Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:34 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:We do have a DP spot, I just meant we probably don't need another forward yet, especially a pricey one.

    I'm guessing they'll be picky on who they use the DP slot on and wait for the right guy, similar to how they were with Lodeiro. Probably depends what position group gets hardest hit with injuries. For example, if Evans gets hurt again they might use it on a RB.


    Yep, I think we wait until the summer transfer window and add a winger or back.

    Like I said, until we know if Dempsey is going to regain his form, no reason to rush into a DP signing. Because if Dempsey's not going to be a major piece going forward, that'd change the entire team dynamic, and therefore change DP priorities.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 11088
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:15 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:It sucks but there's no space for him here right now unless Dempsey retires. He'll probably score against us at some point though but the Whitecaps have a lot of holes in their squad to be a contender right now.


    Would you rather have Montero or Dempsey?

    Easily Dempsey for me.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1284
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:51 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:We do have a DP spot, I just meant we probably don't need another forward yet, especially a pricey one.

    I'm guessing they'll be picky on who they use the DP slot on and wait for the right guy, similar to how they were with Lodeiro. Probably depends what position group gets hardest hit with injuries. For example, if Evans gets hurt again they might use it on a RB.


    Yep, I think we wait until the summer transfer window and add a winger or back.

    Like I said, until we know if Dempsey is going to regain his form, no reason to rush into a DP signing. Because if Dempsey's not going to be a major piece going forward, that'd change the entire team dynamic, and therefore change DP priorities.


    I think you can easily use your DP spot on a player of similar abilities as Dempsey. They'd have one year together and then that player would assume his role next season.

    Lodeiro and Dempsey occupy two of what would be 3 CAM players. Adding another would give you a similar front line set up to Liverpool, City, Chelsea with plenty of flexibility to adjust or change formations.

    Plus, the CAM spot is still and always the most skillful position in the sport. That's the player you look for the most. Dempsey is still the only US player who has ever played it well and at a high level. But he's 34 (?).
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 11852
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:30 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:We do have a DP spot, I just meant we probably don't need another forward yet, especially a pricey one.

    I'm guessing they'll be picky on who they use the DP slot on and wait for the right guy, similar to how they were with Lodeiro. Probably depends what position group gets hardest hit with injuries. For example, if Evans gets hurt again they might use it on a RB.


    Yep, I think we wait until the summer transfer window and add a winger or back.

    Like I said, until we know if Dempsey is going to regain his form, no reason to rush into a DP signing. Because if Dempsey's not going to be a major piece going forward, that'd change the entire team dynamic, and therefore change DP priorities.


    I think you can easily use your DP spot on a player of similar abilities as Dempsey. They'd have one year together and then that player would assume his role next season.

    Lodeiro and Dempsey occupy two of what would be 3 CAM players. Adding another would give you a similar front line set up to Liverpool, City, Chelsea with plenty of flexibility to adjust or change formations.

    Plus, the CAM spot is still and always the most skillful position in the sport. That's the player you look for the most. Dempsey is still the only US player who has ever played it well and at a high level. But he's 34 (?).


    But what if Dempsey comes back in full form and we want him for 2-3 more years?

    That's my point, don't rush out and get another similar DP to Dempsey if Dempsey isn't going anywhere. Then we can use that DP slot on another position of need like winger or defender.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 11088
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:05 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    I think you can easily use your DP spot on a player of similar abilities as Dempsey. They'd have one year together and then that player would assume his role next season.

    Lodeiro and Dempsey occupy two of what would be 3 CAM players. Adding another would give you a similar front line set up to Liverpool, City, Chelsea with plenty of flexibility to adjust or change formations.

    Plus, the CAM spot is still and always the most skillful position in the sport. That's the player you look for the most. Dempsey is still the only US player who has ever played it well and at a high level. But he's 34 (?).


    But what if Dempsey comes back in full form and we want him for 2-3 more years?

    That's my point, don't rush out and get another similar DP to Dempsey if Dempsey isn't going anywhere. Then we can use that DP slot on another position of need like winger or defender.


    Like i said, then you play with 3 CAMs across the front line with Morris above them for the next 2-3 years..

    Its a formation that alot of clubs are moving to. More possession in higher areas up the field, allows for more efficient transitions and more flexibility across the front.

    Essentially, instead of playing a 4231 with wide wingers who use speed you play it with tucked in wingers who unlock teams with technical and tactical acumen... like having two Lodeiros on either side of Dempsey

    City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs are doing the same thing to great effect at the moment.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 11852
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:55 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:We do have a DP spot, I just meant we probably don't need another forward yet, especially a pricey one.

    I'm guessing they'll be picky on who they use the DP slot on and wait for the right guy, similar to how they were with Lodeiro. Probably depends what position group gets hardest hit with injuries. For example, if Evans gets hurt again they might use it on a RB.


    Yep, I think we wait until the summer transfer window and add a winger or back.

    Like I said, until we know if Dempsey is going to regain his form, no reason to rush into a DP signing. Because if Dempsey's not going to be a major piece going forward, that'd change the entire team dynamic, and therefore change DP priorities.


    I think you can easily use your DP spot on a player of similar abilities as Dempsey. They'd have one year together and then that player would assume his role next season.

    Lodeiro and Dempsey occupy two of what would be 3 CAM players. Adding another would give you a similar front line set up to Liverpool, City, Chelsea with plenty of flexibility to adjust or change formations.

    Plus, the CAM spot is still and always the most skillful position in the sport. That's the player you look for the most. Dempsey is still the only US player who has ever played it well and at a high level. But he's 34 (?).


    But what if Dempsey comes back in full form and we want him for 2-3 more years?

    That's my point, don't rush out and get another similar DP to Dempsey if Dempsey isn't going anywhere. Then we can use that DP slot on another position of need like winger or defender.


    Is his contract not up next season? I feel even if he is in form the Sounders won't pay him the same money given his age and the fact they've been pretty loyal and paid him while he has missed games due being hurt, suspended and bailed on them for national team duty.

    As much as Dempsey is a good player I think both Martins and Lodeiro have been better value signings for the money paid.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1013
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:26 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Is his contract not up next season? I feel even if he is in form the Sounders won't pay him the same money given his age and the fact they've been pretty loyal and paid him while he has missed games due being hurt, suspended and bailed on them for national team duty.

    As much as Dempsey is a good player I think both Martins and Lodeiro have been better value signings for the money paid.


    Not sure when Dempsey's contract is up, but I could see if he came back and had a monster year that we'd want to keep him for another year or two. He's a high profile beloved USMNT player that sells kits, so no reason to rush him out the door unless he really struggles this year with health and/or form.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 11088
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:58 am
  • Rumor has Seattle signing Japanese winger Keisuke Honda "in the next few days".

    http://www.football-italia.net/98803/ho ... e-imminent
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9265
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:05 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Is his contract not up next season? I feel even if he is in form the Sounders won't pay him the same money given his age and the fact they've been pretty loyal and paid him while he has missed games due being hurt, suspended and bailed on them for national team duty.

    As much as Dempsey is a good player I think both Martins and Lodeiro have been better value signings for the money paid.


    Not sure when Dempsey's contract is up, but I could see if he came back and had a monster year that we'd want to keep him for another year or two. He's a high profile beloved USMNT player that sells kits, so no reason to rush him out the door unless he really struggles this year with health and/or form.


    You run into a situation like United have with Wayne Rooney then. I don't see any way that Dempsey comes back and has the kind of year that would earn him a bigger contract for two more years.

    If the Sounders were to re-sign him, it would have to be for less money than he is making. He is certainly going to help the team, but I think it would be a smart play by the Sounders to focus more on his replacement than invest in his future.

    re: Honda: would be a good MLS player. Technical winger, not pacey, would play well inside with Lodeiro and Dempsey.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 11852
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 am
  • I hope the Sounders sign this guy! (I'm having a hard time rationalizing my attraction towards soccer players...)

    Image
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34838
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:49 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:I hope the Sounders sign this guy! (I'm having a hard time rationalizing my attraction towards soccer players...)

    Image


    We can't afford even 1 of Ronaldo's abs.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4951
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:50 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Is his contract not up next season? I feel even if he is in form the Sounders won't pay him the same money given his age and the fact they've been pretty loyal and paid him while he has missed games due being hurt, suspended and bailed on them for national team duty.

    As much as Dempsey is a good player I think both Martins and Lodeiro have been better value signings for the money paid.


    Not sure when Dempsey's contract is up, but I could see if he came back and had a monster year that we'd want to keep him for another year or two. He's a high profile beloved USMNT player that sells kits, so no reason to rush him out the door unless he really struggles this year with health and/or form.


    You run into a situation like United have with Wayne Rooney then. I don't see any way that Dempsey comes back and has the kind of year that would earn him a bigger contract for two more years.

    If the Sounders were to re-sign him, it would have to be for less money than he is making. He is certainly going to help the team, but I think it would be a smart play by the Sounders to focus more on his replacement than invest in his future.

    re: Honda: would be a good MLS player. Technical winger, not pacey, would play well inside with Lodeiro and Dempsey.



    4231 seems to be the formation we will play. Honda fits nicely into that. Might look more like a 4-4-1-1 like Dempsey use to run with Fulham back in the day.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4951
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:12 am
  • Any updates on the Honda rumors? I'm seeing conflicting reports that Honda has been sold and will be a Sounder by the start of the MLS season and other reports showing AC Milan's CEO confirming they are not selling Honda. I don't know what's true anymore!

    I'm not sure how I'd feel if the Sounders sign Honda - This feels more like a public relations signing than a signing based solely on performance and overall benefit to the club. Honda is, after all, a bit of a cult hero and with that comes an insane following and a brand globalizing effect that reaches into the dedicated and widely untapped Japanese market in MLS. All of that is good long term for the Sounders and the league...

    But is it good for the Sounders on the field? I really don't know if Honda at this stage is better than the multitude of other guys the Sounders have been rumored to be following. On top of that, the fit doesn't seem natural, he's not a goal scorer, he doesn't offer much in pace, and he's not much of a defender. He is at best a complimentary piece that fits squarely in between a Dempsey type player and a Lodeiro type. I don't mean that to demean Honda who very well may be a better player than both Dempsey and Lodeiro, I just don't see how adding Honda is the best option for the club on the field.

    I'm open to being wrong on this, so if anyone has any insight that could sway me one way or the other, please lay it on me.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1284
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:18 am
  • Anything i've read says summer if at all. Seems like a high risk move. I just hope it doesn't affect Lodeiro, not sure how I'd feel if he got punted wide.

    If it's anything like Nakamura at Celtic, this could be a huge money spinner for the Sounders. They got Japanese fans turning up at random games in Scotland just to see him play and there added tv deals to that market along with increased jersey sales.

    I'm not sure if he is as popular as Nakamura was but if he is this could be beneficial to both the Sounders and MLS.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1013
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:20 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I hope the Sounders sign this guy! (I'm having a hard time rationalizing my attraction towards soccer players...)

    Image


    We can't afford even 1 of Ronaldo's abs.


    If he ever went to MLS it would be to NY or LA. Probably NY where the sheiks could pay his ridiculous salary and probably not till he is old.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1013
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:54 pm
  • Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 3172
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:44 am
  • KitsapGuy wrote:


    Brittle Brad be Brittle Braddin'
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 11088
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:21 am
  • Oh Brad :( carrying on last years injuries. Either his body is breaking down or he isnt training right.

    We are extremely light at rb, guessing fisher plays this week?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1013
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:35 pm
  • I know Zach Scott's testimonial is on wednesday and he'll make money from it but did the Sounders offer him a gig as a coach or ambassador similar to Levesque?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1013
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:47 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I know Zach Scott's testimonial is on wednesday and he'll make money from it but did the Sounders offer him a gig as a coach or ambassador similar to Levesque?


    I haven't read anything on this, but the Sounders would be stupid to not do something similar.

    Scott IMO is a very similar story as Schmetzer, hard assed hard working player that everyone respected. He'd make a great coach to incorporate into the organizational side........obviously if that's what he'd like to do.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 11088
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:08 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I know Zach Scott's testimonial is on wednesday and he'll make money from it but did the Sounders offer him a gig as a coach or ambassador similar to Levesque?


    I haven't read anything on this, but the Sounders would be stupid to not do something similar.

    Scott IMO is a very similar story as Schmetzer, hard assed hard working player that everyone respected. He'd make a great coach to incorporate into the organizational side........obviously if that's what he'd like to do.



    He is now a member of the Broadcast team. He'll be doing pre, half, and post-game stuff occasionally.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4951
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:58 pm
  • Little disappointed that MN United only started one of the 4 carry overs from the NASL team. Hope Ibarra and Ramirez come on 2nd half.

    Scrappy affair. Portland creating better chances. United stringing together neater play but nothing in the attacking 3rd.

    So Ramirez comes in and gets franchises first goal... fitting. Team then concedes 3 goals in 15 minutes.. also fitting
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 11852
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:31 am
  • First game out of the way...hopefully the Sounders will show up for a full 90 rather than just 45 minutes in the next game. Pathetic first half but looked much better in the 2nd half. I think Alonso wanted to be a part of the Dynamo in the first half the way he was passing the ball to them.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6279
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:35 pm
  • Who gave up the ball for the 2nd goal and didn't recover
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 11852
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:40 pm
  • Now that the season's started I updated the thread title.
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9265
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:47 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Now that the season's started I updated the thread title.


    Would you all care if we made it a general MLS thread (emphasis on Sounders?)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 11852
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:17 pm
  • Thought frei, ozzy, morris and dempsey looked very rusty. Did they play much preseason? I know dempsey scored but felt he didnt do much else which is to be expected.

    The guy playing rb looked like he got exposed at points, probably as he isnt a rb.

    Better 2nd half, hopefully we improve with games and fitness.

    Joevin jones looked good second half
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1013
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:38 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Now that the season's started I updated the thread title.


    Would you all care if we made it a general MLS thread (emphasis on Sounders?)

    Fine by me. We can always use more soccer talk. :)
    Image

    2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9265
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:00 am
  • Kinda what I expected after the lackluster preseason matches, a rusty club that wasn't quite ready to start the season.

    But the 2nd half was encouraging, and more of what I expect going forward now. Much more energy and urgency.

    I actually liked our formation when Flaco came out, Bruin came in and Morris was pushed out wide. Not a fan of Flaco anymore, he doesn't bring a whole lot to the club when on the pitch. Makes Lodeiro's job much harder, and makes us easier to defend because everything was going down the left side.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 11088
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:58 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Now that the season's started I updated the thread title.


    Would you all care if we made it a general MLS thread (emphasis on Sounders?)


    Hot Timber talk: I know Minnesota wasnt the greatest test but I liked what I saw. David Guzman and diego Charra are going to be a real nice combination in the middle. Sebastian Blanco seems to be a nice step up from Lucas Melano. Melano had better speed but Blanco appears to have much better soccer instincts.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23025
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:14 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Now that the season's started I updated the thread title.


    Would you all care if we made it a general MLS thread (emphasis on Sounders?)


    Hot Timber talk: I know Minnesota wasnt the greatest test but I liked what I saw. David Guzman and diego Charra are going to be a real nice combination in the middle. Sebastian Blanco seems to be a nice step up from Lucas Melano. Melano had better speed but Blanco appears to have much better soccer instincts.


    Minnesota wasn't terrible by any means. they just could not defend the crosses well. thought both teams were benign in possession, with Portland really preferring to hit on the counter.

    Porter is a good coach. I think he will have them in the playoff hunt all season.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 11852
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:10 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Now that the season's started I updated the thread title.


    Would you all care if we made it a general MLS thread (emphasis on Sounders?)


    Hot Timber talk: I know Minnesota wasnt the greatest test but I liked what I saw. David Guzman and diego Charra are going to be a real nice combination in the middle. Sebastian Blanco seems to be a nice step up from Lucas Melano. Melano had better speed but Blanco appears to have much better soccer instincts.


    You mean Blanco that should be in a Sounders kit!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 11088
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:07 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Now that the season's started I updated the thread title.


    Would you all care if we made it a general MLS thread (emphasis on Sounders?)


    Hot Timber talk: I know Minnesota wasnt the greatest test but I liked what I saw. David Guzman and diego Charra are going to be a real nice combination in the middle. Sebastian Blanco seems to be a nice step up from Lucas Melano. Melano had better speed but Blanco appears to have much better soccer instincts.


    Minnesota wasn't terrible by any means. they just could not defend the crosses well. thought both teams were benign in possession, with Portland really preferring to hit on the counter.

    Porter is a good coach. I think he will have them in the playoff hunt all season.



    You know they have to play games on the road too right? :P
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4951
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:08 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Who gave up the ball for the 2nd goal and didn't recover



    It was either Dempsey or Svensson. Can't recall which.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4951
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:28 pm
  • So was the plan for Brad to play RB, or is Svennson our starting RB?

    Cause he was kinda shaky, not sure that's an upgrade over Mears going forward.

    Also would like to know why Schmetzer let Dempsey play a full 90, he was gassed after minute 70 committing bad turnovers. I know he scored, and that's great, but not sure I want him playing full matches until he's 100% fit, which it's obvious he's not.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 11088
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:53 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:So was the plan for Brad to play RB, or is Svennson our starting RB?

    Cause he was kinda shaky, not sure that's an upgrade over Mears going forward.

    Also would like to know why Schmetzer let Dempsey play a full 90, he was gassed after minute 70 committing bad turnovers. I know he scored, and that's great, but not sure I want him playing full matches until he's 100% fit, which it's obvious he's not.

    Here is how out of the loop I've been this offseason. I heard Svensson was starting at right back and assumed the Sounders signed Jonas Svensson and was wondering why he looked so much older and slower than I expected... Jonas Svensson is Norway's version of Yedlin and would have been an absolute score for MLS and the Sounders. Sadly I looked it up during the game and found it was a different Svensson who apparently plays CDM and given that he is a CDM and looked in your words "shaky" (I agree btw) I would assume Brad Evans is the RB for the Sounders when healthy. It does lead me to question why the Sounders didn't at the very least sign an adequate backup, given the amount of resources they've spent on positions of strength.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1284
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:51 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Who gave up the ball for the 2nd goal and didn't recover



    It was either Dempsey or Svensson. Can't recall which.


    Was so poor. Made no effort to recover.

    Just got my free tickets to Seattle at MN United, 8/5, courtesy of the MN High School league (benefits of winning a state title)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 11852
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:02 am
  • knownone wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:So was the plan for Brad to play RB, or is Svennson our starting RB?

    Cause he was kinda shaky, not sure that's an upgrade over Mears going forward.

    Also would like to know why Schmetzer let Dempsey play a full 90, he was gassed after minute 70 committing bad turnovers. I know he scored, and that's great, but not sure I want him playing full matches until he's 100% fit, which it's obvious he's not.

    Here is how out of the loop I've been this offseason. I heard Svensson was starting at right back and assumed the Sounders signed Jonas Svensson and was wondering why he looked so much older and slower than I expected... Jonas Svensson is Norway's version of Yedlin and would have been an absolute score for MLS and the Sounders. Sadly I looked it up during the game and found it was a different Svensson who apparently plays CDM and given that he is a CDM and looked in your words "shaky" (I agree btw) I would assume Brad Evans is the RB for the Sounders when healthy. It does lead me to question why the Sounders didn't at the very least sign an adequate backup, given the amount of resources they've spent on positions of strength.


    I questioned this during the off season, especially as Evans was hurt a ton last year. At the very least why wasn't Fisher playing who is a more natural RB?

    As for Dempsey, agreed he shouldn't be playing 90 minutes when he is just coming back. However, going forward when he is fully fit, are we expecting to play a 34/35 year old for full games? Especially when you have Bruin on the bench.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1013
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:27 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    I questioned this during the off season, especially as Evans was hurt a ton last year. At the very least why wasn't Fisher playing who is a more natural RB?.


    idk, I didn't read about any new injury to Fisher.

    Or how bout finally cutting ties with Evans and keeping Mears as a bench player, and saving 150k. Not sure what our love affair with Brad is for the past 2-3 years. I understand he's versatile, but when's the last time he's made it through even half a season without being Brittle Brad and getting hurt.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 11088
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:34 pm
  • Maybe Fisher coming on and contributing heavily to the tying goal will show Schmetzer that he belongs in the starting 11 as most of us were confused with last week.

    This is kinda what Sigi used to do, stick with the steady veterans over young and maybe lose some dependability.

    But Fisher played a lot last year, so still confused as to why Schmetzer's going with Svennson over Fisher?
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 11088
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:44 pm
  • 35K out for the MN United opener... 4 inches of snow fell, starting literally at kick off.

    they've lost now 5-1 and 6-1. I've got nothing. They're bad.

    Saw the Sounders recovery. Despite needing 2 goals late I thought they actually deserved the 1 point based on their overall performance. They were rather unlucky not to score prior to that.

    That said... they need help defending.. and I'm not just talking about the back line. There is a mentality issue there
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 11852
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:50 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    That said... they need help defending.. and I'm not just talking about the back line. There is a mentality issue there


    I agree, and that's the Dempsey effect. When playing a recessed center mid position it puts too much strain on Ozzie and Roldan (and even Lodeiro) to have to work so hard at both ends of the pitch cause Clint doesn't track back as far as he should to help..........that's why there's always so much space for the other team in our side of the midfield.

    You need all 4 of your mids to help defend, not just two.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 11088
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:14 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    That said... they need help defending.. and I'm not just talking about the back line. There is a mentality issue there


    I agree, and that's the Dempsey effect. When playing a recessed center mid position it puts too much strain on Ozzie and Roldan (and even Lodeiro) to have to work so hard at both ends of the pitch cause Clint doesn't track back as far as he should to help..........that's why there's always so much space for the other team in our side of the midfield.

    You need all 4 of your mids to help defend, not just two.


    Or just hold the ball better and then press defend when you lose it.

    I'm not a fan of the tactics i'm seeing. The only team that I think defends well with a true CDM is Chelsea (Kante and Matic). But they build so methodically that when they do lose the ball its typically on their attacking 3rd and they use the 3 forwards and the wing back on that side to press it back.

    Its fun to watch. Liverpool press defend similarly to remove pressure off the 6/8 player to defend. They struggle with long balls that skip the press as their back line is poor.

    I saw a few times in the Montreal game and then the 2nd goal from Houston where once the ball was lost (at half field by the way) there was no effort to press the ball immediately. This allowed the opponent to start their transition and force the attacking players to race back. Mentality there needs to change. Dempsey doesn't need to track back, but he could certainly delay the transition a little better... or just be better balanced when you bring bodies forward to attack
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 11852
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:20 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    I saw a few times in the Montreal game and then the 2nd goal from Houston where once the ball was lost (at half field by the way) there was no effort to press the ball immediately. This allowed the opponent to start their transition and force the attacking players to race back. Mentality there needs to change. Dempsey doesn't need to track back, but he could certainly delay the transition a little better... or just be better balanced when you bring bodies forward to attack


    Definitely need to clean up the careless turnovers that turn into quick counter attack opportunities for the other team.

    That is EXACTLY how most clubs are playing us now, pack it in tight to stop Lodeiro from working the ball through the middle and make breaks on the counter from turnovers.

    Even more of a reason to start Fisher to have good speed on both sides, I also like Morris out wide more than by himself up top.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 11088
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:06 pm
  • Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 3172
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:59 pm
  • Thought that was already a thing? Or was that husky stadium?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1013
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:18 pm
  • The team needs to make a concerted effort to give Lodeiro the ball more. Morris up top is a work in progress and I still believe we need to play Bruin or another forward up top who can distribute in hold up play.

    The Sounders don't appear to have an identity right now...
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1284
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:52 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Thought that was already a thing? Or was that husky stadium?


    It's currently only an NFL thing...
    Kennedyin92
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 488
    Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:51 am


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:39 pm
  • Kennedyin92 wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Thought that was already a thing? Or was that husky stadium?


    It's currently only an NFL thing...

    The NFL, UW, and the Sounders all had similar bag policies last year.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1284
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:25 am
  • knownone wrote:The team needs to make a concerted effort to give Lodeiro the ball more. Morris up top is a work in progress and I still believe we need to play Bruin or another forward up top who can distribute in hold up play.

    The Sounders don't appear to have an identity right now...


    Maybe Lodeiro's touches are down this year a little because Dempsey is back in the lineup, but last year he averaged double the touches of any other player on the pitch routinely.

    Image

    I've already seen an improvement over the first match with distribution and the pace of play, so give it time. People forget it's never the same look or feel year to year, even with the majority of the same players. Dempsey's back, so IMO that is what's looking a little different from the end of last year as far as shape and distribution of the ball trying to get everyone involved.

    But like I said, you can already see an improvement from game 1 to game 3.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 11088
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


PreviousNext


It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 8:19 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests