Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Well this was a game that sums up the year and this era:

Miranda had a no-hitter through 6, struck out 5, walked 6 with the score tied 1-1. (Walked the bases loaded in the 3rd, sac fly to score) Servais started the 7th with Pazos and Pagan likely due to 112 pitches for Miranda. Pazos and Pagan give up 2 runs and we lose 3-1, despite just 2 hits for Houston. Truly a creative and most Marineresque way to lose and to fall back under .500.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Ya, we finally get a few quality starts back to back and our offense goes back into hiding. This team is just out of sync, and I really think a lot of it is mental. M's need a Pete Carroll type leader. Servais is just a bore. The calm, cool, collected type only works if you're a mastermind at managing the game (Torre, Bochy, Francona, etc). I think we would have 4-5 more wins right now with McLendon.

Maddon lifted the Cubs curse, maybe he can lift ours too?

Angels take 2nd wild card spot it looks like. This upcoming series against them is theeee season.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Tough loss TBS. One would hope that by this time of year they could learn to beat playoff caliber teams.

Not yet, apparently.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Anytime you have bad starting pitching like we do, the season going to be a roller coaster. No different than an NFL team that has no reliable running game and a bad defense. You can't expect to outscore everyone each week.

Interesting move to go with Moore tonight and go with Leake tomorrow. I wonder if they are almost conceding this series with hopes of beating the Angels.

I think we stay in the race til the end, but fall short by no more than a few games. I haven't compared schedules, but I'd think Minnesota has the best chance as their division arguably has the two worst teams in the AL. A win tonight would be nice, hopefully the bats wake up.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• SOS
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• What a disappointment. Another year of losing baseball. 40 years of heartache
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• What it feels like to be a Mariners fan ...

... Year ... After Freaking Year ... AUGH.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• There's really no words anymore...you just endure the pain... decade after decade.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• You all know they are still only 3 games out of a WC spot right?Shocking I know...
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• This upcoming series against the Angels is almost a must win.

The second wildcard sure adds hope and drama to the MLB season, but to be honest, none of the second wildcard teams are very good. There is a reason why no one is running away with it. I think most these teams are pretty average.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:You all know they are still only 3 games out of a WC spot right?Shocking I know...

3.5 back but 2 games under .500 with 6 teams ahead of us and we've lost 7 out of 10. It ain't happenin'.

They would need to be about 7 games over .500 to be in a competitive position at the end. Honestly, even if Paxton and Felix were healthy, they still wouldn't get there. The offensive production has sizzled, the bullpen not quite what it was and the defense has inexplicably been poor lately.

I'll still tune in and watch but I'm looking at who to keep and get rid of for next year.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:You all know they are still only 3 games out of a WC spot right?Shocking I know...

3.5 back but 2 games under .500 with 6 teams ahead of us and we've lost 7 out of 10. It ain't happenin'.

They would need to be about 7 games over .500 to be in a competitive position at the end. Honestly, even if Paxton and Felix were healthy, they still wouldn't get there. The offensive production has sizzled, the bullpen not quite what it was and the defense has inexplicably been poor lately.

I'll still tune in and watch but I'm looking at who to keep and get rid of for next year.

If we had Paxton and Felix I think we would make the playoffs. If they both came back tomorrow, I'd give us a 50% chance of making it from 3 GB. The offense looked bad against Houston, but we aced three really good starting pitchers. The bats will get back on track against the Angels who don't have much pitching.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Dang... Angie Mentink of ROOT sports has cancer. That's sad. Hope she's able to beat it. She looks to be in good spirits so that's a good start.
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Good win tonight. Nice to break the Angels curse the M's seem to play under.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I'm kinda done with this current mariners roster, I rather be the worst team in baseball for awhile then year after year of around .500 baseball. This team has no fire, no passion and it shows they win just enough to keep you hopefully but never enough to prove they care. Cano, felix, all of them might as well be traded for farm, and a brighter future if anyone would take them for anything.

We have been cursed since 2001, 3 games out from the wildcard I think but I have zero hope they will pull within 1 game again, just to drop an easy string of games.
    jpetty38
    NET Bench Warmer

• Not sure how much Cano and Felix could get you at this point. I don't think anyone will touch Felix with his injuries and his big contract. While Cano is still productive, he is going to be 35 in October and everyone knows he isn't worth what he is giong to get paid the last 5 years of his contract. I would assume if we traded him we would have to eat some of his contract.

The guys who we can get value for would be Cruz, Seager, Segura, a lot of the bullpen guys and Paxton. I personally don't see us parting ways with any of those guys with the exception to Cruz. At this point, I think it's pretty clear Dipoto is going to go for it again next year. All these trades we pulled off this season were guys who we can keep for at least the next couple years. I'm okay going for it next year. Solidify the rotation and we should make the playoffs next season, at least i hope.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:You all know they are still only 3 games out of a WC spot right?Shocking I know...

If we had Paxton and Felix I think we would make the playoffs. If they both came back tomorrow, I'd give us a 50% chance of making it from 3 GB. The offense looked bad against Houston, but we aced three really good starting pitchers. The bats will get back on track against the Angels who don't have much pitching.

Your if is granted as both are coming back next week.
    I know there is a chance they can get in so I'm not killing this year yet.
    This team with a decent staff can get real hot and anything can happen in the playoffs.
    We have the hitting most of the time anyway.Healthy #1-2 starters would be huge
    GO M's and HAWKS!!!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Pax, Felix, Ramirez, Leake, Albers is a rotation I feel very confident in as long as the bats are consistent.

Casey Lawrence can go for sure though.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:Pax, Felix, Ramirez, Leake, Albers is a rotation I feel very confident in as long as the bats are consistent.

Casey Lawrence can go for sure though.

Pax and Felix = Prosise and Lacy.

One talented and always hurt and the other fat and past his prime.

Felix should've been traded at the deadline 2 years ago. We would've gotten excellent prospects that would help us now. Instead we're left with a #5 caliber pitcher who through injuries/poor conditioning is basically done. Color me not real enthused that he's coming back for maybe 2 starts to finish the season. The King's Court is adjourned.

I am very excited however about Leake and Albers' future here.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Felix will return on Thursday and Paxton the following day on Friday.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Miranda should not be in the rotation after this week. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he hasn't looked good for the past couple months.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• So have we all reached a comfort level with Zunino? If he keeps this up, I"m pretty comfortable with him starting.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:So have we all reached a comfort level with Zunino? If he keeps this up, I"m pretty comfortable with him starting.

At this point he is what he is. A streaky hitter with some power. Dude was hitting .190 on May 31 with only 1 home run, then he hit .304 in June with 10 home runs, then followed that up with a .188 average in July but added 5 more home runs. Looks like September might be another hot month for him, he's currently hitting .394 for the month with 4 homers.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• SeatownJay wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:So have we all reached a comfort level with Zunino? If he keeps this up, I"m pretty comfortable with him starting.

At this point he is what he is. A streaky hitter with some power. Dude was hitting .190 on May 31 with only 1 home run, then he hit .304 in June with 10 home runs, then followed that up with a .188 average in July but added 5 more home runs. Looks like September might be another hot month for him, he's currently hitting .394 for the month with 4 homers.

.248 with 25 hr and 2 weeks to go. You could do a lot worse at catcher. His 470 foot blast was ultra impressive the other day.

Even more impressive are the Cleveland Indians. 22 in a row, AL record, 2nd best winning streak all time. Truly incredible and almost unbelievable in the modern age.

Great to see all the M's bats catch fire lately. Curious to see how Paxton does tonight.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Damn Twins are SO HOT RIGHT NOW
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• There aren't many good catchers. If you can hit around .250 with 25+ HR's you are a top 10 catcher. Catcher is like the TE of baseball, it isn't very deep.

I think M's go on a roll here, even with Houston series coming up. The problem is the Twins keep winning. I don't see us catching the Twins, but I think we are the biggest threat to them.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• I'm really hating the Astros.. they just seem to have our number.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• They're damn good. Very capable of beating the Indians
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:I'm really hating the Astros.. they just seem to have our number.

They have better pitching and better hitting. Other than that we can kick their asses. :34853_doh:

Kind of sad. I was actually worried that we had too much hope attached with Felix's return. He ended up having a better outing than Pax did. Meanwhile, the 2017 window is rapidly closing on us.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Crizilla wrote:They're damn good. Very capable of beating the Indians

I still like the Indians to come out of the AL. Best starting pitching in the AL, a great bullpen and a stacked lineup. They basically have the same lineup from last years World Series team with the additions of Encarnacion and Bruce.

Without the addition of Verlander I wouldn't have considered the Astros to come out the AL, but they definitely have a shot. The problem with Houston, is their ace isn't as good as Kluber or Sale.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• I give up...
    Too many injuries and it took it's toll but the team played tough all year.
    Hope they can improve and stay healthy next year..Please!
    Maybe Gaylord Perry can still pitch :lol:
    See you next year fellow M's fan.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• A positive in light of the ongoing Mariner collapse is Mike Leake. Another outstanding outing for him. Very much looking forward to him near the front of the rotation next year. He's very durable, unlike Paxton and keeps himself in shape, unlike Felix. 6 straight years with 30 or more starts and very consistent with ERAs in the 3s every year. Definitely one of the better Dipoto moves.

Vincent, like last year, has been overused by Servais and is showing signs of arm fatigue. A real shame, but typical Servais pitching mismanagement.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Terrible outing by Felix. 3 1/3 5 ER, 3 BB. Overall another real shit year by him. He offers absolutely nothing, is hurt half the time and of course no one would want his contract. 7 years, $175 mil-what a joke. I wish he would just retire in the offseason...but he won't and we'll have to endure another 15 hapless, mediocre starts next year and multiple DL stops. To those that thought once Felix and Paxton come back we'd make a run--nope.

I was really optimistic about this team at various points, and when you grew up watching the piss show this organization has put out for 40 years it really wears on you...and then you get this nasty thing called hope and you get burned again.

If you told me as a kid watching in the Kingdome Jim Presley, Alvin Davis, Harold, Langston, Hendu, Phelps, Gorman Thomas, Gar, Omar, Matt Moore, Mike Morgan etc that 30 some years later this team will never have even been to the Series once, I don't know what I would've thought. Would I still have watched so passionately? Probably so. 17 year postseason drought continues into next year now.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I was afraid of this. All the hope attached to getting Felix back and him having such disappointing outings. Frankly, I don't expect much more out of Pax tonight. Not mathematically eliminated yet, but with Cleveland coming in this weekend, odds are the M's are doomed. Nobody with any brains would bet on this team now.

Couple of gems in the bullpen they found this year going forward, but they should just shut down all of the "King's Court" BS. It's become a sad joke. I'm beginning to wonder why they would give him two more starts. When was his last quality start? July?

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• West TX Hawk wrote:Terrible outing by Felix. 3 1/3 5 ER, 3 BB. Overall another real shit year by him. He offers absolutely nothing, is hurt half the time and of course no one would want his contract. 7 years, $175 mil-what a joke. I wish he would just retire in the offseason...but he won't and we'll have to endure another 15 hapless, mediocre starts next year and multiple DL stops. To those that thought once Felix and Paxton come back we'd make a run--nope.

I was really optimistic about this team at various points, and when you grew up watching the piss show this organization has put out for 40 years it really wears on you...and then you get this nasty thing called hope and you get burned again.

If you told me as a kid watching in the Kingdome Jim Presley, Alvin Davis, Harold, Langston, Hendu, Phelps, Gorman Thomas, Gar, Omar, Matt Moore, Mike Morgan etc that 30 some years later this team will never have even been to the Series once, I don't know what I would've thought. Would I still have watched so passionately? Probably so. 17 year postseason drought continues into next year now.

I hear you on the wears on you part.I was there too same as you,remember Julio Cruz?lol
    I can only offer you the thought of Cubs fans..A lot of generations of die hards passed before they won.
    I'm a Mariner die hard and I can't root for any team above the only one I grew up with and saw.
    The best I can do is make the Cubs my NL team but between the two-It's the Mariners.
    Someday it will be our time,I may not be around then but I will know somehow.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Pathetic way to end the season, getting swept at home to the Rangers. They were likely not going to make the playoffs, but I thought they could at least make things interesting. With the Twins playing a series on the road against the Yankees and Angels playing the Indians, we had a chance to at least cut it to within a couple games of the second wildcard.

Whoever gets this second wildcard is going to lose to the Yanks. Neither us, the Angels or the Twins are very good.

I think we go for it again next year, but we need to get at least a couple more starting pitchers. Dipoto cannot depend on Felix next year. As much as I like our offense, we need to have more leaders. Maybe I'm wrong, but at times it feels like Cano is just collecting his paycheck and going through the motions.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Sure didn't see that coming. Ramirez one-hits the Indians for 8 innings, and Cruz with the walk off homer in the bottom of the ninth.

About 95% chance that it's too little too late, but qute a nice little win.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• The errors the errors.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• So who makes it to 40 homers this year, Cruz or Miranda? :34853_doh:

I think we pissed Cleveland off yesterday. :(

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:So who makes it to 40 homers this year, Cruz or Miranda?

Going down to the wire for sure but I think they both reach this important milestone.

After today's pathetic, hapless effort in which we're just 2 more losses away from clinching a losing season, the evaluation has been made...the entire organization...will be put down. It's just time and for the good of everyone involved. Say your goodbyes while you can. There'll be no more pain at least. It'll be quick and easy and the M's will just go to sleep-they were 40 years old afterall. So when you see the giant needle from Space being injected into Safeco, don't cry and don't fret, the franchise will just be in a better place.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• You guys are still watching? The season is over. Another awful season in the books. We belong with the Cleveland Browns and Sacramento Kings. Just horrible sports franchises. I enjoy how the M's are celebrating their 40 year anniversary, like we have anything to show in those 40 years. All we have to brag about is our epic 2001 season that ended early in the playoffs and Griffey.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:You guys are still watching? The season is over. Another awful season in the books. We belong with the Cleveland Browns and Sacramento Kings. Just horrible sports franchises. I enjoy how the M's are celebrating their 40 year anniversary, like we have anything to show in those 40 years. All we have to brag about is our epic 2001 season that ended early in the playoffs and Griffey.

Well, we had a couple of playoff appearances in the 90's IIRC. This year, we put too much reliance on old pitchers with not enough left in the tank. Then, coming down to the wire, we gave Felix and Pax 4 rehab starts. :34853_doh:

Not sure what to think about the hitting. Looks good on paper, but put up a good starter and they wilt. And errors? Stupid base running gaffes? Cursed.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• And we enter the final weekend of the season. It's still strange how it always seemed like this year's team was so much more talented than last year's but could just never put it altogether. And then they all just fell apart at the end. Even without the injuries, I don't think they would've made the playoffs.

Next year brings many questions even if fully healthy. The only 2 SP you could pencil in would be Paxton and Leake. Albers could compete for a back end spot and the rest is really up in the air. You can't really count Felix because he'll be hurt or ineffective half the year. Paxton won't stay healthy for the full year either and will be on the DL once or twice so they need 5-6 others to rely on over the course of the season. They need a serious upgrade and I hope they're willing to spend some in FA for a marquee arm.

Gamel and Haniger had nice rookie seasons and are bona fide starting OFers. Seager disappointed this season-do they consider trading him in a package deal to get a big name SP? If they're just .500 by the break next year will they go young and trade away Cruz? Cano? Would anyone want Felix and his ridiculous contract? Could they acquire any decent prospects? Do we really want to rebuild yet again? What's the over/under on total trades Dipoto makes this offseason? 4? 5? Will be an interesting offseason but myself like the entire fanbase simply want a playoff team...
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Is Cruz a free agent now? I'd like to re-sign him but at any point he could get old and fall apart.

I take it Iwakuma is gone and probably done.

Would take anything for Felix tbh to get his salary off the books.

Does Smyly come back or will we leave that?

Cano slowed down a bit this year which is worrying given the amount of years left on his contract.

Got to be a big focus on starting pitching in the off season.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• I love watching Mariners baseball so much, win or lose. The season finale in any season is the longest day of the year for me. Knowing that the next M's game won't be for another 5 months(long months it seems). Football games are exciting to watch, but there's just something about M's baseball that keeps my happiness up during the year. Don't give me all the crap about the fact that they suck and it's the same year every year. I'll admit I stop paying full attention around September, but I realize during the last game of the year that I should've kept watching games because there will be a point in the year where it will all end and I have to enjoy it.

The thing that makes baseball so awesome compared to Football and basketball, there's a hundred and sixty to ball games a year. Football has 13-16 games and basketball has between 30-82. Baseball games are played everyday and is a part of my summer life, something I have to look forward to watch when I get home from work.

But I will learn to get over it a couple of weeks in, because I know it will be March 29th before I know it. It's always a pleasure to watch M's baseball.

Go M's.
    dumbrabbit
    NET Veteran

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Is Cruz a free agent now? I'd like to re-sign him but at any point he could get old and fall apart.

Cruz is signed through 2018.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I have a feeling this is a good get for the M's. And team control for 4 years I believe.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:35 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information