Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Seattle Sounders Offseason thread
Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:24 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I have to say that doesn't make much sense. Why does one more year in the MLS make more sense than a year in the Bundesliga, EPL, etc.?

His technical game will development as much, probably more, in those much more competitive leagues, no? You can imagine that even the better coaching and competition he'd see in training would help his game more than your average week in the MLS.

If he's good enough (which i think he is, I'm surprised his name has not been out more in the Jan. window rumors) then he should go. If he's not (which maybe he's not) I don't think he will be the player that people want him to be.

I guess it would depend on where in Europe.

In the MLS Morris is a 90 minutes starter and a key player on the Sounders, which provides a very good situation for him to grow.

Yes the competition is better in other leagues, but so is the competition for minutes on his own club. So there's a distinct possibility that he wouldn't even start, or play sparingly for years.

If he goes to a middle to lower table club? Then yes, I could see that being more beneficial than staying here. So I guess it'd depend on the club and situation before I'd agree with you.

Has Yedlin grown as a player since he left? He's now been on three clubs in two years, with a less than stellar appearance mark. It's been better this year at Newcastle.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:42 am
  • always the possibility that Yedlin was never good enough for Europe, especially a top team. He was prone to defensive errors with Seattle in the MLS. He was shifted away from the defensive role with USMNT. Put him in a league with consistent quality and he was exposed.

If Morris is good enough, the league he plays at will bring it out of him.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:22 pm
  • Always thought Yedlin would have been better as a RM with his pace. I think it would be hard to succeed though at a team like Sunderland. They are a mess.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:29 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Always thought Yedlin would have been better as a RM with his pace. I think it would be hard to succeed though at a team like Sunderland. They are a mess.

Jurgen tried that, and it wasn't very successful.

Don't think Yedlin has the technical ability and accurate crosses to be a good RM, especially in the EPL.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:57 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:I have to say that doesn't make much sense. Why does one more year in the MLS make more sense than a year in the Bundesliga, EPL, etc.?

His technical game will development as much, probably more, in those much more competitive leagues, no? You can imagine that even the better coaching and competition he'd see in training would help his game more than your average week in the MLS.

If he's good enough (which i think he is, I'm surprised his name has not been out more in the Jan. window rumors) then he should go. If he's not (which maybe he's not) I don't think he will be the player that people want him to be.

He likely wouldn't get a game right away and would be stuck in a reserve team at a bigger league. He is still super raw. You'll learn more with a regular run of games in the first team than you will with the youth team and MLS is a relatively safe environment to do so and get away with mistakes.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:01 pm
  • Si, Glasgow, knowone, SeatownJay, Smurf, and Sgt. Largent. Thank you for your posts on the international players. I'm not following these leagues as much as I should but your posts about leagues abroad and the players are awesome. They are keeping us informed. One the reasons I love Seahawks.net. Your knowledge about the sport is unparalleled. While there are some areas we may not always agree, I respect your knowledge and your contributions to the site. I'm learning quite a bit from the posts as well. Again, thank you and keep up the great work!!!
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:10 pm
  • The MLS Superdraft happened yesterday,

Sounders traded their first pick (#16) for $75k of General Allocation Money to NYCFC (who originally owned the pick).

With their first pick (#22) they selected CB Brian Nana-Sinkham out of Stanford. He's a 2 time NCAA National Champion and from what I understand pretty good technically and can pass well.

With their second pick (#44) they selected MF Dominic Oduro (Not that one). Oduro is a defensive midfielder more in the mold of a #6 than a #8. He is got some pace to him as well.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:12 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Si, Glasgow, knowone, SeatownJay, Smurf, and Sgt. Largent. Thank you for your posts on the international players. I'm not following these leagues as much as I should but your posts about leagues abroad and the players are awesome. They are keeping us informed. One the reasons I love Seahawks.net. Your knowledge about the sport is unparalleled. While there are some areas we may not always agree, I respect your knowledge and your contributions to the site. I'm learning quite a bit from the posts as well. Again, thank you and keep up the great work!!!

I am always happy to help. Soccer is a huge passion of mine and I love sharing the game with people, even those who I disagree with from time to time. :)
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:57 pm
  • Smurf wrote:The MLS Superdraft happened yesterday,

Sounders traded their first pick (#16) for $75k of General Allocation Money to NYCFC (who originally owned the pick).

With their first pick (#22) they selected CB Brian Nana-Sinkham out of Stanford. He's a 2 time NCAA National Champion and from what I understand pretty good technically and can pass well.

With their second pick (#44) they selected MF Dominic Oduro (Not that one). Oduro is a defensive midfielder more in the mold of a #6 than a #8. He is got some pace to him as well.

Sounds like the stanford guy is a cheap long term replacement for marshall. Sounds like he was good at college but the college standard is questionnable. Hope he plays the open cup games.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:10 am
  • Minnesota United went attacking with their pick. They now have Danladi to pair with Ramirez and Ibarra and Lang underneath. That's a pretty good start, although I'm a bit surprised they went for a college player at #1.

Danladi teammate and MN born Jackson Yueill went #6 to San Jose. Coached against his dad yesterday. Exciting day for MN soccer
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:43 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Minnesota United went attacking with their pick. They now have Danladi to pair with Ramirez and Ibarra and Lang underneath. That's a pretty good start, although I'm a bit surprised they went for a college player at #1.

Danladi teammate and MN born Jackson Yueill went #6 to San Jose. Coached against his dad yesterday. Exciting day for MN soccer

Whats very interesting is how the recent expansion teams are building their rosters.

NYCFC has now paid Triple digit fee's for top picks in the draft (to take american attackers) twice.

Atlanta United is spending A LOT for talent up top and back filling.

The Loons roster seems more well rounded then the others. Will be interesting to see what happens.
    Last edited by Smurf on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:23 pm
  • I think teams learned from nyc fc on how not to build a team . They put all their eggs in the basket with lampard and pretty much had no money, left it too late to build their defense and depth in their first season.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:31 pm
  • Loons... its our state bird.

If Minnesota United is anything like Minnesota FC then it will be built with defense, quick possession and countering. they have 4 players through the middle with those abilities (although I have reservations about Ramirez's abilities and pace at this level).

They will build a strong back line and very good wing backs to add pressure from the width. Davis has been held over from the NASL squad. I'm excited for him. Sort of a James Milner type outside back: converted midfielder, sees the game well and runs into attacking spaces with lots of energy.

Not sure if MU have the finances to do much more at the moment. They have to build their stadium. The Reserve/Academy unit is still "in process" with a deal with Shattuck St. Marys to host it falling through. Now they are going to have a U14 DA team in the Summer and build from there. Not sure where the money will come from.

Will be interesting to see the direction youth soccer takes here in the next 2 years
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:33 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Loons... its our state bird.

If Minnesota United is anything like Minnesota FC then it will be built with defense, quick possession and countering. they have 4 players through the middle with those abilities (although I have reservations about Ramirez's abilities and pace at this level).

They will build a strong back line and very good wing backs to add pressure from the width. Davis has been held over from the NASL squad. I'm excited for him. Sort of a James Milner type outside back: converted midfielder, sees the game well and runs into attacking spaces with lots of energy.

Not sure if MU have the finances to do much more at the moment. They have to build their stadium. The Reserve/Academy unit is still "in process" with a deal with Shattuck St. Marys to host it falling through. Now they are going to have a U14 DA team in the Summer and build from there. Not sure where the money will come from.

Will be interesting to see the direction youth soccer takes here in the next 2 years

Apologies about the wrong letter.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:10 am
  • Stefan Frei has been sent home from the USMNT camp after suffering a sprained ankle.

http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2017/01/ ... -sent-home

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:09 am

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:26 am
  • Smurf wrote:

Only point it out because "Toons" is a real nickname of Newcastle...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:43 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

Only point it out because "Toons" is a real nickname of Newcastle...

Totally get it, I was actually on Newcastle's subreddit reading about Yedlin at the time...so not shocking why I messed up.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:45 pm
  • Former Sounders midfielder, Gonzalo Pineda, has accepted a position on Brian Schmetzers coaching staff. This news coming after Sounders assistant Ante Razov left for LA Galaxy
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:13 am
  • Ivanschitz and Mears both officially gone. Wonder if Evans goes to RB or if they bring in a long term signing there?

Saw a small rumor about Montero coming back. The Chinese league are only allowing 3 foreigners per team and his team have 7. His wife is from Seattle. If Dempsey can't play but be worth keeping an eye on.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:22 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Ivanschitz and Mears both officially gone. Wonder if Evans goes to RB or if they bring in a long term signing there?

Saw a small rumor about Montero coming back. The Chinese league are only allowing 3 foreigners per team and his team have 7. His wife is from Seattle. If Dempsey can't play but be worth keeping an eye on.

IMO Fredy would fit in great, especially with a distributor like Lodeiro feeding him. That was always his issue here, no one to get him the ball or work in tight spaces with him.............cause he still has the quickest feet and shot I've ever seen in a Sounder's kit.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:54 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Ivanschitz and Mears both officially gone. Wonder if Evans goes to RB or if they bring in a long term signing there?

IMO Fredy would fit in great, especially with a distributor like Lodeiro feeding him. That was always his issue here, no one to get him the ball or work in tight spaces with him.............cause he still has the quickest feet and shot I've ever seen in a Sounder's kit.

I liked Montero, when he was on it he was great. He was also streaky as hell at points which infuriated me. Wonder if he ever got more consistency. Always wonder what type of player we would get in return. Feel like Fernandez is a shadow of the player we had in 2011.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:59 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Ivanschitz and Mears both officially gone. Wonder if Evans goes to RB or if they bring in a long term signing there?

I liked Montero, when he was on it he was great. He was also streaky as hell at points which infuriated me. Wonder if he ever got more consistency. Always wonder what type of player we would get in return. Feel like Fernandez is a shadow of the player we had in 2011.

Hard to follow players in China, other than just looking at stats........but yeah he seems to still be a little streaky looking at his stats. Seems to be averaging goals about what he did here, in the 8-12 a year range.

I love Fredy, but he wouldn't be my first choice for a 3rd DP, especially seeing the other rumored names. But I do think he'd fit back in nicely with the current makeup of the club, cause he wouldn't be expected to carry the entire offensive load.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:15 am
  • Interesting article ranking the MLS academies. Seattle is 7th. As a shoutout to Si, SKC is ranked 11th but mentioned as the most improved over the last few years.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-so ... s_aid41352

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:00 pm
  • I've been really impressed with Dallas recent products...do they get good talent from Mexico or is it all coaching?

Surprised the Galaxy are second. Other than Zardes i'd struggle to tell you one of their products, always struck me as a big money signing team.

Speaking of the Sounders, Darwin Jones has left and went to a lower division team. Always thought he looked good for S2 but he seemed to choke/ could never produce for the first team and he got a few chances at points. Wonder if he will develop better at a lower level.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:41 pm
  • Tyrone Mears is reportedly signing with Atlanta United. Curious how that will work out. They have the #1 spot in the allocation order, and I THINK we control Mears MLS rights...

For those wondering, we would need the move up the allocation order to even sign Montero.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:43 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Hard to follow players in China, other than just looking at stats........but yeah he seems to still be a little streaky looking at his stats. Seems to be averaging goals about what he did here, in the 8-12 a year range.

I love Fredy, but he wouldn't be my first choice for a 3rd DP, especially seeing the other rumored names. But I do think he'd fit back in nicely with the current makeup of the club, cause he wouldn't be expected to carry the entire offensive load.

For what its worth, the Rumor reportedly stemmed from inside his own club, and he is no longer listed as a player on their roster.

Montero is one of the most streaky strikers I've ever seen. 6 weeks hes a god, 6 weeks he's just another body on the pitch.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:49 pm
  • I think it has to be at the right cash. I doubt we make a move unless Dempsey quits. We have Dempsey, Bruin and Morris right now. I probably expect us to trade for a depth forward to replace Valdez and Gomez unless there is another star youngster coming through that I don't know about.

I don't think at this point we use a DP spot in that position though given we probably need more midfield quality and a long term RB.

Montero may have made a ridiculous about of money in China though...so maybe money isn't his motivation?

As for Mears, I thought he had declined last year, so not sad about seeing him go. Thought Joevin Jones got better as the season went on. If we move up in the allocation order then that's a bonus.

A bit bummed about Ivanschitz but it had to be at the right price.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:03 pm
  • Training officially started today. I went down this morning to take in the sights and get a good close up look of our cup.

Morris, Evans, and Marshall were all missing, as they are with the US Squad.

Nico Lodeiro was also not at training today.

Frei was present but did not participate due to his ankle injury.

Brian Schmetzer came by and greeted each fan in person, shook their hand and had a quick conversations.

Ozzie ran off to the side by himself all session.

Dempsey was a full participant, and looks pretty good.

Steve Zakuani also participated in training, who knows what that means...if anything.

former USMNT CB Gale Agbossoumonde was also looks to be trialing with the team. He looked pretty decent.

Here is a list of the full roster right now:

A few of the Academy kids also participated today, among them 16 year old Azriel Gonzalez who looked PHENOMENAL.

Fredy Montero was not at practice today, but is in the city (His wife is a native Seattlite, and he owns a home in Bellevue still). So who knows....
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:24 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Montero may have made a ridiculous about of money in China though...so maybe money isn't his motivation?.

I read he's making 10M in China? Is that true? Ridiculous if true, and really a sign that China might singlehandedly ruin the sport of soccer if they keep giving players these insane contracts.

No way in hell the Sounders give him that kind of salary if he comes back.

As much as I love Fredy, I'm fine with leaving that 3rd DP spot open until the summer transfer window if we can't get one of the major transfer rumored players we've been targeting. Especially if Dempsey is good to go, which it sounds like he is now that he's training.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:00 am
  • The China thing is interesting...

I don't see many players taking the bait and heading to China. Some will, some have. The interesting factor here will be what their league looks like in 3 years. Do the likes of Jackson Martinez, Gyan, Guerin, Alex Texiera and Oscar come back to the big clubs with more money in their hands than they can spend? Does China become the landing spot for aging stars that the MLS currently is? Does it take budding stars from mid table teams and the MLS with contracts that aren't reflective of honest value?

The other, less conceivable but more terrifying option is that China just recruits everyone and their league becomes THE league. But I don't see that happening. Russia has been trying to tempt players with those types of contracts for decades (see Hulk, for example) with marginal success
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:10 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:The China thing is interesting...

I don't see many players taking the bait and heading to China. Some will, some have. The interesting factor here will be what their league looks like in 3 years. Do the likes of Jackson Martinez, Gyan, Guerin, Alex Texiera and Oscar come back to the big clubs with more money in their hands than they can spend? Does China become the landing spot for aging stars that the MLS currently is? Does it take budding stars from mid table teams and the MLS with contracts that aren't reflective of honest value?

I think Drogba is the poster child for how these stars will handle playing in big money leagues like China, Russia and now Saudi Arabia is getting into the overpaying game.

If they do go, it'll only be for a year or two..............grab the cash, then come back and finish out their careers in the more reputable leagues.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:21 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:The China thing is interesting...

The other, less conceivable but more terrifying option is that China just recruits everyone and their league becomes THE league. But I don't see that happening. Russia has been trying to tempt players with those types of contracts for decades (see Hulk, for example) with marginal success

It worked for the EPL with sky tv money and sugar daddies. In the 90's Serie A was 'the' league with the glamour and money. Top quality players would never have dreamed of going to teams like Chelsea and Man City who were mid table/relegation types during the 90's. Now you have international players playing for nothing clubs like Watford.

I think with the foreigner rule though that China is going to go down the route of trying to develop its own players. 20 year plan type thing. I still scratch my head seeing Du Wei, a guy who was absolutely atrocious and out of his depth for Celtic in his one game against second division Clyde, is the captain of Hebei China Fortune and plays with Gervinho and is managed by Pellegrini. They may have a long way to go.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:24 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Montero may have made a ridiculous about of money in China though...so maybe money isn't his motivation?.

I read he's making 10M in China? Is that true? Ridiculous if true, and really a sign that China might singlehandedly ruin the sport of soccer if they keep giving players these insane contracts.

As much as I love Fredy, I'm fine with leaving that 3rd DP spot open until the summer transfer window if we can't get one of the major transfer rumored players we've been targeting. Especially if Dempsey is good to go, which it sounds like he is now that he's training.

If he made 10M maybe he'll feel he's made enough money and wants to stay in Bellevue long term and be a semi hero here? Sounders have quick a lot of TAM built up with Mears leaving. Is there even a small chance he could come here as that and not a DP then become a DP in a season or 2 when Dempsey calls it a day?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:38 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:

If he made 10M maybe he'll feel he's made enough money and wants to stay in Bellevue long term and be a semi hero here? Sounders have quick a lot of TAM built up with Mears leaving. Is there even a small chance he could come here as that and not a DP then become a DP in a season or 2 when Dempsey calls it a day?

Isn't Fredy's wife from here? I think so, and that'd make sense that they now want to come back to Seattle.

China seems cool to visit, but I doubt very many players and their family's want to raise their kids there.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:32 pm
  • I believe she is. In some ways the move makes sense- he's played in Europe and probably not good enough to get to a higher level than Sporting Lisbon and had is streak goal scoring run there. He's made a fortune in China so that's probably less of a motivation.

Which leaves MLS where he succeeded in the past. He's still be pretty well paid in MLS. The question is do the Sounders need him if they have Dempsey, Morris and Bruin already? Would he be TAM or a DP?

I guess you could stick Morris wide but that may waste his potential. Dempsey may become more of a bench player this year as he ages (if he comes back) or played more as midfielder. I've no idea if Bruin will be an every game starter.

I'm not sure if there is a glaring need for him until Morris and/or Dempsey go though.

I'd like a RB in and possibly another winger at least.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:10 am
  • Fredy's wife is from Seattle.

He owns a home in Bellevue.

He is no longer listed as a player of his club in China.

The Chinese League just came down hard on teams on spending. They are now only allowed to field 3 foreign born players, total, in any game. Montero's club currently has 7 internationals on it, not counting Montero. I believe one of the players has to be a Chinese U-23.

This is destroying the market for Korean, and Japanese players in China and over inflating Chinese youth players.

With Atlanta moving forward with Guzan, it means that we would be negotiating with The Loons, which is a much better position than trying to deal with Atlanta.

It's possible.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:54 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    With Atlanta moving forward with Guzan, it means that we would be negotiating with The Loons, which is a much better position than trying to deal with Atlanta.

It's possible.

MN has their two strikers...

Although Ramirez is a bit of an unknown for this level
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:44 am
  • Story on Montero being in Seattle right now

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2017/1/25 ... ders-rumor

Right now we sit 20th in allocation order, so hard to see Montero making it all the way to Seattle if he comes back to the MLS.

But we've also been trading players for allocation money, so maybe that's a sign Lagerwey is hording allocation to throw at a team to jump up to get Fredy.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:23 pm
  • Smurf wrote:Fredy's wife is from Seattle.

The Chinese League just came down hard on teams on spending. They are now only allowed to field 3 foreign born players, total, in any game. Montero's club currently has 7 internationals on it, not counting Montero. I believe one of the players has to be a Chinese U-23.

This is destroying the market for Korean, and Japanese players in China and over inflating Chinese youth players.

It's possible.

Hmmm...this is interesting. Does the player have any say in which team he wants to play for? Or does he have to go where MLS tells him to go. What are the repercussions if the player doesn't want to go the team with allocation priority. Are they forced to sit out? It seems very restrictive if this is the case.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:47 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Fredy's wife is from Seattle.

It's possible.

Hmmm...this is interesting. Does the player have any say in which team he wants to play for? Or does he have to go where MLS tells him to go. What are the repercussions if the player doesn't want to go the team with allocation priority. Are they forced to sit out? It seems very restrictive if this is the case.

He was sold for more than $1 Million, so he is subject to the League Allocation order. He would sign a contract with the league and be allocated to the club with the top spot in the order (The Loons, now). We would have to move up to that spot to get him.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:17 pm
  • I usually just watch international soccer because I have no idea who the players are. My question is.... Will the Sounders be in the hunt for a playoff berth like the Mariners or are they the real deal if they fix a couple things like the Seahawks? I understand they won the MLS title last year. So will they still be serious contenders this year? Soccer is even more fluid then baseball or basketball let alone football. So I'm curious.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:19 am
  • Josea16 wrote:I usually just watch international soccer because I have no idea who the players are. My question is.... Will the Sounders be in the hunt for a playoff berth like the Mariners or are they the real deal if they fix a couple things like the Seahawks? I understand they won the MLS title last year. So will they still be serious contenders this year? Soccer is even more fluid then baseball or basketball let alone football. So I'm curious.

Since they joined MLS in 2009, they have never missed the playoffs. The pedigree of this club is to contend for the league title every year.

Year in, Year out, we will be in the hunt. Always have.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:47 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:

Yeah I like the U24 DP rule, but it's been very hard for MLS clubs to compete for the top underage talent with the bigger leagues. Some good players have come into MLS....................Torres, Diaz, Castillo, and a couple others I can't remember at the moment.

The problem with the Sounders I think is they're not big on just getting a player on loan, they want their rights via transfer. Like I said very few clubs are willing to part with their young stars outright, the most is like the Walkes signing, 6 month loans.

Not saying it fits the Sounders model but I like the idea of MLS teams taking chances on young talent, whether in purchase or loan.

The Spurs thing is real interesting. I'm certain they passed up many Championship offers for the player only to send him to America. Would love to hear the reasoning.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:28 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    The Spurs thing is real interesting. I'm certain they passed up many Championship offers for the player only to send him to America. Would love to hear the reasoning.

Probably because of the season difference. If you have a young player that's not getting minutes on the pitch, send him to an MLS club to get quality match minutes, then call him back before your season starts in the fall.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:29 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Probably because of the season difference. If you have a young player that's not getting minutes on the pitch, send him to an MLS club to get quality match minutes, then call him back before your season starts in the fall.

again, he could get all that in the Championship and be within miles of the home club...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:47 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

again, he could get all that in the Championship and be within miles of the home club...

I did read that Atlanta's President used to be the executive director at Tottenham, so maybe that relationship helped.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information