield and were dominant in the regular season for years then would stink in the play offs after peaking too early. Shalrie Joseph up front still pisses me off with its ineptitude. Some people might like being top dogs in the regular season but ultimately all it does in the US is get you into the play offs. MLS is all about getting hot at the right time. For years the Dynamo and Galaxy were masters at it after being mediocre in the regular season.

As much as we have struggled at points this year, I feel we are built better for the play offs. We have had a lot of draws this year, that come play off time may be enough to get you through with away goals. We've also shown we have the balls to come back from 2/3 goals down on a few occasions. I also feel we'll probably get another DP just before any play off run like we did last year along with Dempsey, Morris not having international duty. We certainly haven't peaked yet or had any crazy runs of form. We're due. We've been super unlucky with suspensions, injuries, call ups, freak refs decision etc all frikkin year.

We just need to make the play offs first and go from there.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:43 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:

There is no "but" after the sentence "yes, they won the MLS cup last year."

That's it, that's all that matters. This is the MLS, there never will be decade long dominant clubs. It's designed like the NFL, for parity.

All you want in a MLS GM is someone who maintains a kick ass scouting department, someone who isn't loyal to coaching staffs or players and someone with deep league connections...........state side and globally.

Lagerwey fits the bill on all fronts. HE was the one who kicked Sigi to the door, two years later than it should have happened. He was the one who had faith in Schmetzer, when other GM's would have gone the safe route and hired another journeyman coach.

It's fine to be critical of Lagerwey, he's not perfect. But holy moly he just delivered our first MLS Cup, that should buy him at least another 2-3 years of goodwill.

Winning MLS Cup is not an excuse for starting the season with an incomplete roster.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:46 am
  • Smurf wrote:Winning MLS Cup is not an excuse for starting the season with an incomplete roster.

It's the MLS, all that matters is that you have a complete roster come playoff time. MOST clubs don't have their rosters complete and 100% set on opening day. They know there's still two transfer windows to figure out needs come playoff time.

I'd much rather Lagerwey hold off and not panic trying to sign players before the season starts not giving us any wiggle room cap wise. I'd much rather he see how the season's going forward and then have the roster spots and cap/DP space to sign quality players during the transfer windows.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:04 pm
  • Speaking from a place of inexperience, but it doesn't seem like the team was that incomplete at the start of the season. He went and got Bruin to play up top for when Morris was unavailable, which turned out to be a great trade for us. He got Shipp, and though that hasn't worked out as well, he did get a wing player who could conceivably play along with Dempsey in the middle and Lodeiro on the other side. Lagerway also made that Svensson acquisition which turned out to be fantastic, especially because Svensson has the versatility to play CDM or in the back.

They also had Nouhou in S2 and probably knew that he would make enough strides to at least be an option on the bench.

IMO, the only real glaring places where another acquisition or two was needed is on the back line, specifically at right back since Evans is oft-injured and Fisher isn't reliable. They went and got Leerdam for that, but you could argue that they should have tried to fill that spot earlier.

Otherwise, this team seemed pretty complete to me. What am I missing?
    Colin Kaepernick is a great person, something that the NFL is sorely lacking.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:34 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Speaking from a place of inexperience, but it doesn't seem like the team was that incomplete at the start of the season. He went and got Bruin to play up top for when Morris was unavailable, which turned out to be a great trade for us. He got Shipp, and though that hasn't worked out as well, he did get a wing player who could conceivably play along with Dempsey in the middle and Lodeiro on the other side. Lagerway also made that Svensson acquisition which turned out to be fantastic, especially because Svensson has the versatility to play CDM or in the back.

They also had Nouhou in S2 and probably knew that he would make enough strides to at least be an option on the bench.

IMO, the only real glaring places where another acquisition or two was needed is on the back line, specifically at right back since Evans is oft-injured and Fisher isn't reliable. They went and got Leerdam for that, but you could argue that they should have tried to fill that spot earlier.

Otherwise, this team seemed pretty complete to me. What am I missing?

If this is the case, then they were grossly underperforming. Even though the early Sounder teams under Sigi didn't win the MLS cup, they were consistently winning the US Open Cups every year. They were also no lower than top 4 each season. Right now they are battling to be the #6 team (last playoff spot) in the division. Last year's team was Sigi's team. Yes he resigned and Schmetzer took over but largely was Sigi's team. Brian energized the team and to his credit they picked it up. But it's back to the lackluster play that caused Sigi to get pushed out. They have been starting seasons extremely slow. I guess with a playoff format all that needs to be done is just make to the playoffs. I hold my team to a higher standard. I want to see more from the team. There is too much talent on this team to see the lackadaisical performances week in and week out.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:24 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    If this is the case, then they were grossly underperforming. Even though the early Sounder teams under Sigi didn't win the MLS cup, they were consistently winning the US Open Cups every year. They were also no lower than top 4 each season. Right now they are battling to be the #6 team (last playoff spot) in the division. Last year's team was Sigi's team. Yes he resigned and Schmetzer took over but largely was Sigi's team. Brian energized the team and to his credit they picked it up. But it's back to the lackluster play that caused Sigi to get fired in the first place. They have been starting seasons extremely slow. I guess with a playoff format all that needs to be done is just make to the playoffs. I hold my team to a higher standard. I want to see more from the team. There is too much talent on this team to see the lackadaisical performances week in and week out.

I agree with you. I think they were underperforming in part. Morris had a nagging ankle injury and was in poor form for most of the year, which is a big part of why our attack fizzles. When he's not out there, or when he's out there injured, there's no direct play. When he's out there healthy, they'll play more direct and try to let Morris beat guys, and the offense looks much better. Like, in that DC game the other night, we had tons of possession in the first half, but it was all ineffective possession where guys weren't advancing the ball into the box effectively or at least getting some decent shots off from outside the box.

The other thing is that they were injured, which combined with call-ups to put us in tough places. Morris was hurt, the back line has been ravaged by injury at times, and now Ozzie is hurt and Marshall was clearly playing hurt the other night, too. Maybe that will get better if we just slide Delem over from right back to CB more often to spell Torres and Marshall (where he looked way more competent in the Gold Cup from what I saw) and then let Leerdam hold down RB with Evans backing him up.

So yeah, injuries and slow starts in general have combined to make the start of this year pretty rocky. The talent here shouldn't be sitting in sixth right now. They can still make a run at the number one seed in the west, actually, but they probably should be first or second based on talent alone. They've also dropped a lot of points that they shouldn't have (at SJ, and home against Orlando City) just by underperforming.

To me, a team that drops points that it shouldn't and that wins games like the DC game or that gets a draw out of the NE game is a clear example of a team that turns it on and off and that needs to try harder for achieving consistency. I was so disgusted the other night watching the game and then after that third DC goal, they clearly just turned it on at will and won it. They have the ability to play attacking football, push the ball up the wings, and have these great finishes off service from the flank or set pieces or what have you, but they don't seem to try for that sort of play tactically all the time, and they don't perform consistently. Maybe it's a Schmetzer issue?

Re: Your point about the U.S. Cups that we used to win (sadly, I came in as a fan after those cups were won), I read something that quoted Lagerway as saying that he cares most about making the playoffs and winning MLS Cup. He said basically that he wasn't concerned about competing for the Supporters' Shield. I wonder if that seeps into how this team approaches competitions like the U.S. Cup. To me, my ultimate dream as a fan is for the Sounders to win CCL and play in the Club World Cup, so I don't like that way of thinking because any way we can win a ticket into the CCL, I think we should focus on to a not-insignificant degree...but that's probably unrealistic on my part, at least right now.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:47 pm
  • Nouhou at lb and jones at lm is a revelation at mls level. He's still learning but im really impressed with nouhou. Also neerdham at rb (neerdham was great at showing guys outside. We havent had a good rb in a while with evans hurt most of the year, even mears was iffy at points last year). So much speed and athleticism on the wings now. Cant wait to see morris at rm there with them. Would play evans at holding mid till ozzy is back then just have him as good depth till the end of the year.

Roldan is really stepping up this year.

With dempsey, morris and ozzy still to come back the squad depth is looking better. I would maybe sign another dp towards the end of the window before a play off run. Im not sure where though as jones looks good at left mid now and in the middle we have lodeiro, roldan, ozzy and maybe evans. Maybe a cb?

I know he didnt score tonight but i really like will bruin. When dempsey and martins were out in the past and we had to rely on the likes of chad barrett, neagle etc it was painful at times. Bruin is still dangerous without being flashy and hes a good player to have.

I hope we beat LA next week and kill their season. They've been woeful at home. Would love a run up the table.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:36 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    Re: Your point about the U.S. Cups that we used to win (sadly, I came in as a fan after those cups were won), I read something that quoted Lagerway as saying that he cares most about making the playoffs and winning MLS Cup. He said basically that he wasn't concerned about competing for the Supporters' Shield. I wonder if that seeps into how this team approaches competitions like the U.S. Cup. To me, my ultimate dream as a fan is for the Sounders to win CCL and play in the Club World Cup, so I don't like that way of thinking because any way we can win a ticket into the CCL, I think we should focus on to a not-insignificant degree...but that's probably unrealistic on my part, at least right now.

All trophies are important, but in the MLS the MLS Cup is the most important one. It's how our league measures it's champion, so of course Lagerwey is going to couch his comments like this.

I've been at two of our Open Cup championship matches, I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.........and I'm sure the players, coaches, GM and owners feel the same.

But make no mistake, in MLS the cup > everything.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:53 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Nouhou at lb and jones at lm is a revelation at mls level. He's still learning but im really impressed with nouhou. Also neerdham at rb (neerdham was great at showing guys outside. We havent had a good rb in a while with evans hurt most of the year, even mears was iffy at points last year). So much speed and athleticism on the wings now. Cant wait to see morris at rm there with them. Would play evans at holding mid till ozzy is back then just have him as good depth till the end of the year.

Roldan is really stepping up this year.

With dempsey, morris and ozzy still to come back the squad depth is looking better. I would maybe sign another dp towards the end of the window before a play off run. Im not sure where though as jones looks good at left mid now and in the middle we have lodeiro, roldan, ozzy and maybe evans. Maybe a cb?

I know he didnt score tonight but i really like will bruin. When dempsey and martins were out in the past and we had to rely on the likes of chad barrett, neagle etc it was painful at times. Bruin is still dangerous without being flashy and hes a good player to have.

I hope we beat LA next week and kill their season. They've been woeful at home. Would love a run up the table.

1. Leerdam*

2. I think a vastly underestimated quality of Nouhou is his decisiveness. He decides what to do, and does it. Jones has a tendency to think too much and will miss a pass or opportunity because of it. The combo of them is very good.

3. Bruin will get relegated to the bench once Dempsey and Morris return. He's a great filler, and you're 100% right, he's not flashing. He's nothing special...but he does the job. He's a lot like Kenny Cooper was for us.

4. Leerdam's passing from RB has changed how we play. He routinely threads the needle to the #10 or #9 bypassing the midfield in front of him. This opens up SO MUCH SPACE for our midfielders. Passes like that get the opposition running towards their own goal and that is always a positive.

5. Never underestimated a team that has a player capable of a Long Throw. It's another set piece. Leerdam had 2 secondary assists due to them.

6. When Morris returns he needs to do more running. He needs to run the channels more frequently. Especially with Nico and Dempsey both liking to play inside. He has to feel comfortable running to the corner. His pace can open up space for others, he just needs to make more runs. If that means he can only be a 60-70 minute player for us, then that's what we need him to be. He's done a great job in his time with the USMNT of running the channels and he needs to do more of it.

7. If Deuce and Morris return with their USMNT form...look out. Both are ON FIRE right now.

8. I wish the service on our Corner Kicks was more consistent. We have SO MANY players who are good in the air. Yet we routinely can't beat the first defender.

9. Our DP signing needs to be a winger. We've already seen what pace can do to our team (Nouhou, Jones, Leerdam). It would be nice to have another high quality player on the wing. Especially one with a bit of pace. I miss the days of Nyassi and Zakuani tormenting outside backs with their speed.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:18 pm
  • Your right a Zakuani at his peak would had been amazing to have in this team.

I've assumed Morris will end up playing out wide more than up front. Almost like a hybrid winger/striker.

I think Bruin is a lot better than Kenny Cooper. I always liked Bruin when he was at Houston. I agree he'll be benched but he'll be great to bring on as a second half player with Dempsey or Morris tiring.

Who is out of contract at the end of the season? Is it just Jones and Evans? If so I would extend Jones if he keeps his LM form up. I imagine Evans is gone unless he takes a pay cut and Torres if he doesn't get his promised extension.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:44 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Your right a Zakuani at his peak would had been amazing to have in this team.

I've assumed Morris will end up playing out wide more than up front. Almost like a hybrid winger/striker.

I think Bruin is a lot better than Kenny Cooper. I always liked Bruin when he was at Houston. I agree he'll be benched but he'll be great to bring on as a second half player with Dempsey or Morris tiring.

Who is out of contract at the end of the season? Is it just Jones and Evans? If so I would extend Jones if he keeps his LM form up. I imagine Evans is gone unless he takes a pay cut and Torres if he doesn't get his promised extension.

Dempsey.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:28 pm
  • I still wouldn't renew. I dont think he has been value for money with injuries, call ups and suspensions. He has been far more effective for the usmnt in his team here than the sounders.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:28 pm
  • Reports out of Paraguay say Seattle has signed Derlis Gonzalez.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders ... ynamo-kiev

And a reporter based in Seattle is now saying it's true.

SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:48 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Reports out of Paraguay say Seattle has signed Derlis Gonzalez.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders ... ynamo-kiev

And a reporter based in Seattle is now saying it's true.

It seems the Sounders found their new winger.

Yesterday they played great and got the 3pts. Now if they can do that on a consistent basis, it would be nice. They are so Mariner like in they will put up a decent game and then blow the next one. Leerdam is awesome but the growth of Roldan has been key. Nouhou is solid, he's only twenty. Another Yedlin in the making.

I could see Dempsey relegated to bench and brought in around 65th minute like USMNT did on Saturday.

They look to have the right pieces for a diamond formation.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:50 pm
  • The new guy is a left mid yeah?

So jones at lb?

Still not upset if guys like evans, nouhou, bruin, shipp, svensson are our bench going forward. They'll still get game time with injuries or a change of pace etc.

Frei

Leerdham torres marshall jones

Ozzy roldan

Lodeiro dempsey gonzalez
    Morris
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:37 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    I could see Dempsey relegated to bench and brought in around 65th minute like USMNT did on Saturday.

No way in hell this is happening.

It means Evans, Bruin and Shipp won't see any starting minutes anytime soon unless players are away on national duty. Probably move Dempsey up top where Bruin's been playing so Gonzales can play out on the wing.

Great signing, true young international quality winger..............just what the doctor ordered.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:57 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:All trophies are important, but in the MLS the MLS Cup is the most important one. It's how our league measures it's champion, so of course Lagerwey is going to couch his comments like this.

I've been at two of our Open Cup championship matches, I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.........and I'm sure the players, coaches, GM and owners feel the same.

But make no mistake, in MLS the cup > everything.

Of course, but the higher-ups are also talking about making the Sounders a world-class org, and winning the CCL and playing your Real Madrids and Barcas and Bayern Munichs at the Club World Cup is as world-class as it gets. The more tickets into the CCL we go after, the better, and that includes putting out better lineups to try and win the U.S. Open Cup or the conference (though of course MLS Cup will always have higher priorities).

- Roldan being so effective at attacking mid makes me feel a whole lot better about resting Dempsey and making sure that he's fresh for the playoffs whenever we need to.

- If the Derlis Gonzalez signing does in fact happen, this team appears to be incredibly loaded, like "has a shot at winning CCL next year" level loaded. Of course, they'll likely lose some of this depth before we get late into the tournament (Evans, for example), but man, this roster looks extremely well-constructed after the Leerdam signing, the prospective Gonzalez signing, and having pickups and S2 roster promotions in Bruin, Svensson, Delem, and Nouhou that can put in quality minutes when need be
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:09 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    Of course, but the higher-ups are also talking about making the Sounders a world-class org, and winning the CCL and playing your Real Madrids and Barcas and Bayern Munichs at the Club World Cup is as world-class as it gets. The more tickets into the CCL we go after, the better, and that includes putting out better lineups to try and win the U.S. Open Cup or the conference (though of course MLS Cup will always have higher priorities).

If the MLS continues to grow and catch up to these other top leagues, then what you're talking about will happen..............in time.

Ownership can say whatever they want about wanting to be a world class organization going toe to toe with the likes of the Barcas of the world. But that's just lip service at this point in the growth of the Sounders and MLS.

So we shouldn't be focusing and expending too much energy on Open Cups in order to MAYBE have a very low percentage chance of winning the CCL and getting a Club World Cup birth. I'd rather we be doing exactly what we are doing, creating the strongest club possible going into late summer in order to have the best chance at winning another MLS Cup.

In other news, another attacking mid linked to the Sounders.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders ... ijon-rumor

Hopefully this is another big signing, and not a Plan B signing because the Gonzales signing is falling apart.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:58 pm
  • I'd agree except these guys are now signing La Liga rotational players for bench depth, so clearly they seem to be making signings with a deep CCL run in mind. If Gonzalez and Rodriguez both come through, that is clearly a sign that the brass isn't just saying things about elevating the club's stature.

I also don't expect the Sounders to play with those teams (or the South American champ, for that matter) for ninety minutes, but it would be nice to see them there putting in an effort like Kashima Antlers did against RM last CWC. Just getting to the CWC before any other MLS team does would be a great achievement and put the club on a world stage.

EDIT: But I think we mostly agree that MLS Cup is more important than pretty much any other achievement, and I think that we both agree that if the Sounders ever did win CCL, we would totally flip out. :2thumbs:
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:40 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    EDIT: But I think we mostly agree that MLS Cup is more important than pretty much any other achievement, and I think that we both agree that if the Sounders ever did win CCL, we would totally flip out. :2thumbs:

We're getting there. MLS clubs are now far more competitive against the big Mexican clubs than even 6-7 years ago in CCL, with RSL and the Impact making it all the way to the semi's the past couple of years.

Hopefully it'll get even better with the new CCL format. No more grueling group stage, now it's knockout format from Feb to May..........which should allow for more upsets, and more importantly allowing starters to play more often cause it's early in the season, and not some mid August match in bumturd Guatemala in a cow pasture.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information