Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:22 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:


    Yeah I like the U24 DP rule, but it's been very hard for MLS clubs to compete for the top underage talent with the bigger leagues. Some good players have come into MLS....................Torres, Diaz, Castillo, and a couple others I can't remember at the moment.

    The problem with the Sounders I think is they're not big on just getting a player on loan, they want their rights via transfer. Like I said very few clubs are willing to part with their young stars outright, the most is like the Walkes signing, 6 month loans.



    Not saying it fits the Sounders model but I like the idea of MLS teams taking chances on young talent, whether in purchase or loan.

    The Spurs thing is real interesting. I'm certain they passed up many Championship offers for the player only to send him to America. Would love to hear the reasoning.


    Surprised the Sounders don't have a link up with a top EPL team. City and Chelsea seem to stock pile all the best young talent then never play them as they also sign big money players and need instant results. City especially have had a few decent players in their reserve team they've let out on loan, they have like 28 out on loan right now and from experience guys- Roberts, Denayer, Guidetti (now left but using as an example) would do really well in MLS. A lot of these players needs games and I think in this case the MLS season would benefit them as they could get games during the summer when the European leagues are over and go back to parent clubs not long after the european season restarts.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:25 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Surprised the Sounders don't have a link up with a top EPL team. City and Chelsea seem to stock pile all the best young talent then never play them as they also sign big money players and need instant results. City especially have had a few decent players in their reserve team they've let out on loan, they have like 28 out on loan right now and from experience guys- Roberts, Denayer, Guidetti (now left but using as an example) would do really well in MLS. A lot of these players needs games and I think in this case the MLS season would benefit them as they could get games during the summer when the European leagues are over and go back to parent clubs not long after the european season restarts.


    Weren't we suppose to have signed the Tazmanian Messi and start a pipeline to African Lyon?

    j/k.........I think the Sounder's have tried to establish relationships with elite clubs, but unless there's an ownership or upper management relationship, it's hard to get in line with dozens of other 2nd and 3rd tier clubs all over the world trying to do the same thing.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12029
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:32 am
  • Josea16 wrote:I usually just watch international soccer because I have no idea who the players are. My question is.... Will the Sounders be in the hunt for a playoff berth like the Mariners or are they the real deal if they fix a couple things like the Seahawks? I understand they won the MLS title last year. So will they still be serious contenders this year? Soccer is even more fluid then baseball or basketball let alone football. So I'm curious.


    Sounders are pretty much always perennial contenders. They've always made the play offs. While there is a salary cap, the Sounders have the biggest support and bring with it a top team expectation so that missing the play offs would be a catastrophe. They can also spend a bit more on their designated players salaries than a lot of other mls clubs.

    For years they had really strong regular seasons only to fall apart in the play offs. Last season they almost didn't make the play offs, fired their coach and signed Lodeiro and went on a nice run of form making the play offs and playing great defense.

    I don't think they need too much tweaking to repeat. Possibly another winger and some full back/defensive depth. After that it's just players staying healthy. As with anything the play offs always require a bit of luck.

    By international soccer do you mean like EPL/Bundesliga or national team? National team football can be pretty brutal to watch, especially friendlies and qualifiers. Players don't have the familiarity of playing with each other on a regular basis so there is less flow. World cups etc can be a bit better to watch but the quality seems to have dropped a bit as the club game becomes more dominant and has all the money.

    European/South American club soccer is stronger but Americans do the MLS a disservice. I don't think the standard is always as bad as made out. It is a lower standard but always will be due to the salary cap and the EPL pays very mediocre players a lot of money which in some peoples eyes makes them good players. However, I've seen just as many good games in MLS as the EPL and saw just as many brutal games. People just buy into the hype and marketing of the EPL here but a lot of the 'top' games recently have been brutal such as the merseyside derby.
    Last edited by Glasgow Seahawk on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:37 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Surprised the Sounders don't have a link up with a top EPL team. City and Chelsea seem to stock pile all the best young talent then never play them as they also sign big money players and need instant results. City especially have had a few decent players in their reserve team they've let out on loan, they have like 28 out on loan right now and from experience guys- Roberts, Denayer, Guidetti (now left but using as an example) would do really well in MLS. A lot of these players needs games and I think in this case the MLS season would benefit them as they could get games during the summer when the European leagues are over and go back to parent clubs not long after the european season restarts.


    Weren't we suppose to have signed the Tazmanian Messi and start a pipeline to African Lyon?

    j/k.........I think the Sounder's have tried to establish relationships with elite clubs, but unless there's an ownership or upper management relationship, it's hard to get in line with dozens of other 2nd and 3rd tier clubs all over the world trying to do the same thing.


    Sell the big bright lights of America :P. Admittedly this would work more in New York, LA or Boston but still (plus Seattle will still have appeal). I'm sure some players would jump at the chance of living in the USA compared to living and playing in toilets like Stoke or the various crap holes that a lot of Championship teams play in. Living in the states and in Seattle playing in front of 40,000+ people shouldn't be a tough sell, especially if it's only loan spell.

    and...before people say players would be put off by Trump etc...the UK has May and the uncertainty of brexit on the horizon.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:06 am
  • Bayern, Barca, Arsenal, Chelsea, Club America and City (that I know off hand) all of have very profitable relationships with MLS clubs.

    However, these relationships are very involved. Arsenal, Bayern and Chelsea, for example, have set up coaches and training programs in MLS developmental academies. They are essential sowing the seeds of growth in those systems hoping to benefit in the long term. It's not much different than the Affiliation program MLS clubs use with their local youth clubs, albeit with a much larger financial obligation.

    What I had hoped would come of it, and maybe what we might be seeing with the Spurs loan, is these bigger clubs sending their players here for more development, trusting that their own staffs working with the MLS clubs could do a better job with the player than Hartlepool...

    The quality of the MLS rises a bit, and young American players may see avenues for bigger opportunities elsewhere by playing in the MLS rather than the Dutch league or Championship..

    Long ways away, but still a possibility
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:20 pm
  • Si, you work with the MLS academy system, right? I know that MLS academies have exclusive rights to kids in their "territory", but can they also sign kids from elsewhere? What about signing foreigners, is that allowed?
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9466
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:25 pm
  • http://www.sounderatheart.com/2017/1/27 ... i-comeback

    Something to keep an eye on. I felt when he came back, a lot of his issues seemed to be mental and he looked a shadow of the player he was pre injury. If he could get back to any sort of preinjury form it would be a great pick up.

    I really like him as a broadcaster though, I think he is better than Keller with his analysis.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:06 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Si, you work with the MLS academy system, right? I know that MLS academies have exclusive rights to kids in their "territory", but can they also sign kids from elsewhere? What about signing foreigners, is that allowed?


    All of the Academy programs world wide now can only sign players with residences (I believe) 150 miles of the home base until they are 14 (maybe 15). Then the players can board at the Academy. Now players under 14 can move their families to the area and be eligible. Two of my young players recently did that, moving from Minneapolis to Kansas City.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:00 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Josea16 wrote:I usually just watch international soccer because I have no idea who the players are. My question is.... Will the Sounders be in the hunt for a playoff berth like the Mariners or are they the real deal if they fix a couple things like the Seahawks? I understand they won the MLS title last year. So will they still be serious contenders this year? Soccer is even more fluid then baseball or basketball let alone football. So I'm curious.


    Sounders are pretty much always perennial contenders. They've always made the play offs. While there is a salary cap, the Sounders have the biggest support and bring with it a top team expectation so that missing the play offs would be a catastrophe. They can also spend a bit more on their designated players salaries than a lot of other mls clubs.

    For years they had really strong regular seasons only to fall apart in the play offs. Last season they almost didn't make the play offs, fired their coach and signed Lodeiro and went on a nice run of form making the play offs and playing great defense.

    I don't think they need too much tweaking to repeat. Possibly another winger and some full back/defensive depth. After that it's just players staying healthy. As with anything the play offs always require a bit of luck.

    By international soccer do you mean like EPL/Bundesliga or national team? National team football can be pretty brutal to watch, especially friendlies and qualifiers. Players don't have the familiarity of playing with each other on a regular basis so there is less flow. World cups etc can be a bit better to watch but the quality seems to have dropped a bit as the club game becomes more dominant and has all the money.

    European/South American club soccer is stronger but Americans do the MLS a disservice. I don't think the standard is always as bad as made out. It is a lower standard but always will be due to the salary cap and the EPL pays very mediocre players a lot of money which in some peoples eyes makes them good players. However, I've seen just as many good games in MLS as the EPL and saw just as many brutal games. People just buy into the hype and marketing of the EPL here but a lot of the 'top' games recently have been brutal such as the merseyside derby.

    EPL and our national teams. I'm working when MLS is on and I don't have cable/satellite so can't record anything.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 948
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:27 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:47 am
  • This rumor seems to be gaining some steam, now that Kiyotake is for sure gone from Sevilla

    http://www.sounderatheart.com/2017/1/28 ... a-sounders

    I liked this move when it was rumored last year, so hopefully it happens. Kiyotake is a very versatile mid, although he and Dempsey prefer the same position.......so if he does come here AND Clint is back in full, it'll be interesting to see what formations Schmetzer uses. Not a bad problem to have.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12029
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:20 am
  • Where in midfield does he play? We just signed a swedish defensive midfielder, im guessing as a backup replacement for friberg.

    Ozzy, roldan and lodeiro and possibly dempsey...where is the space in the middle? We will have shipp pm one side and maybe morris but central misfield is a bit cramped outside of depth players.

    Have the FO finally gave up on the idea of trading ozzy? They admitted they tried to early last year then he hit form.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:37 pm
  • From what I understand, the front office was never actively seeking to trade Ozzy they were just open to offers.

    Kiyotake brings a lot of what Ivanschitz brought. He's got great vision and the ability to play the perfect ball from just about anywhere, great service and accuracy on his crosses. He can play every advanced position (including forward) and he's a threat to score from anywhere. Much like Lodeiro, Kiyotake tends to be at his best when the ball goes through him. He doesn't offer much in the way of pace and from what I've seen doesn't display a lot of effort on the defensive end either.

    So, If this is truly the guy Seattle is after, it might be a sign that we are moving towards a much more possession-oriented style of play. A style that relies on the free roaming creativity of Kiyotake, Dempsey, and Lodeiro, to create space/passing lanes for each other while using the threat of Morris to stop teams from crowding and suffocating them in the middle. Think 2010'-14' Spain - Lodeiro fills the Xavi role, Kiyotake is your Iniesta, Dempsey is Pedro, and Morris is Villa. It's hard to say how well it would work, Lodeiro isn't nearly as adept a defender as Xavi, and Dempsey probably can't cover all the ground of Pedro... It is, however, something we've never seen in MLS and would be at the very least interesting to see how backlines adapt and defend against DP quality creative players, who are good in tight spaces.

    To my eyes, Kiyotake is more of a Dempsey replacement than compliment at this point. Either way, if you can add a quality AM in his prime you probably do it regardless of fit... especially knowing Dempey's long term future is relatively unclear.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1293
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:17 pm
  • Kiyotake would join Dempsey and Lodeiro in the 3 behind the top striker. Roldan and Ozzie holding behind.


    Nico would play on the left, Dempsey in the middle, and Kiyotake on the right. All three players would be allowed to interchange and move wherever there was space.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:52 am

Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:14 pm
  • Apparently, "several outlets" have reported that Kiyotake would prefer to go home (Japan) if/when he leaves Sevilla.

    http://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders- ... ders-japan

    Supposedly there have also been offers from Mainz in the Bundesliga and Aston Villa among others.

    I'm thinking this Kiyotake to Seattle thing is seeming pretty unlikely. Sure, you never know, but chances don't seem very high at this point IMO. At the end of the day, if the guy wants to go home, there's not much you can do. If he's OK with not going home yet, sounds like he's going to be fielding offers from at least a few different clubs/leagues.
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2419
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:17 pm
  • Smurf wrote:Kiyotake would join Dempsey and Lodeiro in the 3 behind the top striker. Roldan and Ozzie holding behind.


    Nico would play on the left, Dempsey in the middle, and Kiyotake on the right. All three players would be allowed to interchange and move wherever there was space.



    That would be a terribly slow group of attacking mids...
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:59 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Kiyotake would join Dempsey and Lodeiro in the 3 behind the top striker. Roldan and Ozzie holding behind.


    Nico would play on the left, Dempsey in the middle, and Kiyotake on the right. All three players would be allowed to interchange and move wherever there was space.



    That would be a terribly slow group of attacking mids...


    Kiyotake's only 27, and pretty damn fast.

    Definitely not a true winger like IMO we need, but he's versatile and would do well out wide I think............for sure has enough pace for the MLS.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12029
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:03 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Kiyotake would join Dempsey and Lodeiro in the 3 behind the top striker. Roldan and Ozzie holding behind.


    Nico would play on the left, Dempsey in the middle, and Kiyotake on the right. All three players would be allowed to interchange and move wherever there was space.



    That would be a terribly slow group of attacking mids...



    I've given up on the idea of Team Speed.

    Its Jordan or nothing.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4976
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:20 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Kiyotake would join Dempsey and Lodeiro in the 3 behind the top striker. Roldan and Ozzie holding behind.


    Nico would play on the left, Dempsey in the middle, and Kiyotake on the right. All three players would be allowed to interchange and move wherever there was space.



    That would be a terribly slow group of attacking mids...


    Kiyotake's only 27, and pretty damn fast.

    Definitely not a true winger like IMO we need, but he's versatile and would do well out wide I think............for sure has enough pace for the MLS.



    I didn't say he was old, and he certainly is not pretty damned fast.

    Any width that a combination of Lodeiro and Kiyotake would provide would be cursory... they are attacking midfields. If you run those three together it would be more like Smurf suggested, with the three of them moving in and out of the central channels to pick up passes from the back. your outside backs would have to become very adept at moving up the field to provide possession support in the wide attacking areas. Chelsea/Liverpool do the same thing with their mids and backs.

    Certainly the quality is there. But pace is the one thing the MLS has a lot of. those three would have to be very creative and Morris would have to be a very active central striker to release into the diagonal channels left open with those three popping up into central areas.

    Just my take. It's the formation I like to teach my players and use at both high school and Academy. I don't use two true DMs either. One 6 to sit and hold while the 8 can run into any channels vacated by the 3 CAMs. I find it easier and less predictable than two 6s who either both sit or both only leave under certain conditions. Again, Liverpool and Chelsea do something similar (and can be seen LIVE on NBCTV this afternoon!)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:28 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Kiyotake would join Dempsey and Lodeiro in the 3 behind the top striker. Roldan and Ozzie holding behind.


    Nico would play on the left, Dempsey in the middle, and Kiyotake on the right. All three players would be allowed to interchange and move wherever there was space.



    That would be a terribly slow group of attacking mids...


    Kiyotake's only 27, and pretty damn fast.

    Definitely not a true winger like IMO we need, but he's versatile and would do well out wide I think............for sure has enough pace for the MLS.



    I didn't say he was old, and he certainly is not pretty damned fast.

    Any width that a combination of Lodeiro and Kiyotake would provide would be cursory... they are attacking midfields. If you run those three together it would be more like Smurf suggested, with the three of them moving in and out of the central channels to pick up passes from the back. your outside backs would have to become very adept at moving up the field to provide possession support in the wide attacking areas. Chelsea/Liverpool do the same thing with their mids and backs.

    Certainly the quality is there. But pace is the one thing the MLS has a lot of. those three would have to be very creative and Morris would have to be a very active central striker to release into the diagonal channels left open with those three popping up into central areas.

    Just my take. It's the formation I like to teach my players and use at both high school and Academy. I don't use two true DMs either. One 6 to sit and hold while the 8 can run into any channels vacated by the 3 CAMs. I find it easier and less predictable than two 6s who either both sit or both only leave under certain conditions. Again, Liverpool and Chelsea do something similar (and can be seen LIVE on NBCTV this afternoon!)


    Well we won't have to debate this much longer, cause I highly doubt Kiyotake's coming here now that all the rumors says he wants to go back to Japan.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12029
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:40 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

    I didn't say he was old, and he certainly is not pretty damned fast.

    Any width that a combination of Lodeiro and Kiyotake would provide would be cursory... they are attacking midfields. If you run those three together it would be more like Smurf suggested, with the three of them moving in and out of the central channels to pick up passes from the back. your outside backs would have to become very adept at moving up the field to provide possession support in the wide attacking areas. Chelsea/Liverpool do the same thing with their mids and backs.

    Certainly the quality is there. But pace is the one thing the MLS has a lot of. those three would have to be very creative and Morris would have to be a very active central striker to release into the diagonal channels left open with those three popping up into central areas.

    Just my take. It's the formation I like to teach my players and use at both high school and Academy. I don't use two true DMs either. One 6 to sit and hold while the 8 can run into any channels vacated by the 3 CAMs. I find it easier and less predictable than two 6s who either both sit or both only leave under certain conditions. Again, Liverpool and Chelsea do something similar (and can be seen LIVE on NBCTV this afternoon!)


    Well we won't have to debate this much longer, cause I highly doubt Kiyotake's coming here now that all the rumors says he wants to go back to Japan.


    Well we won't have to debate this much longer, cause I highly doubt Kiyotake's coming here now that all the rumors says he wants to go back to Japan.


    Maybe not with Kiyotake... but I would imagine this is the idea that the Sounders have for their team moving into the next season. If you are going to play Lodeiro and dempsey together in the midfield, you are essentially relying on technical skill and tactical acumen. I imagine they look for a similar player to accompany them.. or look to play a 4-4-1-1 with dempsey underneath Morris as they did with Obo long ago. Then you have need for a true wide player
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:58 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Maybe not with Kiyotake... but I would imagine this is the idea that the Sounders have for their team moving into the next season. If you are going to play Lodeiro and dempsey together in the midfield, you are essentially relying on technical skill and tactical acumen. I imagine they look for a similar player to accompany them.. or look to play a 4-4-1-1 with dempsey underneath Morris as they did with Obo long ago. Then you have need for a true wide player


    I agree, and I've said all along I'd like a true winger that can play wide and stretch the defense.

    People keep talking about Dempsey's replacement, but really we should be discussing Morris's replacement. Because as of now he's the ONLY player we have that scares the defense pace/speed wise, and he probably isn't going to be here much longer.

    So unless we want to turn into another lumbering plodding MLS team that relies too heavily on trying to work the ball through the middle narrowly, then we need to find a true winger with pace.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12029
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:06 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Maybe not with Kiyotake... but I would imagine this is the idea that the Sounders have for their team moving into the next season. If you are going to play Lodeiro and dempsey together in the midfield, you are essentially relying on technical skill and tactical acumen. I imagine they look for a similar player to accompany them.. or look to play a 4-4-1-1 with dempsey underneath Morris as they did with Obo long ago. Then you have need for a true wide player


    I agree, and I've said all along I'd like a true winger that can play wide and stretch the defense.

    People keep talking about Dempsey's replacement, but really we should be discussing Morris's replacement. Because as of now he's the ONLY player we have that scares the defense pace/speed wise, and he probably isn't going to be here much longer.

    So unless we want to turn into another lumbering plodding MLS team that relies too heavily on trying to work the ball through the middle narrowly, then we need to find a true winger with pace.


    two fold, right? Morris will certainly be a Sounder until the Summer. and if they are playing with a 3 CAM system he will finally get to play the 9.

    If they want to find a true winger to add speed to the width then the tactics probably need to change... and I see that moving Dempsey to the bench, eventually (like by Summer... i just don't think he will be that effective this year)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:00 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Maybe not with Kiyotake... but I would imagine this is the idea that the Sounders have for their team moving into the next season. If you are going to play Lodeiro and dempsey together in the midfield, you are essentially relying on technical skill and tactical acumen. I imagine they look for a similar player to accompany them.. or look to play a 4-4-1-1 with dempsey underneath Morris as they did with Obo long ago. Then you have need for a true wide player


    I agree, and I've said all along I'd like a true winger that can play wide and stretch the defense.

    People keep talking about Dempsey's replacement, but really we should be discussing Morris's replacement. Because as of now he's the ONLY player we have that scares the defense pace/speed wise, and he probably isn't going to be here much longer.

    So unless we want to turn into another lumbering plodding MLS team that relies too heavily on trying to work the ball through the middle narrowly, then we need to find a true winger with pace.


    We should be talking about both. Dempsey is almost 34 and won't be getting remotely the same money in his next contract if we even bother offering him one.

    That leaves a DP spot and large salary eventually that will probably go to the forward spot.

    Morris will leave eventually but a lot will hinge on this season on how consistent he can stay, health and being less 1 footed. Although he may end up taking dempseys dp spot and a far higher salary for a few years?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:40 am

Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:38 am
  • Just don't see where he would have fitted tbh.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:56 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Just don't see where he would have fitted tbh.


    i wrote a pretty long post on it?

    Sounders have to figure out what their front 4 will look like in deciding what type of player they bring in next.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:39 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Just don't see where he would have fitted tbh.


    Doesn't matter DP DP DP DP DP!!!

    Schmetzer is a lot more pliable formation and tactics wise than Sigi ever was, so I'm sure he could have figured out a way to fit Kiyotake into the formations, as Si wrote about.

    I'm actually glad this signing didn't work out. Because now it gives us until the summer transfer window to see if Dempsey is all the way back, or if he's done and we need to go in a different direction.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12029
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:15 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Just don't see where he would have fitted tbh.


    i wrote a pretty long post on it?

    Sounders have to figure out what their front 4 will look like in deciding what type of player they bring in next.


    You did, i just dont think it would have been optimal for guys like Lodeiro.

    Definitely agree with Sgt Largent about waiting to see how Dempsey does and making a decision in the summer. We have valdez dp spot free but id rsther wait till either the right player comes or see what our injury situation is like in the summer.

    Looking at the roster i would like another rb even just for depth given evans injury history last season. Wouldnt mind another winger as well for depth
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:14 am
  • I'm starting to think Will Bruin might be the #9 with Morris dropping back into the midfield. The more I see Bruin the more I feel he could be primed for a 10 goal season and at this point, he might be a better overall player than Flacco. I'm biased, though, I view Morris long term more as an inverted winger than a traditional CF... so for me, it doesn't slow down his development.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1293
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:50 am
  • knownone wrote:I'm starting to think Will Bruin might be the #9 with Morris dropping back into the midfield. The more I see Bruin the more I feel he could be primed for a 10 goal season and at this point, he might be a better overall player than Flacco. I'm biased, though, I view Morris long term more as an inverted winger than a traditional CF... so for me, it doesn't slow down his development.



    I have not seen any of Bruin, but I do disagree on Morris. I don't think he has the technical skill to play the inverted winger position to any great effect, not long term (in Europe or USMNT) atleast.

    Could slide Morris back out wide. Or, any way they put them both up top and run a diamond Mid? Loderio out wide, Dempsey underneath the strikers, Ozzy holding and (insert other winger).
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:51 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Just don't see where he would have fitted tbh.


    I agree. I'm glad they didn't waste the open DP on him. Not that he's not a good player, he is. I just think the position he plays is overcrowded as is. Basically I don't believe the Sounders need him. Roldan, Kovar, Alonso, Fernandez, Lodeiro, Dempsey, Shipp, Oduro, Svensson, and Wingo plus if necessary they can always use Evans or Jones in the midfield too...that's a crowded midfield.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6584
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:26 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    knownone wrote:I'm starting to think Will Bruin might be the #9 with Morris dropping back into the midfield. The more I see Bruin the more I feel he could be primed for a 10 goal season and at this point, he might be a better overall player than Flacco. I'm biased, though, I view Morris long term more as an inverted winger than a traditional CF... so for me, it doesn't slow down his development.



    I have not seen any of Bruin, but I do disagree on Morris. I don't think he has the technical skill to play the inverted winger position to any great effect, not long term (in Europe or USMNT) atleast.

    Could slide Morris back out wide. Or, any way they put them both up top and run a diamond Mid? Loderio out wide, Dempsey underneath the strikers, Ozzy holding and (insert other winger).


    Other winger being Shipp?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:28 am
  • knownone wrote:I'm starting to think Will Bruin might be the #9 with Morris dropping back into the midfield. The more I see Bruin the more I feel he could be primed for a 10 goal season and at this point, he might be a better overall player than Flacco. I'm biased, though, I view Morris long term more as an inverted winger than a traditional CF... so for me, it doesn't slow down his development.


    Did Bruin not score a lot of the Dynamo? Pretty sure he is also a bit of a hot head and has been sent off a lot, could be wrong.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:28 am
  • Portland sign Blanco and the sounders get $75k in allocation money by discovering him.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:59 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Portland sign Blanco and the sounders get $75k in allocation money by discovering him.


    I guess it's a small win for the Sounders. Too bad they couldn't get the player though. I'm not sure I'm sold on the allocation system but it does provide a level field for teams. My thought is if a player is discovered by a team, that team should have first crack to sign him. If he spurns their offer, then maybe other teams can sign him. Did Blanco turn down the Sounders or was he just given to the Timbers based on allocation order?
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6584
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:14 pm
  • For obscure players yes it rewards good scouting. When teams have discovery rights on drogba, rooney, messi etc its a farce.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:56 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:For obscure players yes it rewards good scouting. When teams have discovery rights on drogba, rooney, messi etc its a farce.


    Everton got a nice chunk for Rooney. Messi moved to Barca at 12.

    Interesting now with the 14 year limit how many small local clubs might benefit from having some superstar player in their club when he was like 12
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:30 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:For obscure players yes it rewards good scouting. When teams have discovery rights on drogba, rooney, messi etc its a farce.


    Everton got a nice chunk for Rooney. Messi moved to Barca at 12.

    Interesting now with the 14 year limit how many small local clubs might benefit from having some superstar player in their club when he was like 12


    Im just talking about already world class established players. Every mls team owns discovery rights to these guys despite never having discovered them and them being common knowledge. I used 36 year old drogba as an example . Montreal had to pay a chunk of change to chicago for those rites. There should be an age limit or a rule stopping players from the top leagues being included as they rarely have to be scouted and are well known.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:47 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Portland sign Blanco and the sounders get $75k in allocation money by discovering him.


    I guess it's a small win for the Sounders. Too bad they couldn't get the player though. I'm not sure I'm sold on the allocation system but it does provide a level field for teams. My thought is if a player is discovered by a team, that team should have first crack to sign him. If he spurns their offer, then maybe other teams can sign him. Did Blanco turn down the Sounders or was he just given to the Timbers based on allocation order?


    Welcome to the MLS, the no transparency league.

    I said a page ago that something smelled funny about this whole Blanco situation.

    The Sounder's discovered him, began negotiations, rumors were flying and then all of a sudden Portland's in the mix?

    Why would Blanco choose Portland over Seattle if the contract offered was equal without the league meddling? This whole thing stinks to me.

    You watch, now that Blanco's going to Portland, Nagbe is gone to Celtic. Which will only prove I'm right that the league stepped in and told Portland that if they agreed to sell Nagbe, they'd get them Blanco.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12029
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:51 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Portland sign Blanco and the sounders get $75k in allocation money by discovering him.


    I guess it's a small win for the Sounders. Too bad they couldn't get the player though. I'm not sure I'm sold on the allocation system but it does provide a level field for teams. My thought is if a player is discovered by a team, that team should have first crack to sign him. If he spurns their offer, then maybe other teams can sign him. Did Blanco turn down the Sounders or was he just given to the Timbers based on allocation order?


    Welcome to the MLS, the no transparency league.

    I said a page ago that something smelled funny about this whole Blanco situation.

    The Sounder's discovered him, began negotiations, rumors were flying and then all of a sudden Portland's in the mix?

    Why would Blanco choose Portland over Seattle if the contract offered was equal without the league meddling? This whole thing stinks to me.

    You watch, now that Blanco's going to Portland, Nagbe is gone to Celtic. Which will only prove I'm right that the league stepped in and told Portland that if they agreed to sell Nagbe, they'd get them Blanco.


    The European transfer window is closed so Nagbe is at Portland till the summer at least
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:26 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:For obscure players yes it rewards good scouting. When teams have discovery rights on drogba, rooney, messi etc its a farce.


    Everton got a nice chunk for Rooney. Messi moved to Barca at 12.

    Interesting now with the 14 year limit how many small local clubs might benefit from having some superstar player in their club when he was like 12


    Im just talking about already world class established players. Every mls team owns discovery rights to these guys despite never having discovered them and them being common knowledge. I used 36 year old drogba as an example . Montreal had to pay a chunk of change to chicago for those rites. There should be an age limit or a rule stopping players from the top leagues being included as they rarely have to be scouted and are well known.


    Yeah I misread the "discovery" rights...


    what a sham
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:33 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    I said a page ago that something smelled funny about this whole Blanco situation.

    The Sounder's discovered him, began negotiations, rumors were flying and then all of a sudden Portland's in the mix?

    Why would Blanco choose Portland over Seattle if the contract offered was equal without the league meddling? This whole thing stinks to me.


    Not gonna pretend like i know anything about this, but I read that he's a past teammate, and good friends with, Diego Valeri. Might be as simple as that.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23218
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:19 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    knownone wrote:I'm starting to think Will Bruin might be the #9 with Morris dropping back into the midfield. The more I see Bruin the more I feel he could be primed for a 10 goal season and at this point, he might be a better overall player than Flacco. I'm biased, though, I view Morris long term more as an inverted winger than a traditional CF... so for me, it doesn't slow down his development.



    I have not seen any of Bruin, but I do disagree on Morris. I don't think he has the technical skill to play the inverted winger position to any great effect, not long term (in Europe or USMNT) atleast.

    Could slide Morris back out wide. Or, any way they put them both up top and run a diamond Mid? Loderio out wide, Dempsey underneath the strikers, Ozzy holding and (insert other winger).

    I actually agree with you on Morris, I'm mostly grading his long-term potential in MLS, I think he'd be a dominant inverted winger long term in MLS. You are right, though, in Europe, he probably doesn't have the skill to play in any of the major leagues at that position. Now, I'd argue that at 22, unless Morris makes a huge jump (which is entirely possible) I have a hard time seeing him play for anything but a low to mid table team in Europe as a CF (Unless he's in Scandinavia or Ligue 1), and for the Nats I actually like Rubio Rubin long term over Morris at CF both are young though so we'll see...

    You are right, they could slide Morris out wide, or maybe they are high on Fernandez/Shipp and thus keep Bruin on the bench, which is possible both guys look pretty good so far in the preseason. I don't think we'll see a diamond mid, only because Garth has made it a point to stick with one system to make it easier to swap players in and out. It's possible, though, and let's be real, that's probably the best-case scenario for Dempsey.

    Bruin is not gonna wow you, he's not great with the ball at his feet, he's average at hold up play, he's not gonna impress with his creativity or finishing. What he has is great positional awareness and deceptive movement off the ball which I believe will translate well with the number of creative players Seattle has.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1293
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:47 am

Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:38 pm
  • It sucks but there's no space for him here right now unless Dempsey retires. He'll probably score against us at some point though but the Whitecaps have a lot of holes in their squad to be a contender right now.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:45 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:It sucks but there's no space for him here right now unless Dempsey retires. He'll probably score against us at some point though but the Whitecaps have a lot of holes in their squad to be a contender right now.


    Would you rather have Montero or Dempsey?
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 12331
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:04 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:It sucks but there's no space for him here right now unless Dempsey retires. He'll probably score against us at some point though but the Whitecaps have a lot of holes in their squad to be a contender right now.


    We have a DP spot open now don't we cause Valdez left?

    Is Montero the DP we want? Probably not, but we have an open DP slot.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12029
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:30 pm
  • We do have a DP spot, I just meant we probably don't need another forward yet, especially a pricey one.

    I'm guessing they'll be picky on who they use the DP slot on and wait for the right guy, similar to how they were with Lodeiro. Probably depends what position group gets hardest hit with injuries. For example, if Evans gets hurt again they might use it on a RB.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1072
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


PreviousNext


It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:10 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online