Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Of the players the Sounders declined on, I'd like to see Ivanschitz back. He was decent and still could be a key player next season.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sounds like another move may be in the works as well.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattpentz/status/812042128985559040[/tweet]

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2pmdgz6n said:
SeatownJay":2pmdgz6n said:
Sounds like another move may be in the works as well.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattpentz/status/812042128985559040[/tweet]

Holy moly do I hope it's this rumor that came out yesterday

http://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders- ... sfer-rumor

Can you imagine?

I SAID CAN YOU IMAGINE!!!???

This would be fantastic. The Lodeiro connection to Benedetto is a major advantage here. Hope this happens. If it does, it may mean the end of Clint Dempsey in Seattle. Sounders still need to add depth in many areas. Having Benedetto, Lodeiro, and Dempsey could be a huge strain on the finances.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2ztta56l said:
This would be fantastic. The Lodeiro connection to Benedetto is a major advantage here. Hope this happens. If it does, it may mean the end of Clint Dempsey in Seattle. Sounders still need to add depth in many areas. Having Benedetto, Lodeiro, and Dempsey could be a huge strain on the finances.

The Lodeiro connection is what gives me hope that this rumor has some teeth to it. It's no secret that Benedetto loved playing with Lodeiro.

I also don't think this means the end of Dempsey. Benedetto can play winger, which means Dempsey can stay up top and roam like he likes to do.

Wanna see a bomb?

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/y ... tto-092516

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The other move is a trade with Houston for Will Bruin.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/elgretsch/status/812362048218791936[/tweet]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3rd851or said:
Sgt. Largent":3rd851or said:
According to the translation of the tweet in the article he's staying at Boca until June, meaning he can still be a midseason pick-up a la Lodiero

Yep, wasn't a coincidence that the Bruin signing was literally minutes after this probably fell through.

Looks like we're gonna hold off on another DP until June, which is fine.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
So im assuming bruin and shipp aren't dp's? Writing is on the wall for Valdez.

Would like to know soon whats happening with dempsey.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":24w58vx2 said:

yeah neither is a DP. Bruin makes 300k a year and Shipp only 105k per year. Both can easily fit under our cap, especially with guys like Ivanschitz and Mears gone.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1rame7jk said:

Valdez was told he wouldn't be back unless he took a big paycut.

knownone

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Shipp deal the kids got potential to play for the national team but he's bounced in between pretty bad situations over the last few years. If Seattle gives him a chance he could be a fixture in the first 11 for the next 5-10 years.

Both Bruin and Shipp provide youth and depth which is a plus given the guys they are replacing are 32+ years of age.

In my eyes, a move for Benedetto would signal the end of Dempsey as they both succeed in roughly the same role, mostly due to Dempsey's age. The rumor of Soudani makes much more sense for the Sounders if they intend to keep Dempsey, Soudani is a creative player with pace and striking ability which IMO the Sounders desperately need going forward to create balance in the attack in the presence of Dempsey's diminishing pace. I'm not saying Benedetto, Dempsey, Morris, and Lodeiro wouldn't succeed... I just feel that Soudani would make the Sounders a much more dangerous team with Dempsey around.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounders are linked to a couple of Japanese players- Hiroshi Kiyotake and Keisuke Honda - http://www.sounderatheart.com/2016/12/28/14106168/sounders-hiroshi-kiyotake

I'm not sold on these guys but who knows they may be good players in rave green. If they signed them, it'll be a "meh" type of emotion from me. I'd rather they kept Ivanschitz over Kiyotake. Kiyotake would probably cost more than Ivanschitz too. As for Honda, I prefer a Lexus or BMW.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":34kb74ue said:
Sounders are linked to a couple of Japanese players- Hiroshi Kiyotake and Keisuke Honda - http://www.sounderatheart.com/2016/12/28/14106168/sounders-hiroshi-kiyotake

I'm not sold on these guys but who knows they may be good players in rave green. If they signed them, it'll be a "meh" type of emotion from me. I'd rather they kept Ivanschitz over Kiyotake. Kiyotake would probably cost more than Ivanschitz too. As for Honda, I prefer a Lexus or BMW.

I saw the Honda rumor earlier in the week, seems far fetched.............even though he isn't happy right now at AC Milan, he's not even starting.

And he's 30, not the type of DP I want us going after, even though I think he'd be a poor man's Ichiro if he played in Seattle, he'd have a HUGE following.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37qjkwmy said:
hawkfan68":37qjkwmy said:

I saw the Honda rumor earlier in the week, seems far fetched.............even though he isn't happy right now at AC Milan, he's not even starting.

And he's 30, not the type of DP I want us going after, even though I think he'd be a poor man's Ichiro if he played in Seattle, he'd have a HUGE following.

Good point about Honda having a huge following. Didn't consider that until you brought it up. Honda's production has tailed off quite a bit. He scored in double digits in 2009 but since then he's not been much of a scoring threat. He would an ok signing if they hadn't picked up Bruin. Bruin has a potential to be better and is a younger player.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":38httu4x said:
Sgt. Largent":38httu4x said:
hawkfan68":38httu4x said:

Good point about Honda having a huge following. Didn't consider that until you brought it up. Honda's production has tailed off quite a bit. He scored in double digits in 2009 but since then he's not been much of a scoring threat. He would an ok signing if they hadn't picked up Bruin. Bruin has a potential to be better and is a younger player.

Now Kiyotake? That's another story.

Dude is fast as hell, and a more accurate passer than Honda........and younger (26, 27?). Plus he's a natural winger, so it wouldn't mess with Morris having to change position or formation. He's already got a goal and two assists in three matches with Sevilla.