2017 Mariners spring training thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
All Mariners Spring Training discussion goes here. I'll be closing the old thread shortly.

GO M's!

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2yz7on7i said:
All Mariners Spring Training discussion goes here. I'll be closing the old thread shortly.

GO M's!
A solid 13-3 win in a game that doesn't count towards the standings that don't count. :?

Nice to hear that Cruz went yard in his first AB, along with DJ Peterson having a good game.
Dyson manufactured a run as well with his legs.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I never really pay much attention to spring training as it usually doesn't mean a lot. Going to spring training is awesome though, did it as a kid about 15-20 years ago and it was a blast. Might have to try to get down there again.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2b0o3dbo said:
I never really pay much attention to spring training as it usually doesn't mean a lot. Going to spring training is awesome though, did it as a kid about 15-20 years ago and it was a blast. Might have to try to get down there again.
Stats don't mean a lot in ST, the work does though.

Yeah, I went down there in 1998 and 1999 and had a blast. I recommend it to any serious baseball fan.
Also saw the M's play in Vegas once @ Cashman field.

Crizilla

Reaction score
has there been any confirmation if they will keep the retro hat logo?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1il72cjw said:

I've always wanted to go too. Never worked out though. Now that I have two young boys (3 and 1) will need to make myself schedule the trip when they can appreciate it. In a few years.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":31w3gz65 said:
Hawk-Lock":31w3gz65 said:
Stats don't mean a lot in ST, the work does though.

Yeah, I went down there in 1998 and 1999 and had a blast. I recommend it to any serious baseball fan.
Also saw the M's play in Vegas once @ Cashman field.

Health, thats the biggest thing. Get into playing shape and stay healthy.

It seems theres usually one player that comes out of nowhere. hoping it's a power arm for the pen this year. Need extra help down there.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Well it's only spring training but at 4-1 they look decent so far. Segura is on a tear, Boog Powell is hitting great and Smyly had a good 1st outing.

Zunino is hitting his customary .200 so he's in the groove. And Gallardo got absolutely shelled and was also wild in his debut.

I sure would prefer Miranda in the #5 spot. I'm also wary about Felix and Iwakuma's health and decline. I thought we would've made another move for a RF spot too. I'm not convinced by any means Haniger is the answer.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Added another pitcher too.

Teams off to an intriguing start. Excited (hesitantly)

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Uncle Si":vogioemh said:

Spring training is like pre season, it doesn't mean anything...until it does. The hawks won a bunch of preseason games years back cause their roster was so deep. Their backups and backups backups were throttling people. Cautiously optimistic trader Jerry is building good organizational depth. We know the front end talents there.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
gowazzu02":kkqi9r76 said:
Uncle Si":kkqi9r76 said:

Spring training is like pre season, it doesn't mean anything...until it does. The hawks won a bunch of preseason games years back cause their roster was so deep. Their backups and backups backups were throttling people. Cautiously optimistic trader Jerry is building good organizational depth. We know the front end talents there.

Nobody is mistaking preseason for regular season. But, if the team was 0-6 instead of 5-1 I would imagine there would be a different tone. Every pitch, every at bat "means something." Even outside of actual record there are significant signs of promise.

The lineup has been overhauled and for the most part, early on, the new players are showing quality. Cruz and Cano do not seem to have lost any bat speed and the GM seems to have a specific plan.

I do not think Jerry is building organizational depth. Opposite really. He just traded 2 players and DFA'd another to bring in a pitcher who is much closer to helping the main club then any of the 3 players shipped out.

This is a brand new team, built with a lot of moving parts. So far, those parts seem to be off to a promising start.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2y5r5yfv said:
gowazzu02":2y5r5yfv said:
Uncle Si":2y5r5yfv said:

Nobody is mistaking preseason for regular season. But, if the team was 0-6 instead of 5-1 I would imagine there would be a different tone. Every pitch, every at bat "means something." Even outside of actual record there are significant signs of promise.

The lineup has been overhauled and for the most part, early on, the new players are showing quality. Cruz and Cano do not seem to have lost any bat speed and the GM seems to have a specific plan.

I do not think Jerry is building organizational depth. Opposite really. He just traded 2 players and DFA'd another to bring in a pitcher who is much closer to helping the main club then any of the 3 players shipped out.

This is a brand new team, built with a lot of moving parts. So far, those parts seem to be off to a promising start.

Feel like the Mariners always do well in preseason in the desert air then come back to Seattle and some players struggle to hit at Safeco.

This year will be make or break depending on Cruz and Cano not getting old this year and continuing to hit the way they have, Felix being better than he was last year and Paxton finally staying healthy. On top of that hoping the pitching at the bottom of the rotation is a least competent.

So many if's and buts at this point.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Is there a way to watch Mariners games if you aren't in front of your tv? I have a comcast login but there doesn't appear to be a root sports app to stream it nor an option to on comcasts app.

I have the at bat app but it blacks out in market games.

Just seems super inconvenient.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sounds like football they have to make things hard

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2901so1k said:
Is there a way to watch Mariners games if you aren't in front of your tv? I have a comcast login but there doesn't appear to be a root sports app to stream it nor an option to on comcasts app.

I have the at bat app but it blacks out in market games.

Just seems super inconvenient.

Nope. Only way with the Comcast app would be if the game was on any of the ESPN networks then you could stream out of home. MLB Network isn't available in the out of home stream neither is root sports. I believe most games are aired on 710AM seattle tho

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Anyone watching the WBC? Honestly it's the first time i've ever paid attention to Segura, and boy does he look good!

Cruz had the big game winning homer vs the US on Friday. Segura went 3-5 with the big double that broke the game vs colombia open in the 11th inning.

Cano has been unusually quiet.

But all in all I am very excited for our offense this year.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Good close game today, Ms and Brewers each scored a FG! :)

Oh wait nevermind, Brewers also scored three TDs. :(

Largent80

Reaction score
Mariners lose 24-3.

They give up 3 TD's and a field goal, and can only muster a field goal of their own.

How tragic. The O-Line SUCKED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts